Why do people hate the EULA?

LightlySaltedBuilder's Avatar LightlySaltedBuilder8/21/16 10:55 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 103
8/26/2016 9:37 pm
akashi's Avatar akashi
so, personally i don't get why people think enforcing the EULA was such a bad thing.
Most of the servers who are affected are the P2W servers, and personally i think P2W isn't a good thing. I think enforced EULa is a very good thing, as some minecraft servers have become about who's willing to pay the most, not who has the most skill. I think winning should be based on your skill, not what amazing gear you spent your money on. Theres still ways to keep servers going, and if you're not gonna give kits, just do donations. If people want to server to keep going, they'll donate. I once saw a server with a kit for $200, and a good bit of people had it. So if people would be willing to pay 200 for a kit, they should be willing to donate 10$ to help their favorite server.
LightlySaltedBuilder
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/26/2016 9:37 pm
Level 48 : Master Bunny
akashi
This thread has escalated into arguments and flaming.

/lock
08/26/2016 9:14 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
Josephpica
illuminati128k
Josephpica
Who are you to say with you blogs with fancy pictures of stuff that you probably didn't even make? Can you write a Java model, or code a mod? Who are you with your 17 subscribers? HbTextures may not have the sweetest profile, but I've seen his newer works, and it shows true skill.

Eventually I may be able to given I'm investing a lot of my free time into learning java programming. Insult my profile all you want, but I don't spend a lot of time on this site. And I got to level 24 in 8 posts.

Now beyond that, me insulting his crappy profile was beyond the point I was making you bloody fool. How utterly stupid are you?

You lash, I lash. I win, you lose. Don't insult his profile without expecting criticism of yours.

Me insulting his profile wasn't my point you bloody imbecile. I am guessing you're one of his crazed fans that's defending him to the death when he was OBVIOUSLY being a sarcastic cuck. You blindly look past that because you're his stupid fanboy.
08/26/2016 9:08 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
illuminati128k
Josephpica
Who are you to say with you blogs with fancy pictures of stuff that you probably didn't even make? Can you write a Java model, or code a mod? Who are you with your 17 subscribers? HbTextures may not have the sweetest profile, but I've seen his newer works, and it shows true skill.

Eventually I may be able to given I'm investing a lot of my free time into learning java programming. Insult my profile all you want, but I don't spend a lot of time on this site. And I got to level 24 in 8 posts.

Now beyond that, me insulting his crappy profile was beyond the point I was making you bloody fool. How utterly stupid are you?

You lash, I lash. I win, you lose. Don't insult his profile without expecting criticism of yours.
08/26/2016 9:05 pm
illuminati128k
Josephpica

08/26/2016 9:00 pm
JozyP
illuminati128k
Josephpica
illuminati128k
Congrats, you just proved yourself to be the dumbest person on this thread.

Great job moron, you accomplished absolutely nothing by saying that, and just made yourself look like an idiot, and called one of the most talented guys on this thread a "dumbest person".
Way to go, genius.

I'm the dumbest person? Please elaborate.

All I did was politely ask MrMidnight (or whatever his name was) to elaborate on what he found bad about the EULA. All he said in response was to read his post which contained next to NOTHING about how the EULA was bad. Now when I stated the EULA was a good thing, he gets all butthurt and says to stop disrespecting his opinion, even though this thread is a CLEAR thread to debate about the EULA. He acted like a coward that way.

Then HBTextures acts like a sarcastic moron and says I won next to nothing just because I responded to the stupidity of MrMidnight. I had every right to call him dumb.

Also, really you're calling him talented? All he did was make an unoriginal and effortless mod, and a bunch of awful looking skins. A lot of skill must have been put into that.

I know the guy, I've seen his latest work, and I know he's talented in what he wants to do.
08/26/2016 8:41 pm
Level 22 : Expert Pony
Tazclap_
this EULA is completely messed up and will ruin the game. Big servers are up because they are making profit, giving the owners a point to running the server. Mojang is ruining their own game.
08/26/2016 9:01 pm
JozyP
Wait, nevermind.
This is the dumbest guy in the thread...
08/26/2016 7:52 pm
illuminati128k
Josephpica
illuminati128k

Great job moron, you accomplished absolutely nothing by saying that, and just made yourself look like an idiot, and called one of the most talented guys on this thread a "dumbest person".
Way to go, genius.

I'm the dumbest person? Please elaborate.

All I did was politely ask MrMidnight (or whatever his name was) to elaborate on what he found bad about the EULA. All he said in response was to read his post which contained next to NOTHING about how the EULA was bad. Now when I stated the EULA was a good thing, he gets all butthurt and says to stop disrespecting his opinion, even though this thread is a CLEAR thread to debate about the EULA. He acted like a coward that way.

Then HBTextures acts like a sarcastic moron and says I won next to nothing just because I responded to the stupidity of MrMidnight. I had every right to call him dumb.

Also, really you're calling him talented? All he did was make an unoriginal and effortless mod, and a bunch of awful looking skins. A lot of skill must have been put into that.
08/26/2016 6:49 pm
JozyP
JediJerboa
Josephpica
JediJorboaPlus, don't you want to reward people for quality work?

Quality work?
I believe the quality work by Mojang should be protected an not sold. The EULA does nkt target "quality work". It removes the opportunity to sell something that you didn't make, and don't own.

Don't take my words out of context. You must learn to see the potential in all that is new. Minecraft offered its work as tools for the player to create their own story. It may seem as if they are taking it for their own, but in time they shall create something greater. However, I'm assuming you're only hearing what you want to hear. Stop trying to fan the flames by twisting the words of others. I think you need to be more open to other people's ideas.

No, I am not responding to "what I want to hear". Realistically, we can't change the EULA, and it's not our place to change it. The EULA was set by Mojang, and whoever purchases the game automatically agrees to it. If you don't like it, leave the game. Stop complaining about something you can't change and have already agreed to follow.

JediJerboaAlso, what happened to my name?

Don't ask. :/
08/26/2016 6:16 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
Josephpica

Quality work?
I believe the quality work by Mojang should be protected an not sold. The EULA does nkt target "quality work". It removes the opportunity to sell something that you didn't make, and don't own.

Don't take my words out of context. You must learn to see the potential in all that is new. Minecraft offered its work as tools for the player to create their own story. It may seem as if they are taking it for their own, but in time they shall create something greater. However, I'm assuming you're only hearing what you want to hear. Stop trying to fan the flames by twisting the words of others. I think you need to be more open to other people's ideas.

Also, what happened to my name?
08/26/2016 6:06 pm
JozyP

Quality work?
08/26/2016 5:58 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
I agree that Minecraft was not created to teach nor to make millions of dollars. However, Minecraft was created so that everyone could have fun. If Minecraft had never wanted people to pay and create servers, they would have never offered it. Plus, don't you want to reward people for quality work? If you create a really fun server that many enjoy, you deserve your pay. Plus, all servers had to start out small and grow, just like anything else. Now, the EULA took those who abused this system out of the equation, and I'm thankful for that. But some little servers need to stay in order to ensure that it can take the place of the older servers when they topple and fall.
08/26/2016 5:55 pm
JozyP
Mooselk
Josephpica
MooselkIf they didn't want servers to make money they would've flat out said no selling of anything or what ever. How are you level 34 and this dumb?

Let's just...
Look at this, and see how someone could be so... Stupid...

The EULA says that selling any in-game non-cosmetic item is not allowed.

Yes, But servers are aloud to sell "Crate Keys and rank subscriptions" Demonstrated by mineplex and the archon. That is still a source of income.

Mojang did not make server ranks or crate keys, so as long as the items included in the purchases are cosmetic, Mojang is fine with it.
08/26/2016 5:52 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
RadBuilder
The reason people dislike/hate the Eula (mostly server owners/staff) is because there are no clear rules on what does and doesn't violate the Eula. Not to mention that the Eula is almost constantly changing, and the only way to get information is by sending an Email with questions to Mojang's Enforcement team.

The Eula changes first started out with no pay to win features (such as spending real money for kits), but soon grew into a big mess. Popular solutions to keep players donating to cover server costs were un-bans, the ability to ride pets on servers other than lobbies, the ability for mounts/pets to move at faster speeds (even in lobbies), the ability to disguise into a pet that can originally fly (even if you can't fly while disguised), and certain global boosters. All of these popular solutions are no longer allowed with the Eula changes. The next big thing that changed was voting. Voting for in-game currency and other things (other than cosmetics) is not allowed as players spend their time to vote, which is considered a hard currency.

With those and many more restrictions put in place by the Eula (so much for "the only limit is your imagination"), the only way for servers to make money is by selling cosmetics. Smaller and medium servers depend on donations to say alive and cover server costs. While most small servers aren't worrying about the Eula and being blacklisted (as there are too many), medium servers either decide to: a) not follow the Eula or b) try to comply, lose money, and shutdown because the majority of players aren't interested in cosmetics. Minetime is an example of a medium server that decided to shutdown because they were blacklisted for not being Eula compliant. Large servers don't worry about being blacklisted because it would cause their large player base to retaliate, and some large servers even have some features that aren't allowed with the Eula such as boosts if you're in a game with a VIP/MVP.

This is why people dislike and hate the Eula. It put too many restrictions on a game that used to have none.
08/26/2016 6:00 pm
JozyP
I see what you're saying, but to counter what others might think of it...
These servers are selling things that they do not own.
Even the server hosts don't own the items.
Why should Mojang allow the selling of items in their game si that other losers can make a living.
That would make no sense.
08/26/2016 7:20 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
RadBuilder
08/26/2016 5:53 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer
Mooselk
Thank you! Couldn't have said it better.
08/26/2016 5:49 pm
Mooselk
Josephpica
MooselkIf they didn't want servers to make money they would've flat out said no selling of anything or what ever. How are you level 34 and this dumb?

Let's just...

Yes, But servers are aloud to sell "Crate Keys and rank subscriptions" Demonstrated by mineplex and the archon. That is still a source of income.
08/26/2016 5:40 pm
JozyP

Let's just...

08/26/2016 5:37 pm
Mooselk
If they didn't want servers to make money they would've flat out said no selling of anything or what ever. How are you level 34 and this dumb?

Also I never said anything about mojang owning servers.
08/26/2016 5:25 pm
JozyP
illuminati128k
HbTextures
illuminati128k
Oh my gosh, this is literally the stupidest way to get out of a discussion.

We have different opinions, but that doesn't mean I can't challenge your opinion on things such as the EULA, ESPECIALLY considering this forum thread is literally a place to debate on whether the EULA is bad or not.

You've gave up, I win this argument.

Conglaturations, you won a box of nothing.

Way to go, genius.
08/26/2016 5:25 pm
Mooselk
On one hand the EULA is great because you don't get little kids taking there parents credit cards and buying a $700 "admin" rank x3

On on the server side, It makes it harder fpr the servers owner to make money and pay the server.

So it's kind of a lose, lose. :/
08/26/2016 5:27 pm
JozyP
Why should servers make money? They don't really help anyone. They are just renting the server.
08/26/2016 5:30 pm
Mooselk
Servers are a great way for people to play together, Alot of people put a lot of work in to them. and It's quite expensive

For a network "A GOOD one" It's $20 per 4gb Node. (Node is what the server is hosted on)

Multiply that by the amount of servers, Lets say 8 Including bungee and hub. + a website, But i'll leave that part out...

It'll add up to about $160 per month out of pocket.
08/26/2016 5:33 pm
JozyP
Mojang doesn't own servers, si they don't want servers to make money off of something that the server owners don't own. So they created Realms. Now, players have a safe and great way to play together. Also, Mojang is making money. Realistically, this is the way it should have always been.
08/26/2016 5:12 pm
illuminati128k
HbTextures
illuminati128k

We have different opinions, but that doesn't mean I can't challenge your opinion on things such as the EULA, ESPECIALLY considering this forum thread is literally a place to debate on whether the EULA is bad or not.

08/26/2016 5:02 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
HbTextures
illuminati128k

08/26/2016 4:57 pm
illuminati128k
MrrMidnight
illuminati128k
MrrMidnightI didn't had to go into full detail about it, I explained some things about it. But are there rules for that kind of stuff then? Why hate? I never flamed the EULA either, It's just my opinion on it.
You would've known if you would have truely read it right.

What are you on? You never said anything about the EULA besides this:

MrrMidnight(Before reading: This is my personal opinion about the EULA, not to offend anyone, or meant as something really emotional, I just want people to realize that they're still playing a game and making money, sure, okay, but don't let it be your goal.)

How I think about the EULA is like this:
The EULA is sure a bad thing, and it's starting to restrict more things over time, but it's done for a reason, the people who used Minecraft in the wrong way are now being punished. For me, punishing the bad is a good thing, right? And being one of those bad guys is not good, so I obey the EULA. How hard it might be, there are still ways to survive. And yes, those ways become harder since ranks become less attractive, and you sometimes even have to pay out of your own pocket for a longer period of time, but you have to stay original and get new ideas so your ranks stay interesting.
And at the end, it's not about the money you're making, right? It's about seeing the fun people are having with what you have created, in the end, it's about the community.
Servers like Hypixel, CCG, Mineplex, The Hive, they are still there, why?
They obey to the EULA.
And how unfair it might seem like, with other games like Gmod, Unturned and Rust not even having an EULA or a very small one with only a few restrictions, Minecraft is a whole other type of game. Sure, those other games are sandbox games too, but Minecraft Multiplayer is like a culture in itself.
You have to learn the culture before judging them, unite and become one.
Together we create beautiful things, like we always did, that's the goal of Minecraft, right?

So for me, the EULA might seem bad, but there's a way around it.
And I'm happy to work my way around it.

PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes I might have made, I'm not an English professional.

All you said about the EULA was that it's bad, and that ranks are less attractive. You never explained truly why the EULA is a bad thing. I'd say otherwise as there is nothing wrong with it.

Yeah here it goes wrong.
''I'd say otherwise as there is nothing wrong with it.''
That's 100% an opinion, so was mine. Please respect each others opinions, shall we?

08/26/2016 4:09 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Hunter
Pysisco8
I believe this needs to be locked now . The post has been answered, And now its become a fight. Lets calm down please.
08/26/2016 4:59 pm
illuminati128k
Or maybe you're just being too insensitive. A mini-debate on the EULA does not equate to an aggressive flame war.
08/26/2016 5:31 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Hunter
Pysisco8
Your just proving my point. And, I never said that it did. See what this things doing?
Pfft, Im assuming this is a joke.

Anyways, Not to be offtopic NOW.

The EULA is here for equal server chances and to protect Mojang/Microsoft.
Nuff said.

Im waiting for a response any secound now.
08/26/2016 3:32 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
illuminati128k
MrrMidnightI didn't had to go into full detail about it, I explained some things about it. But are there rules for that kind of stuff then? Why hate? I never flamed the EULA either, It's just my opinion on it.

MrrMidnight(Before reading: This is my personal opinion about the EULA, not to offend anyone, or meant as something really emotional, I just want people to realize that they're still playing a game and making money, sure, okay, but don't let it be your goal.)

The EULA is sure a bad thing, and it's starting to restrict more things over time, but it's done for a reason, the people who used Minecraft in the wrong way are now being punished. For me, punishing the bad is a good thing, right? And being one of those bad guys is not good, so I obey the EULA. How hard it might be, there are still ways to survive. And yes, those ways become harder since ranks become less attractive, and you sometimes even have to pay out of your own pocket for a longer period of time, but you have to stay original and get new ideas so your ranks stay interesting.
And at the end, it's not about the money you're making, right? It's about seeing the fun people are having with what you have created, in the end, it's about the community.
They obey to the EULA.
And how unfair it might seem like, with other games like Gmod, Unturned and Rust not even having an EULA or a very small one with only a few restrictions, Minecraft is a whole other type of game. Sure, those other games are sandbox games too, but Minecraft Multiplayer is like a culture in itself.
Together we create beautiful things, like we always did, that's the goal of Minecraft, right?

PS: Sorry for any grammar mistakes I might have made, I'm not an English professional.

All you said about the EULA was that it's bad, and that ranks are less attractive. You never explained truly why the EULA is a bad thing. I'd say otherwise as there is nothing wrong with it.

Yeah here it goes wrong.
''I'd say otherwise as there is nothing wrong with it.''
That's 100% an opinion, so was mine. Please respect each others opinions, shall we?
08/26/2016 3:21 pm
Flappo
I didn't had to go into full detail about it, I explained some things about it. But are there rules for that kind of stuff then? Why hate? I never flamed the EULA either, It's just my opinion on it.
08/26/2016 3:28 pm
illuminati128k

They obey to the EULA.

08/26/2016 3:26 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
How about ya cut the mystery blah and say why it's bad?

Because hint hint, it really isn't.
08/26/2016 3:30 pm
Flappo
No it isn't that bad.
But I'll explain.
I said ''The EULA is sure a bad thing.''
I followed with saying that it's restricting more over time, which isn't good in my opinion, because what we have now is right, and voting restrictions are really not needed since they don't have anything to do with ranks and purchasing.
Also, the way Mojang enforces the EULA could be better.
They don't notify you that a server is taken down, they simple show you a fake error message and leave it up to the server to tell their players.
And there are a few more little things, but as I already said in my original post, I don't think the EULA is that bad.
08/26/2016 1:09 pm
illuminati128k
Also keep in mind that the EULA enforcement will probably allow for higher quality servers. The thing is that people could keep crappy servers running for as long as they want - so long as manchildren and spoiled kids could keep funding the server for pay2win ranks.

When the pay to win concept is removed, servers become more of a hobby as it must be self-funded. If donations are needed and one can't fund the server themselves, then they absolutely need to ensure their players are completely satisfied and will help pay to keep the server up and running.
08/26/2016 4:07 pm
JozyP
I agree, for the most part.
08/26/2016 11:01 am
Flappo
(Before reading: This is my personal opinion about the EULA, not to offend anyone, or meant as something really emotional, I just want people to realize that they're still playing a game and making money, sure, okay, but don't let it be your goal.)

They obey to the EULA.

08/26/2016 12:55 pm
illuminati128k
What is bad about the EULA?
08/26/2016 2:03 pm
Flappo
If you have read the text, you would've known.
08/26/2016 3:17 pm
illuminati128k
I read it, you never went in detail on what was bad about the EULA smart one.

Try again.
08/26/2016 10:29 am
JozyP
PackAsaurusRex
Josephpica
Some servers will shut down, that's too bad, but it's what is right, IMO. Why should someone be able to take a free to play game and force others to pay money so that they can access things that were granted when whoever bought the game.
It's like buying a buss pass, but then having to pay extra because the bus driver (who doesn't even own the vehicle he's driving) says you have to pay for the bus gas, and he won't drive you unless you pay for the gas, even though the services of the ticket granted that you would be driven to said location.

You were never forced to pay anything. Donations are not required.

Lol. But you want to use a diamond sword, granted when you bought the game, and someone wants to make yiu pay for it.[/quote]
08/26/2016 10:27 am
JozyP
So I don't disagree with everything that everyone is saying, but if I quote you, you're not in a good position.
08/26/2016 10:23 am
JozyP
Okay...
So I have a lot to say to these.
08/26/2016 9:00 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
PackAsaurusRex
[/quote]
Some servers will shut down, that's too bad, but it's what is right, IMO. Why should someone be able to take a free to play game and force others to pay money so that they can access things that were granted when whoever bought the game.
It's like buying a buss pass, but then having to pay extra because the bus driver (who doesn't even own the vehicle he's driving) says you have to pay for the bus gas, and he won't drive you unless you pay for the gas, even though the services of the ticket granted that you would be driven to said location.[/quote]

You were never forced to pay anything. Donations are not required.
08/26/2016 4:12 am
Level 48 : Master Sailor
Sunshine Cruise Line
i think they made the EULA cuz lots of big famous servers wont exist, and the people would buy a realm
08/26/2016 6:26 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Not, really. It's mainly so people don't get an unfair advantage for paying. Like getting an OP diamond sword for paying. And all the big servers follow the EULA and still exist. In fact it's not that hard to follow it. I didn't have to change anything about my server when the EULA enforcement came in. And the servers that got blacklisted were blacklisted for a very good reason.
08/26/2016 8:40 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Weaver8185
yea, they dont just blacklist some 1 without notice either, they let you know what your doing wrong and from that theres 2 options, ignore them or change what they have requested you to, and as for making the eula, its been around since day 1 and all the famous server have changed to be eula compliant
08/26/2016 2:16 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Zestryn
If You spend Your Personal Money On a server We want to be asured we get what we payed for.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome