Do you prefer anti-swearing rules/filter on a server?

CWAdmin's Avatar CWAdmin9/3/15 8:14 pm
9/13/2015 5:49 am
NetworkPCE's Avatar NetworkPCE
Hello all,

I'm currently conducting some research and would like to know if you prefer anti-swearing rules on a server. What I mean by this is do you like it when servers have a chat filter of profane words you can't say. Do you think it is a positive or negative thing to have. And also would you play on a server that does/doesn't have these rules/filters?

I know that some people think a filter is annoying, while some think it's better, and some don't care.

Would just like to know your thoughts on this,
CWAdmin
Level 41 : Master Loremaster

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/13/2015 5:49 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
I think filters are not really neccesary, swearing is another everyday thing people have to live with. "Oh no we shouldn't teach children swear words", they still learn them anyways from other places. I don't see the danger with swearwords either, it's not dangerous to know an offensive word.

Now again if you start insulting someone it's another story, but that's why there are staff members. You don't need filters for that.
09/12/2015 11:50 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Tampaki
You do make a good point, words that aren't swears can also verbally hurt someone.

It's just that swear words have more power in their use. Saying the B-word has more power and is noticed more then something like the word "idiot

Before you go any further, I want to point out that I'm speaking from third-hand experience. It all depends on the person, if they are used to be called 'stupid' or 'dumb', then they may or may not like being called that. And the same goes for the person who isn't used to being called non-cuss words. My perspective on it is, it shouldn't be blocked. ONLY, because it's the Internet, and if a little child decides to go on the internet (aka Minecraft), then whoever is letting him do it, and himself, should have an idea that there WILL be people who cuss, it's apart of the modern day speech. Another way I look at it like is if someone IRL cusses, it's no big deal, and in front of a overly protective parent, they might say something to that person, but you can't stop anyone from cussing, it's just the way it is. And you sure as hell shouldn't try to do it on the internet / virtual reality. Also, if it really effects someone to the point where is emotionally or mentally hurts that person, then that person needs to take a break from the internet.
09/12/2015 9:32 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Fisherman
Aegeah
I find that on servers even where there's no filter, people make sure not to look edgy by swearing a lot, if at all. However, as someone who likes to speak their mind I don't like having to "compromise" my thoughts.

To be honest I'm fine with having a filter if you know there's a lot of people who swear a lot on a server, but I'd prefer there not to be since profanity doesn't offend me at all.

EDIT - Wanted to add:

Even though I understand that it's to protect the innocent little babies of the internet, I just have to say that I don't care. If parents understand that Minecraft has a large online multiplayer system with a chat, then they should be aware of the consequences. If they're fine with their kids getting Minecraft, then they're pretty much saying they're fine with them being exposed to the english language.

For example, I have a friend who's a year younger than me and his parents won't let him get Minecraft because of the online multiplayer. They've done their research and they know about the game and things that happen with it, so they're putting that information to use.

(tl;dr - If parents don't want their kids to be exposed to swearing they shouldn't let them play Minecraft, or any other online game for that matter.)
09/12/2015 9:30 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ninja
MrSerr
I don't mind the filter if it actually worked. There has been a server where i said "heck" and i got strike 1/3. Heck isn't a bad word.
09/12/2015 9:18 pm
Tampaki
I don't think it's annoying, no matter the extent. People here that are saying it's okay to a certain extent are bullshit talkers. If you don't mind cussing in the first place, then why are you going to get annoyed when they cuss.
09/12/2015 9:14 pm
KreeperKull
Well after being on Minecraft for 4 years Ive only just gotten round to joining PlanetMinecraft Anyway on to the question I think swearing should be blocked on big servers and it teaches a suprising amount of kids to swear but I think the owner should evaluate how many kids are on the server and then take the right procedure.
09/12/2015 8:22 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
SurrexitACinere
In my opinion, it would depend on the availability of the server.

If it's a private server with people who personally know each other, then rules or filters won't be necessarily since they're friends and they wouldn't use profanity for hateful or hurtful reasons.

But if it's a public server, small or big, then a rule or a filter would be necessarily due to the fact that it's available to the public and the server wouldn't know the age of the visitors or how mature the newcomer is. So the rule/filter is for etiquette and control.

Having etiquette of the server would make the server look okay in parent and public's eyes and control some of the immature player's hurtful word.
09/12/2015 7:53 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Ghei
Can someone explain to me why swearing is a bad thing? I don't get it, they're just everyday english words used to express certain things, be it anger, humor, exaggeration, etc., all thing which are perfectly fine. I don't get why it's a bad thing for kids to swear, if a kid says the f word it's not like he's hurting anyone or he's breaking the law, there's no harm...
09/12/2015 8:53 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
It's really depending on how the swear word is used. If it's used in a joking matter, it's all good, but if it's used to verbally harm someone, it's no good.

Vsauce made a video on the topic, and it makes some interesting points.
09/12/2015 9:23 pm
Ghei
If it's bad because it can be used as an insult or "verbal harm" then why is "stupid, jerk, dumb, idiot, etc." not banned.
It seems like a bit of a contradiction...
09/12/2015 10:57 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
You do make a good point, words that aren't swears can also verbally hurt someone.

It's just that swear words have more power in their use. Saying the B-word has more power and is noticed more then something like the word "idiot".
09/12/2015 8:05 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pony
Starlight Glimmer
Because somebody at some point decided they were bad. But I have to agree with you.
09/12/2015 6:40 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Sweetheart
Catligraphy
And yes there are little kids there
09/12/2015 6:39 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Sweetheart
Catligraphy
No because I can't say "update" ano you can still swear by using tons of spaces between the letters of the word. Like:
H.....e.....l......l......o
So it's useless. You can still see the words if you can fool the moderators.
09/10/2015 10:45 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
I think swearing can be an effective and powerful way of expressing oneself, but when used too much it can get annoying. Especially when the people who use it are too young to really understand what the words mean and when to use them appropriately. Some people just swear a lot because they think it makes them seem mature and cool, but it often doesn't. On the other hand, one should avoid swearing when children (of which there are loads of that play minecraft) are around, cause you know, they'll start doing exactly what i described in the previous sentence. I can't really see how swear words can be found offensive on their own, however when used directly towards someone in a negative way, it's a different thing entirely.

So about anti-swearing filters: i say no. A lot of the time the filter becomes more annoying than the swearing itself, especially if it prevents other words that aren't really necessary to censor. Let the people say whatever the -snip- they want!! freedom!! It should at least be optional to see the swearing or not.
09/10/2015 6:37 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Engineer
ItsThomas
100% a YES
09/10/2015 5:32 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
Blue_Banana
Yes, if you want 7-10 year old people in your server. So no. To stop spamming, something like only x amount in one message.
09/10/2015 12:43 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
The way I look at it is ...
If you're old enough to Drink (Legally) then you're old enough to curse

..otherwise you just end up looking immature and no one will take you seriously
09/10/2015 12:34 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Swearing/cussing is a form of expressing uncontrolled anger in an immature way. Either that, or it's a bunch of kids around my age (10 - 16) who think they can be "cool" if they cuss excessively, hence, showing immaturity. Therefore, I thnk that servers should have a chat filter over vulgar language.
Plus, it's always fun to see somebody raging and all that is in their chat is **** ******* *******!!!
09/10/2015 6:35 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Its also a scientifically proven way of decreasing pain if you, for instance, stub your toe on something, or hit your head. If you curse afterwards, you feel less pain.
Article of reference:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-we-swear/
09/09/2015 9:39 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
i find swearing is just like when parents said rock and roll was destroying our minds and like now its still happening people think wolves are vicious monsters but its not true thats only the placebo effect... basicly told somethings bad over and over and believing it, like my cousin was smoking non addictive cigarettes but since everyone was saying they were addictive she then had a false addiction to them so basicly swearing isnt bad, insulting someone and calling them names is and thats why everyone says swears are bad, because people go to swears first when calling names but s--- is just tier 3 of poop... and crap, i suck at explaining things..... basicly placebo effect is happening here where most people believe its bad when its a good thing like how killing games have no reports of killings because of them and someone murdered someone because of... flappy bird.... how?!?!? its really hard!!! gta5=easy since theres both single and multi and minecraft too since i actually did a speech on this where violent killing games are better to be played (not as in fun but as in they help prevent bad things like this) and the more "innocent bloodless" games are bad to play (again i suck at explaining stuff so you might not understand this so im trusting paril and other pmc mods and admins to understand this...)
09/09/2015 9:09 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pony
Starlight Glimmer
I'm ok with swearing as long as it isn't me
09/09/2015 8:49 pm
TheRoboticNinja
Honestly, I don't curse,but if other people do, it doesn't bother me. If it is really bad, i can always make the chat size super tiny
09/09/2015 8:29 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
MoonbowMercury
Not at all.
I can understand being against things like racist slang, homophobic slang, or things of that nature. I can understand being against excessive swearing, simply because hearing someone spam the same word over and over- swear word or not- can get annoying pretty fast. And I definitely get being against words of any kind being used in a derogatory context against another person.
But really now, half these swear words aren't even inherently derogatory. I mean, really stop and think about it; does, for example, me dropping an f bomb after falling in the Nether and losing all my stuff actually demean anyone? If it doesn't, then I fail to see the issue.
09/07/2015 10:52 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
09/07/2015 10:38 am
RicochetRooster
Some filters can get silly. I am on 2 servers with custom filters that only have a few false ***** blank outs. They are more to police in general and take some of the trash out for the mods so they can concentrate on bigger problems. The one has full custom list for common highly non PC terms.
I definitely appreciate all the servers I frequent have the PG13 rule (one is family and closer to G rated). People cuss, sure. But it is act of intent to have it fly off a keyboard.

I am a kid. I have no problem with "ffff I lost my levels/pic/etc!!" But some toxic player calling everyone a fag or jew or F**face. -_-

I personally am not too thrilled with people speaking about TMI in global chats which sometimes isn't caught by filters. My Stepdad really chokes on stuff like that. Mom , is ex army but isn't too thrilled. My sister gets amused. My brother is stuffy as my stepdad >_<. Not bashing , they just are.
It better to have the rule in place to give your staff ability to clean up rulebreakers than to have the rule after fact. PvP ers cuss more.
Swearing up a blue storm is not required to communicate how pissed or unhappy one is. You can even bait a nemesis without it.
09/07/2015 9:58 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
C4rr0tz
I personally think that server owners have given up on trying to use chat filters, even kids now a days have been using curse words, it is nice to have chat filter on servers, but people don't care, they'll just find a way to use curse words. And that's the bad part about having chat filters.
09/07/2015 9:29 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Unicorn
FreeBird325
I voted yes because, well, I'm only 12. It really bothers me when people swear. People r like *** ******** ****** *****, and well, I HATE THAT. I'm glad when servers have filters or rules against swearing.
09/07/2015 9:19 am
Level 21 : Expert Blockhead
Zoyarox
Don't see why there shouldn't be one. Onyl has pro arguments. Stops little kids from swearing and calling people noobs

What I have seen on some servers tho, is the blocked "damn". I only use that in some situations when my plans don't go well and I don't think that is swearing or could be used in a mean why: "Damn you" xD Very rude
09/07/2015 9:16 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Network
NathanLithia
A server with mature staff who can take a joke and have a few laughs as well as a creative community who is willing to help you and let you look at their amazing buildings and contraptions

this is all i need and ask for but i don't receive the even slightest pieces of the cake :3
09/07/2015 6:29 am
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
Caporal Dxl
I can "resist" swearing and I am swearing myself, but not in game. I just think about it . I like having filters on servers, because swearing words look really bad in chat, I don't like everyone just saying bad words and plus, there's a lot of kids out there.
09/07/2015 9:59 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
C4rr0tz
Kids swear themselves, this is sadly the way it is.
09/07/2015 4:46 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Mage
AtomStation
I am against swearing. I like the way Mineplex has it. Where if you swear, its censored, but you won't get banned for it.
09/06/2015 4:13 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
in the end of a day a word is a word, i dunno why some are so taboo, i mean if you look at the meanings of some curse words the sentence you string from them either makes no sense, or in some cases the sentences used are a compliment (if you don't know what i talking about look up the most Famous curse word)
09/06/2015 4:01 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
JakesterMC
No, honestly the filters just block people from saying what they want. Few words here or there wont cause much trouble, yet you can intervene if a war is caused between players with vulgarism.

Otherwise its pretty good to not have a filter, no one really cares about kids, its PEGI's job to sort that out. Unless some parent is stupid and cant read the rating. Thats not something to be worried about by a server owner.
09/06/2015 3:51 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Engineer
looker1232
I don't personally mind swearing. I just don't want my younger players to feel uncomfortable.
09/06/2015 3:41 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
Yeah some small or Ytuber made servers have that filter. Rarely.
09/06/2015 3:00 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
A filter that changes the words makes it more fun, so instead of the "I f- hate you, you piece of * "

It would be more like "I Ponies hate you, you piece of Cake"
09/06/2015 3:18 pm
Ivain
This should be a thing on every server using filters. Most current filters just block the entire sentence, making it annoying to talk through it
09/06/2015 2:54 pm
Ghei
I despise censorship, therefore, no.
09/06/2015 2:48 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
I only swear when i deem it fit to, sometimes i use profanity instead of words i don't understand/cant pronounce, some of them are good describing words as well

anti swearing rules are more annoying than filters, because at least with filters i can type "son of a rabbit biscuit" and it will pop up at ****** so i can talk normally, when it gets rules that say no swearing but then don't couple it with a filter its more annoying because you have to think before you type instead of talking freely
09/06/2015 2:43 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Hydraheads
spires33I kinda feel like cursing is a immature thing to do really... it's like that 13 year old who uses the f word in every sentence so he looks cool.

EDIT: there are some cases where i can understand someone cursing.. but i'm not sure if that can happen in minecraft

I highlighted that part because this is how I feel. Swearing frees stress. But you don't have to type it out. Like, ever. Reading it is painful and uncomfortable. It just makes no sense to type...
09/06/2015 2:38 pm
Ivain
The thing with filters is that they're either too easy to circumvent or very much on the sensitive side.
There's swearing filters that can be bypassed by changing a single letter, and then there are those that see the combination of letters "0-th" as "gay", and block it.
The thing with rules is that it requires people to enforce them. If your server has more than 50 people on at any one time, you might want to unburden your staff by introducing a filter. below 20 (assuming you have a few mods that aren't constantly overworked), it shouldn't be neccesary.
09/06/2015 2:26 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
09/06/2015 12:33 pm
Level 42 : Master Engineer
Cagrimanoka_TR
Filters are good sometimes. Minecraft is not only played by adults. Anti-swearing filter is good for children.
09/06/2015 11:56 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
I see the utility in a chat filter. It's great for taking out certain words, and it stops the casual person from swearing. Some people, however, will stop at nothing and just change the swears to have slight variations, thus bypassing the filter. However, I see this as a great tool to make sure to keep an eye on these people - if they're giving this much effort to bypass something to purposely make a bad impact on your chat in-game, what effort must they be giving to disrupt the actual gameplay (e.g. putting lava on things, destroying houses, etc.)?
09/06/2015 11:24 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
Im against it, there is no reason to use those words unless your saying 'dont use the -blank* word'. Theres those 10-year-olds who use them to sound 'older'. really it just makes them sound like idiots.
09/06/2015 11:15 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
EOUSIS
Swearing should not be allowed, filters must be very strict.
Fifth graders, sixth graders and other school kids play on servers and teaching them to swear can get them into serious trouble outside school.

Matter-of-factedly, if I ever make a server, swearing shall be ILLEGAL
09/06/2015 11:15 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1638765
[deleted]
09/06/2015 11:09 am
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Most of the people are voting are probably 10 years old, and will probably pick "yes". But in reality, don't have an anti-swearing policy. Not only are there NO plugins out there that correctly filter out swearing without extremely annoying false warnings, but even if there was you couldn't stop them from making a single typo and swearing anyway.

About the rules part.. why? Minecraft has the majority of players over 15 years old and players are used to swearing on any server they want, without receiving punishment. There's simply no need to have a no swearing rule.

I would, however, recommend making a rule about EXCESSIVE swearing or swearing at another player as this can be annoying and isn't needed
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome