[Poll] Which computer build is better?

tobbestark's Avatar tobbestark8/23/16 1:51 pm
8/24/2016 10:06 pm
illuminati128k's Avatar illuminati128k
So yesterday I made a few threads concerning the difference between DDR3 vs DDR4 and also the same for Haswell vs Skylake processors. But then it hit me, I shouldn't compare them as two seperate items but as a two working builds. So I put together the new DDR4 platform with the new Skylake architecture and the older DDR3 platform with the older Haswell architechture.
As I'm soon going to build a computer (that's why I'm bringing so many questions up) I have put together two builds, one with DDR3 and Haswell and one with DDR4 and Skylake. Otherwise they're completely similiar. Please tell me which one, in your opinion, is going to be the best performer. I might get the "winner", I don't know. At this point I think I'll get the Haswell one..

The DDR4-Skylake build
The DDR3-Haswell build

Also, the website is in Swedish, as there's where I'm from. But if you have Google Chrome you can try to activate translation from Swedish to English. But the specs and all are measured and sometimes called the same thing as in English so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Tell me if it is and I'll make two pcpartpicker pages instead
tobbestark
Level 44 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/24/2016 10:06 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
tobbestarkSo yesterday I made a few threads concerning the difference between DDR3 vs DDR4 and also the same for Haswell vs Skylake processors. But then it hit me, I shouldn't compare them as two seperate items but as a two working builds. So I put together the new DDR4 platform with the new Skylake architecture and the older DDR3 platform with the older Haswell architechture.
As I'm soon going to build a computer (that's why I'm bringing so many questions up) I have put together two builds, one with DDR3 and Haswell and one with DDR4 and Skylake. Otherwise they're completely similiar. Please tell me which one, in your opinion, is going to be the best performer. I might get the "winner", I don't know. At this point I think I'll get the Haswell one..

The DDR4-Skylake build
The DDR3-Haswell build

Also, the website is in Swedish, as there's where I'm from. But if you have Google Chrome you can try to activate translation from Swedish to English. But the specs and all are measured and sometimes called the same thing as in English so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Tell me if it is and I'll make two pcpartpicker pages instead

DDR3 Haswell in 2016...

Seriously just use the latest hardware that's out when building a computer.
08/24/2016 9:34 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
tobbestark
Pi Time ProductionsAside from the fine details abouth the motherboard and SSD stuff...

Overall, both builds look excellent for gaming. I don't know about the demands of very high-def (4k) games, but most games I would play should run quite beautifully on those builds. Both are nowhere near outdated, but the DDR4 and skylake build is the better choice. The only issue I see is compatibility:
-DDR4 has incompatibilities with older stuff (that this computer won't have)
-Windows 7 & 8.1 arent support on Skylake (problem if you want to use those OSes)

Generally, a better GPU would be preferred over additional SSD. Whether you'll want to play more graphics intensive games (better GPU) or not (better CPU) is up to you.

Really? Skylake doesn't support Win7?? As I'm a little short on money I was thinking about running Linux first, like Ubuntu or Debian, something simple and user-friendly. And later of when I have the money buy Win7. But if what you say is true I might as well get Win10 or just stay on Linux because I don't really like Win10

Killertoad
@OP if you're on a budget, then go with the cheapest option, and use that extra money for games, or a GPU or SSD upgrade. The difference between skylake and haswell isn't that big.

Honestly you could run a ivy or sandy bridge i5 and not really notice too much of a difference.

This is what I feel as well, that it doesn't really matter what I get. The thing is I don't play too demanding games, and I don't plan to either. The games I mostly play are Cites: Skylines, Minecraft but also some Gmod and Counter Strike. And those titles aren't really 1060 worth in my opinion. And that's also why I prioritize an SSD over a GPU as the 960 is fine in my case

Then go with what is cheapest, my computer is way overkill for everything I play, except for GTA V lol, so I know what you mean.
08/24/2016 1:42 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1389843
[deleted]
08/24/2016 2:25 pm
tobbestark
Really? Skylake doesn't support Win7?? As I'm a little short on money I was thinking about running Linux first, like Ubuntu or Debian, something simple and user-friendly. And later of when I have the money buy Win7. But if what you say is true I might as well get Win10 or just stay on Linux because I don't really like Win10

Killertoad
@OP if you're on a budget, then go with the cheapest option, and use that extra money for games, or a GPU or SSD upgrade. The difference between skylake and haswell isn't that big.

Honestly you could run a ivy or sandy bridge i5 and not really notice too much of a difference.

This is what I feel as well, that it doesn't really matter what I get. The thing is I don't play too demanding games, and I don't plan to either. The games I mostly play are Cites: Skylines, Minecraft but also some Gmod and Counter Strike. And those titles aren't really 1060 worth in my opinion. And that's also why I prioritize an SSD over a GPU as the 960 is fine in my case
08/24/2016 7:56 am
Level 21 : Expert Princess
Rachel_Alucard
I srsly dont know as I am not familiar with computer hardware
So....
08/24/2016 1:55 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Then why comment?

08/24/2016 4:32 am
Level 39 : Artisan Ladybug
Xenoniuss
SLI is barely going to gain you anything with Nvidia price/performance anyways...
You *might* bump the performance by 20%, maybe 50%, or even 0%... It all depends on the game... So I do highly suggest not to go for SLI but rather invest in a stronger GPU itself... But for the build? The skylake is obviously better, will be supported for longer and is more up to date.

(I personally also never buy motherboards that allow SLI, it's in my eyes a pointless feature where you pay too much for...)

Oh by the way... Your current motherboard doesn't even support SLI... So if you want to run 2 graphics cards they both have to be from AMD. You really should have double checker on this.

So yes, maybe bump down a little on the SSD and instead buy the GTX 1060 or even 1070...

Soooo.... I ditched your SSD, the extra Sata kabel aswell as the GTX 960 and I got about 3150 crows for a better GPU, and saw this one: https://www.inet.se/produkt/5402825/msi ... -oc/#specs
(Same site as your current builds are on)
A better GPU outweights the benefits of a SDD in my eyes, and it's always more economical to buy a SDD later on and you can use multiple SSD's etc at the same time...
08/24/2016 12:53 pm
tobbestark
I know the "Skylake mobo" doesn't support SLI, but the cheapest z170 mobo I could find was 1399 sek, and I'm not so eager to buy a mobo for that much more JUST to get SLI. And I will not give up on my SSD because i can't just live on ONE HDD, I know it's 1TB but I wan't an SSD to host the OSs on. Also, the 960 I have in the list comes with and 120BG SSD, so if I get that one I get two SSDs with a total of 360GB for only the price of one. That's a great deal for me and it's not a loss for me to only have a 960 because that's more than enough for me as I prioritize CPU power over GPU power
08/24/2016 4:31 am
Level 1 : New Miner
anonpmc1956498
[deleted]
08/24/2016 12:05 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
I'm unsure if this a custom build site (i'm assuming not but i'll leave this advice just incase) swap out 960 with a 1060, same price better performance.
08/23/2016 4:07 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1793855
[deleted]
08/24/2016 12:52 am
tobbestark
As there's no significantly huge difference between the two, I wouldn't call it last gen. Last gen feels like it's more obsolete, but Haswell as well as DDR3 is far from obsolete at this point

JrcarpI'm unsure if this a custom build site (i'm assuming not but i'll leave this advice just incase) swap out 960 with a 1060, same price better performance.

It is a custom build site. But no, I won't swap out the GTX 960, as I wouldn't want to pay more than I am. At first I was going to buy a GT 750Ti, but then I saw the 950 was almost the same price, and then I saw the 960 was almost the same, just a few $10 or so more expensive. And the 1060 is not the same price, and my 960 has 4GB of video memory, and a 1060 with 3-6GB is more than a $50 more, and the cheapest one of those doesn't support SLI like my 960 does
08/23/2016 2:21 pm
Level 24 : Expert Scribe
Travis
I would go with the Skylake build simply because the 6600k is a better processor, and it will likely last longer for around the same price
08/23/2016 2:15 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
anonpmc1956498
[deleted]
08/23/2016 3:01 pm
tobbestark
TravisI would go with the Skylake build simply because the 6600k is a better processor, and it will likely last longer for around the same price

I figured that the "newer" one would be the most upvoted, but how do you feel about the actual build itself? Would you recommend me buying one of these?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome