What do YOU want in a server?

Smooth_Al's Avatar Smooth_Al7/28/16 2:07 am
1 emeralds 1.2k 37
8/20/2016 11:22 am
Smooth_Al's Avatar Smooth_Al
Hey guys, Smoothie here.

I was just doing some research on what everyone likes on a server when I realised, I don't actually know. Everyone just guesses what the players want instead of actually asking them. So i thought I'd ask you all some quick questions on what YOU want instead of what a server owner thinks you want

by the way guys these questions are for survival/simpler servers, so no answers including mini games please well unless you mean like spleef or smaller minigames to go on survival servers and stuff. I like spleef.

1. what do you like about survial/skyblock etc. servers, what actually draws you in?

2. what sort of things do you like doing on those servers? do you like certain little aspects like the fact you can sit on stairs in some of them or do you care about the bigger things like the builds.

3. what do you dislike about servers? what turns you away from them?

4. What actual things don't you like? say if you went on a survival server then found it boring and went off it a day later, why is that what actually makes you bored of it?

Thank you for reading hope you all respond, if you think i need to ask any more questions comment that below too.

I have implemented all that you guys have said in the comments os far onto my server, CometCraft and i hope you guys come online soon!
IP: cometcraft.gamename.net
~ Smooth
Smooth_Al
Level 19 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/20/2016 10:08 am
Level 23 : Expert Fish
Tornado Shark
1. what do you like about survial/skyblock etc. servers, what actually draws you in?
I'm not sure, maybe the challenge? I play on my friends realm, and he had it on creative, and I got kinda bored with it, but when he changed to survival, I felt I had more things to do, and when I would die for stupid*emphasis on stupid* reasons and lose all my stuff, while I was super frickin' mad, after I cooled down, I wanted to play even more.

2. what sort of things do you like doing on those servers? do you like certain little aspects like the fact you can sit on stairs in some of them or do you care about the bigger things like the builds.
I like a little of both, I really like building, and like little plugins to add even more detail.

My goodness the community. If I dislike the community, I don't play. On servers I would used to play on, I played on it cause I liked the community, but when old left and new came, I just lost interest cause it was a different community. And when the old came back, I came back too.

4. What actual things don't you like? say if you went on a survival server then found it boring and went off it a day later, why is that what actually makes you bored of it?
It doesn't work like that for me, when I get, on, I'll know if i like it or not usually in the first hour. I don't get bored for about a couple weeks if I like it in some way.
like others have said, if it's too generic and like the other servers, I just get bored. Or if it's a bad mix of plugins.
08/20/2016 11:22 am
Smooth_Al
Ok cool so you like a bit of a challenge and the community makes or breaks it
08/13/2016 12:30 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Imposter
Jewelman
1. Nothing. They're unoriginal and boring. I only even bought Minecraft for creative mode.

2. Wait, are you talking about another generic survival server again? God, these can go crash and burn.

3. Unoriginality, lack of planning or quality. I find a lot of flaws like that on most servers. It seems so obvious to me how to fix something but nobody cares enough to!

4. The fact that it's unoriginal and generic.
08/20/2016 8:24 am
Smooth_Al
If your not interested in survival/skyblock why are you commenting? However i suppose you could mean that they are alk the same, so i guess your kinda suggesting add custom plugins and try to change it up a bit, in that case i agree
08/13/2016 12:13 pm
Level 20 : Expert Hunter
Monotone
Smooth_AlHey guys, Smoothie here.

I was just doing some research on what everyone likes on a server when I realised, I don't actually know. Everyone just guesses what the players want instead of actually asking them. So i thought I'd ask you all some quick questions on what YOU want instead of what a server owner thinks you want

by the way guys these questions are for survival/simpler servers, so no answers including mini games please well unless you mean like spleef or smaller minigames to go on survival servers and stuff. I like spleef.

Thank you for reading hope you all respond, if you think i need to ask any more questions comment that below too.

~ Smooth

1. Many servers have different versions of Skyblock or different mechanics that draw people to them.

2. I like a good community with fun games and a decent anti-cheat.

3. Toxic community, poor management, useless anti-cheat.

4. Community is 90% of what keeps me going on servers. If the games are too simple, too complicated, or too long/short, they grow frustrating and/or boring easily.
08/13/2016 12:05 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
MC_Master123
I think every server should have certain times where they ask the people playing on the server what they want. What you did is what every server needs to do
08/20/2016 8:18 am
Smooth_Al
Hi thank you, this thread has really helped me gage what you guys want
08/13/2016 11:37 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Moralous
1. The challenge of initial survival, and then the sense of accomplishment whenever I complete a project, but most of all the people. Interesting conversations, funny jokes, dank memes, the people make the server.

2. Little things like stairs and bigger plugins like McMMO do add a lot to a server, but a server should never rely on them to make it good.

3. Arrogant staff who think they know more than they do. An unresponsive chat. Unpunished rule breaking. Inactiveness.

4. A bad map can make or break a server. If I spawn in a desert and walk 500 blocks and swim across an ocean just to find a mesa biome, I may just quit then.
Also once again, the people. It's all about the people.

At the start of a server launch you really have to be active and talking. Also, don't give staff away easily! Accepting applications is often a bad idea, due to the fact you can easily end up with more staff than players at this early stage! One mod is all you really need, preferably on the other side of the world to you so that they're on when you're sleeping.
Just my thoughts and opinions, I wish you the best of luck with your server!

Edit:

After reading through the rest of the replies, I would like to add:
  • Professionalism - Neat, subtle prefixes that don't hurt your eyes. For example &8[&cH.Admin&8] looks a lot nicer than &6[&1Head&4Admin&6]. And proper grammar if possible!
  • Challenge - Already mentioned this but also kits that give you too much stuff are boring. Stone tool at best. A bit of food.
  • Intrusive staff - Horrible. Never tp to someone unless you're in vanish, or if you've asked them. Never ask them if you think they're up to no good as well. It gives them a heads up. Seems obvious but a lot of staff get this wrong.
  • Shops - Not too expensive, not too cheap. Cheap removes the challenge of getting rare resources, whereas expensive makes it not worth your while. I suggest relatively expensive minerals, with cheaper building blocks such as stone etc.
  • Punishments - Be professional about them. Don't taunt or be rude. Stick with a set of pre-set punishments that players can access (for example a /warp punishments with a sign wall explaining the different punishments for different rule breaches) and remember to give a ban reason, and a place to appeal bans.
  • Signs - Make them look neat. A line of equal signs at the top and bottom makes it look a bit nicer too. A good rule sign would look something like this:
    • ==============
    • _______
    • __-_
    • No Griefing
    • ==============

That's my advice ^^
08/20/2016 8:17 am
Smooth_Al
Thank you for the advice and thank you for the time youve taken to write all this, very helpful. I agree completely with what you have said especially the fact that players should not start off with much so they have something to work towards instead of everything being given to them straight away i have taken pretty much all of what you have said and implemented it into my server i have few staff, yet very mature and suited staff, on the server and am active every day (apart from thr next 4 days as i am in italy ) i also have a self-built spawn and a detailed page of rules on my servers website. As well as this i have built a shop with not too cheap but not too expensive items hope you guys come and pay a visit soon, thank you again!
08/04/2016 11:32 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Button Pusher
Officerkit
I'm going to focus on the skyblock aspect.

1. I would perfer that I start out with nothing, just the basics on skyblock. And I'd also rather no shop. All of that kind of ruins the "survival" aspect.

2. I like surviving. I like to actually participate in a community.

3. When they already give me everything, no challenge.

4. The reason I would turn down a survival/skyblock server is that either the community was rude/extremely cringey, or otherwise just doesn't appeal to me.
08/13/2016 6:43 am
Smooth_Al
ah right so you dont want to start with much
08/04/2016 10:49 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
rosedragon
Smooth_Al
yea i really hate when staff randomly tp or spy on you for no reason, the staff used to do that to me on a survival server i used to play on.. i no longer play there

I feel I need to clear this a bit.. I know they need to check hackers, but they don't need to annoy. Then can be invisible and do NOTHING that makes the player uneasy.

Good mods will /v and simply stay out of the player's way, check, move on.

Problem is some mods will get the script, but don't vanish properly. There goes the clandestine part of it. Even worse? They start doing stuff... sheesh...
08/04/2016 10:27 am
Smooth_Al
rosedragon
Smooth_Al
yea i really hate when staff randomly tp or spy on you for no reason, the staff used to do that to me on a survival server i used to play on.. i no longer play there

I feel I need to clear this a bit.. I know they need to check hackers, but they don't need to annoy. Then can be invisible and do NOTHING that makes the player uneasy.

not really sure what you mean but ok
07/29/2016 11:20 am
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
Smooth_Al

07/29/2016 9:28 am
Smooth_Al
rosedragon
I liked rpg servers, sometimes creative. for rpg I like the community and interesting story/quest/something new to discover. For creative I like dragons and creative builds.

I like being not interrupted by random people (I dislike servers that allow tp without permissions) and usually spend my days hoarding items and building. I also tends to idle while just chatting.

Suddenly someone tp to me, staffs that were too much... following me and/or prank with me with their powers, having my build destroyed, losing items because bug (including anticheat detecting my high latency as flying -_- ).

Not much to do, no one around, community just doesn't feel like home.

07/29/2016 6:34 am
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon

I liked rpg servers, sometimes creative. for rpg I like the community and interesting story/quest/something new to discover. For creative I like dragons and creative builds.

I like being not interrupted by random people (I dislike servers that allow tp without permissions) and usually spend my days hoarding items and building. I also tends to idle while just chatting.

Suddenly someone tp to me, staffs that were too much... following me and/or prank with me with their powers, having my build destroyed, losing items because bug (including anticheat detecting my high latency as flying -_- ).

Not much to do, no one around, community just doesn't feel like home.
07/29/2016 5:09 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
A modded server would be a nice change to see... To many vanilla servers that are all pretty much the same thing.
07/29/2016 5:13 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
It's the opposite really. Pure vanilla servers are super rare nowadays. People are just too addicted to plugins and mods.
07/29/2016 6:00 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
I Was referring to Actual Forge Servers, Not Bukkit Servers Theres a a major difference (One been having Entirely new stuff etc and One been just a vanilla server with more commands), But yes Thats true, There are just so many Faction, Mini Game, Prision Servers that are just all the same, Id rather see some vanilla servers then all these Faction and minigame servers that are all identical to each other.
07/29/2016 4:53 am
avrona
you want to make spawn, plugins, and all your other features as simple as possible

Or have no plugins.
07/29/2016 4:00 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
oolliiee123
I love survival servers where there is a good community and no hackers. Hackers ruin the fun out of a game like x-rayers. Also, some servers have custom crops, mobs, trees etc they make the server unique and really fun.
Make some pvp minigames such as CTF or custom ones with a minigames plugin. That's a great way to give people a break from survival and maybe have some events.
Good luck with your server!
07/29/2016 3:57 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Taco
Jpfisher
One, or rather 4 words. K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple Stupid, you want to make spawn, plugins, and all your other features as simple as possible. You want to have a simple spawn with a streamlined process to get players out into the world. For a survival server, I'd suggest having it so that if pvp is enabled, spawncamping is impossible. That's my 2 cents. Also, I play on an RP/survival server, so this is what I've learned from them.
07/29/2016 3:39 am
Smooth_Al
avrona
plugin that allows players to make shops.

Doesn't require a plugin.

I have a vanilla server so I just like pointing out those things.

oh right haha i didnt know that, learning new things everyday
07/28/2016 5:21 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
jayman340
I'm going to use this thread as an analysis for my server: Thank you lol

Crates, or any benfits I can get from voting / supporting a server.

I like collecting supplies to build projects I never start

Nothing to do; everything always the same: For example, if it's just a normal survival server with crates the crates would keep me on for a minute but if the customness ends at a randomtp or walking out of spawn then I would not play; this is why my server has tons of awesome plugins where you could always learn something new!

Just normal survival; It's okay, just if it has other addons and fun things to go with it.

Maybe ask what you would vote for (add it in as another question) for example using votifier, would you vote for a crate key, and money, or a schematic house that you can place down to get that build, or crate keys and money, but inside of the crate a placeable schematic.
07/29/2016 3:41 am
Smooth_Al
ok good to know people are actually listening to what the players say haha
07/28/2016 3:41 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
Aqua_Lover
I love servers with sky block. I don't really like multiplayer survival servers unless only very trusted players are playing on it. I think this because a lot of players just grief and are mean on big servers. I like the bigger builds more but if you could add a few little things that would be nice Thanks for reading my comment I hope this helped

<3
07/29/2016 3:50 am
Smooth_Al
Oh cool so you like smaller servers like skyblock so like safer servers, me too
07/28/2016 2:49 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Won't comment about skyblock as it bores the hell out of me, but not other folks, so I'll stick to survival.

Best kind of survival for me is one that has quirks and polish. I can join a few dozen servers down the line of advertisements and with the exception of staff names, color codes and grammar - all are more or less the same. Variety is good, but when you have the exact same thing down the line, it's a matter of if you can catch people trickling through the servers or if ya slip in the tide and never grow (which, to be fair, can happen to any server that releases). In other words, have side elements. Don't force people to learn a bunch of stuff, but include things in the background that people are going to miss when they join another server. Going with that, polish your stuff so it isn't obvious you just threw a few plugins on there, opened the server, pasted a build and called it good. A server that does that but polishes the edges and makes things their own already has a step up over the server that downloads and pastes and screams "DONE! LOOKING4STAFF!!! JOIN NOW!!!!!!111"

In such servers I either like side things (I'm vulnerable to a well-built maze as a low profile warp), or the conversation. Those are really the only reasons why I join survival as I am a builder at heart.

A few things I dislike - I need to control myself here - would be poorly placed staff (one good owner can outdo many servers of "staff"), servers that look desperate for money, trigger a peeve of mine (such as selling the command /tp, which is in almost every case for servers a staff command), have non-responsive, non-active or owners that just throw the work onto staff, and servers that don't have a soul to them. That's a whole 'nother topic entirely, to keep it short, servers don't have souls when they download spawns or call it good downloading and using a set of plugins, usually for factions or basic survival, without elementary config work.

I probably answered some of the fourth question above, but dislike triggers for me include -poor staff, -crappy owner, -downloaded spawn, -default plugins, -factions (turned off the moment I see the plugin), -prison (dislike the mode and most prison servers suffer the issues described above in some form or another), -Doner hungry, -derpy rules, -"looking for staff" in many forms as I find there's an art to getting a good staff team and most owners AND staff don't know it.

If ya got more questions throw em out here or in PM.
07/29/2016 3:38 am
Smooth_Al
hey, skyblock bores me too haha, so basically you dont like servers that were made to 'make do' type thing you would like the actual owners to put effort in instead of them just getting random staff and saying do all of this (I strongly agree). Also you like add-ons which sort of 'flow' in the server in the background and little things/plugins go a long way. Yea i agree with all that and the rest thank you so much for the feedback
07/28/2016 2:47 pm
avrona
plugin that allows players to make shops.

Doesn't require a plugin.

I have a vanilla server so I just like pointing out those things.
07/28/2016 2:37 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
stxphxn
What I really love in a server is a nice, active community but obviously you don't have full control over that so i guess something i check for every time i join a server is if they have a plug.dj room
07/28/2016 3:14 pm
Smooth_Al
plugdj for sure more servers need to get that
07/28/2016 2:28 pm
Smooth_Al
avrona
what do you like about survial/skyblock etc. servers, what actually draws you in?

I don't personally like them, however I like the idea of having a shop in survival or skyblock. That feeling of creating your own business and selling stuff is great.

Just read my 1.

I dislike how so many servers have pre 1.9 combat. They should just used the fixed 1.9 combat.

I also dislike how many servers are not up-to-date. A server should be constantly in the latest version of MC so there is more blocks and items for players and more tools for devs.

I also hate if they are too many kids or immature people on. And I hate it if the server is very lax about it's rules. On my server, I perm ban people. No warnings, nothing. Just perm ban the second they break the rule. Only normal people should be allowed on the server.

Not making progress and having little to do.

If you want any more input, just ask. I've been running my server for a year and 3 months now and I've learned a lot from that.

ok so servers should be up to date, stricter, have a nice community instead of some immature spammy people and should have a plugin that allows players to make shops. Thank youu, and i may pm you in a bit
07/28/2016 7:07 am
avrona
what do you like about survial/skyblock etc. servers, what actually draws you in?

I don't personally like them, however I like the idea of having a shop in survival or skyblock. That feeling of creating your own business and selling stuff is great.

Just read my 1.

I dislike how so many servers have pre 1.9 combat. They should just used the fixed 1.9 combat.

I also dislike how many servers are not up-to-date. A server should be constantly in the latest version of MC so there is more blocks and items for players and more tools for devs.

I also hate if they are too many kids or immature people on. And I hate it if the server is very lax about it's rules. On my server, I perm ban people. No warnings, nothing. Just perm ban the second they break the rule. Only normal people should be allowed on the server.

Not making progress and having little to do.

If you want any more input, just ask. I've been running my server for a year and 3 months now and I've learned a lot from that.
07/28/2016 3:18 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Dolphin
KitterBear
-nope-
1. The competition. Baltop, Island Top, McMMO etc.

2. On Survival I like having the classic game but with Economy and McMMO etc. and on SkyBlock I just like the whole challenge and then things becoming more and more easy after playing for a while.

3. Many things. Some of the large ones for me would be not being able to do /baltop or balances of others (many small servers assume you can see others' balances with just 'essentials.balance' but you need 'essentials.balance.others' in Pex or whatever you use).

Also PvP everywhere except spawn when you're on a Survival or SkyBlock Server.

Also try to get your server popularity relatively even throughout the day (e.g. One SkyBlock server I know has about 100 players at one point in the day and about 10 at another time of the day.) This annoys me because I have to get on at a certain time of the day or I'll be basically alone.

4. There needs to be a large server shop and something like individual player warps and player shops in my opinion.

Hope this helped you! I'm happy to say more if you want to ask more questions!

~Bear
07/28/2016 4:32 am
Smooth_Al
Thank you!its very interesting i didnt know people actually wanted the whole world to be pvp and i completely agree with the balance thing that really annoys me. thank you for the feedback
07/28/2016 2:59 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
Ganzalo
-nope-
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome