Worst Phone Call Scam?

Lucy_the_Cow's Avatar Lucy_the_Cow10/22/14 7:10 am
1 emeralds 10.7k 71
11/8/2014 10:46 pm
Lucy_the_Cow's Avatar Lucy_the_Cow
Hey!
My parents recently got a phone call from an Unknown Number, claiming that it was an emergency call and that we should press 1 to save "Lillian"?? It was really weird, and they left a message on the phone which was really fuzzy.

The next night (last night) my parents got ANOTHER call from an Unknown Number which was an automated voice, a failing call. When Mum hung up, she found that Google Play had been opened and Google Streetview was being downloaded. o3o

What are your worse phone scam experiences and how did you deal with them?
(I still like the ones when they ring up talking about your phone/laptop, and you tell them that you don't have one. lol)
Lucy_the_Cow
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/03/2014 10:40 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Princess
Faxwy
One time some guy called, I don't remember what is was for, though. So I pretended to be a 10 year old.

Surprisingly, he was very nice and didn't have an accent.

Guy: "Hello?"
Me: "uhh hii my mommy told me not to talk to strangers"
Guy: "Oh, haha. How old are you?"
Me: "I am.. uh. 10 years old"
Guy: "Hehe ^^ what grade are you in?"
Me: "Uhhhhh.... 4th grade"
Guy "Oh is y-" Hung up the phone.
Was totally random and I could barely control laughing although it doesn't seem funny, it was.
11/08/2014 10:46 pm
Lucy_the_Cow
YES!! This is amazing! xD <3
11/03/2014 8:19 am
Level 32 : Artisan Explorer
Del_boy211
Tips for credit card scammers:

Hello, my name is [insert_awful_fake_name_here] and something messed up on your credit card, can you give us the ID so we can fix it?

You: Sure, it's 1337 420 360

---

Hi (blablabla) credit card (blabla) PayPal (poop) and I need your PayPal info so we can find out what's wrong.

You: I don't own PayPal, I use Halifax *hangs up*
10/27/2014 10:21 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
i plan to one day call a number at random and play number stations..
10/27/2014 10:12 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
AshuriRed
I once received a call of someone claiming to be my brother, asking for money because he had an accident of something. My brother was right next to me, we were laughing at the whole thing.
10/27/2014 6:47 am
Lucy_the_Cow
It would be an interesting job, being a telemarketer. o3o
I wonder how they advertise it...
"Ever wanted a job where you can troll people?
Well, this is for you!
Telemarketing positions are now open!
Join today!"
10/26/2014 4:50 am
Level 49 : Master Batman
Casamify
probably the ''Microsoft Employees'' i like it when they call as they are pretty stupid
10/26/2014 4:28 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
I love going along with them and when they try to get you to send your credit card details, or download a virus, I just tell them there was an error popup saying, 'Idiot scammer detected' and they get furious.
10/26/2014 2:50 am
Level 43 : Master Spider Rider
SpiderMatty
Guy: Press one to hear this message
Me: Dude you are a human.
Guy: Press one to hear this message
Me: I know your address, derek
Guy in backround: HANG UP!!!!!!
Guy: YEAAAAAA
Me: What?
Guy: Pre.... *beeps*

lol I scared him that was his real name lol
10/26/2014 4:07 am
Lucy_the_Cow
Oh my, this is perfect. xD
Reading these posts is entertaining, keep 'em coming.
Great to see people getting 'revenge' on these time-wasters.
10/26/2014 12:18 am
Level 34 : Artisan Unicorn
TheOcelotSpawner
Well this happened but I removed some stuff
Advertiser: Hello you won 1,000,000 dollars
(to named): Okay send it to me
Advertiser : what
(To named): well if you know my phone number you should know my address so send it to me
*no sound*
The advertiser hung up and never called again
10/26/2014 12:27 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
OfficiallBlox
LOL short & simple. i like.
10/26/2014 12:07 am
Level 42 : Master Droid
GigabyteGiant
You know, the typical "there's a problem with your computer". It happened yesterday
Below is how the conversation went.

Anonymous Caller: Hello.
Me: Hello, may I ask whom is calling?
Anonymous Caller: Yes, umm, this is Bobby, and I'm calling about your Windows XP computer.
(Nobody in my house owns a computer with WinXP, but I decided to play along)
Me: Yes, what about it?
Anonymous Caller: We've been receiving alert messages from your computer saying something is wrong, and we need to fix it, because it's messing up our systems.
Me: Ok, may I inquire what organization you're from?
Anonymous Caller: We're a private organization. *laughter in background*
Me: Ok, what do I need to do?
Anonymous Caller: Ok, the first thing you need to do is disable any virus software you have installed.
Me: Ok, done. (joke's on him, I obviously wouldn't do that)
Anonymous Caller: Now if you would like to navigate to *link removed for safety reasons*...
Me: Yes, ok, but can you give me just a minute?
Anonymous Caller: For what? *caller huffs* (and puffs and blows his house down)
Me: I just need to let you know, I'm not an idiot, I know what you're trying to do. Maybe you should think twice about making a call like this, in the event that you might be calling some folks who know something about computers.
Anonymous Caller: *silence*
Me: Goodbye.

So yeah, as you may (or may not) have seen, I get quite angry when somebody tries to trick me into doing something stupid on a computer.
10/25/2014 11:47 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
"Please press one to speak with a customer."

One time I got a phone call from China. The lady on the other end was in a very crowded place and would only say "Hi?" After a few calls like that I had used like 50 minutes on my phone. Boy am I glad my new phone has unlimited minutes.
10/25/2014 11:46 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Some foreign people (don't want to sound racist, but they were not American/English/Naturally English-speaking), have been calling me every few days saying, and I quote,
"We are from Microsoft, and your Windows Computer has a virus. We need you to download a program for free which will fix your Mac."

I underlined the parts that made me seriously question the legitimacy of this, even though I knew it was a scam from the start. xD

(But seriously, he did say that the program would fix my Mac. I am not even joking. Literally 5 seconds prior to that he said that my "Windows computer" has a virus. WINDOWS DOESN'T EVEN MAKE COMPUTERS XD)

Anyway, this was going on for a few days, and every time I would ask who they were, they would hang up. One day, I was tired of them calling, so I pretended to comply. I just kept leading him on and on, saying stuff like "it's not working", "the page is 404-ing", and other stuff like that. In the end, after he called me stupid, I told him that I knew what he was doing, and that I use Ubuntu, and not windows. He probably thought that Ubuntu was some sort of scary demon thing, because he obviously didn't know the slightest thing about computers, and he hasn't called back since.

I feel proud of the way I wasted his time. xD
10/25/2014 10:39 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
RoseOfShi
People keep voice mailing my cellphone saying hey you won free crap or you have a free download from blank waiting for you head to some link to claim your reward. From an unknown number... yeah.
10/25/2014 10:30 pm
Level 23 : Expert Spleefer
Lubzy
Once, my dad got a call from these Asian dudes that said he had a "infection" (really?) on his computer, so they tried to get him to do some random poop and spoil all the information to the guys, and he plays along with it.

How stupid do these phonies think we are?
Well, actually, society is pretty stupid these days, so I do think they deserve a gold star.
10/25/2014 10:26 pm
Level 24 : Expert Geek
Roshaa
There were these "Microsoft" employees with a thick Indian accent. Unfortunately, my grandparents weren't aware of the scam and willingly gave them their IP. Long story short we had to buy a new computer.
10/25/2014 10:19 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
there was once some indian person who called me at 1:30 in the morning. The number had been calling me all day, so i decided to pick it up. I was also ticked bcause it woke up everyone at my sleepover. I picked up, they said something i couldn't understand (it was a thick accent) and i shouted into the phone I DONT CARE! IT IS 1 IN THE MORNING AND U JUST WOKE UP ME AND MY FRIENDS! I CANT EVEN UNDERSTAND U! I swore i heard a "**** u" before i hung up...
Also, my dad told me a funny story about him pranking a jerk who had called him
so he was trying to call a radio station, but misdialed the number. It took him to another person, and he hung up as soon as he picked up. The guy called back and he said "Is this (my dad's name)?" (he obviously had caller id) my dad responded with a yes, and the guy said "you are a jerk" then hung up. Later that day, my dad went to a pay phone (obviously this was a long time ago) and called that guy back. His wife picked up, and since my dad is in marketing, he used his "marketing vioce" to tell the woman to please give the phone to her husband. She did, and when he came on the line, my dad said "REMEMBER ME?? ****U*****U********AND******!!" then hung up.
Not really scams, but they are still funny!
10/25/2014 5:57 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
ThisIsBurrFTW
One time my dad got a call from someone claiming he had won a free luxury cruise to the bahamas. My dad played along for about 2 hours, and in the 2 hours he kept repeatedly asking if he could bring our horse (Oreo) on the cruise with him whenever the guy asked who my dad wanted to bring with him. When he was denied allowance of a horse-y passanger he kept asking "Why can't i?" and the poor guy couldn't express why so finally the guy just made a really flustered grunt and hung up.

I don't think I've ever seen my parents laugh so hard in my entire life.
10/25/2014 5:45 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I wish a "Microsoft Employee" would call me and tell me I have a virus. I would have so much fun. lol

This isn't really a scam, but I keep getting called by telemarketers that only speak Spanish. I want them to stop calling me, but I don't speak Spanish, I don't want to change my number, and my provider charges more per months for blocked numbers.
10/26/2014 4:29 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
Just yell at them in Italian or something. I yell at telemarketers telling them they will get nowhere in life unless they find a new job.
10/25/2014 5:59 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
Set up a virtual machine and let them go ham.
They'll feel good that they think they did something productive, and you'll feel good for wasting their time. Win-win!

ThisIsBurrFTWOne time my dad got a call from someone claiming he had won a free luxury cruise to the bahamas. My dad played along for about 2 hours, and in the 2 hours he kept repeatedly asking if he could bring our horse (Oreo) on the cruise with him whenever the guy asked who my dad wanted to bring with him. When he was denied allowance of a horse-y passanger he kept asking "Why can't i?" and the poor guy couldn't express why so finally the guy just made a really flustered grunt and hung up.

I don't think I've ever seen my parents laugh so hard in my entire life.

I love your dad.

I never had any phone call scams, but I do get the annoying telemarketer calls.
If they ever call my cell phone... they better wish they don't run into me...
10/25/2014 5:41 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Scribe
Akeustlom
When I accidentally tapped a wrong number and hung up instantly.
10/25/2014 5:36 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
BossJordan_g
One time at my birthday party my friends and I made prank phone calls.
We called Papa John's and asked directions to Pizza Hut.
We called Burger King and asked for Kung Pao chicken and rice.
We called this girl and said she needed to register for wait watchers.
Awesome. Sorry for everyone who got phone scammed, probably us haha!
10/25/2014 5:31 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
Cheezbergur11
Right before dinner one night (I was just about to sit down), my phone went off.

I answered and said "Hello?", and what I heard on the other end was something like:

"Hello. Did you know that every 30 seconds, a house gets robbed?" and it was obviously an automated voice, I just hung up right then.

Idk why, but we always get calls from random strangers though. Nothing else really though.
10/24/2014 12:13 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
Jamie3213
I laugh when a phone call comes, I just give to my mum, continue playing Minecraft. Then I hear her in the next room "U CALLED ME NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND AND U WANT MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS!!! I QM NOT GOING THROUGH WITH THESE SURVEYS SO PUT ON YOUR STUPID INTERNET NOTES THAT I DONT WANT TO TALK TO U!!!

I continue laughing with my sister in the next room lol
10/23/2014 2:57 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
For a while I was getting stupid phones call trying to scam me from strange numbers. A couple of days later an phone call came through from a place I was trying to get a part time job at. My brother picked up the phone and thought it was one of the scams.

He shouted down the phone "What the hell is wrong with you people, don't ever call back". Needless to say, I did not get the job.
10/23/2014 2:26 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Dragon
Skitto493
Someone texted me, saying they saw me on Skype...

I didn't have Skype at that time... LOL
10/23/2014 1:38 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1494372
[deleted]
10/24/2014 12:21 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
hello sir would you like to
PI PIKACHU
10/25/2014 4:13 pm
anonpmc1494372
[deleted]
10/23/2014 2:24 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Lad
rotarydial
Oh, I am so trying these 030
10/23/2014 1:33 pm
anonpmc1494372
[deleted]
10/23/2014 12:18 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pony
TheDiam0ndCreeper
My dad is the worst when it comes to these. He picks it up and they're like
"hullo sir we neeeed to fix your compooter(Thick indian accent)"
then mi dad is like
"Please take me off your caller list" then hangs up
10/23/2014 12:33 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
Best thing to do if you just want them to go away. If they continue calling after you say this, the company will be in big trouble, and I think they'll have to pay you quite a bit of money...
10/23/2014 12:02 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
10/23/2014 11:55 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
I really wish one of these "Windows virus support" guys would call me :/
10/23/2014 10:46 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
once someone with an indian accent called and told me, in english (slightly suspicious?), that they would fix my computer and that they were from microsoft. would've been a really stupid scam, but coincidently, my computer had broken a few days ago, and i thought my dad had called customer service or something. i realized they were scamming me, though, once they asked me to install some software so they could control my computer wirelessly and fix it... xD
10/23/2014 7:11 am
Lucy_the_Cow
I love the idea of trolling them!
I still want to convince them while on the phone to them that I do not own a phone.

I almost did troll them once, but Mum wouldn't let me put them on speaker and play "Star Trekkin" to the guy. :C Much sadness.
10/22/2014 2:51 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
ZonkedCompanionSolution to unsolicited calls:

Answer all "unknown" phone calls with a 130db rape alarm.

OR

Answer all "unknown" phone calls with the sentence - "...its done but there's blood everywhere..." then hang up.

Do this, ALWAYS. I never get these calls. But if i do. Ima do one of these.
10/22/2014 2:50 pm
Level 21 : Expert Artist
Enygma
Haha the best thing to do when you get phone scam calls is put a baby on the phone and watch as the scammer says "Is your mother there?" and the baby keeps on babbling until the scammer hangs up
10/22/2014 2:42 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Antlo
Hmm, I don't know if this was a scam because nothing bad really happened, that I know of. O.o

Anyways, I got a call a few days ago, from a random number. I answered it, and when I said "Hello", the automated thing immediately said "Goodbye" and it hung up. I thought it was pretty funny but then It started to creep me out, xD.
10/22/2014 2:14 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
3dsgeek333
This never happened on the phone, but I had this one company (they were actually a legit company) harass me for months at the beginning of this year. They kept banging on the door and ringing the doorbell like they were the police, sometimes even screaming "HELLO? WE KNOW YOU'RE THERE!". I looked out the window upstairs once and could see them going down the street with their truck, door to door, doing the exact same thing. Once they drove around the neighborhood, honking their horn like crazy every time they passed a house. I decided to look this company up online (I won't give out its name) and it turns out they're infamous for overpriced electronics and horrible customer service. However, this bunch of employees that kept harassing the neighborhood were going the extra mile. I guess someone reported them to the neighborhood because they didn't come back for a while. However, one day in March it all started again. This time they sounded even angrier, probably because they knew somebody tried to report them. Finally, I cracked and decided to go to their store after hours. I left a letter for the manager reporting these employees, hoping this would make them worried that they would lose their jobs for real this time. Though I never got a reply, it seemed to have worked, as they haven't been seen since. I assume they've been fired
10/22/2014 1:46 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Nerd
Lancet13
I got a call from a strange number once. He stated that he was a Microsoft employee, and that I had a computer issue of some kind.

He wanted to guide me step by step on what to do, however I wasn't going to follow any instructions until he answered a few of my questions.

I kept asking him "will this require Administrator Privelages (User Account Control)", however every time I asked him that, he reassured me that he was a microsoft employee. I simply kept asking him until he gave me a yes or no.

He eventually gave up and told me "Have a good day sir" in a somewhat angry tone, and hung up.

As the computer administrator of my household, I know what I am doing, and I know when I, or anyone else in my household, gets a virus.
10/22/2014 1:45 pm
Level 42 : Master Fox
-Mage-
Some teenager kept texting my dad thinking he was someone else. O3O
Then my dad sent a picture of us to her, and she stopped messaging him.
10/22/2014 1:44 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
Sterouids
I once got a letter in the mail from "The FBI" claiming that someone had downloaded a pirated movie on our WiFi connection. The only thing was we didnt have internet at the time. The address that we were supposed to return our payment was somewhere in Indiana.. No where near the FBI HQ
10/22/2014 1:33 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
Floppypancake31
Me: Hello?

Guy on the other end: Hello, can I speak to [My mums name]?

Me: Nah, there's nobody at home right now, we're at a fancy restaurant.

Guy: Okay. Thank you.

No kidding.
10/22/2014 1:23 pm
Level 20 : Expert Cake
Vocashiny
I have a system for dealing with this. I actually look forward to some sales calls :3
Last time I got one I was on my computer. They said some stuff about PPI, so I put the phone next to my speaker and played the troll song full blast
I also got a phone call once where they claimed I'd won a free iPhone and I should give them my email to receive it. I told them I was PERFECTLY fine with my Nokia 100
10/22/2014 12:54 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Roleplay_Universe
I was once sat on the sofa with my family and we were watching TV, then suddenly the phone rang. My mum picked it up and answered. It was another Indian person ringing about our windows. My mum replied with a pretend sneeze. We then hung up.
Sorry, that was so boring xD.

Yeah in the UK we get 0800 calls which are just people trying to sell you rubbish. I personally hate them, but from now on when I get one I'm definitely gonna prank call.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome