What's the speed/ difference?

ValleyDew's Avatar ValleyDew11/22/14 12:34 pm
11/27/2014 4:18 pm
Lpswheat's Avatar Lpswheat
I want to know which is faster, and why between an HDD, SSD, and a usb 3.0/2.0. I also want to get a new flash drive with atleast 16gb that is both fast and kind of cheap.
ValleyDew
Level 14 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/27/2014 4:18 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Modder
Lpswheat
An ssd is similar to HBM ram which is stacked in a 3d configuration but is kind of brought down in bandwith and the type of storage for obvious reasons.
11/25/2014 6:19 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
SATA III is rated for 6 Gbps transfer speeds, though most SSDs read/write at about 4 Gbps (500 MB/s) and most hard drives read/write at about 800 Mbps (100 MB/s).

USB 2.0 is rated for 480 Mbps transfer speeds, while USB 3.0 is rated for 5 Gbps speeds.

Currently, the fastest is Thunderbolt 2.0 which runs up to 20 Gbps.
11/25/2014 6:06 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
'Nickbrick'm one of those "none." I live in Central Brevard County, Florida(I ain't sayin my city), and there are none here.

Where did talking about Microcenter even come from? It's not the only place to get PC parts from. And to answer your question SSDs are much faster than HDDs and USB 3.0 has 10x the bandwidth of USB 2.0. SSDs, though, are more expensive and I would recommend putting your favorite games and your OS on it, but don't use your SSD as a primary drive, get a 1TB HDD for that.
11/25/2014 6:01 pm
ValleyDew
RoboShadow
supernotch893None of us have a microcenter nearby. The nearest one I found on their website is over 2 hours away and I don't have that time to go there just for pc stuff, when i could go to best buy.

Who is this "none of us"?

supernotch893I don't know how people can say SSDs are faster than HDDs/SSHDs, plus the fact that they are limited by write amounts make them unreliable, and their high prices aren't worth it. You can make a small (and cheap) 80 gig hard drive your bootdisk and something exponentially larger as extra storage. My desktop has one hard drive and it performs fine actually.

Ok, time to make some corrections.
SSDs are faster than HDDs in the sense that THEY READ AND WRITE FASTER THAN HDDS!!! This takes a quick google to find that, on average, SSDs are 10x faster.
Why would you get an 80gb HDD and another HDD? Why not just one? Or an 80GB SSD and an HDD?
You're saying your computer has 1 HDD and works fine, yet you recommend two? And say nothing for the benefit for either/or?
Also, on "unreliability," both are unreliable. HDDs are prone to just die the same way SSDs are. It's just that the SSD will die after a certain amount of write cycles (which the amount tends to be pretty large). And also, the company typically provides a software monitor to tell you when you start to reach the limit so you can plan.

I'm one of those "none." I live in Central Brevard County, Florida(I ain't sayin my city), and there are none here.
11/24/2014 7:42 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
supernotch893None of us have a microcenter nearby. The nearest one I found on their website is over 2 hours away and I don't have that time to go there just for pc stuff, when i could go to best buy.

Who is this "none of us"?

supernotch893I don't know how people can say SSDs are faster than HDDs/SSHDs, plus the fact that they are limited by write amounts make them unreliable, and their high prices aren't worth it. You can make a small (and cheap) 80 gig hard drive your bootdisk and something exponentially larger as extra storage. My desktop has one hard drive and it performs fine actually.

Ok, time to make some corrections.
SSDs are faster than HDDs in the sense that THEY READ AND WRITE FASTER THAN HDDS!!! This takes a quick google to find that, on average, SSDs are 10x faster.
Why would you get an 80gb HDD and another HDD? Why not just one? Or an 80GB SSD and an HDD?
You're saying your computer has 1 HDD and works fine, yet you recommend two? And say nothing for the benefit for either/or?
Also, on "unreliability," both are unreliable. HDDs are prone to just die the same way SSDs are. It's just that the SSD will die after a certain amount of write cycles (which the amount tends to be pretty large). And also, the company typically provides a software monitor to tell you when you start to reach the limit so you can plan.
11/24/2014 6:48 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
None of us have a microcenter nearby. The nearest one I found on their website is over 2 hours away and I don't have that time to go there just for pc stuff, when i could go to best buy.

Anyways, the above was off-topic. THIS is on topic. To be honest, I don't know how people can say SSDs and USBs are faster than HDDs/SSHDs and DVDs, plus the fact that they are limited by write amounts make them unreliable, and their high prices aren't worth it. So, in the long run, using an SSD as a "boot" drive won't help because you can make a small (and cheap) 80 gig hard drive your bootdisk and something exponentially larger as extra storage. My desktop has one hard drive and it performs fine actually. As of USB though, write speeds are faster than SD cards, that's a given. Read speeds though are the same. DVDs are read-only once you burn them, which makes them extra secure unless it's a DVD+/-RW, which can be rewritten many times over. Also an SSHD is a hybrid drive, and they aren't worth it.
11/24/2014 6:43 pm
ValleyDew
How was I off topic? I was only adding some extra details on my flash drive use.
11/22/2014 12:56 pm
ValleyDew
I'm only using the flash drive for other stuff, and for my portable minecraft when I dont have my computer with me.

P.S. I dont have a microcenter nearby
11/22/2014 12:39 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
NickbrickI want to know which is faster, and why between an HDD, SSD, and a usb 3.0/2.0. I also want to get a new flash drive with atleast 16gb that is both fast and kind of cheap.

A good guide can be found here.

And as for the flash drive, I surely hope you don't think you can run your computer from that. A flash drive is merely a transportation method for moving files around without using a cloud, or another form of file sharing.
11/22/2014 12:38 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
SSDs rather than using moving parts uses some funky parts I don't know much about, but it's really fast, and for example, Battlefield 3 can take up to 3 minutes to load on an HDD, but it can take as little as 20 seconds on an SSD.

3.0/2.0 is just very basic, just saying that 3.0 is much faster. If you have a Micro Center near you, pick a USB drive up there, the deals are really good.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome