Whats wrong with my computer?

likn's Avatar likn2/20/16 10:54 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 53
2/23/2016 8:05 am
likn's Avatar likn
Hello,

I'm trying to sell a computer that has Windows 7 and was fully working and I went to go and reinstall Windows 7 (because I'm selling it) and now I'm running into problems.

When I try I and boot up into the Boot menu and choose the disc usually it will say that there is nothing on the CD, go half way through booting up on the Windows 7 disc then freeze, or sometimes say that it couldn't open the Windows 7 disc because of faulty hardware or something being loose. I have tried different discs, different ISOs, replaced SATA cables and checked them, used USB's to install yet this computer is refusing to install Windows. A day later I start randomly getting errors saying something about that I have to reset system management and it wouldn't let me boot and those errors are randomly gone now. It also said something about me needing to replacing the CMOS battery, but that error has also stopped showing up. Do I need a new HDD? A new Disc drive? The HDD and Disc drive seem to be working fine because I can still boot up into my Windows 7 which is not formatted and play discs perfectly.

Why am I getting all these errors? The computer never ran into any problems at all with anything and now when I want to sell it I'm already getting so many...
likn
Level 23 : Expert Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/23/2016 8:05 am
likn
I finally figured out how to install Windows 7. I burned the ISO onto the flash drive and since the computer had an existing version of Windows I was able to run the setup within the existing version of Windows. I tested the HDD and DVD Drive for a while and all seems well. It's reading discs fine.

Thank you all for your help!
02/21/2016 7:06 pm
likn
Just finished chatting with Dell support. They were probably the least helpful people I've met. She barely knew how to type in English and she summed it all down to that I needed to get the official Dell OS discs which is not the case. She also kept bugging me by saying my computer is out of warranty which I already knew and didn't care.
02/22/2016 12:13 am
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Haha we've all been there. Never bother with any computer-related company live-chat support, because 9/10 times it will be that exact same situation.

As tomtheblob said, try using a usb stick instead.
If you do something wrong on a usb stick when burning something to it, all you have to do is re-format the stick instead of getting an entirely new one like you would with a disc.

All I could suggest at this point is to re-download the ISO from Microsoft and burn it to a USB drive using Rufus, a tool that has worked 99% of the time for me. Then make sure the boot order is correct (Windows Installer > Hard Drive > etc).

But if the discs work on other computers and not that particular one, then it might be a problem with your optical drive. Do you have any other spare optical drives that you could plug into your computer to test if they work instead?
I highly doubt it's a hard drive problem though. These do not sound like hard drive problems at all.
02/21/2016 5:28 pm
likn
So I just got back from selling and shipping 3 other computers (which took so much work because I had to buy boxes and pack the laptops in my car and I have 3 more items to go..) and on the way I also got a CMOS battery yet it still says battery voltage is low.

@Latiodile I have several spare HDD's so I will try seeing if those work. Thanks for the suggestion.
02/21/2016 4:37 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
AdamStormCloak
theirs been bad reviews about it and several blog posts saying reasons why you shouldn't "upgrade"

like the spying thing? lol.. windows 7 and 8 do it too now, so it doesnt matter.. but lets just keep on topic about trying to help him
02/21/2016 4:32 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Farmer
AdamStormCloak
btw when people want you to switch to windows 10

theirs been bad reviews about it and several blog posts saying reasons why you shouldn't "upgrade"
02/21/2016 5:33 pm
likn
Not only do I not believe those blog posts but I don't care too much It's being sold anyways so when whoever gets it they can do whatever.

(Anybody interested in buying a Dell OptiPlex 760 w/ an AMD Radeon 6450? It will be for sale if I ever get to selling it jk )
02/21/2016 3:32 pm
Latiodile
dooly123 has the computer experienced any faults in its time that could be related? how old is it and what is its make? (computer company ect)

_Fox
For your new post:
A) It's a Dell OptiPlex 760
B) Never. It usually always worked if I needed to reinstall Windows.
C) Since this September, actually. The computer was made in 2009 and bought refurbished.
02/21/2016 3:12 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
dooly123
http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/
thats one of the newer linux testing (benchmarking systems anyone of them will do) i would run that have you tryed running ubuntu on a usb stick? has the computer experienced any faults in its time that could be related? how old is it and what is its make? (computer company ect) i would also try a hard drive test of some sort on the laptop and i would also try it on a desktop also check for bad sectors easiest way to check for problems with the hard drive. but as you said it gets stuck just after the loading mouse yes? if so that could very well be a gpu error or probably in this case a igpu i would bash it with the test suit for graphics and see what happens. i have had a few computers like this they come with good old operating systems (xp,vista,windows 7, windows 8) and they wont reinstall windows most have been the hard drive but some have been the motherboards capacitors or dodgy graphics cards.
02/21/2016 2:39 pm
Latiodile
Do you have any spare hard drives you can test first?
02/21/2016 2:37 pm
likn
I think I'm going to get a new 320GB HDD for it even if the HDD is fine. The current HDD sometimes rattles for no reason, is 70GB, and is a IBM Deskstar (which I guess IBM Deskstar HDDS fail very quickly they're given the name "Deathstar"). I'll see if that helps or not.
02/21/2016 2:34 pm
likn
Latiodile
_FoxI dont just copy the files to a USB stick or DVD....
I always use a program (ISO to USB, IMGburn)

if theres one thing i learned from being in the 3DS homebrew scene is to try as many different methods until one works, if the UUI doesn't work try using the official tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... nload-tool

It leads me to believe there is something wrong with the computer.
Out of the 6 Windows 7 Discs I've burned (Yes, 6), all of them have worked on my laptop when I opened the setup. I really don't want to waste more discs because I don't see it working.

Just wondering: Does the CMOS battery have anything to do with this? I have gotten that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced errors before and I am going to the store to find the correct battery.
02/21/2016 2:25 pm
Latiodile
_FoxI dont just copy the files to a USB stick or DVD....

if theres one thing i learned from being in the 3DS homebrew scene is to try as many different methods until one works, if the UUI doesn't work try using the official tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... nload-tool
02/21/2016 2:21 pm
likn
LatiodileI'm saying use this because just copying the files to a usb stick doesnt work 90% of the time

I dont just copy the files to a USB stick or DVD....
02/21/2016 2:00 pm
Latiodile
Try using http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ to make the bootable USB stick, you would have to scroll down on the drop down menu to reach windows... since its mainly a linux installer, but it works with windows. I've used it multiple times

I'm saying use this because just copying the files to a usb stick doesnt work 90% of the time
02/21/2016 1:53 pm
likn
I have used this Windows 7 disc several times and even tried it on my laptop and it worked fine. I'm positive it's not the ISO or disc due to the fact I have just tried it on my laptop and that I tried several different discs and ISO's
02/21/2016 1:48 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
Unknown025
Well, you could try installing Ubuntu instead of Windows to see if your computer works. If you successfully install Ubuntu, then it's probably something wrong with your Windows 7 ISOs (they might not be bootable). If you can't install Ubuntu, then your computer is broken after all.
02/21/2016 1:40 pm
Level 48 : Master Pokemon
Devee
Window 7 can be updated to windows 10 for free by using the windows 7 product key.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO
02/21/2016 1:46 pm
likn
You literally probably didn't read any of the post, did you?
02/21/2016 1:07 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
Try my suggestion.
02/21/2016 1:51 pm
likn
Well I did and I tried DSL Linux (because it's smaller and I'm not keeping Linux anyways) and it booted fine.

UPDATE:

Well I was able to get to this screen:

But shortly after I got the lovely blue screen:
02/21/2016 1:55 pm
Konrad
Take the battery out of your motherboard for about 1-5 minutes and put it back in and it should have reset and bios and no more bsod's it works for me.
02/21/2016 1:24 pm
likn
Trying now
02/21/2016 12:56 pm
likn
ninja246810
Linux is a lot less used than Windows and from what I've heard has a lot more compatibility problems, so I would stick with Windows...

I personally use Linux and I prefer it to Windows, but then again that is my personal opinion. OP said that he is going to resell his computer. As you said already Linux is less used than Windows which would mean that the person OP is going to sell the computer to most likely hasn't used Linux before.

Okay, let's drop the subject Linux now please as I stated that it has nothing to do with my problem. Thank you.
02/21/2016 12:47 pm
Level 41 : Master Ninja
ninja246810
Linux is a lot less used than Windows and from what I've heard has a lot more compatibility problems, so I would stick with Windows...

I personally use Linux and I prefer it to Windows, but then again that is my personal opinion. OP said that he is going to resell his computer. As you said already Linux is less used than Windows which would mean that the person OP is going to sell the computer to most likely hasn't used Linux before.
02/21/2016 12:46 pm
likn
Flaeon

I didn't have any thought of switching to Linux since I said I'm selling it with Windows... Anyways that's not my problem. I couldn't give 2 craps about if I should have Windows 7 or 10 right now
02/21/2016 12:17 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
koinu
ninja246810
_Fox
ninja2468101) Switch to Linux
2) ???
3) Profit

use ur eyes and read the posts please

Yeah, it was me taking the piss. I don't think this is an appropriate place to ask this and maybe do what TheDragonMage said and post on http://www.reddit.com/r/computers

02/21/2016 11:34 am
likn
FurryI quoted you @Lat because you said that you needed a key from Windows 7 for Windows 10 but then I wrote that if you have a genuine copy of Windows that they can get Windows 10 for free. Personally, I've been upgraded ever since the closed Beta (where you had to email Microsoft for a download link+ code, before the TP were publicly available. Everything was hell on Earth because everything was broken except Microsoft owned apps, but it vastly improved over the weeks.)
However, this was directed at you @OP
I was just quoting him in order to show that you can literally just download it right now.
And that's what I recommend.
Download Windows 10 ISO, launch it, and install. It's super simple and Microsoft backed, since it's their own product. (I wouldn't recommend using their old Media Tool though, just the ISO. I have bad experience with the Media Tool.)

So yeah, upgrade <:

The thing is it's refusing to install an Operating System, so I don't see this working.
02/21/2016 11:18 am
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Everyone saying "switch to Linux" obviously hasn't read the rest of the thread and just goes to show how helpful PMC is sometimes most of the time.

OP, make sure you're actually burning the Windows 7/8/10/whatever ISO to the disc that you're using to install Windows. I know it's a bit of a "you don't say" suggestion, but I've seen instances before that people just copy/paste the Windows ISO onto a disc instead of actually burning it.

All I can suggest from there is that you either reset your bios by taking out the cmos battery for a few minutes and then putting it back in later, and completely formatting your hard drive.

If Windows had been working previously, I don't see why your hard drive could be broken/damaged, so that's likely not the problem.
If you've still got the previous copy of Windows on it, try running any other disc in the optical drive. If it works, then your optical drive/sata cables are likely not the problem either.

Unless you're using an actual Windows install disc that was bought from Microsoft, I would assume you're doing something wrong in the burning-the-iso-to-the-disc part.

Or, ya know, you could get a 16gb USB drive for like $5 at any computer store and burn the Windows ISO to that, and install Windows from that.

But seeing that you have a Dell OptiPlex or whatever you had said previously in the thread (can't be bothered to check--prebuilt is prebuilt), prebuilt computers are absolute hell when it comes to re-using their Windows product key. I've tried on multiple occasions to re-use Windows product keys from prebuilt computers, and not one was successful. Microsoft absolutely refuses to re-activate keys that had previously been used on prebuilt computers. Keep that in mind, as you may have to purchase a new key for Windows to be official. (This isn't necessarily the problem, because Windows can run perfectly fine if it isn't activated, there's just an ugly and slightly annoying watermark at the bottom-right of the screen)
02/21/2016 11:31 am
likn
I have tried USB's and DVD's. I literally bought a 24 pack of DVD's just to try to get this to work. I have used ImgBurn, Windows DVD burner, and several other burners. When I put the USB drive with Windows in it still doesn't do anything and nothing even comes up. Would attaching a video help? The error varies sometimes.

Also I bought this Windows 7 key and it has never been used before.

I have also used various computers to burn the image with no avail.

I'll try to burn another copy with a different ISO, but I don't see it working.
02/21/2016 10:45 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
Kypro
02/21/2016 10:27 am
Konrad
Try installing ubuntu on to the Hard Drive to check if the os is the problem if ubuntu doesn't work either then its probably a Hard Drive problem. If you want to check if the Hard Drive is the problem go to this site http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ and click SeaTools for dos and you will get an iso put the iso on an usb or disc with a burning program probably use rufus or something like that and after its on the usb or disc change the boot device to the usb or the disc and you could run it and just follow the instructions on the screen. And when you get a gui click on basic test and either do quick or long.
02/21/2016 10:24 am
ninja246810
1) Switch to Linux
2) ???
3) Profit
02/21/2016 11:27 am
likn
use ur eyes and read the posts please
02/21/2016 11:48 am
ninja246810
Yeah, it was me taking the piss. I don't think this is an appropriate place to ask this and maybe do what TheDragonMage said and post on www.reddit.com/r/computers
02/21/2016 10:07 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
Kovi
To me, it sounds more like a disk drive problem. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
02/21/2016 9:07 am
Level 34 : Artisan Geek
TheLukeGuy
Hmm, I'm not really sure what to say. Maybe try contacting Microsoft? This is one of the reasons why I use Mac and Ubuntu xD

Sorry I couldn't help. I'll think about it a little more and get back to you if I think of a solution.
02/21/2016 9:03 am
likn
I just really need to know what I need. Do I need a new HDD? A new Disc drive? It really sums it to that. It seems both of them work because I can boot off the current Windows 7 that's on it. However, I can't use that Windows 7 because it has too much of my stuff and its not activated and a different edition.

I've tested the HDD and DVD drive on the current booted OS and they both work perfectly which leads me to believe their fine. I have also tried a variation of Windows 7 ISO's from many different places and burning on to several discs however usually I get the same error.

I'd like to sell this at least this week!

For your new post:
A) It's a Dell OptiPlex 760
B) Never. It usually always worked if I needed to reinstall Windows.
C) Since this September, actually. The computer was made in 2009 and bought refurbished.
02/21/2016 8:48 am
TheLukeGuy
You could try installing Ubuntu on there. Ubuntu is better than Windows in my opinion. You do what you want, but I recommend Ubuntu because of its safety, stability, and its free! http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop
02/21/2016 8:51 am
likn
I have already said I don't think my problem is because of the OS. It's refusing to install Operating Systems and I think it's the HDD. Please read my full post before replying.

Also because I'm selling the computer, I would not like Ubuntu. I have a genuine Windows 7 product key and I would like to use that so I would like either Windows 7 or Windows 10 but I'm not worrying about that now. I'm worrying about that my computer is refusing to install OS'es
02/21/2016 8:57 am
TheLukeGuy
Sorry about not reading above xD, I can probably help with this, though. First of all, I need to ask you a few questions. 1. What computer is it? 2. Have you had this problem in the past? 3. How long have you had this computer?
02/21/2016 8:38 am
likn
Bump....
I never fixed the problem
02/20/2016 11:05 pm
Latiodile
I think it was updated so you can use your windows 7 key to activate 10, well it said so in the november 2015 update log at least
02/20/2016 11:16 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
02/20/2016 11:36 pm
Latiodile
Why did you quote me? I had 10 installed since september
02/21/2016 9:39 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
02/20/2016 11:41 pm
likn
Oh wait.... she's talking to you?
02/20/2016 11:33 pm
likn
And that's my problem...
When I put the disc in and boot it up through the disc it

A) Says the disc has nothing on it
B) Goes to Windows is loading files and freezes there
C) Says there is faulty hardware or something is loose

I already talked about this in my post saying that I checked everything and nothing seemed loose or faulty.
02/21/2016 5:56 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Blob
tomtheblob
Boot the ISO from a USB drive, or try seeing if your BIOS is configured to boot to HDD before checking for physical media such as DVDs
02/21/2016 6:13 pm
likn
Thanks for the advice.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome