What kinds of tech ideas make you laugh?

supernotch893's Avatar supernotch89310/21/14 5:55 pm
1 emeralds 2.2k 75
10/25/2014 6:22 pm
_Shako's Avatar _Shako
Basically, the title says it. For me the idea of not having a DVD or BD drive in my PC makes me laugh (and cry too because 97% of my games are not on steam or origin)
If you don't understand here's a translation:
Install a disc drive (internal or external) and I'd be happy
Don't give me a disc drive (again, internal or external) and I'd be sad and my life would be hard.

I once had a laptop with no CD drive. Life was hard with no forms of external storage.
supernotch893
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/25/2014 2:50 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Nerd
Lancet13
Cat Ears that can be controlled based on bran waves.

Video
[yt]JblMzmAyLW8[/yt]

only in Japan...
10/25/2014 2:45 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Kickbuttkaleb12
Windows 8 period. Hands down, no argument.
10/25/2014 2:21 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
This thread is so full of unexplained hating.
iPhones in general.
10/25/2014 2:10 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
10/25/2014 1:26 pm
Level 21 : Expert Network
87man
The bracelet that gives you more balance. It's probably a scam. It so stupid though.
10/25/2014 1:31 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Please. My family bought a pretty expensive necklace for all of us that had a black little engraved disc that was supposed to make us healthier. I doubt it actually worked, but Nicol David apparently wore it along with others. It closed down within a year or two, though. But the shop was nice and they had fancy stuff like a little cover the necklace can wear (if dropped, the necklace broke, so it's essentially like a phone protector).

They also had other products with the same 'technology', though. We had a tumbler (no, not tumblr) and that was pretty nice.
10/25/2014 11:33 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
World of Atlas
Google Glasses make me laugh.
10/25/2014 11:42 am
Level 24 : Expert Artist
asdfjkajksjgf
I probably would use them if they had actual working lenses, but lets be honest, they probably don't.

Also I'm poor so there's that.
10/25/2014 1:19 pm
Snowyfox
You can get your optometrist to install working lens on them. Technically the actual Google Glass is just the tiny device; you can attach it to any of your glasses if it fits.
10/25/2014 11:27 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
ho bos
windows xp is the funniest. i laugh as hard as i can!
10/25/2014 11:41 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Windows xp was actually the best operating system in it`s times.
10/25/2014 11:07 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Google Nexus 6. It`s huge!
10/25/2014 10:46 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Lumberjack
tylermark2001
having windows 8 (i like 8 not 8.1) decide to force me to update to 8.1 in the middle of a test at school. I WANT WINDOWS 8 NOT 8.1 come on Microsoft.
10/25/2014 10:28 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
ho bos
when i think of windows xp i laugh as hard as i can
10/24/2014 6:54 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Spider Rider
InfamousArgyle
I think it's hilarious when people make something look SO cool, it's hard to use and uncomfortable in your hand.
10/24/2014 2:01 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut
Zitzabis
FCCAGutInternet is changing but if you've been paying attention...

Hehe...how interesting when you had said,
FCCAGut...the WWW never really changes.

previously in this thread.

And to keep this post on topic, I find smart-watches to be a bit of joke.

Personally, I'm starting to wonder about this thread. It just seems like a breeding ground for people to complain about technology and for others to disagree. Not healthy.

Internet and the WWW are 2 different things.
10/24/2014 10:38 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
don't know if it's been said yet but http://www.cnet.com/news/its-a-toaster-bay-for-your-pc/

Introducing
the Toaster Drive

The entire idea is both awesome and absolutely hilarious at the same time
10/24/2014 6:16 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
This one, really made me giggle. Let me comprehend this.
So basically, it's a toaster. That fits into one of those unused 5¼ inch drive bays, and it toasts, like a toaster, except you need to use the included software. However, it generates heat, like a toaster. HOW WOULD THIS HELP A TEMPRATURE FREAK KEEP HIS PC COOL? (not that im one of them) And, wouldn't this kill your pc faster because there'd be more heat (and food) inside? (provided your pc has insufficient cooling)
10/24/2014 6:53 pm
Snowyfox
What if you somehow redirected the heat in the rest of the computer to the toaster? And if you bought a Nethering TOASTER for your computer, you can easily afford some extra cooling.

*EDIT* No, food wouldn't get to the computer. The toaster would, like a microwave, easily manage to keep everything inside itself. No crumbs will fall out. The most you can do in terms of food crumbs is brick the toaster itself, which you can replace.
10/24/2014 9:43 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Cyborg
RCXcrafter
Anything you can play games on other than a pc makes me laugh. This includes smartphones.
I also don't understand computer cases that look good, when I want to put a gaming pc together I would focus on getting a good graphics card instead of spending too much money on a case.
10/24/2014 4:01 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
FCCAGutInternet is changing but if you've been paying attention...

Hehe...how interesting when you had said,
FCCAGut...the WWW never really changes.

previously in this thread.

And to keep this post on topic, I find smart-watches to be a bit of joke.

Personally, I'm starting to wonder about this thread. It just seems like a breeding ground for people to complain about technology and for others to disagree. Not healthy.
10/23/2014 7:32 pm
Snowyfox
ProxiifyI actually love the iMac's simplistic design that looks modern enough to also be some sort of furninture c'mon now look at this:

It's fine to love it. A lot of people love it. That's the whole point of the design. I didn't mention that it doesn't look nice (well, to me, it doesn't look nice, but that's matter of unnecessary opinion).

But, my point was, computers should probably not be designed to blend in and be like furniture, because their significance is far greater than an aluminum piece of art. I personally believe that the computers should stand out, no matter how strong the owner's urge to make everything in their house blend in is. They do indeed stand out very much in our lives, and they stand out a lot in history and strength too.

I got more points but I can't type them right now. Will type them when I have the time.
10/23/2014 7:25 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Proxiify
Snowyfox
The ports are all on the side, and they look like small little useless things instead of chilling around in the pack of fans or brightly colored indicators. And it hardly has ports to begin with (although yes, it's a MacBook Air, it's designed to lighten up).

As much as you can diss Apple for a lot of their practices, it's known that their non-iPhone-iPad machines ARE powerful. Maybe a bit too less powerful for their price, but still powerful. So it saddens me that a machine like this is encased in a very plain keyboard, full flat unfeatured aluminum, and a bare back with just a white apple on it.

Point is, minimalism may be important for some or many people, but as a person who appreciates the strength of computers, I find it saddening that these machines are vigorously designed to look like simple things that can be ignored. There are no tiny little racks of LEDs blinking that actually are far less active than what is on the motherboard, there are no striking features that makes the computer look like something you fear or something you can rely on, there is no sense of "power" embedded into them.

PMC, you know those computer building threads? Notice how all the pros like to include very fancy cases? The computers they are building DESERVE those cases. They are strong machines that are far more powerful than us in many respects. They do devastating amounts of operations and are a very impressive marvel of our technology so far. Don't try to hide what's inside! Proudly display them. Make the computer look more user friendly, but also make the computer have a face that makes it look like it is showing off to people.

*EDIT*
Does nobody else think the design of the iMac is a giganticly sharp contrast to the graphics it is displaying?

I actually love the iMac's simplistic design that looks modern enough to also be some sort of furninture c'mon now look at this:
10/23/2014 7:17 pm
Snowyfox
FCCAGut
Click to reveal
I had an answer for this (and then some) that was 8 paragraphs long but then PMC went offline and didn't save it, this will be small compared to it in detail. I use Windows 98 because it had a lot of good ideas that flopped. Many people could say If I say HTML is ancient then C/C++ is prehistoric. While this may be true and Java is from the 1990's, there has never been anything better than C. Java claims to be but the reason it's useless to me is I see it at the finest detail, it doesn't run on real hardware. Java is 2/3rds right. C is 3/3rds correct. When you said mathematician I immediately thought of Haskell.

Internet is changing but if you've been paying attention, and this isn't just happening with the Internet but computers in general, everything is slowing down. We don't have any better answer for security either. Passwords are useless, you see Microsoft doing their gestures, Android has their thing, Apple has the old fashioned style. No one has a clear answer what to do next.

If we we're to change any of this you would see millions lose their jobs. I've asked on here a few times would you pick a favorite and make money from it, or build something that can be better than your favorite could ever do, even if no money was immediately gained. The computer industry doesn't move by money, you can believe it does but it's not true. The problem is we're moving too fast and I have made predictions of this which will cause a catastrophic failure.

One thing to remember is to do this stuff you have to appreciate the theory and not the practice. Everything in computers is based on theories, there's no veterans. Hackers created the Internet. You could even say Steve Jobs himself was a MAJOR influence to the creation of the WWW.

YouTube couldn't have existed because of slow computers and browsers couldn't do it. Because of this the Internet has moved much more slowly than the rest of the industry, very slowly. You see Hong Kong as one of the world's fastest Internet (if not the fastest) but I'm sure there's an idea out there that can make everyone equal and just as powerful without spending huge money on infrastucture. Again, look at the theory and not the practice. If you want a prime example, the original creators of the World Wide Web HATED HTML, it just was bad.

You can't just be a consumer of this to understand the future, you must live within it. We can't all go by living with the mind of Java and that there's no use at being something better or else we won't get on with it. Restriction is key to get motivated to move further in this industry and anyone can contribute.

I'm sure you'll find some truth in what I say.

+1
No arguments I can offer.
10/23/2014 6:07 pm
FCCAGut
Got another one. Gaming PC's. That's all I have to say for that.
10/23/2014 6:56 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
10/24/2014 2:00 pm
FCCAGut
Not what I meant.
10/23/2014 5:29 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
basketballer05
My response to people who are hating on windows 8, just get 8.1, the thing in the corner comes back, just as a rectangle!
10/23/2014 5:28 pm
Snowyfox
And to answer OP's question...

(1) Pairing overpowered machines with overly minimalistic designs.

You are probably thinking of Apple's new design ever since the Powerbook took a very sharp turn along with the later versions of Mac OS X. Older Apple computers proudly show off their look that matches the power and the software that they run; they actually looked like very functional, strong computers. Nowadays, when I see ads for the MacBook Air (ooo, didn't know they were selling MacBook Airs for $999 in Canada now...maybe I should've got one...but nahhh), it just utterly baffles me why you would create such an overpowered machine and then present it as something useless.

Yes. It looks like something useless to me.

The ports are all on the side, and they look like small little useless things instead of chilling around in the pack of fans or brightly colored indicators. And it hardly has ports to begin with (although yes, it's a MacBook Air, it's designed to lighten up).

As much as you can diss Apple for a lot of their practices, it's known that their non-iPhone-iPad machines ARE powerful. Maybe a bit too less powerful for their price, but still powerful. So it saddens me that a machine like this is encased in a very plain keyboard, full flat unfeatured aluminum, and a bare back with just a white apple on it.

Point is, minimalism may be important for some or many people, but as a person who appreciates the strength of computers, I find it saddening that these machines are vigorously designed to look like simple things that can be ignored. There are no tiny little racks of LEDs blinking that actually are far less active than what is on the motherboard, there are no striking features that makes the computer look like something you fear or something you can rely on, there is no sense of "power" embedded into them.

PMC, you know those computer building threads? Notice how all the pros like to include very fancy cases? The computers they are building DESERVE those cases. They are strong machines that are far more powerful than us in many respects. They do devastating amounts of operations and are a very impressive marvel of our technology so far. Don't try to hide what's inside! Proudly display them. Make the computer look more user friendly, but also make the computer have a face that makes it look like it is showing off to people.

*EDIT*
Does nobody else think the design of the iMac is a giganticly sharp contrast to the graphics it is displaying?
10/23/2014 5:28 pm
Snowyfox
Back from the Dota game. As I was saying...

Why would the S imply that we've reached the maximum security we have? If we create a new version, we'd simply patch HTTPS with an update and a new version number. If there was a super super major update (which will probably only happen at least 15 to 20 years later), it wouldn't be too hard to create a new name. HTTPS IS indeed a secure version of HTTP. Doesn't imply it's the most secure version of HTTP.

I won't comment on SSL since I don't use it too much (I only use it to access my VPS, I barely know about how it works), but I'm very sure that if the protocol itself created risks stronger than having no protection, they wouldn't publish it in the first place. And things get patched.

Kudos to you for liking Windows 98. But if you do, you're clearly part of a minority group amongst a large group of people that hate Windows 98. You definitely know the feel of truly enjoying using an operating system that everyone else dislikes; you have your reasons. It's a similar situation to Windows 8. And it's hardly a flop compared to Windows Vista and Me, yet both of those older OSes still got their own fanbase. Your point? A bit hard to understand why you scoff at Windows 8 when your preferred OS is far more scoffed.

Flash is horrendous for entire websites. Giant lag machine, overkill power, bricks all browsers that are older than 2008. HTML is a great alternative for those who want something simpler or want to bring down the resource usage using a compound. Both are great.

FTP does indeed essentially transfer any form of data you want between computers...And since the name says "file", just make sure you save the data in a file. No vagueness, no security, just absolute bareness.

Considering the sensitive nature of currency and all the governments bringing their rear-end to the table of a threat to traditional currency, it's not hard to see why cryptocurrency groups have to be careful compared to other fancy ideas.

Ironic that they still exist? I don't see the irony, unless you don't mean situational irony. And they dwindle on the past because we're still in the same state as the past in a lot of levels...or at least any of the challenges we face don't really force us to redesign the entire internet.

Flash was awesome. Youtube couldn't have existed 15-20 years ago because flash wasn't there. You could have a site with a ton of user-submitted videos, though; that would be awesome, and since most browsers had browser plugins, I do indeed wonder why they didn't create something similar to Youtube. But seriously, they wouldn't be able to pull off user accounts and video uploading effectively for a Youtube experience.

Newsgroups don't appeal to most of the public. Facebook did. I can build you a palace literally made out of completely flat undesigned walls, and it'd have the same functionality as a really intricately made palace, but people will go for the pretty palace that had tons of unnecessary effort placed into it because it appeals to them more (I personally would go for the flat walls as long as there are SOME designs, like stripes and paint and teh such).

The web IS changing like hell. People are getting creative with past technology and making tons of updates, instead of rewriting everything, because this planet is absolutely disgustingly obsessed with efficiency that pairing the brand new interweb with brand new technology is a cool idea but far too pricy to make.

You make good points, but please don't just dismiss these ideas as things you would laugh at. You can criticize them, but they're nothing to scoff at. They're veterans who know what they are doing.
10/23/2014 6:30 pm
FCCAGut
I had an answer for this (and then some) that was 8 paragraphs long but then PMC went offline and didn't save it, this will be small compared to it in detail. I use Windows 98 because it had a lot of good ideas that flopped. Many people could say If I say HTML is ancient then C/C++ is prehistoric. While this may be true and Java is from the 1990's, there has never been anything better than C. Java claims to be but the reason it's useless to me is I see it at the finest detail, it doesn't run on real hardware. Java is 2/3rds right. C is 3/3rds correct. When you said mathematician I immediately thought of Haskell.

Internet is changing but if you've been paying attention, and this isn't just happening with the Internet but computers in general, everything is slowing down. We don't have any better answer for security either. Passwords are useless, you see Microsoft doing their gestures, Android has their thing, Apple has the old fashioned style. No one has a clear answer what to do next.

If we we're to change any of this you would see millions lose their jobs. I've asked on here a few times would you pick a favorite and make money from it, or build something that can be better than your favorite could ever do, even if no money was immediately gained. The computer industry doesn't move by money, you can believe it does but it's not true. The problem is we're moving too fast and I have made predictions of this which will cause a catastrophic failure.

One thing to remember is to do this stuff you have to appreciate the theory and not the practice. Everything in computers is based on theories, there's no veterans. Hackers created the Internet. You could even say Steve Jobs himself was a MAJOR influence to the creation of the WWW.

YouTube couldn't have existed because of slow computers and browsers couldn't do it. Because of this the Internet has moved much more slowly than the rest of the industry, very slowly. You see Hong Kong as one of the world's fastest Internet (if not the fastest) but I'm sure there's an idea out there that can make everyone equal and just as powerful without spending huge money on infrastucture. Again, look at the theory and not the practice. If you want a prime example, the original creators of the World Wide Web HATED HTML, it just was bad.

You can't just be a consumer of this to understand the future, you must live within it. We can't all go by living with the mind of Java and that there's no use at being something better or else we won't get on with it. Restriction is key to get motivated to move further in this industry and anyone can contribute.

I'm sure you'll find some truth in what I say.
10/23/2014 5:16 pm
Snowyfox
Find Them Creepers
SnowyfoxNo need to go bashing those up so hard. Many people, including me, have Java as their primary language, and we really like it. Besides, Java has many perks that other languages (which I can equally call stupid) don't have.

So what does Java have that something like C or Python or something doesn't?

I may sound malicious, but I'm not. I'm just under the impression that all languages can do the same thing

Java was meant to be cross-platform. It doesn't run directly on the machine, it runs on a virtual machine that runs on the actual machine. That way, any "porting" work is done by the dudes coding the JVMs, not the programmer who doesn't have time rewriting everything from scratch.

Java also has quite a bit of failproofs. Some argue far too much. Some argue makes things easier. Quite a few things are automated and the language itself is very lengthy and English-like, whereas something like C++ would fare better in looking like something a mathematician would jot down.
10/23/2014 5:14 pm
FCCAGut
blobfish
.... do u NOT hate anything? XD

I just hate staying in the past, and technology shouldn't succumb to it.
10/23/2014 4:59 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
Entertainment systems that can't achieve good visuals and are basically just DRM systems.

In other words, consoles.
10/23/2014 4:53 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
SnowyfoxNo need to go bashing those up so hard. Many people, including me, have Java as their primary language, and we really like it. Besides, Java has many perks that other languages (which I can equally call stupid) don't have.

So what does Java have that something like C or Python or something doesn't?

I may sound malicious, but I'm not. I'm just under the impression that all languages can do the same thing
10/23/2014 4:50 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
The IPhone 6. My dad just got it, and he says it barely has any battery power. It just sitting for a day drains it's battery. Also, even with the smaller one, it's way too big for your hand or to fit in your pocket.
10/23/2014 4:54 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
if you can't use it one handed, you must have a really small hand lol. i will admit the battery life is iind of short but its better then the previous stuff.
10/23/2014 3:59 pm
Level 27 : Expert Fish
Blobfish
FCCAGut
Zitzabis
FCCAGut-snipsies for lengthsies-

I simply can't resist responding...but I will make my statement and then leave.

Java: I'm sorry, why are you playing Minecraft? It was built with Java and is awesome.
HTML: Your example is outdated as well, try HTML5.
HTTPS: Try reinventing the wheel. It if works, why change it? Just improve it until it becomes so different, it's separate. That's basically what HTML5 is; just a massive update to plain HTML.
SSL: Everything has it's bugs, is there a better option than SSL?
Windows 8: I'll give you that, but it was a risk that had to be made to learn that you just don't go there with an OS.
HTML5: Soo...mentioning HTML before, what's the better option to go with if HTML5 is also a joke? Don't give me PHP because that runs on HTML.
FTP: File Transfer Protocol. A protocol that you transfer files through. It's not vague at all.
FTPS: Same as my response to HTTPS.
Bitcoins: That wasn't really meant to be anything except for a little fun experiment.

1. They still exist because nothing better has replaced them.
2. What competition? Most of the things you are listing are open-source and have no competition.

The Internet (no one says WWW anymore) has moved on and changed:
http://home.mcom.com/home/welcome.html
That's an old webpage for a web browser. Compare that to this:
https://www.google.com/chrome/
I think the the "WWW" has changed.

PHP, forgot that one. You sound like you know what you're talking about. I'll give you that. I just see things bigger than others do. I could have also added Firefox, Chromium (and that thing they call Chrome), Safari, IE (that would have been too easy), DuckDuckGo search engine (it's bad). They are all the same thing and they all try to compete with each other in how they manage websites. It's boring to me. Thats why I also don't like website designers, they simply don't see this, or they decide to pick a popular browser for content yet completely ignore the rest of the population.

For the record....yes there is something better than SSL. I'd recommend you "read a book" to find it. FTP is boring, everything is a file. EVERYTHING. A website is a file, HTTP is a "file transfer protocol", as it were.

The Internet and the WWW are 2 different things. The WWW is the content, the Internet is the network the content is on. Re-read your books. I'm a very hard person to please.

.... do u NOT hate anything? XD
10/23/2014 3:02 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Apple's price tags
10/23/2014 3:00 am
Level 48 : Master Botanist
Sbia
the plausibility of nuclear fusion and what it entails makes me squee
10/23/2014 4:54 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
What's so funny about nuclear fusion?
10/24/2014 1:32 am
Sbia
ITS AWOESME
it's like an exhilarated laugh if that clarifies it for you
10/23/2014 1:30 am
Level 48 : Master Blockhead
Happs
The idea that China(or another country I may of gotten it mixed up) is making a large Hadron collider that is going to be two times the size of the current one... it makes me giggle so much as I am having a little too much fun.
10/23/2014 3:00 am
Sbia
positively or negatively
10/23/2014 1:23 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
jgrocks2
MIke1022
11. Electronic Highway Billboards - These will only cause accidents.

this is legit the only reason why there's traffic nowadays in Portland.
10/23/2014 12:58 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
3ds... wii u all that
10/23/2014 6:39 am
Level 45 : Master Sheep
ToadDan
A 3D, portable Wii, and a console that supports 5 players with a touchpad makes you laugh.

It's everything a Nintendo fan could dream of <3
10/23/2014 3:36 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
i used to like nintendo like you... then i took a no internet to the knee
10/22/2014 11:46 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
ErikJack
Call of duty Ghosts having a sequel hahahahahaha *wipes tear from eye*
10/22/2014 11:49 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat