Will Minecraft Die?

Lennie2306's Avatar Lennie23064/22/14 4:26 am
1 emeralds 2.3k 83
4/24/2014 10:35 pm
Colonellooo's Avatar Colonellooo
I've been wondering if Minecraft will just be shut down? (Bad For Youtubers)

I think it will one day but probably not for a while. What do you think?
Lennie2306
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/24/2014 10:35 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
Games like RuneScape and WOW have been open for 10+ years. So no Minecraft won't die as long as new updates, mods, maps, and resource packs are made.
04/24/2014 10:30 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Ekthon
I don't think so, it never will I believe. It's a game anyone can play, and there's such a huge community behind it. And besides, it's the modern Lego haha and when did lego ever get boring? Never (That's my opinion though, and I think no one has ever called Minecraft that) And there's so much to do in the game, by the time anyone gets bored of it computers should have ceased to exist then
04/24/2014 6:44 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
ME1312
lazpasta
GG50
SnowyKaida

am i special?!

No.

Am I Crazy?

Yes
04/24/2014 5:59 pm
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
Amsarian
Lennie2002I've been wondering if Minecraft will just be shut down? (Bad For Youtubers)

It's still making money, so I'm sure Mojang have no plans to "shut down" Minecraft soon. What's the point of getting rid of something if it's making you rich? And no matter how many people say that its popularity is declining, people are always buying it.

So no, Minecraft isn't going to be shut down, certainly not anytime soon. It may possibly be abandoned in the future, but even abandoned games still work, so long as they aren't always online.
04/24/2014 5:43 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Ranger
Shooting_Stars_
04/24/2014 5:42 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Ranger
Shooting_Stars_
I seriously don't think it will die out for quite a long time, if you think it gets boring for you seriously just stop playing minecraft then.
04/24/2014 4:58 am
Lennie2306
If you could run MC would you? And if yes how long do you think you could keep it going.
04/24/2014 6:49 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Henry_Jekyll
I wouldn't but if I did, I would probably put all the effort I have into an update that adds fish and birds or something then just procrastinate for the rest of my life to do anything else.
04/23/2014 8:55 pm
Level 24 : Expert Toast
nolez15
herobrine6197There is one saying, "What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger."This is the saying that has kept me going for over a year now. Be true to yourself and know that you can always do better
This is NOT true. Getting shot in the spine will paralyze you for life.

Actually, it's a LOT more likely that that will end up killing you. Therefore, the saying is correct.

Assuming the shot doesn't puncture the heart, lungs, stomach, or pancreas on it's way through, it will likely sever the Conus Medullaris or the Hepatic Artery, disconnecting the brain from vital organs, or causing massive hemorrhaging.
04/23/2014 8:35 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
shark7861234
jackielove8_
deadrecon98
Lennie2002I've been wondering if Minecraft will just be shut down? (Bad For Youtubers)

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

lol

idk what that means "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched" what does this mean?
04/23/2014 8:19 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Skinner
jackielove8_
deadrecon98

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

lol
04/23/2014 8:12 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
herobrine6197
There is one saying, "What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger."This is the saying that has kept me going for over a year now. Be true to yourself and know that you can always do better[/quote]
This is NOT true. Getting shot in the spine will paralyze you for life.
04/23/2014 8:10 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
SillyPandas
Maybe 2 years more and than it'll die out
04/23/2014 8:03 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
eminemfan33
z3rx20Thats stupid, a game CANNOT last for more then 10 years. no matter what it is.

Pokemon Red. Still greatly popular. The first Japanese version was released back in 1996. Eighteen years ago. Think Pokemon Red is a bit too far back? Pokemon Ruby is still pretty popular, being originally released with Sapphire in 2002 in Japan. That's twelve years ago. How about good ol' SimCity 4? I play it, as well as many others do. Heck, I saw some images of it on a rather popular subreddit just today. Released originally in 2003. Eleven years ago.

These are just two games that I thought off the top of my head. There are probably waayyy more that I could also mention.
There will probably be a clone superior to minecraft, possibly being in developed as we speak. but most clones are abandoned or aren't finished

The ability to read has disadvantages - you end up reading stuff like this.
04/23/2014 7:58 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
Maveriknight
a game like Minecraft isn't going to die. while the playerbase might shrink some, there's too much creative potential in it for it to die. Even if mojang stopped developing it, (which is unlikely, btw.) the playerbase would still be modding it and improving it for years to come.

Also, to the genius above me that said that no game lasts for more than ten years no matter what, I'd like to point out WoW, and a large number of other MMOs as well, just as multiplayer examples.

Also, sales for packman nearly zero? Stop pulling statistics out of your ass.
04/23/2014 7:59 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
Shadow_Anndroid
Maver speaks the truth. A sub for you, my good sir.
04/23/2014 7:55 pm
nolez15
Keep in mind, everyone, that Minecraft has only been around for five years, and purchase numbers have already seen a sharp decline.

Don't forget lots of people out there have quit Minecraft because it's en over-played, over-developed, whatever.

Minecraft is probably approaching the end of it's life and won't see another five years.
04/23/2014 7:58 pm
Shadow_Anndroid
PE and XBOX editions have started selling ALOT more than the PC edition. The computer version isn't the only.
04/23/2014 8:47 pm
nolez15
Consoles are on their way out, too, as tech progresses. If people stop playing it on PC, they probably won't play it on console.
04/23/2014 7:51 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
z3rx20
Thats stupid, a game CANNOT last for more then 10 years. no matter what it is.

There will probably be a clone superior to minecraft, possibly being in developed as we speak. but most clones are abandoned or aren't finished
04/23/2014 8:09 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Pixel Painter
John Buck
mario?
04/23/2014 7:55 pm
Shadow_Anndroid
Pokemon blue is still kind of popular, and it's more than 10 years old. Your argument is invalid.
Also pacman.
04/23/2014 7:57 pm
nolez15
Sales for Pacman are almost zero. His argument, and mine, are both extremely valid.

You've cited only one real example. Pokemon may still be around, but millions of other games have come and gone in that time.

Dead games far outweigh the number of games that still have steady sales after ten+ years.
04/23/2014 7:13 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Archer
Warlock315
The world already ended in 2012, so I'd consider that the end of Minecraft...
04/23/2014 7:28 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Really? 2012 was two years ago and you're still making jokes about it?
04/23/2014 7:37 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
eminemfan33
He's trying to make the joke that was hammered into the ground reach the core of the earth.
04/23/2014 1:07 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
JdawsomeI would love if minecraft removed this (ability to change your name” garbage

It hasn't been added yet.
Jdawsomebecause on my server many people have been bullied and “trolled” via this way.

It hasn't been added yet.
JdawsomeAlso now all my ban lists have been reset

No they haven't
Here, educate on the UUID: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/gam ... e-changes/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minecraft will keep going for a loooooooooong time. This is due to servers, YouTube, and the open world gameplay. Mainstream MineCraft will die out by 2024(10 years), but it will definitely still be played. There will be huge servers still going, and I expect a lot of people still playing Solo or with their brothers/friends.
04/23/2014 12:59 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Jdawsome
In my opinion, it might, Mojang has taken a hard swipe at the server game and provided their own inferior one. I dont have a clue what is next. I would love if minecraft removed this (ability to change your name” garbage because on my server many people have been bullied and “trolled” via this way. Also now all my ban lists have been reset and i am hoping that there is a special gift coming for server owners, because that is who is keeping minecraft popular.
04/23/2014 1:03 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Dinodaw
You cannot change your name currently.

Also, minecraft may lose its popularity, but I don't think it'll be shut down.
04/23/2014 7:53 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Thirdkyle
[size=150][b]He assigned Jeb to focus to Minecraft. Notch is focusing to other games -_-. LOGIC.[/size][/b]
04/23/2014 8:25 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
The point is that he still owns Mojang.
04/23/2014 7:50 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
feydk
You can't just throw out a random guess like "it will last at least 5 years from now" or "somewhere between 5 and 10 years".

Because it's actually quite simple: as long as developing Minecraft is a sound business for Mojang, they will continue doing it. It is by far their biggest cash cow and the very foundation of the entire company (which has grown to a decent size by now). When the turnover is no longer enough to support the company, they will have to either rethink the business model (the pay once, get all updates for free is good for us players, but not for them) or maybe sell out, but I doubt Notch would accept that as a viable outcome. Even though he doesn't actively work on Minecraft anymore, it's still his baby. I don't think he would even consider "giving away" his master piece to another company.

My best guess is that whenever they run into that wall, Mojang will try everything they can to keep it going. That could be anything; lay off staff and cut expenses in general, take on investors, have a global donation campaign and so on. Whenever the time comes when the game can't support the company any longer and they believe they have done everything they can to save it, they will make the game open source. There's no doubt about that. Open sourcing it is totally in the spirit of Notch and the company itself. So in that sense, Minecraft will never "die". But at some point Minecraft will no longer be the big thing it is today. Other games will come and steal away players. At least I hope so. As much as I love Minecraft, I trust that games will evolve even further in the future.

But when? That entirely depends on our willingness to buy new licenses.
04/23/2014 7:30 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Thirdkyle
I have feeling that it will die. Because: Ideas. I think Mojang will put suggestions forum
04/23/2014 7:27 am
Level 71 : Legendary Modder
Ri5ux
You honestly think Minecraft is going to die within 5 years? No.. it absolutely wont. Not even in 10 years. Even if Mojang stops developing it, another company will see the potential, take over, figure out their own way to make money with it, and it will continue living on. This is one of the only games like this. I highly doubt anything will be able to replace it for a few decades.
04/23/2014 6:49 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Spleefer
MrRedstoneGuy
How did you know this? Guards! Get him!
04/23/2014 5:40 am
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Programmer
MattsOnMc
i hope not
04/23/2014 5:39 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Hunter
lazypasta
GG50
SnowyKaida
GG50

You are no longer special.

am i special?!

No.

Am I Crazy?
04/23/2014 5:28 am
Lennie2306
I love how some conversations get off topic. I love the internet.
04/22/2014 11:20 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Question is not will (as far as I'm concerned, EVERYTHING we have today will die out sooner or later), but WHEN.

And that? I'd say probably in the next 5 years.
04/22/2014 11:01 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Necromancer
creeperinmyhouse
on a time line i would say that minecraft will die out sometime between today and worldwide human extinction but that's just a guess.
04/22/2014 11:14 pm
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
Eh, not close enough for OP's liking.
04/22/2014 10:56 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
SnowyKaida
GG50
Warlock315
It makes me feel special (:

am i special?!

No.
04/22/2014 10:29 pm
Level 23 : Expert Artist
SnowyKaida
GG50
Warlock315
Cheezbergur11

And not to be nosy but why are your posts always in bold?

am i special?!
04/22/2014 10:23 pm
GG50
Warlock315
Cheezbergur11

04/22/2014 10:07 pm
Warlock315
Cheezbergur11

04/22/2014 9:58 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
I think at one point Notch stated on Minecraft.net that when sales go down to an all-time low, that he would release the Minecraft source code. This would likely happen if they stooped updating too. I which case, the community could update the game.
04/22/2014 9:38 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Minecraft won't die for a long time. And even after a long time, they might just stop updating it, but keep the servers up and stuff. The Minecraft website said under "Game" and "What is Minecraft?" Notch had said that the game will keep updating and servers will stay up as long as there's a community keeping the game alive. And I don't know about you, but I think the Minecraft community is huge. Once Jeb took over, he changed the information given under "Game" and "What is Minecraft?" but I assume he has the same goals as Notch when it comes to this topic.
04/22/2014 9:28 pm
Warlock315
I wish Minecraft was left to Notch to code. I kind of miss the original Minecraft 1.2.5, before they started adding junk that nobody needs. *Cough new biomes*
04/23/2014 12:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
IgnoreMyPostsIwas10
See, this is what I hate.

People want horses for years, they add horses,
"JEEEBB GET NUTCH BACK PLS U R BAD AN U SHUD FEEL BAD I DUN LIKE HURSES"

No matter what you do somebody is going to complain.
04/22/2014 9:31 pm
GG50
Then downgrade; No one is forcing you to play the new updates :/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome