What do you hate in a server?

iamtheshortest's Avatar iamtheshortest4/16/14 4:04 pm
4/20/2014 10:35 pm
n8mo's Avatar n8mo
Hey, I am opening a server pretty soon and I want the opinion of the MC community to help make my server better when I open it up.

Example: I hate a server with a douchey Owner
iamtheshortest
Level 12 : Journeyman Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/20/2014 10:35 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
I hate servers that advertise things like "no lag, 24/7, minigames, and factions"
But when in reality it's a seven year old with awful internet portforwarding a "network" on his craptop.
04/20/2014 10:32 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Ninja
MegaManChiefFanMC
Factions
04/16/2014 6:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
What do you hate about a server, or what do you hate in a server in general?

If about the server, I personally dislike it when everything the server owner does is 100% for the players (such as, without hesitating, resetting and changing the server to a Factions PvP, Prison or Minigames server, or a big hub with all of them, simply because "that's the thing" and all the server's players want it).

Yes, listening is important, but I'd much prefer a server where it has at least some concern in maintaining a stable ground in one field of gameplay; I'd play in a 2-year old Factions server than a 2-month old Skyblock server, even if I liked Skyblock more than Factions. I don't see too many servers around here that have been around for quite some time without being completely run as money farms.

If IN the server, I hate it when there's "mutes" everywhere. I coined this term when I noticed even in my tiny servers, there'll be a person or two that absolutely refuse to speak. Some even go to the extreme and completely ignore you, whatever you say. The most invulnerable will say nothing from being kicked.

You can see this much more obviously in pretty much every other server; every other server I know fully tolerates the presence of 20 people whose only time actually talking is when they snap from you trying to get just a tiny ounce of their attention to see if they're not AFK or hacking.
04/16/2014 5:39 pm
Level 27 : Expert Blockhead
monkeykyle30918
some1epic123
Pokemon
Drop parties. They completely **** the economy.

Definitely. Player-made drop parties should not be allowed either,
and players giving new players items should also be disallowed.
All of these things ruin the economy and fun.

SnowyKaida
Owners who think their the queen, or god.

Why be a king when you can be a god?
Free cookies to anyone who gets the reference

Bet it some old rapper song yo
04/16/2014 5:38 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
__DJAsher__
I hate factions. Also people that use you tuber skins.
04/16/2014 5:36 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Engineer
0ChickenOrDuck0
Staff/owners who boss around people or aren't very fun to work with. Like, how about every now and then when you come online, you start an event with a prize for the winner? It'd keep players happy. Also, put lots of work into ranks/building.
04/16/2014 5:35 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Modder
Clayblock
People who use youtubers skins.

SO STUPID
04/16/2014 5:43 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Explorer
TruelyJ64
04/16/2014 5:34 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
Shadow_Anndroid
WizzyLizzieHey iamtheshortest,

The thing i hate in some server are the Owners when they don't care for there new players.

Lol, new players make my server staff go
04/16/2014 5:33 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Archer
levi8george
Shadow_AnndroidServers and their staff who think saying your server's IP in whisper is stealing all its players away.
[simg]cdn.alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/png/misc-are-you- @#!*% -kidding-me-clean.png[/simg]
It's only ONE player, and they have the right to return.
Common sense; turning into a speciality.

Agreed. I once knew a person like that, I went started my server and he decided to ban me for saying to some guy my server wasn't up yet in /msg Luckily the friend knew my E-mail
04/16/2014 5:32 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
WizzyLizzie
Hey iamtheshortest,

The thing i hate in some server are the Owners when they don't care for there new players.

I also dislike factions.

04/16/2014 5:29 pm
Shadow_Anndroid
creeoer]
Sorry for the inconvience, you should of been a bit more clear. Anyways, I stand for what I said, and you can't say that someone plays on more than one server. I only play on one server besides mine, and some people want to devote their time and effort to one server, and may not want to keep jumping between servers. I will no longer reply to this topic with you, as I do not want to cause a problem, my original post was never inteneded to harm you in any way and from your post you look like you took it as an offense. It was just an opionion, no need to call me a knowitall.

Actually, a lot of people play on more than one server. Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. End of conversation, story, flamewar.
Level 16 : Journeyman Explorer
TruelyJ64
When a "Vote" reminder turns into spam, and a completely unoriginal copied spawn. Also abusive staff who ban and kick people for fun.
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
theIgloo
"Rich" or spoiled donators. Staff that don't do or know anything. Owners that act like they're the master of everything.
04/16/2014 5:26 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
donators that think they are better and smarter than everyone else. also factions.
04/16/2014 4:58 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
Bright Shadow
i have where you start with really OP stuff and also when you get to vote and you get really OP stuff.
04/16/2014 4:53 pm
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
AethrozMy server is hopefully launching in a few days. I don't see how drop parties ruin the economy unless they are dropping overpowered gear or giving away too much free currency.
I think a relatively small drop party can be super beneficial, getting new players onto the server, thus helping out the older players being able to sell their wares. Besides the fact that more people is always nice. Basic gear, a little currency, some ores/blocks. Not like dropping tons of dias or anything.

Something like that is reasonable, but I have yet to see a drop party
like it. Good luck with your server.
04/16/2014 4:50 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
My server is hopefully launching in a few days. I don't see how drop parties ruin the economy unless they are dropping overpowered gear or giving away too much free currency.
I think a relatively small drop party can be super beneficial, getting new players onto the server, thus helping out the older players being able to sell their wares. Besides the fact that more people is always nice. Basic gear, a little currency, some ores/blocks. Not like dropping tons of dias or anything.
04/16/2014 4:47 pm
Level 23 : Expert Artist
SnowyKaida
some1epic123
SnowyKaida
SnowyKaida

Some1epic123

SnowyKaidaLol, i was talking from experience, thats still going on, Theres this person who just denies every opinion, makes themselves main character of everything, cheated when they had survival, broke their own rules, etc. XD

It was a reference (which I doubt anyone will get), but I do see your point.

Shh I got the reference its from a song..
04/16/2014 4:46 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Unicorn
DiamondFarm
I hate unoriginal servers. There are MILLIONS of factions, build servers and whatnots. But try to think of something original, like make (or get someone to make) a custom plugin, or sumthink.

Also, plugins that ban players permanently if they hack. Sure, great plugin. But it will BACKFIRE. Maybe do a ten minute ban. But I think a player/member of staff has to see the player hacking then report it to the staff WITH EVIDENCE, instead of relying on plugins. (Although this isn't a biggie)

Bad spawns. Spawns is the new player's first impression of the server (Does that make sense?) So you wanna do the best you can. You don't have to build something amazing and extravagant, just a spacious spawn with shops and stuff not too far away. Also, don't have the player face wall of signs and they have to complete a maze or something to get out. (I like the book idea, like when they spawn they get given a book with all the rules and stuff in it.)

And last, but not least, what's outside the spawn. This happens way too much on factions servers. You exit a nice spawn and all, but as soon as you get out of the non-build zone, there's TNT holes, the remains of the buildings EVERYWHERE. It doesn't take much for an admin to do //chunk then //regen on World Edit. This is a long message but...meh.
04/16/2014 4:43 pm
some1epic123
SnowyKaida
SnowyKaida

Some1epic123

SnowyKaidaLol, i was talking from experience, thats still going on, Theres this person who just denies every opinion, makes themselves main character of everything, cheated when they had survival, broke their own rules, etc. XD

It was a reference (which I doubt anyone will get), but I do see your point.
04/16/2014 4:34 pm
Shadow_Anndroid
Servers and their staff who think saying your server's IP in whisper is stealing all its players away.

It's only ONE player, and they have the right to return.
Common sense; turning into a speciality.
04/16/2014 4:38 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Dragonborn
creeoer
Yes but, you are still stealing a player. If someone you know harasses you for the ip, I guess you could get away with it. But if there is a rule called no advertizing and you are msging the ip of your server to an innocent player and are persuading them to join. You are still breaking the rules; if you never mentioned your server to them in the first place they would of never left.
04/16/2014 4:52 pm
Shadow_Anndroid
I said nothing aboutstealing one player. I said strictly ALL the players. And I only msg my server's IP to people who ask for it, knowitall. And I'm not resonsible for what happens after I tell that person the IP(eg. them advertising on the other server).
And what you basically just told me: "If a player has 2 or more servers on his list, he only joins mine." No, you are completely wrong. I play on 5 different servers. Now tell me, how does your statement connect?
04/16/2014 5:14 pm
creeoer
Sorry for the inconvience, you should of been a bit more clear. Anyways, I stand for what I said, and you can't say that someone plays on more than one server. I only play on one server besides mine, and some people want to devote their time and effort to one server, and may not want to keep jumping between servers. I will no longer reply to this topic with you, as I do not want to cause a problem, my original post was never inteneded to harm you in any way and from your post you look like you took it as an offense. It was just an opionion, no need to call me a knowitall.
04/16/2014 4:30 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
Maveriknight
The Admin is always right rule IS abusable, but it has it's place. it's almost necessary, even, to avoid people exploiting loopholes in the rules, and arguing like a lawyer that if it's not expressely denied, it must be permitted.

Really though, what you don't like in a server is a matter of "What kind of server is it."
04/16/2014 4:23 pm
creeoer
I hate the rule where: The admin is always right!

This rule backfires in many ways, if players are not allowed to question staff or any of their abilites, this can lead to staff abusing their powers. Example: Lets say an admin called....admin banned player for no explaination. If this rule was there, the player could not do a thing about this, and staff can easily get away with this again in the future. Players questioning staff can lead to them being demoted and/or learning not to do something like that ever again.

Another thing I hate is if a server CANT TAKE CRITCISM. I'm sure some servers don't censor out critcism of it, but if its cricism like "You suck this server sucks f f f f" Then of course thats not helping, but if someone said "Guys the website is a little bit dull and..bla bla bla" and the owner/staff tells him to back off or attempts to punish him or yell at that player, thats a little harsh and unprofessional; he is just trying to help you guys.
04/16/2014 4:24 pm
SnowyKaida
This ^ This has happened to me before.
04/16/2014 4:18 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pokemon
Pokemon8756
Drop parties. They completely **** the economy.
04/16/2014 4:37 pm
some1epic123
Definitely. Player-made drop parties should not be allowed either,
and players giving new players items should also be disallowed.
All of these things ruin the economy and fun.

SnowyKaida

Free cookies to anyone who gets the reference
04/16/2014 4:15 pm
Level 1 : New Network
FlashBash21
Owners who don't put much work in their server. I've been working on mine for a long time trying to perfect as much as I can. Don't make anything to simple, it looks unprofessional. If you don't like your designs, add more to make it look better. But sometimes you can add to much. You could also hire builders if your not good at building (like me).
04/16/2014 4:15 pm
SnowyKaida
04/16/2014 4:40 pm
SnowyKaida
Why be a king when you can be a god?[/quote]
Lol, i was talking from experience, thats still going on, Theres this person who just denies every opinion, makes themselves main character of everything, cheated when they had survival, broke their own rules, etc. XD
04/16/2014 4:14 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
NexusApache
McMMO, Factions and AuthMe
04/16/2014 4:14 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Arebella
A crap-load of plugins/mods
04/16/2014 4:13 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Warrior
ima7433
Survival plots and creative
04/16/2014 4:10 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Pixel Painter
BlackHawk185
Factions.
04/16/2014 4:11 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
^

Also, servers that are not very accepting of people. And ones that have tons of griefing,and you can't do nothing about it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome