Will Minecraft soon become the greatest selling game ever?

AnimeFanFTW's Avatar AnimeFanFTW7/4/15 6:49 am
7/7/2015 9:48 pm
AnimeFanFTW's Avatar AnimeFanFTW
If you look at the list of best selling games of all time, Minecraft is ranked 3rd best selling, beaten only by Wii Sports (which kinda cheated), and Tetris.

So first, look at the list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ideo_games

Then answer this: Do you think Minecraft will become the best selling game of all time?

Personally, I think it can. Minecraft is as famous as ever, and there's no sign of slowing down.
AnimeFanFTW
Forum Moderator
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/07/2015 9:48 pm
AnimeFanFTW
Princess_CoronaI think Minecraft is here to stay for quite awhile. Or at least until Microsoft screws Mojang over like they did with Rare. :/

Ooooooooooh yeah.
Let's hope Minecraft doesn't go down the same path as Banjo Kazooie and Conkers.
07/07/2015 3:54 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Princess
Princess_Corona
I don't know about that. I will only see Minecraft going out when they eventually stop updating and adding new content. Games with DLC or updates with content are pretty high right now, ie: Super Smash Bros. 4, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, App Games, etc. But additionally not only has the game reached over 20,000,000 copies sold on PC alone, the recent Minecon in London became a Guinness World Record for largest attendance of a convention for a single video game with 10,000 tickets sold. I think Minecraft is here to stay for quite awhile. Or at least until Microsoft screws Mojang over like they did with Rare. :/
07/07/2015 2:06 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Ceir
nope i don't think so, cause soon minecraft will begin to die out within 5 or so years, sue to the fact all it takes is a bunch of youtubers to switch games and a bunch will follow.
07/07/2015 12:24 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
the adman2315
I think it will, especially since the hololens made it look amazing at E3 plus all the new things they are adding all the time, really opens it up for a wide variety of gamers
07/07/2015 11:41 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
OfficiallBlox
New people are buying the game everyday, so I don't see why not. There are endless things to do such as mods, servers, etc.
07/07/2015 11:12 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Considering the other games are no longer being sold as far as I know, while Minecraft will likely have the option to buy it long after it's lost popularity and died out (which I don't see happening for a while due to reasons stated earlier), I think it actually has a chance.
It'll probably take at least a few more years though. We'll have to wait and see.
07/07/2015 11:11 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
I think it will easily get to #2 slot, but with tetris holding #1, it might be pretty difficult to take that slot.
07/07/2015 11:07 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Minecraft will eventually die out. But it'll have a slow death because of YouTubers. Why was everyone hating on COD? Sure they are copies of the game that get released every year but it's still kinda fun. MW2 RepZ is still fun. I've also played Advanced Warfare when it was free... Ok I admit, Battlefield 4 is better.
07/07/2015 10:51 am
Level 1 : New Architect
Krylosindoxious
As long a Mojang AB / Microsoft doesn't do anything stupid, like Jagex of Runescape, such as changing the game ( and changing / or adding game rules ) so often that the game doesn't even feel like what it was when you played it in the first place. As long as that doesn't happen and the improvements and the add-ons work and nothing changes the way the game is played - Minecraft should last. Its a good thing that Minecraft is a sandbox game and not a MMORPG.
07/07/2015 10:50 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
How are minecraft sales dying? Last i checked they havent been going down, atleast not a year ago and i still see people buying it every day, so far 11k people have bought minecraft today

keep in mind the different platforms there are, i see many more kids with minecraft on their parents ipads more recently.
07/07/2015 11:04 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Is this graph showing cumulative sales? Because if it is that's totally useless. You need something showing the average sales each month from release.
07/07/2015 10:37 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
No. Minecraft sales are dying. GTA 5 was 6th last time I checked, and may even overtake Minecraft. Maybe.
07/07/2015 9:08 am
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
I think it could. As long as Scoot Cowthong sarcasm doesn't spam the 'realease another pointless game' button.
07/07/2015 7:46 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
connerspringer
As long as the game continues to receive updates and kids continue to have friends, with ease.
07/07/2015 7:41 am
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
TehDansorz
Probably in a few years, unless GTA6 comes out.
07/06/2015 8:58 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
creeperhoney
Yeah, with ease it'll just take time.
07/06/2015 8:38 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
deleteplz
The one reason why Tetris is #1 is due to the Gameboy. But even then, it is probably not including the Gameboy Tetris. Wii Sports ain't cheating however, as all console bundled games get one sold per console sold, plus special edition bundles that don't include the standard bundled game make it not cheating.

Plus, looking at the list, why no love for Linux?
07/07/2015 9:58 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
the game boy version sold 35 million which is a little back from minecraft. The top one has 100 milion installs. They come pre-installed with alot of phones. If we count all the phones get shipped with pre installed tetris...
07/06/2015 8:07 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
kilokreeper
Probably not. COD kids will be a thing forever.
07/07/2015 9:00 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Maybe if you actually played COD instead of watching videos that have little kids, you'd know that the vast majority of the community is adults.

And no, I don't think so. All games die out. Minecraft has been out for quite some time now, and it might hit the point where people just stop playing and get bored, making the sales of the game decrease. This will be a while though, because of YouTubers and that sort of thing, but I don't think it will get that close to the top again.
07/06/2015 9:00 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragonborn
iedfisjifjwseizjfuse
Are you sure they're not kid squids? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
07/07/2015 7:17 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
kilokreeper
But if they are they need to come on and splatatatatata
07/06/2015 8:11 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
why does everyone hate call of duty? sure the communities bad but there's a mute button for a reason.
07/06/2015 8:36 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
I don't like CoD but I may be biased considering I am absolutely terrible at that game... And I mean really, really bad.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked again, I think it is very possible that Minecraft could do it. You never know what will happen to public interest.
07/06/2015 8:29 pm
AnimeFanFTW
The amount of truth in that sentence is staggering.
07/05/2015 2:12 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
People buy Tetris?
07/05/2015 5:59 am
AnimeFanFTW
Yeah, Tetris is sorta fun.
07/05/2015 3:00 am
Level 1 : New Miner
campbell0505
I like Tetris But i like minecraft Way MORE! Like Way More!
07/05/2015 1:29 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Taco
Coltron9000
I personally don't trust any info from Wikipedia. I think Minecraft could potentially be #1 best selling at some point though.
07/07/2015 1:23 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dolphin
Patchpen
You don't have to. There's a list of sources at the bottom of most wikipedia pages.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome