What host should I use?

jucmaluco's Avatar jucmaluco5/28/16 8:56 pm
5/30/2016 9:43 pm
Civeberg's Avatar Civeberg
Hello guys!
After playing Minecraft for lots of years I now want to create an server. My only question is:

Should I host my own server? If no, is Shockbyte good as a server host?
jucmaluco
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/30/2016 9:43 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Darklord__GabeN
What? made to look nice? do you have an previous moderating experience? These rules exist because the moderators didn't want PMC to become a minecraft host review website, just like they didn't want PMC to become PCPartsPicker, but that's too late.
Rules exist for a reason, and we are not ones to argue with the rules, upon registration to Planet Minecraft you agreed to follow these rules, and if they do not fit you, you are free to leave at any time.

Moderating experience has nothing to do with this, but yes, I do.

Allowing players to post links such as this would not in any way turn the site into a minecraft review website. Of course there'd be people doing it, but it's forums and there are difference categories and having a "Review" or "Non-PMC" related category that allows this type of stuff would solve any problem you presented just now.

I never said I wasn't going to follow the rules, so I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. I'm saying the rule is silly and no one can think of a valid point why we should have that rule. Part picker threads don't plague the site and allowing referrals wouldn't either. There can be specific categories as that's what forums are for. if they wanted strictly Minecraft related threads they shouldn't have allowed "General Discussion" or anything similar.
05/30/2016 9:29 am
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Darklord__GabeN
What? made to look nice? do you have an previous moderating experience? These rules exist because the moderators didn't want PMC to become a minecraft host review website, just like they didn't want PMC to become PCPartsPicker, but that's too late.
Rules exist for a reason, and we are not ones to argue with the rules, upon registration to Planet Minecraft you agreed to follow these rules, and if they do not fit you, you are free to leave at any time.

Several times I've heard moderators (and even Paril) tell me that the rules are not set in stone and are more akin to guidelines. Therefore, they should not be enforced like hard-set rules.

I've argued your point many times - a rule said one thing and a moderator enforced it differently - and I always got the same response when questioning the action. It's not worth the effort when the rules you're debating about are not set in stone. The moderators can essentially enforce however they want so long as they don't severely overstep their bounds, but luckily most of the staff I've encountered has been level-headed enough not to start screwing people over just because they can. Do I think we need a proper set of rules? Of course. However, does the current system work? For the most part it does, due to the pretty decent staff.
05/30/2016 5:38 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
learn ubuntu command line, and get a vps, most of them r 8gb for less than 20 a month
05/30/2016 3:45 am
Level 1 : New Taco
Darklord__GabeN
iCalebach
LeeTheENTP
Darklord__GabeN
The particular thread i linked above has nothing to do with PC parts.

Directly from the rule referenced in that thread: "You may not post in any manner which promotes, or is intended to promote or generate revenue, for a business enterprise, or commercial activity."

If we can post PC part lists, why can't people suggest server hosts?

Because the rules here are quite frankly just made to look professional and not much actual professional thought went into it. The only reason they'd block links to other websites (Referrals are blocked??? really??) Is because they're scared of losing their members to these sites, which is just silly. If people ASK for referrals, people should be able to give them. I'm not saying people should go around saying "USE THIS HOST:" without a reason, but if someone specifically asks for information, we should be able to give it especially since it has no negative impact on PMC itself.

Besides,

The only reason they'd block links to other websites (Referrals are blocked??? really??) Is because they're scared of losing their members to these sites

Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?
05/29/2016 3:04 am
Darklord__GabeN
05/29/2016 11:24 am
Leeberator
But posting lists of PC parts for people asking for builds is alright?
05/29/2016 3:45 pm
Darklord__GabeN
The particular thread i linked above has nothing to do with PC parts.
05/29/2016 6:56 pm
Leeberator
Directly from the rule referenced in that thread: "You may not post in any manner which promotes, or is intended to promote or generate revenue, for a business enterprise, or commercial activity."

If we can post PC part lists, why can't people suggest server hosts?
05/29/2016 7:45 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Because the rules here are quite frankly just made to look professional and not much actual professional thought went into it. The only reason they'd block links to other websites (Referrals are blocked??? really??) Is because they're scared of losing their members to these sites, which is just silly. If people ASK for referrals, people should be able to give them. I'm not saying people should go around saying "USE THIS HOST:" without a reason, but if someone specifically asks for information, we should be able to give it especially since it has no negative impact on PMC itself.

Anyway, MCProHosting is the way to go if you're going big. Many large servers use it (TheNexus uses it) and while it may be expensive, it's worth it for the quality. I'd start of just using your PC if you can, and get everything set up the way you want it and get a *very small* playerbase, then transfer just so you know everything is working and you don't waste money on a month with nothing set up
05/29/2016 2:15 am
Level 45 : Master Chef
Cheffy
datalorry.com
code: shipwreck
05/29/2016 1:51 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
mcneprojects
I use ownage hosting they are one of the cheapest hosts out there and they are always on top of any questions or concerns I may have. I would definitely check them out ==> http://www.ownagehosting.com
05/28/2016 10:54 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
If your going for factions, there is a pretty made factions plan on http://www.gapple.net I'm not sure if it is pay monthly or a one off payment
05/28/2016 10:47 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
Ittim
Nitro Node is a great host, as they have some of the most lag free servers, with the help from SSDs and their great staff keeping it running 24/7, they are also very cheap! The cheapest plan they have is actually free, but trust me, they've got great plans to fit anybody!
05/28/2016 9:38 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Archer
IAmColin
I was looking for a host myself awhile ago. One of the first I used was Shockbyte, it was terrible. Very slow, and laggy, would not suggest.

I use Mcprohosting, a lot of people say it's not worth it at all (because it's the most expensive), but trust me it's worth it. I had 2x-3x times more ram on Shockbyte, switched to Mcprohosting with barely any ram, and it worked 50 times better! Just buy a $10 plan there and it's better than Shockbyte.

Again, this is my opinion, don't take my word on it.
05/28/2016 9:42 pm
jucmaluco
For an basic small factions server, do you think Shockbyte can handle that or should I go to Mcprohosting?
05/28/2016 9:56 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Archer
IAmColin
If it's a small factions server (5-15 players) then it could handle it. But do not think a lot of ram there means no lag. But for a starting factions server I do think it could work.

For example when I had Shockbyte, even know it was laggy, I got over $50 in donations right away. It's all about impressions.
05/28/2016 10:37 pm
jucmaluco
Wow! Thank you! I think I'm going to start with Shockbyte then I'll move to Mcprohosting in the future if needed! Thanks!
05/28/2016 9:01 pm
Leeberator
What's your Internet speed? If you have a decent connection and a spare desktop computer, you could very easily host a server from home.
05/28/2016 9:22 pm
jucmaluco
My computer its a decent computer, but I dont know if it could handle an server, because my internet its not the best either.

Is Schockbyte good?

Here is my computer configuration if you need it:

Intel Pentium G3260 3.3GHZ

MSI H81M-E33

RAM: (4GB - 1600MHz) Kingston Hyper-X FURY (Dissipador Preto)

GeForce GTX 750 1GB GDDR5 128 Bits (Zotac)

(430W) EVGA 430W

(HD): (500GB) Seagate Barracuda (7200rpm) SATA III

- Windows 10 PRO 64 bits (Trial)
05/28/2016 10:38 pm
Leeberator
You can test your Internet speed at http://speedtest.net.

You shouldn't host your server on your primary computer - it'll need to be running 24/7 and the server instance will take up resources you could make use of for other things. That's why I made the distinction of hosting on a spare computer.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome