Why aren't mods made with modmaking tools allowed?

ihhh's Avatar ihhh6/3/13 8:57 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 31
6/6/2013 1:59 pm
PrototypeTheta's Avatar PrototypeTheta
i don't get it, you create the mod's content yourself, the mod is just coded by a program. it's not like modmaking programs are part-pickers or anything.

if this thread is in the wrong place i will allow it to be moved or deleted. i'm new here
ihhh
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/06/2013 1:59 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Effort level coding a mod yourself: over 9000

Effort level clicking a few buttons on a mod maker: 0

Using a mod maker is minimal effort, even making stuff using an API (e.g. flan's mod models) requires quite a bit of effort (and many hours spent recompiling, unless you get everything right first time)
06/06/2013 1:15 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Programmer
fox_news
its IS allowed to be posted but any mod that results from the mod is NOT allowed to be posted due to that you don't know how to mod it nor fix it.
06/06/2013 1:08 pm
ihhh
well, fart.
06/06/2013 12:36 pm
Level 27 : Expert Toast
ToastGhost
As of what I know of I believe these mods have forums ides to post your mods.
06/06/2013 12:31 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
also, my post like this was locked, why can't this one be the same?
06/06/2013 1:16 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
So far people are being civil and we're all just discussing. Questioning things is healthy, esoecially authority, because it keeps things in check. There is a line between questioning something and arguing about it though. I don't know what your thread said, but it must have crossed that line.

On topic, regarding the person comparing this topic to getting parts for a car, this is much different. As someone else mentioned, if you found them in a junk yard, they're free to use with no penalty (equivalent of getting permission to use someone's code). What we're talking about is more along the lines of sneaking into someone's garage in the middle of the night and stripping all the parts off of their car.
06/06/2013 1:55 pm
Punkamoar
whoa, that is deep

and i also understand where you are coming from, and i apologize for being so outright
06/06/2013 12:30 pm
Punkamoar
um, you are questioning the rules of PMC, and i dunno what the mods were thinking when they replied :/
06/06/2013 1:26 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
krugle
I've never even heard of a mod maker until now but from what I gather from reading all the comments let me try to use an analogy to help you understand.

You want to build a car now you could build it all yourself fabricate all the parts the panels build the body up yourself basically you spend years on it and at the end of the day you want to show it off to others who have done the same thing as you.

now lets imagine the mod-maker as a scrap yard you go there swipe some doors off a sedan take the tires off a van toss it on the frame of a truck and it all works yes it all runs and does what you want it to but if you took it to those people who spent all that time building everything completely themselves what do you think would happen?
06/06/2013 11:37 am
ihhh
your argument is invalid as it it a strawman argument. but if you throw parts into a scrapyard you are giving everyone permission to use them for whatever they want. anyway, if the creator of the modmaker made the code used for the mod wouldn't they have givin permission to use it?
06/06/2013 1:13 am
Level 48 : Master Answer
-Rusty
In that case, skin creators shouldn't be allowed, correct?
06/06/2013 1:20 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
They aren't allowed and part-picking has been banned for a long time. I suggest you review the submission rules. lol
06/06/2013 11:58 am
Punkamoar
please just lock this
06/06/2013 12:26 pm
ihhh
no
06/06/2013 1:19 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
Draco Dragon
they are not allowed correct

-D
06/06/2013 1:04 am
Level 49 : Master Modder
stepeffect
Yes, one could compare a programming language in theory to a modmaker. In practice though, they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Java has thousands of functions and libraries that can be used, edited, and combined to perform a near infinite amount of tasks, if you know how to write the code to do so. A modmaker gives you a few options for basic mods that have already been done.

Be honest: what can you actually make with a modmaker that someone has not already done? You can't make anything creative or new, only boring "new block" mods that do nothing but clutter up PMC.

In short, using a modmaker and claiming you made the mod is the same thing as making a texture pack for minecraft and claiming you made the game.
06/06/2013 1:01 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
Draco Dragon
okay lets let a modder explain it, when you use a mod maker you are using someone elses source code, not code that you made yourself, by doing this you are stealing the source from the original author, meaning you did not make it and you do not get to post it onto our site

-D
06/05/2013 11:26 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pig
Greytopher
Let me put it this way: you go find your favorite skins, and you find the part of every skin that you like and you put it into one skin. Now, that isn't yours because you part-picked, and didn't make any of the content on the skin by yourself.

It's the same idea with mods. It's not allowed because the parts you're picking are made by someone else/by a program. You didn't code it, put your sweat, blood, and tears in it. Using things like that is taking the easy way out.
06/04/2013 11:02 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
Actually, a modmaker is the direct equivalent to a part picker in that you take an idea and just click buttons to effectively get a premade mod/skin. Difference being that skin part pickers allow for more editing before/after and often do not have permission to use any of the parts on the program where as most mod maker programs have code all coming from the person making it.
06/05/2013 11:14 pm
ihhh
if that's the case then why is it not allowed?
06/05/2013 11:25 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
Oh Jesus... Did you not read what he wrote?
06/06/2013 12:56 am
ihhh
i did. that's why i'm asking
06/04/2013 9:29 am
Level 39 : Artisan Grump
iminer978
Mod-making programs? I've never seen one...
06/04/2013 9:21 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Skinner
Teddy
I do believe the creators of some of these 'mod-makers' explicitly state that they do not support and/or allow mods created with their programs to be uploaded to sites such as Planet Minecraft.

We at Planet Minecraft push the idea of quality and we feel that mods made with programs such as these could be considered the same as skin-makers such as Skincraft.
Yes, you put the mod/skin together - but you do not own the code/parts as they were created using a program.

This is why we do not allow mods created with mod-makers.
06/03/2013 9:02 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
You don't create it yourself, the program codes everything for you / generates the content for you. Content that is program-generated is not allowed.

The actual only thing you make is the idea and the textures.
06/04/2013 9:24 am
Level 74 : Legendary uwu
TheOfficialNano
Isnt that basically the same about Java?
06/04/2013 9:54 am
RiotShielder
Okay, let me put it this way.

With a program that "mods for you" you simply click a few buttons, compile, and done.

With actual coding, you have to code it, compile, debug, etc, etc, etc.

The reasoning behind that rule is that you don't put much effort into clicking some buttons, but coding it yourself takes hours of time, and is usually a better product as you are not limited by the capabilities of the program that creates the mod for you.
06/05/2013 11:44 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Spelunker
barmas
In java you are limited by a compiler that converts all your code into computer language for you. Maybe a mod creator is a little higher up in the cycle, but java isn't anywhere near actual computer language. Writing the language java took thousands of people thousands of times more time to write it then a mod creator. Also, in java, you make calls to functions in library's that someone else spent hours upon hours creating. It is called taking advantage of the technology around you, and using it to your advantage. There is no need to reinvent the wheel, as is there is no need to limit people with creative ideas about mods with none or little coding background from using tools created by people who used tools to create those tools.
06/04/2013 10:26 pm
ihhh
but isn't it still your mod? it's not like a modmaker is a partpicker
06/04/2013 9:35 am
RiotShielder
06/04/2013 9:47 am
Level 74 : Legendary uwu
TheOfficialNano
Planet Minecraft

Website