Why are there so little community based servers?

GamingAleks's Avatar GamingAleks1/31/16 2:15 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 24
2/13/2016 4:18 am
Vigri's Avatar Vigri
I'm looking for it everywhere, but I can't seem to find one. What do you think is the reason there aren't a lot community based servers?. Or at least why almost no one plays it.

Mod Note: This is not a space to advertise your server. Doing so is off-topic and spam and will earn you a warning and a potential ban.
GamingAleks
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/13/2016 4:03 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
avrona wrote:
I don't really care if the server is community based or not. As long as it's fun that's fine. I own a small, vanilla server and as long as I have activities for my players to so it's fine. There is noting on the server that requires cooperation or even just coming into contact with one another.

I would argue that thats the whole purpose of a server, though, to come into contact with and play with other people. If players just wanted to play alone they would go to a single player world. The entire purpose of servers is for multiple people to enjoy the game together.

Depends on what you do on the server really. My server despite being vanilla, is like a hub but on a single world, meaning it is split into lots of separate activities, so there is no survival or creative, or whatever you do on a singleplayer world. Also since my server only gets around 4 people a day, none of the activities are co-op minigames.

Also servers allow you to try something not like traditional MC, without having to make it yourself in singleplayer.
02/13/2016 3:25 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Crafter
Crusoe
Their are a lot out their and most want you to fill out a app to join, they want to keep out the riffraff.
02/13/2016 1:56 am
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
the number of quality community-focused servers that actually have a decent amount of effort put into them are far outnumbered by the servers made by people that have no idea what they are doing. They are spread few and far between and players usually give up their search before finding them because of so many negative results.
02/13/2016 12:03 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
119RHINO965
I think there are actually a number of really great community-based servers out there, provided of course that you do take your time to look for one that you like. Typically, they are of course based around the Survival gamemode.

The problem is that due to the advent of reasonably cheap hosting services coming available, anyone can setup and have a server running within a few hours. Now most of these probably are run by, as people say, nine-year-olds. Because of the influx of half rate servers out there, many of the good ones do get buried along the way.

Personally, I like a nice community-based server and I think that having around 20 players online is optimal, for a few reasons.
- There are is a large variety of personalities.
- You will always find someone online that you can play with.
- There will be a decent flow of chat in game.
- There's probably going to be one or two Moderators online.
- The server should be able to support itself on Donations from the community.
Among many others!

But to get 20 players online, I would estimate that it would take about 500 players signed up to your website and probably 2000 individual logins. This takes time, a long time. Weeks, months or even years. Sadly there are not enough dedicated owners out there, or we simply lose the time in our lives to spend on Minecraft Servers.

Currently, I'm very focused on building my own community. We have a website now, but no server. I figure that if people are patient enough to sign up to a website without having to actually see the game, they will be good and decent people.

I am hoping to go for a Network approach and have a variety of game modes, that it is not to compete with other, but rather to accommodate everyone. I decided that a slightly modded Survival, a Vanilla Survival and Creative would be the way to go. Eventually, I would like a few Minigames too.

There are 7 billion people living on Earth today. 22.5 Million of which are entertained by Minecraft on a regular basis. If you keep playing, searching, you are bound to find a group to call your own
02/13/2016 12:13 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Thats true, it takes a lot of logins etc to get 20 regular players
02/12/2016 11:28 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Its cause everyone's too busy playing on them 1000 player slot mini game servers that are very boring and always are Pay2win.... If they aren't on one of them they are on a lifeless Factions or Prison server... Theres too many mini game,faction,Prison servers they are all have one thing in common: They are boring and lifeless... There is not enough PVE, Build together in No Griefing world..

In Short There is too many people who are in love with Them Big useless money hungry servers... Id love to name some but you cant on here so yea xD
02/12/2016 11:22 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
These are my thoughts, but I think the reason there's a lack of them because the game has become like a business to many people who start a server. Why cater to the few when you can get more by offering things like PvP and minigames? Community-based servers are nice if it's you and a few other friends, however it doesn't really pay upkeep hence why things like that can't really survive anymore.

In short, people want to make money off the game which is a shame now as video games are going from entertainment to being a job.
02/13/2016 3:08 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
^ this.

More and more, servers and Minecraft in general is losing the status of a game to play with friends. I can guarantee half of the people who posted in this thread spend the time they play on servers at least to some point on minigame/hub/whatever servers that just want to take your money.

But while I'm here, I'd like to tell a story anyway:
I've been a member of a certain server, name isn't relevant, for a relatively long period of time. The server doesn't take donations and it is payed for solely by the money administrators make from their own lives. I've encountered numerous people who simply don't understand this - "but if it doesn't take donations, why does the owner keep it up?". This is the kind of mentality that's going to completely end the Minecraft community as a whole. You didn't buy the game to make money, you bought it to play it. Yes, it can be argued that say, projects are a form of art and >artists< should be payed for it, but those who create content (servers included) solely to make money don't deserve to even own the game.
02/13/2016 4:18 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Vigri
Seconded.
02/09/2016 8:10 am
Level 1 : New Miner
ACCFfan
I was actually just talking about how little servers really care about their players, their server, the EULA, or really anything. You can go to server list, and all you see is just factions, towny, creative, pvp, hunger games, and creative (usually all in one server). Most of the servers now a days (with the exception of a few) download their plugins from websites, and then they charge tons of money for things (which the things they are selling usually break the EULA). They spend like $20 to get some person on the internet to design them an animated sign (or use a website) and write something like "No lag" (which can never be true) or "Custom plugins" (usually both). I miss the old days that a server means quality, and not just another way of making money. Servers like mine don't do that and actually care, but sadly, those servers are not going away. I just hope one day, all servers will be unique.
02/09/2016 6:07 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
I don't really care if the server is community based or not. As long as it's fun that's fine. I own a small, vanilla server and as long as I have activities for my players to so it's fine. There is noting on the server that requires cooperation or even just coming into contact with one another.
02/13/2016 1:57 am
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
I would argue that thats the whole purpose of a server, though, to come into contact with and play with other people. If players just wanted to play alone they would go to a single player world. The entire purpose of servers is for multiple people to enjoy the game together.
02/09/2016 3:38 am
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
dooly123
EDIT just read what the mod said
but you are right in saying that out of the population of people playing its mostly young inexperienced little pieces of work we have all be there granted but the sooner i was out of that stage the better anyway most of the servers are little kids just wanting to be popular and own a mc server so they can play with there friends they dont consider that anyone else joining there server that they might actual have a life. as its allways about them or as they say MEMEMEMEME.
02/06/2016 5:34 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
There are actually a lot of community based servers, you just aren't looking hard enough. Look for smaller "survival" servers, most of them have a thriving community form my experience.
02/09/2016 2:27 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
"form" - Irish 2016

<3
02/06/2016 3:03 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
I might be shooting in the dark here, but it could be that community driven servers are private and white listed?

I know mine is. I run mine for my children and my siblings' children who are special needs. It pains me to say that we can be over protective and over reactive when it comes to our children, but the fact is we are. It's bad enough when we're freaking out sometimes when they are interacting with each other.

The point I'm trying to make before I derailed myself is, each community caters to a very specific group. So if you are looking for a community based server, you might want to figure out what type of group you belong in first. Then go looking for that group by trying to find their forums and websites. I think you would have better luck that way then trying to find them in a server list. Well, at least if you do search for them in a server list you would have a better idea of what you are looking for.

The reason I say this is even if they say they are community oriented, if they aren't "your tribe" they aren't going to feel like a community to you. You won't fit in and you won't be happy with the server. Additionally, even if they don't say they are community oriented, if they are "your tribe" you'll click and you'll fit in, and you'll be happy. It will feel like a community naturally to you because of this.
02/06/2016 3:09 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
Yeah I have to agree with you on this, most community servers that I've seen require applications to join and do anything, and the other that I saw was basically a server for people to join and talk about anime.
02/06/2016 3:28 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
I can't imagine having an application process for my server. What a pain in the you know what! I suppose I can understand why people would do it that way.

For us however it's more like a voucher system. You either have to be a family member or have to personally know someone in the family that will vouch for you to get added to the white list. We grow very slowly this way (we've been sitting at 20 people for a year now, with about maybe 8 that are active at any given time) but at least we know who's who and what's what. The downside? I'm the only op and everyone knows where I live. So there are pros and cons to this system. It's not for everyone. lol

Edit: But yes, I think this way of doing things creates the illusion that community based servers don't exist?
02/06/2016 1:52 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
I mean, I help run a network that tries to enrich it's community. Community isn't a prime focus, but it's one of our highest priority.
I guess I see what you're saying, how there's few with the main focus being community, but I feel the few like mine that have community as a high priority can achieve the same effect.

And, to be entirely honest, I think we have a great community. Small, but strong.

-snip-
Edited because people can't take sarcasm.
02/06/2016 1:22 pm
Level 23 : Expert Nerd
likn
I made like 20 in the past however only 9-year-olds wanting staff join so honestly what's the point.

Like DragonAkasaka said, Minecraft has flooded with immature 9-year-olds.
02/06/2016 1:06 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Sweetheart
NSh
They're out there. But quality community-based servers quite hard to find, indeed.
02/06/2016 12:57 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
DragonAkasaka
The reason is Minecraft is now flooded with a ton of nine year olds who can't cooperate.
01/31/2016 3:38 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
dragongirl8933
I have looked too and I think the sever fees are to much if the server isn't big.

01/31/2016 2:40 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
macgarthur
If the owners don't focus on making a community based server and just go for quantity over quality, which is what most seem to do then you'll never have a community server. All of my servers are strongly focused on being a community and that's what they have become. My goal was to have small servers with a quality player base who want to be together, never cared if I only got 5 players as long as they have fun together.

EDIT: Thanks mods for cleaning this up.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome