Solamar's Minecraft V34 by Sterling Babcock
Get Embed Code
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Posted 10/02/12 2:50:13 pm
A Minecraft model extracted with Mineways by Eric Haines and printed at Sculpteo September 2012 at 3mm / block resolution with 20 x 20 x20 blocks for 6 cm cubed result.
Planet Minecraft for World: Solamar's Minecraft V34
Photo Set on Flicker: Solamar's Minecraft V34
My goal was to create an example of everything I could in Minecraft, including all the regions and all the blocks in as small an area as possible for reduced cost. I settled on 20 x 20 x 20 blocks to show both the above ground and below ground objects. I have a farm, house, sheep, crops, and water on top. Below I have mining, ore, stronghold, rails, mob spawner, desert area, nether, and even the End!
I plan to display it in a baseball case, which is about the right size. Still getting that ready to photograph.
My observations about the 3D Model from Sculpteo:
* They did a really nice job with the model. Only a few cactus broke off. The outside edges are a bit rough though.
* You will note it is 3 pieces. I had to do a bit of filing to make the roof fit as I did not know the resin they coat it with would add so much material.
* It amazes me how the color is throughout. I had to scrape off with an X-Acto and file some 0.5 to 1 mm off some edges to fit the roof, and the color is there underneath. The only color I lost was on a tree trunk on the roof corner, where I scraped off a bunch of the bark. But then again it is on the top section so you don't notice it.
* I am struck by how dark it is inside. I see I did not even get a good image of it. I wish I had made the ground level removable. (I am working on a modified model with many revisions now at version 44)
If I was going to do it over I would make several modifications:
- Add a hole in the middle of the model so I could insert an LED light for internal lighting.
- I was concerned that a 1 block (3mm) corner post was too small. I see it is OK, as long as it is not too tall. The 2 block (6mm) are pretty sturdy. The one corner with 3 block corner post (9 mm) is way to large. I could have let more light in by making some pillars not so wide.
- I would figure a way to make a hole in the middle for more light.
- I should have just separated the entire ground level and made it possible to lift up.
Things I like about the model as it looks now:
- The lilly pads
- The thick fences (Mineways Thicken objects)
- The chairs
- The lampposts
- The table inside the house
- The Sheep
- The bed, the chests, the sink
- The trees really worked on only a 3 mm trunk!
- The buttons above the roof windows actually stick out! (They are decorations)
- The colors!
- The cactus
- The river
- The melon and pumpkin!
- The crops!
- The fountain!
- The flowers! (Mineways flatten objects)
- The roof worked once filed. (A bit uneven on my part)
- The TNT and Lava!
Things that did not work:
- The cauldron with water in the house did not get the blue water. I think this was because I removed 1/3 of the water. For my next version I will leave it full.
- There are errors in the sculpteo model behind the dock where the water did not work. I am not sure how to fix that.
- The general roughness of the sides of the model. I may add some sort of extensions to the next model.
- The darkness of the interior. I really cannot see the rails and the carts, let alone the mushrooms. I don't even have a good picture of it. I need to make the ground level removable.
- The ore is kind of fuzzy
- The internal river around the post between the crops did not fill in blue. Some sort of sculpteo problem. I will fill it in so that it is all at high level and see if that helps.
- The cactus plants did not work. (Of the 4, only 1 survived on the dock)
|Tags:||Minecraft Mineways, 3D Art|
Join us to post comments.