Is it worth it to donate on minecraft servers?

enderbauwens's Avatar enderbauwens1/19/14 3:31 pm
1 emeralds 6.3k 131
2/15/2015 9:08 pm
enderbauwens's Avatar enderbauwens
Is it worth it to give money to something you can't feel, or physically touch? I would like to hear people's opinions on this topic.
enderbauwens
Level 10 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/15/2015 5:23 am
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
GamingAleks
Yes, if a server that I like can't pay their servers anymore I would donate.
02/15/2015 4:52 am
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
Amsarian
With MC servers now all you really get is a coloured name and the ability to fly. There isn't a point to "support" a server anymore because of the EULA.

If an owner doesn't use all of that money to run the server or improve it, and instead keeps the money for their self, then they've breached the EULA. Same goes for perks that the player can get by paying money.

Honestly, the only servers I would even just consider donating to are the big ones, like The Walls or something. It sounds harsh, but there are way too many servers that copy Hunger Games or are generic survival servers. A far more enjoyable way to play would be a LAN world with some friends, so you can yell at them IRL when they kill you.

Money would be better spent on something for you. From what I've seen, many servers are just playing you to get some money for the owner and it's too tedious to find out which servers will use that money and which servers will not.

If you want to donate, then yeah, but I'd rather go with someone I knew and trusted.

Tl;dr: Treat yo self or the servers if you wanted to.
02/15/2015 3:56 am
Level 29 : Expert Taco
-Stuffy-
I would before the EULA but now I just don't see the point
02/15/2015 3:14 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
freshwest
I think that if the server pays for a host, good to drop a few dollars.
300$ way to much. but enough so the server stays up. this coming
from a owner for 3 years. you wouldn't believe how many dedicated
players have helped me out. But servers that limit a lot of stuff unless
you donate don't fly with me. MineCraft isn't meant to be a money grabber.
No FUN in That

~fresh
02/15/2015 9:08 pm
enderbauwens
Agreed
02/15/2015 2:03 am
Level 1 : New Network
BuddahBalls
Donations help keep servers running. I always do my homework first, most servers I play on I know the Owners personally or have worked with them in the past. I also tend to play on servers who's owners are a bit older. Offtopic - but if anyone is interested in a skyblock server with older owners & cheap donor ranks check out ours at: Aznislands.mcpro.co. Thanks
02/14/2015 4:35 pm
enderbauwens
This is sooo old XD I forgot i made this topic
02/13/2015 8:27 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I really think it's up to yourself if you want to pay or not.

The owner of the server is of course the so called 'Master' of your money when you click that "Pay" button.
The only problem is that you never know what the owner is going to spent the money on. Usually (from what I've learned) only about 10-25% of the money you pay goes to keeping the server.

The rest?
Better gaming stuff, new mouse pads, Ipad, Iphone, Huge screens, weird stuff from Amazon, and none of which helps you, or the server.
02/13/2015 7:01 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Princess
EmilyCH
it is and isn't worth it at the same time. it is great to help the owner, and get those special perks and sometimes "power" but at the same time the server may/probably will one day close and your money is wasted. but you do get something so idk
02/13/2015 5:00 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Prince
siamand5
Please... Donate if you feel to... EULA is now here so why not? You only get stuff that you alredy have or are useless... What's the point?
02/05/2014 9:42 pm
enderbauwens
Okay
02/05/2014 9:32 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Pokemon
SailorsMoon
I own my own server here.

Lots of people donate to it, but would I? Personally, no. I would much rather spend my money on Team Fortress 2 and Steam Cash
02/05/2014 9:06 pm
enderbauwens
Tanks for the reviews keep 'em coming!
02/05/2014 10:39 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
It's really worth it.
02/04/2014 11:00 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
ImMrLink
You make a valid point, but you're the owner, you're the one ultimately in charge of the server. And this is the point, you just helped prove it. 65$ a month for a server? If you have to pay 50$ a month just for a server, imagined if you stopped. All those people over that year lost their money...[/quote]

The thing is i pay for it 98% of the time and when some one donates the money goes right to the hostters paypal for the server or to a programmer to update or make a plugin for the server. out of the 4ish years of having a server i have made $37. So.. and the the donations i take is $5 to $10 i wont take any more than that.
02/04/2014 10:12 pm
enderbauwens
Thanks for the review!
02/04/2014 10:09 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Pokemon
SailorsMoon
If you have the money it is. But if you can barely rang up change to afford it then I'd say no. I myself own a server and I wouldn't donate to it as I would like to play Pixelmon legit.
02/04/2014 10:06 pm
enderbauwens
Keep it up!
02/02/2014 10:21 pm
enderbauwens
Keep up the good posts!
02/01/2014 4:57 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
DigiPigg
Like most people here, I think it depends on if you like the server's community and think that it deserves the support your giving it (via money). If you feel that a server you thoroughly enjoy needs funds, then do it, even if it's only a few dollars (it shows you really like the server). Anyway, do it if you want... it's your money.

But hey, I personally haven't donated to any servers... but maybe that's just 'cos I'm cheap .

Digi out
02/01/2014 4:57 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
[]Levi08[]
I think it should be free to set up a server if you have premium, If this was so no-one would need real money donations.
02/01/2014 4:54 am
Level 1 : New Miner
FreezingPotato
Donation to a server like super craft brothers on the minecade network is worth donating too but a newby server with 5-20 slots that you get /fly and /god isn't really because it ruins the fun.

I've donated to lots of minigame servers because
1. I know they won't shut down next week
2. It's even MORE fun because you get more perks for donating
02/01/2014 4:26 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
Caelteria
To argue with the opinion that small 5-20 slot servers don't really need donations..

Our server is on a $30 a month plan, and our site costs roughly $10 a month. That's not a big deal really with all of our staff being readily available to back it up financially, but since we're running almost 80 mods on the server with a custom modpack we need a lot of ram and storage to keep it running smoothly.

Donations generally go to making upgrades (if we need more storage, ram or player slots), or to opening up a new server that we can link to our main server to create new content. In this case we're opening up a flatgrass freebuild server that's linked to our main server. It's a bit more cost effective. We couldn't do this if we didn't have donations to back it up.

Donations also make a statement that the players are enjoying the server enough to feel that they will support you even financially if it were ever needed. For me it encourages me to give new things to the players that they will enjoy in the long run.

It's not to say people should always donate, they just need to find the right place to donate to if they're enjoying the server enough. Your money is definitely valuable, so treat it that way and research a bit on the server to find out if it's actually worth putting money into.
01/31/2014 10:40 pm
enderbauwens
Thanks, keep the opinions coming!
01/30/2014 11:05 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Theairyn
There's multiple cases to this though, it's not a "no, servers don't need IRL money", or anything that simple, there's lots of different variables. One of the common reasons people open a minecraft server, is to earn money. I understand that, it's hard to get a job, however, a server that's made to make money should not get donations. Then, there's the pay to win servers. There are quite a few, you pay say... 15$, you get a stack of bedrock. That's not a server that you should donate to. However, there are servers, which rely heavily on donations. Take into account, Hypixel's server, and the Hive. Both run 500+ servers each, 24/7, and have dedicated staff and developers. Imaging the money required to run such a server? It's in the tens of thousands, maybe hundreds. Those are the servers you want to donate to. Not the ones who crave money, but those who ccan't run without it.
01/30/2014 10:21 pm
enderbauwens
THanks for the opionions keep 'em coming!
01/30/2014 10:16 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Architect
Schwerpunkt_
enderbauwensIs it worth it to give money to something you can't feel, or physically touch?

You cant feel minecraft. Or any other video-game or program out there... You also can't feel television stations
01/30/2014 10:12 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Narwhal
XxCharliexX
To me, donating is not worth it. Why? The server will eventually go away and wasting money on it isn't worth it. Donating can be okay, to know that you are helping someone and and spare a little money to help. The overpowered ranks however, is too much. It kills the fun of it. Some servers can charge $100 to fly. What is the point? The server is going to shut down and you threw away your money. Horrible, waste, not worth it. If you feel good about the server, thinking it won't shut down for a long time and it's fun and great, stay donate a little and enjoy it. It actually depends on the server's worth. Is it a quality one or is it a bag of poop. My opinion at least.
01/29/2014 11:55 am
Level 1 : New Miner
RizzoGaming
Before donating to a server I would make sure it seems legit as in it will stay up for a while (servers dont stay up for ever) I would make sure they seemed professional.. And I would play the server a while before donating to see how it looks!
01/29/2014 11:50 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
relworPstar
Its the same thing as buying anything else.

I could buy yogurt for $0.99 or $1.99, or make it myself much cheaper. If you dont like yogurt you wont buy it. The yogurt will eventually be gone anyway or it will go bad...

SO only YOU can decide whether it is worth the money. If you cant afford socks, I would say no dont donate...
01/29/2014 11:41 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
22Hz
Honestly, If you have a heart and want to do something nice. Go on a random server with a only a few people on it and donate there with nothing in return. That's the only time I would ever donate.
01/29/2014 11:43 am
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
That's one way to do it. lol
01/29/2014 10:44 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
I'd like to add a thing to my post earlier about donating.

Servers should NOT be pay to win. I see it too many times where you have to donate if you want to get anywhere in the game. Donations should be balanced. If a server is like this, I don't suggest you donate.

The servers I suggest you donate on are the ones where you see the owner a lot, and they take a general interest in and listen to the community. A owner that adds things no one wants and is ignorant wouldn't be trusted with my time and money.
01/29/2014 8:12 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
InvisibleFlame
I think that if you need to ask whether you should donate....you should not donate. You probably feel pressured to donate and that's why you're asking. Am I right?

I don't own a server but here's my 2 cents. I see donations like tips. I'd tip a server if there was no server out there like it and it was valuable to me.

I think it's fine for a server to make profit....Earning money is cool and creating another stream of income is even more cool....they should earn it right though. By being awesome....and just accepting donations as they come without expectations.
01/29/2014 7:06 am
Level 29 : Expert Pirate
mishrathium
If it is a server that has been online for a long time, does not selling completely over powered options, donates back to the MC community and the forums are not filled with idiots - absolutely!

Running quality minecraft servers takes tons of time, talent and yes money.

But just downloading minecraft and running it on your local pc with a website on weebly (or anything hamachi) good lord never donate to those lol
01/29/2014 6:02 am
Level 27 : Expert Farmer
Teethdude
I would say no.
The server i run i Highly discourage donating.
I don't need anyones help to keep it running
01/29/2014 5:03 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Button Pusher
SpeedUHC
I wouldn't recommend donating if you are like me and don't have the money. But if you do I highly recommend it. If you complain that you donate then a server goes down the only reason it went down is it ran out of $.
I had a server myself. There are some pretty epic servers that only go down because they loose money. Do you know how much servers cost? Like 20 dolars for 50 people on at once or 10 dolars for 15. Its quite a bit. And btw server owners im not paying for slots on my server (that's a waste of money) Im paying for ram and memory. EXPENSIVE
01/29/2014 6:05 am
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Maddie
For anyone that has an actual job and doesn't need to keep a roof over their head (which should be priority, mind you), $10 - 15 a month isn't much at all. Donating, although thoughtful, is absolutely unnecessary when it comes to keeping a server up unless the owner is too young for a job or doesn't have a steady income of cash through any other ways he might obtain it (I'm assuming allowance or commissions).
01/29/2014 4:55 am
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Maddie
I don't really think donating to a server is worth it. It's an item you can't really touch, and only benefits you in that one server, which may or may not go down. At least donating to sites and games give you benefits as long as the sites are up, such as deviantART or Maplestory. Places like these have a guarantee of being up for at least a year or two and give you multiple benefits that can be long-lasting.

Minecraft servers are almost always temporary and last no longer than a year.
01/28/2014 7:53 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal
Wyatt3
I use it to keep the server up, and higher devs all my members know that as well and my system is setup to make users buy more at one time so that we don't have to bribe or advertise.
(we may bribe but all our members are dedicated)
01/28/2014 7:46 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
pandahderp
I would never donate to a server that had a bad owner, I would only donate to a server with a kind, helpful owner that I like and some nice staff. Donations are used to keep a server up and running, and the perks are just a bribe so people would want to donate.
01/28/2014 7:43 pm
Level 49 : Master Modder
minecraftjames222
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooope. Most of the time they let you think "it's for upkeep". Most of the time, the small 5-20 slots servers cost about 5$ a month which isn't much in my opinion. For biggers servers, then I guess it's ok. Donating should'nt be for profit in my opinion. Like charity, they never use donated money to put it in their pockets... or do they?
01/29/2014 6:49 am
Level 37 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
I ran a server that had 35 slots for a while, it put a 17 dollar dent in my wallet every month. Servers aren't as cheap as you'd imagine, and if it's a decent host such as Beastnode or MCProhosting, they're gonna be expensive as heck.

Over the total of like... 6 months I ran my server, I think I got a total of three donators, and a total of $45-ish, (Can't exactly remember what they bought) if you can get a lot of donators, power to you, but when it comes down to it, 95% of servers don't get enough revenue to pay for themselves. I ended up spending a couple hundred dollars running my server, but in the end it was an amazing learning experience, and a period of my life I'm not likely to forget.
01/28/2014 7:47 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
20 player slots is usually around 12 dollars. Though for servers with 3-32GB Need donations
01/28/2014 7:22 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
TheSioux7065
No it's not worth it unless its a server hosted by a trusted owner for example Hypixel [Cracked servers differ]
01/28/2014 12:59 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
As a server owner myself, I think so because it helps keep the server alive and running. If you've been playing on it 2 minutes, obviously don't donate. If you love it and want more, donate!

01/28/2014 12:18 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Skinner
-crone_pure66-
my friend donated and not a week later the server went down, then he told me "$20 wasted!" so yeah I don't think it's worth it to spend money on servers like that.
01/28/2014 11:55 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
GreenTitanLP
tenten8401
GreenTitanLPIf we get extra, we spend them on custom plugins/upgrades to the server.

I just learn coding from youtube. I dont have enough money to spend on devs anyway. lol

I know how to code Python and PHP and a little bit of Java, but I've always had trouble learning Java. I pay maybe $5-$15 for plugins from a company that is now privately signed with a big network but they still do plugins for past clients.
01/28/2014 11:39 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
dhasssell
Depends on what u donate on dont donate to Much Incase Server shuts down play for a few months then donate
01/28/2014 11:36 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Cake
tenten8401
GreenTitanLPIf we get extra, we spend them on custom plugins/upgrades to the server.

I just learn coding from youtube. I dont have enough money to spend on devs anyway. lol
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome