Why am I unsatisfied? [Discussion]

Bear_'s Avatar Bear_5/5/16 3:47 pm
5/6/2016 3:42 am
Bear_'s Avatar Bear_
Hello friends and foes, I haven't posted anything interesting to the forums in a long time. The subject I'm about to discuss is personal, and I am wondering if I am the only one experiencing this.

Lets just jump straight into the subject:
I've been a minecraft-builder (or at least calling myself one) for a long time now, we're talking about roughly 3 years. I've always loved playing minecraft, not necessarily talking about vanilla, but creative as well. I love to build, create, expand, mainly for my own satisfaction.

However, I'm currently at a state where everything I create (in-game) is unsatisfying to me. I just dislike the looks, the quality, the size, it's always something that bothers me. (in both creative and survival mode I do projects, resulting in the same feelings).

The question now is, seen in the title of the post as well, why do I experience this and am I the only one experiencing this?

Is it because the overall quality of other builders in minecraft has increased in the past years?
Is it because I've been playing the game for too long?
Is it because I'm not creative (anymore)?
Is it me getting older?
Is it the game changing too much (making it less fun)?
Sadly, for me personally none of these seems to be it..

I was wondering if anyone experiences this, and how do you deal with it? (doesn't have to be building, maybe this happens (or happened) to you with making skins or resource-packs for example.

I know, I'm sorry, this is not the most interesting subject, but I'm just curious and want to share my feelings. :*

Please share your thoughts, experience, solutions, etc with me down in the comments. I'd be happy to talk about it AND hopefully continue to play the game with joy.

Peace out -
Bear_
Level 47 : Master Bear

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/06/2016 2:34 am
Level 36 : Artisan Procrastinator
VoxelBlox
This happens to me more than people think. In multiple groups in Skype and Discord I will share pictures of some recent builds, but what they don't know is that most of them have been finished for months. I become unsatisfied of my work mainly because I'm the only one working on them. I enjoy the company of others and even just another username on a server besides myself makes me feel more satisfied with my content.

Like the advice above, take a break for a little bit. Go hang out with friends and family. Come back and invite some people to spend some time with you on whatever you are building. It helps me tremendously when someone does that. It could help you. If you want someone to talk to or if you need any help with any builds, hit me up, I'm usually free to help.
05/06/2016 3:42 am
Bear_
The upper part of your reply is exactly me. I've never been able to build in singleplayer, lol..

Yeah thanks, kinda makes me feel like this is the only thing I do, but I chill with friends and family 5/7 days of the week . Anyway, I'll add you on skype, and when I'm back, I might just ask you to build with me (or somethin').
05/05/2016 11:12 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
A break is good.

In my case, I've taken a few breaks (been playing MC for what, classic included, is turning out to be about 7 years) and am feeling a more permanent fatigue and a sense of really not giving a damn anymore. For that, I don't think I can give a cure. But since you're only at the 3 year mark I think you'll be fine if you just take a break for a while with the other advice in this thread.
05/06/2016 3:39 am
Bear_
Well, the 3 year mark is just a mark where I got interest for building/architecture in the game. I've been playing it since Beta 1.8 (known as Classic 1.8), and I also took several (long) breaks from the game, I guess it's just time for another one. Thanks a bunch
05/05/2016 11:01 pm
Level 48 : Master Nerd
that2guy
Yeah I've been in this state for about a year now, only just coming back! I've got so many projects I want to work on, so much time...
05/05/2016 6:17 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
simssuker
Here's an Idea!
Get a new Texture Pack,
Take a break,
build with Other Friends,
Make more huge builds.
Ooh. Start a whole new gameplay. Like, instead of Build. Why not become a Miner, or a Crafter. Leave the extras to a friend.
But after all, it's your choice.
05/05/2016 5:51 pm
Level 73 : Legendary Pig
Aequotis
cri :<

Personally I'd say a break is good /BUT/ not a long one, being out of the groove can kill the creativity and make you feel you're bad at building; peeps advance thus so do building styles

Eyyy just take a wee break, have some fun, chill in the country; build up that inspiration, challenge yourself to try to build the hnnng stuff you see

Ily ye old baer <3
05/06/2016 3:38 am
Bear_
That's probably what I'll do then..

Ily2 Ae <3
05/05/2016 5:41 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Sorrrowws
I'm in the same boat , i'm about to start up a vanilla server for players to play on.. everyone gets bored of things after a while.. just take a month break! That's what i did
05/05/2016 5:32 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
lowkeyloki112
Sounds like artist's block to me. Maybe you should take a break for a little while.
05/05/2016 5:28 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Princess
Faxwy
Furry fandom is best fandom.

It seems you're trying to be a perfectionist or you're depressed
05/05/2016 3:59 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dolphin
EmeraldEclipse
I do experience this from time to time, and my solution is: Take a break. Whether that means just taking a break from building and hunting some skellies down or taking a break from Minecraft in general, this works like a charm. I don't mean just 5 minutes; anywhere from an hour to days to weeks. Looking at other player's builds or other things that inspire me helps as well. After my break, I can come back, critically assess my work, and start anew.

I wish you luck!
05/05/2016 4:03 pm
Bear_
That sounds like a solid advice. The thing is I've got plenty of free time, and I don't want to spend it all playing the CoD series..
05/05/2016 4:04 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dolphin
EmeraldEclipse
Just join some fandoms. Trust me, you will be busy.
05/05/2016 4:48 pm
Bear_
Thanks, I'll do that. <not sure if allowed to ask on forums> Do you by any chance know a fandom to start at? Thanks a bunch.
05/05/2016 3:58 pm
Bear_
Don't get me wrong, I love the game and all. It's just I love to see people build dirt houses and be happy with it. I wish I had the same.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome