Yet Another Internet Censorship Problem

Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad5/21/15 4:59 pm
1 emeralds 2.4k 81
5/26/2015 12:17 am
RoboShadow's Avatar RoboShadow

We have yet another Internet Censorship issue on our hands, this time it's not only going to affect America, it'll affect plenty of other countries as well. It's also not just internet, it's a way to ban guns, and also censor free speech. This has to be stopped.
(Europe has a TTIP act going on, which is almost exactly the same as TTP)

Example: With this act, if you watch a copyrighted clip on youtube, they could take your computer and arrest you, before looking into it. Will they do it? I'm not sure, but it gives them the power to do so.

Edit: This was just posted on reddit

TPP Talk Reddit ThreadTPP HAS PASSED TO THE HOUSE
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00180
Heads Up! Obama Puts A Gag On Any Talk About the TPP, Contains UN Gun Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bUeIgeadwY
Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - IP Chapter
https://wikileaks.org/tpp/
Second release of secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement documents
https://wikileaks.org/Second-release-of ... Trans.html
Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Environment Consolidated Text
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-enviro/
Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Environment Chairs Report
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-enviro-chairsreport/
Updated Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - IP Chapter (second publication)
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-ip2/

What you can do to help:
Tweet Congress:
https://act.eff.org/action/tell-congres ... or-the-tpp
American Anons GO HERE:
https://www.battleforthenet.com/interne ... Q9OTczMw==
Killertoad
Level 22 : Expert Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/24/2015 11:47 am
Killertoad
Kirito Swordsman
Knight
Kirito Swordsman
No. In order to get a warrant, you must have Probable Cause. A judge would never approve something just because someone "Probably downloaded "The LEGO Movie" Illegally."

You misunderstand. I know very well that Probable Cause is needed to acquire a warrant, but when you have a picture of a man who robbed a shop, and you see him walk into a house, you're within the law to walk right into that house after him. TPP would allow the government to see your download history through the provider of your Internet (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, etc.).

Yes, if you know they did it. If it's like "Bob Jomes Probably downloaded "The LEGO Movie" Illegally." They have no Probable cause. Just a whim. The Local Police would NOT be able to tell this. The Feds? Maybe, but what would they care? Bob the Cop from Kallamazoo? No. He doesn't have the resources to know. If the Patriot Act is not re passed, then the companies will have no right to do this.

The ISP's will tell the government that the said person is downloading illegal movies, and that is probable cause.
05/24/2015 1:47 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
Hooray for power-hungry governments!

Speaking of power-hungry governments, shoutout to the Australian Government. xD
05/24/2015 1:24 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Princess
Faxwy
It's not the companies I am worrying about. I mean, cmon. Was Edward Snowden not enough? The only thing free in this country is the government.
05/24/2015 1:29 am
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
America: Land of the Free. But only if you're a Rich white old guy that's straight

And yes, I am American.
05/24/2015 1:12 am
The Silver Paladin
Knight
Kirito Swordsman
No. In order to get a warrant, you must have Probable Cause. A judge would never approve something just because someone "Probably downloaded "The LEGO Movie" Illegally."

You misunderstand. I know very well that Probable Cause is needed to acquire a warrant, but when you have a picture of a man who robbed a shop, and you see him walk into a house, you're within the law to walk right into that house after him. TPP would allow the government to see your download history through the provider of your Internet (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, etc.).

Yes, if you know they did it. If it's like "Bob Jomes Probably downloaded "The LEGO Movie" Illegally." They have no Probable cause. Just a whim. The Local Police would NOT be able to tell this. The Feds? Maybe, but what would they care? Bob the Cop from Kallamazoo? No. He doesn't have the resources to know. If the Patriot Act is not re passed, then the companies will have no right to do this.
05/24/2015 1:09 am
Faxwy
Exactly. Knight is correct. Except they already see our emails anyway
05/24/2015 1:07 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
*woops* *forgot how to delete posts*

Kirito Swordsman

You misunderstand. I know very well that Probable Cause is needed to acquire a warrant, but when you have a picture of a man who robbed a shop, and you see him walk into a house, you're within the law to walk right into that house after him. TPP would allow the government to see your download history (search history, etc.) through the provider of your Internet (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, etc.).
05/24/2015 1:00 am
Faxwy
I like how people are all like, no way! this won't pass!

Ever heard of something called a plot twist?

Petition against it. Never trust blindly.
05/24/2015 12:57 am
The Silver Paladin
I also found out something:

This also violates the right to warrants.
If you pirate a copyrighted video, they need Probable cause, and a warrant to search your computer. They can't just barge into your house, check your computer, the arrest you. Then you get off free. They need proof and a warrant.
05/24/2015 3:49 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut12
Let me take a second to pop this bubble. Pirates can and have been caught by downloading copyrighted material. This has nothing to do with warrants because, torrents as you well know is distributed from other computers which is known as as seeding. What's stopping law enforcement from downloading the material and setting you up? It happens all the time the evidence is on their computer, you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's so easy.
05/26/2015 12:17 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Except it's not that easy, especially when things like this (https://torrentfreak.com/ip-address-not-person-140324/) happen a lot. All they can get is that "[insert IP address] downloaded this" and that won't always be enough to get a warrant.
05/24/2015 1:01 am
Knightsundere
They would have a warrant the moment you downloaded it; control of the Internet providers gives the government access to your downloads, emails, etc. etc.
05/24/2015 1:04 am
The Silver Paladin
05/24/2015 12:53 am
Knightsundere
Even if it does pass, the bill only gives them the power to do so; it doesn't immediately put most of those 'laws' into effect. Watching a copyrighted video and going to jail for it is about as exaggerated as you can get; if you mean torrenting or watching a movie without using the commercial version, then that's already illegal.

On the extremely off chance it does pass, and it lives up to the expectations of the worrisome, the Internet is more than prepared for this kind of event. As long as Internet is publicly available, monitoring it is nigh impossible. It's too hard to lock down. Torrenting sites have been shut down, but they've all popped back up within days. Moving over to the Deep Web is what would happen if anything like what the law dictates occurred.
05/24/2015 12:44 am
The Silver Paladin
HECK YEAH!

It's definitely gonna get Shot Down! This says what I've been trying to say!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/fast-track-violates-the-u-s-constitution/5451320

The Supreme Court is gonna bring the Gavel down!
05/24/2015 12:51 am
Killertoad
I know it's against it, and I hope the Supreme Court doesn't allow it, but there is no promise that they will. They could just pass it because of money. Rich people are greedy and will always take more money.
05/24/2015 12:59 am
Knightsundere
They wouldn't pass it just because of money, because of money. How do you think the check and balance system works? It's driven by greed, but it's the greed of one side against the other. TPP takes the power from the Internet providers and moves it to the government, but it's very likely that a large portion of the government is paid by the providers to argue against TPP. Democracy is just a fancy word for stalemate.
05/24/2015 12:54 am
The Silver Paladin
They won't. Because a Justice doesn't need money to be re-elected, they don't really require bribes.
05/23/2015 2:23 pm
The Silver Paladin
I've been digging into this.

If they get rid of the Copyright crap and other stuff that restricts freedoms, it should be a fairly good law.
05/23/2015 2:16 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
PizzaPenguin_
Just another thing people will freak about about and say how it's going to drastically change our lives and our freedoms but in reality, will not change anything, and have no effect on me.
05/24/2015 12:39 am
Killertoad
Sadly, it's not a think that people will just freak out about. It could seriously be a big problem, it gives the government power to take your computer for doing something as simple as watching a copyrighted video, and to throw you in jail for it.

And it will effect everyone, not just America, only EU are the ones not effected by the TPP, but they have TTIP.
05/23/2015 1:57 pm
FCCAGut12
Kirito Swordsman

Do you even statistics, Brah? Crime grows up when freedoms go down! It is WRITTEN in the Founding Documents of the U.S. That we can own guns, and say what we want! The Supreme Court was made to uphold that! This bans guns and Limits speech. There is almost a0% chance that this will pass in the U.S. Because of this.

That is clear, just look at Detroit. I don't disagree with that at all besides the fact you don't have 100% freedom of speech, such as libel. But how are you going to make both sides happy? Figure that out. These bills try to help copyright holders and criminals are actively getting away. Guns should stay. If this bill passes its for copyrights, not guns.
05/23/2015 1:53 pm
The Silver Paladin
FCCAGut12
Kirito Swordsman*to the tune of Brother john*
Checks and Balances (Checks and Balances)
In the U.S. (In the U.S.)
The Supreme Court won't approve this (The Supreme Court won't approve this)
Nor Congress! (Nor Congress!)

It made it through one house of Congress, just not the other. Yes, it's Bipartisan, but that doesn't mean it will make it through the other house. The Supreme Court will not approve this BECAUSE! The Court does NOT benefit. This also restricts

Freedom of Information Act
The First Amendment
And the Second Amendment.

The Supreme Court can shoot down Laws or bills that restricts freedoms. Yes, it will happen eventually, but not with this current Supreme Court.

Edit: The Supreme Court can and does shoot down laws that restricts freedoms. Especially ones from the Constitution.

Here's the thing. It's about copyright holders who want more strict rules place. It has nothing to do war you think is right because you got the criminals. What is the best option here? Listen to someone who says this is bad for everyone who has the potential of who copying other peoples work or strengthen the freedom to copyright to authors and be proactive instead of reactive. Call me blindsided but thats the issue here. I don't see you or anyone else against these bills by proposing their own bills, which we can as American citizens. Go to elected officials and bring up the issue and discuss it. I'm not going to do it because ai dont see the Internet as you guys do but I can speak for the copyright side of things and I'm more of an innovator which can compete against bills. This is America the main reason why freedoms get taken away is because people want to fight verbally instead of physically. The other part is being in denial it's not ever going to happen.

Freedom of speech isn't 100% here, some things aren't covered and many freedoms to speech must be restricted. Internet in other countries are resticted so America will keep everyne else in check. Thats how America works. I don't understand the whole gun thing but I'm not going to be in denial something like this can't happen, it definently can. It's not matter of when not if. How many more times do I have to say it?

Do you even statistics, Brah? Crime grows up when freedoms go down! It is WRITTEN in the Founding Documents of the U.S. That we can own guns, and say what we want! The Supreme Court was made to uphold that! This bans guns and Limits speech. There is almost a0% chance that this will pass in the U.S. Because of this.
05/23/2015 1:16 pm
The Silver Paladin
*to the tune of Brother john*
Checks and Balances (Checks and Balances)
In the U.S. (In the U.S.)
The Supreme Court won't approve this (The Supreme Court won't approve this)
Nor Congress! (Nor Congress!)

It made it through one house of Congress, just not the other. Yes, it's Bipartisan, but that doesn't mean it will make it through the other house. The Supreme Court will not approve this BECAUSE! The Court does NOT benefit. This also restricts

Freedom of Information Act
The First Amendment
And the Second Amendment.

The Supreme Court can shoot down Laws or bills that restricts freedoms. Yes, it will happen eventually, but not with this current Supreme Court.

Edit: The Supreme Court can and does shoot down laws that restricts freedoms. Especially ones from the Constitution.
05/23/2015 1:43 pm
FCCAGut12
Here's the thing. It's about copyright holders who want more strict rules place. It has nothing to do war you think is right because you got the criminals. What is the best option here? Listen to someone who says this is bad for everyone who has the potential of who copying other peoples work or strengthen the freedom to copyright to authors and be proactive instead of reactive. Call me blindsided but thats the issue here. I don't see you or anyone else against these bills by proposing their own bills, which we can as American citizens. Go to elected officials and bring up the issue and discuss it. I'm not going to do it because ai dont see the Internet as you guys do but I can speak for the copyright side of things and I'm more of an innovator which can compete against bills. This is America the main reason why freedoms get taken away is because people want to fight verbally instead of physically. The other part is being in denial it's not ever going to happen.

Freedom of speech isn't 100% here, some things aren't covered and many freedoms to speech must be restricted. Agree to disagree if you want but we can agree with this though, copyright restricts freedom of speech but it also prevents the same problem of public domain. How can you solve that issue, we're still trying to figure that out. I don't understand the whole gun thing but I'm not going to be in denial something like this can't happen, it definently can. It's not matter of when not if. How many more times do I have to say it?
05/23/2015 12:36 pm
RoboShadow
To all the people going "Not in [insert country].
Not yet...
05/23/2015 1:07 pm
FCCAGut12
Finally someone's who's not in denial. Now we just need to work on making an idea that makes it like this doesn't exist and gives you so much more opportunity. I have one but everyone's against me so.....
05/23/2015 12:11 pm
FCCAGut12
Namez
FCCAGut12
spires33so if this is passed. Am i the only one who is going to say screw you and go live in the woods? XD

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/politics/ ... authority/

Where's your bags to the woods? Where's the riots? Most importantly who cares and what are you going to do about it? It was going to happen sooner rather than later and you ran out of time. Want me to give you the next place you should be looking into? Prevent the usage of Google Fiber or we're really done for.

someone cant take a joke...

Life isn't going to change as many predicted on this post.
05/23/2015 12:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
FCCAGut12
spires33so if this is passed. Am i the only one who is going to say screw you and go live in the woods? XD

Where's your bags to the woods? Where's the riots? Most importantly who cares and what are you going to do about it? It was going to happen sooner rather than later and you ran out of time. Want me to give you the next place you should be looking into? Prevent the usage of Google Fiber or we're really done for.

someone cant take a joke...
05/23/2015 10:40 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
so if this is passed. Am i the only one who is going to say screw you and go live in the woods? XD
05/23/2015 11:58 am
FCCAGut12

Where's your bags to the woods? Where's the riots? Most importantly who cares and what are you going to do about it? It was going to happen sooner rather than later and you ran out of time. But luckily for you I saw this happen 7 years ago and while everyone else was playing games and protesting while completely ignorant about the system that they were religiously protesting, I stood up and acted accordingly. Most people aren't ready to make the switch I created so they must conform. Want me to give you the next place you should be looking into? Prevent the usage of Google Fiber or we're really done for. I'm not the bad guy here I'm just here to spread the message.
05/23/2015 5:17 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
Well in my country (turkey) %80 of the peapole donwload cracked games and music and etc. Some peapole even say, Why did you buy that game, There is a cracked version on the internet! (Very rare but it might happen)

There is atleast 100 cracked game downloading websites and no one gives a fck.
Im sure this wont affect my country.
05/23/2015 4:55 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
But not the UK?
Hoo-ray!

But on a serious note,I think this is a really bad thing to happen, and I support things like Save the Internet! and others.
05/22/2015 10:50 pm
The Silver Paladin
People in Fandoms:

What will this do to you when you can't post pictures of your favorite anime character? Or your favorite scene with Eggs Benedict Cucumberpatch? If you do this, you will be dragged to jail! What will happen when you can't watch a movie on YouTube? Or download a song from there? My dad goes to Redbox and Netflix, and gets films, then he burns them so he ca watch them later.

This effects not just Gamers, but the Film watcher, the Fangirl/Fanboy, and the whole internet!
05/22/2015 11:35 pm
FCCAGut12
This whole mess has already been covered before YouTube even existed (Internet/digital distribution was a loophole in the copyright law). Copyright holders saw this was going to be a problem on the Internet at its peak so there was an amendment put into the copyright law. The bills you see today just have it stand out under an initialism, yet the core things like fines and jail time have been put into place for the Internet since 1997 in the U.S. profit motive or not.

Here's an excerpt of the no electronic theft act of 1997. Other countries have similar standards.

http://www.copyright.gov/docs/2265_stat.html

"The Copyright Office supports the purpose and approach of the proposed changes. We agree with the sponsors of the bill that a significant loophole exists in current law, which permits deliberate and destructive piracy to escape criminal penalties where it is done for motives other than financial gain. In order to preserve legitimate markets for copyrighted works, it is critical, especially in the era of digital transmission, to close this loophole quickly. While we have some concerns with respect to specific language of the proposed changes, we are confident that these concerns can be resolved.

Introduction and Background

The Copyright Act provides for both civil and criminal liability for acts of copyright infringement. 17 U.S.C., Chapter 5. Infringement is a crime only where it is done “willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain.” 17 U.S.C. § 506(a). The penalties for criminal infringement, set forth in Title 18 of the U.S. Code, are determined by its extent: if the infringer has made, in any 180-day period, ten or more copies of one or more copyrighted works with a total retail value of $2,500, the crime is a felony entailing up to five years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for organizations. 18 U.S.C. §§ 2319(a), 3571(b). For cases not meeting this threshold, the crime is a misdemeanor, with the maximum penalty of imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine of up to $25,000 for individuals and $100,000 for organizations. Id. §§ 2319(c), 3571(b). There is also an increased penalty for repeat offenders, authorizing a sentence of up to 10 years. Id. § 2319(b)."

This stuff isn't new. Stop wasting your time.
05/22/2015 10:32 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
FCCAGut12
qaupperops
FCCAGut12
Who's leading the coalition? Gamers Of America? The average person doesn't care about this because it doesn't affect them, American or otherwise.

The internet isn't just gamers. It's full of people of every kind. My guess is people would be outraged.Even you would be affected. Saw that post on facebook about a new movie? Good for you, you're going to jail.

Do you think your average soccer mom, average Facebook user, or your grandma is really going to care? I work with businesses and they won't be affected by this because businesses work P2P why are they going to care? Internet just passes information back and forth that seems stupid to everyone else like databases in business. There are more of those people than people who don't like this. Did they care that Pirate Bay got shutdown temporarily by another country which ruined it for everybody? The only people who cared were people who used it, but THERE WAS NO PERSON WHO WAS AGAINST THEIR DECISION. More people want more money than people want to play games. That's the reality and that is exactly what's going to happen here. It's secret the only people who know about this is everyone who saw it here and reddit, it's not on the news so big deal. People who know this look at this stuff and go to the Internet to protest with DDoS attacks and start flame wars, but that isn't your average person. You're too smart for your own good but sadly it's not enough. Don't hate me I'm just the messenger of good telling you you're on the wrong path and headed to your own destruction. I know how the system works and I know how to circumvent it but it requires you to change your thinking and your not ready to make that jump therefore you must conform to what you don't like. It is what it is.

I can't say it really would affect me like it would you I pay for my own cable service and Internet. It just makes it easier to communicate to people like a phone, I don't care about video people steal from content creators for their YouTube but there's services that have the permission to host the content such as Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon. I don't say I support it but I do think copyrights need to be updated for Internet usage, but the ones who will go with that notion are people like me and you who post videos of our pets or whatnot and we already have those put into place like Creative Commons. So for that reason, why would you care if it isn't your own personal content? That's the million dollar question. You must be willing to break rules that aren't meant to be broken.

Bro...you roasted him like a chicken.
05/22/2015 9:41 pm
FCCAGut12
qaupperops
FCCAGut12
Who's leading the coalition? Gamers Of America? The average person doesn't care about this because it doesn't affect them, American or otherwise.

The internet isn't just gamers. It's full of people of every kind. My guess is people would be outraged.Even you would be affected. Saw that post on facebook about a new movie? Good for you, you're going to jail.

Do you think your average soccer mom, average Facebook user, or your grandma is really going to care? I work with businesses and they won't be affected by this because businesses work P2P why are they going to care? Internet just passes information back and forth that seems stupid to everyone else like databases in business. There are more of those people than people who don't like this. Did they care that Pirate Bay got shutdown temporarily by another country which ruined it for everybody? The only people who cared were people who used it, but THERE WAS NO PERSON WHO WAS AGAINST THEIR DECISION. More people want more money than people want to play games. That's the reality and that is exactly what's going to happen here. It's secret the only people who know about this is everyone who saw it here and reddit, it's not on the news so big deal. People who know this look at this stuff and go to the Internet to protest with DDoS attacks and start flame wars, but that isn't your average person. You're too smart for your own good but sadly it's not enough. Don't hate me I'm just the messenger of good telling you you're on the wrong path and headed to your own destruction. I know how the system works and I know how to circumvent it but it requires you to change your thinking and your not ready to make that jump therefore you must conform to what you don't like. It is what it is.

I can't say it really would affect me like it would you I pay for my own cable service and Internet. It just makes it easier to communicate to people like a phone, I don't care about video people steal from content creators for their YouTube but there's services that have the permission to host the content such as Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon. I don't say I support it but I do think copyrights need to be updated for Internet usage, but the ones who will go with that notion are people like me and you who post videos of our pets or whatnot and we already have those put into place like Creative Commons. So for that reason, why would you care if it isn't your own personal content? That's the million dollar question. You must be willing to break rules that aren't meant to be broken.
05/22/2015 9:04 pm
The Silver Paladin
Pikamoar
Kirito SwordsmanThe Supreme Court won't let it pass due to the restrictions to the Constitution, though.
That's not stopped them in the last couple years.

Even if Obama passes it via Executive Action, it will not go past the Supreme Court due to the Freedoms it restricts.

Checks and Balances.
05/22/2015 8:56 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Kirito SwordsmanThe Supreme Court won't let it pass due to the restrictions to the Constitution, though.
That's not stopped them in the last couple years.
05/22/2015 8:51 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
RoboShadow
FCCAGut12

The leading coalition? It needs to be every person on the internet! As I said before, this affects EVERYONE!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What this guy said
05/22/2015 7:55 pm
RoboShadow
FCCAGut12

The leading coalition? It needs to be every person on the internet! As I said before, this affects EVERYONE!
05/22/2015 7:02 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Oh look: another thing that people will freak out about, but won't ever happen.
People are too on-edge nowadays.
05/23/2015 1:50 pm
Killertoad
I said that about the other things, but this is different, this just isn't against internet, and isn't just against American people, this is against many different things, gun rights, freedom of speech, internet censorship, and is against many other countries.
05/22/2015 7:36 pm
Johnanater
Better than being brainwashed and brain dead
05/22/2015 9:15 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
we sir shall be friends
05/22/2015 6:51 pm
Johnanater
People who support this are idiots.

PMC staff might lock this or delete it... So...
#InBeforeLock

05/22/2015 6:07 pm
The Silver Paladin
qaupperops
FCCAGut12

The sad thing:

It's a better situation for some people. Three hots and a cot.

Some people don't even get that.
05/22/2015 5:41 pm
FCCAGut12
qaupperops
Thomas Jefferson "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

If this act passes, you know people are going to march around DC with guns held high.

05/22/2015 5:13 pm
RoboShadow
Just to let you guys know,
WE CANNOT WAVER!!
We may have won net neutrality, but they will seek to destroy it again and again! We have to fight it off most likely for the rest of our lives, but the one time we let them win we loose it FOREVER! Do not think your voice is not needed! Everyone's is! This will affect the ENTIRE WORLD (there's something similar to this in Europe, TPIP I believe)
05/22/2015 3:42 pm
Level 29 : Expert Taco
-Stuffy-
Will this happen in the UK?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome