Will a GTX 1080 work in this build?

Scott's Avatar Scott7/23/16 2:48 am
1 emeralds 471 7
7/23/2016 7:20 am
Fureniku's Avatar Fureniku
Hello PCMR people,
I am a programmer, who has a basic knowledge / can build computers. There are many more of you here that understand this, so I feel this is the best place to ask.
My parents gave me £700 to buy a new grahpics card, after I got an irl award. So, I plan to get a GTX 1080, as I am currently sat with a R7 360.

So, the 1st thing I did was go on PcPartPicker and part together my PC, and just replace the graphics card. No warnings down below. Read the card length, and it will fit fine in the case (and if not, hacksaws exist ).

Here is my current build, but with the 1080:
Click to reveal
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£85.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£59.08 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£28.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card (£679.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: BitFenix Neos Black/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£42.09 @ BT Shop)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 PWM 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£5.49 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £973.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-23 07:46 BST+0100

Now I know this may not be practical, ok ish processer and cheap mobo, but I'm an idiot. So lets do it.

My true question is will it actually work? Does the mobo have correct something that I don't know about? Is there something that won't work hardware wise?
I don't want to just go and spend this much money this quickly, and want to be sure it works.
Scott
Level 39 : Artisan Droid

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/23/2016 7:20 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
It should be alright so long as you're not overclocking, but if you're planning to upgrade in the near future a 750w wouldn't hurt. There are calculators around the internet that tell you the exact power draw of any given setup, so you might wanna double check one of those to be sure.

Also, just looked at the list again. Don't buy it yet - I bought the AERO version of your card on preorder as soon as it came up and I payed £535 - now the same site is selling it on preorder for 640 purely due to stocking issues from MSI. Wait until stocks stabilise (Probably next month) and you'll save a fair bit of money on it. It has the exact same clock speeds as Founder, just a different cooler to allow for more overclocking headroom;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-gefo ... 24-ms.html
07/23/2016 7:13 am
Scott
So do you know if it will work OK with my 500 watt PSU?
07/23/2016 7:09 am
Fureniku
Sodex234

I'm not stupid, I'm not gonna cut it! I would of just removed the hard drive bay (thats empty) which would double the open space.

Ah fair enough. Most hard drive bays in a full size case are removable anyway so you probably still won't need a hacksaw, there should be some screws somewhere that are holding it in place (Often coming down from the 5.25" bays above)
07/23/2016 6:41 am
Scott
Silvania Studios
Sodex234Read the card length, and it will fit fine in the case (and if not, hacksaws exist ).

Just because you can't SEE electronics it doesn't mean they aren't there, there's so many different storiesaround the web of people just like you who thought "My GPU is too long, I'll cut it shorter" and had a nice, dead GPU as a result.

If it's too big, get a bigger case or don't get the card Remember you want to add about 1cm to the total length too for some wiggle room when you're actually getting it in.

I'm not stupid, I'm not gonna cut it! I would of just removed the hard drive bay (thats empty) which would double the open space.
07/23/2016 6:38 am
Fureniku
Sodex234Read the card length, and it will fit fine in the case (and if not, hacksaws exist ).

Just because you can't SEE electronics it doesn't mean they aren't there, there's so many different storiesaround the web of people just like you who thought "My GPU is too long, I'll cut it shorter" and had a nice, dead GPU as a result.

If it's too big, get a bigger case or don't get the card Remember you want to add about 1cm to the total length too for some wiggle room when you're actually getting it in.
07/23/2016 6:25 am
Scott
Will it work OK with the 500Watt PSU?

PC Part Picker thinks so, but just want to check with real people I'm not going to be putting it in a HUGE load, no VR, no 4K, just 1080p games on ultra settings.
07/23/2016 3:01 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
bginn5152
should be fine and yes it will fit with the motherboard
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome