Why does nobody ever comment or reply?

blank934939292359235's Avatar blank9349392923592353/30/14 1:21 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 21
4/25/2014 3:15 am
Fishmastr's Avatar Fishmastr
Recently, looking mainly at my own submissions i admit, but not entirely, i have noticed that nobody on planet minecraft ever seems to post.

Of course there are a fair few that do, but what i mean is, for example my texture pack has 1,000 views at the moment, of all that only 4 people have left a comment.... 4

I just find it extremely frustrating when you try to word something so that it sparks conversation, or make something to the best of your ability that no one ever gives any feedback, they just have a quick look at the page and leave.

If you feel similarly or can see how that would be annoying please leave a response.

Thanks
blank934939292359235
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/25/2014 3:15 am
Level 24 : Expert Fisherman
Fishmastr
In my oppinion this blog says it all: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/wha ... -feedback/.

If People dont have something useful to says its better they just give a Diamond. Otherwise you would have to read thousands of "i like it" or "awesome" comments, that just help you nothing.

Especially new Players crave for comments ( i think as they give xp too) but after the 15th "great build" it gets annoying. So better have only 4 Posts giving a good hint you can update your Submission with, than 4 thousand without any Content.
04/03/2014 9:30 am
Level 40 : Master Engineer
Blitzgrutel
The real thing I think, is that you have to build for yourself and not for comments. It does'nt lower the fact that recieving comments is very cool and keeps our passion at high levels, but you have to build only to content yourself first.
04/02/2014 2:21 pm
Level 48 : Master Lad
evanmoney
The thing is most people don't suggest anything because they don't actually look at it.

Most of the people who comment "Nice work" do that because it looks cool, not that it is actually cool in the case of a map or project.

To be honest, a large portion of the Minecraft / PMC community consists of younger kids, many of whom don't understand how to install mods or play maps.
04/02/2014 2:28 pm
Level 29 : Expert Architect
Fingerstache_Jaden
Hmm... yeah. I guess I didn't really think of it that way. I was too focused on the number of downloads and not the people who are actually downloading.
04/02/2014 2:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Architect
Fingerstache_Jaden
I have a similar problem: when I ask people for comments about what I should tweak, add or remove from my map I keep getting comments saying things like "good work" or "keep it up". It's nice to know someone appreciates my work, but when I'm looking for comments to get inspiration or ideas from it's kind of a nuisance. I genuinely appreciate comments, good or bad, that critique my work and I try to respond as quickly as possible to those that do, but I rarely receive any :/
Idk maybe I'm too picky or being to subtle in my desc. How do you guys get suggestions in your comments?
04/02/2014 1:51 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
I read this thread and left. After realizing how ironic that was I am back.

As Jetra said, I try to only comment if I have something meaningful or hilarious to say. If its a really good Blog or Project, I am more likely to just give a diamond and leave. I believe in constructive criticism, but I hate hurting good/hard-working people's feelings; therefore, I don't post criticism as often as I should.
04/02/2014 1:33 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
I would comment more, but I like have them mean something. It's boring to say "Great job" or "Fantastic work!" and the comments should be a place for feedback as well as stating what you, as the commentor like.
04/02/2014 1:36 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
The sort of comments that give constructive feedback are extremely valuable. A well explained opinion is worth many diamonds.
04/02/2014 8:03 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Luis
skillet4eva
cyanturtl
[Owner] Inky-SNIP-

-_- stop with this -SNIP- thing..

just report the post and they'll take it down

He did, however, if someone is posting inappropriate content, then A. please don't include it in your quotes, it just gives the moderators more things to clean up and B. don't minimod in general, it doesn't do a whole lot of good, he was quite obviously a troll and wanted a negative response and wouldn't have stopped if you asked, also minimodding if more extreme, is against the rules

Now, back to the actual thread, if you really want feedback then the comments aren't a great place to look for them, as even if you get them, they usually don't have a great deal of substance. Try places like the forums and chat if you want feedback and comments, as they are places more geared towards conversation and dialogue.
04/02/2014 7:52 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner
cyanturtl
skillet4eva
cyanturtl
[Owner] Inky-SNIP-

i just did
04/02/2014 7:45 am
Level 32 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
cyanturtl
[Owner] Inky-SNIP-

04/02/2014 7:36 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner
cyanturtl
[Owner] Inky-SNIP-

-_- stop with this -SNIP- thing.
04/01/2014 10:49 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Hosfac
The key to understanding the disparity between the number of views and the number of posts lies in understanding how search engines determine "relevance."

There are a lot of complicated calculations that take place in the background, but the two most important (and the least complicated) are tags and keywords. Tags will generally have a higher priority, except when the search finds consecutive keywords in the content (the more it finds, the higher the relevance...which is generally why single word searches don't usually give good results). Once it's got this list, it sorts them by web traffic.

Looking at the tags on your Artufex pack, the first thing I noticed is that you have a lot less than most other content and the ones that you do have are extremely general. Everyone else uses those tags, too.

So, what is happening is that, in most searches, your pack isn't being seen as relevant by the search engine and when it is, it's getting beaten down to near the bottom of the list by pages that have more views. Statistically speaking, a vast majority of searchers don't look past page one, and that percentage drops sharply with each page. Thus, most searchers don't even know that your content exists.

When someone does manage to find the link to your page, only some of them are going to click on the link. Out of the people who click on the link, a majority of them will decide, without reading, that your pack isn't what they're looking for and click back within the first minute or so. Out of the few who stay long enough to read your page, your pack is only going to appeal to some of them. Out of this very small group, less than a quarter will take the time to comment. It's worth noting that you are not alone in your situation: this is how it works for everyone. Web traffic is a game of small percentages.

Now, if you want to increase the number of comments you get, you need to raise your content's visibility. That means refining your tags so it will show up in more searches to increase the odds that people are going to see it. The more people who see it, the more people clicking on your link, which gives you more pageviews. The more pageviews you have, the higher your content will rank in searches, which means more people seeing your content. Rinse and repeat.

Finally, another thing that is affecting your pageviews is the completion level of your content. People are generally more likely to click on a link that is a lot closer to finished than 60%. I understand that your Artufex pack is hand drawn, and I appreciate that this takes time...however, that doesn't alter the fact that people like finished resource packs. Personally, I almost never click on links to resource packs that are less than 80% complete.

And that's probably the biggest shame of all, because your resource pack looks incredible.
03/30/2014 2:43 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Viewing doesn't equate to a like. Diamonds and favorites do.
03/30/2014 2:03 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
blank934939292359235
I suppose it isn't that bad, but you take my meaning, i just think that if people like a work or anything really they should post, telling the author someone wants them to actually continue
03/30/2014 1:56 pm
Level 43 : Master Pixel Painter
ThatGenericPyro
Very weird, I have a similar thing with my Minecraft Skins... O_o
03/30/2014 1:47 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Nerd
LegoSpidermanFan
Paril is right that's pretty good
03/30/2014 1:40 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
4 out of 1000 really isn't that bad. Compare this to people who have a fanbase of hundreds of thousands; a RoosterTeeth video I'm on has 878,895 views and only 1,755 comments. The more popular RT has a view-comment ratio of 0.001, whereas you have a ratio of 0.004. Good job!
03/30/2014 1:37 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
Blogs seem to get a lot of comments, but, meanwhile, textures and projects are usually bare when it comes to comments.
03/30/2014 1:35 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
waterlubber
I noticed the same thing...weird, really...
03/30/2014 1:35 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
argentum alae
Comments aren't posted as often unless you request them. I think that people just don't remember to comment. I know I usually don't remember. Make sure you put a message at the bottom that says to comment. Sometimes, your submissions don't actually need a comment. If you want feedback, you should probably ask on the forums. I find that people never comment annoying as well. I'll try to keep that in mind when I view submissions.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome