Tatsuyama - 龍山 - Empire of the Dragon Mountain - v1.1 Complete, Check it out!
Get Embed Code
Level 70 : Legendary Hero
About the project:
Tatsuyama, (é¾å±±) means "Dragon Mountain" in Japanese, and felt the most authentic after searching around for a few appropriate names in Google translate. This is by far my biggest project in Minecraft so far. The map features fully fledged a very large island Empire and covers a total of over 1,200 x 1,200 blocks, has over 20 major builds, 70+ unique structures, and several secret areas.
350 hours may seem a hell of a long time to spend on a minecraft project, but Iove learnt loads from it, from map design, reptile anatomy, Asian culture, history and architecture, Video and Photo editing, plus had a lot of fun, despite suffering from some owriters blocko at various stages.
The original thread discussing my evolving plans and Work In Progress on the Map can be found here .
It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to also install and run my 128x128 Asian themed texture pack to go with the map if your machine can handle it, although of course not required, I have spent many hours on the pack, and it shows the map as it was meant to be seen. No other mods are required.
To do this, youoll also need the HD Texture Fix.
Tatsuyama, the Empire of the Dragon Mountain is a detailed Feudal Asian (Japanese/Chinese) city map with many several districts and many unique features. No building is unfinished, and every building has a complete interior as well as exterior. The map itself is not based on any other game or existing city, but various elements draw inspiration from real world examples of the best in Chinese, Japanese and Thai architecture.
It is not an adventure map, but instead a creative map with some RPG elements and a back story. Therefore you are free to set the difficulty as you wish, and go in modded and fly around, or go in vanilla, and explore at eye level. If you just want a tour, Iod recommend first trying without fly mods and looking around at the Empire as a Tatsu citizen sees it, if you want a challenge, put it on one of the harder difficulties and try to survive, there are goodies spread throughout the map to help you if you wish to do it this way.
Over 100 other pics of Builds, Work in Progress shots and more map renders can be seen in my imgur album for the project here.
Enough! Give me the Download Already!
Well the download is available in 4 different forms:
1) Standard Map Download, which also comes with a note left for you by the Chief Scribe to the Tatsu Emperor and a fully detailed map of the Empire.
2) A schematic of the whole mapo¦ WARNING! You will require either a large dose of patience or a powerful PC to even attempt to import this into your world, believe me I tried it even when the map was half done, and it took 45 minutes for the import to complete even on a decent quad-core machine. The schematic, contains a staggering 343,605,248 blocks, and is over 47mb.
3) Schematics of major builds (linked to this post) - The remainder of the builds of the project can now also be downloaded in what I have branded oTatsuyama in a Boxo, which contains a total of 60 mainly unreleased schematics of all of the remaining builds, including Bridges, Pagodas, Mausoleum, Imperial Guard Headquarters, 2 dragon Models, About 15 houses and much more.
4) Pre-released Schematics: Several Elements of the Map area already available to download, you can find them here:
- City Wall and Gates
- Temple of Serenity
- Asian Fleet of Ships
- Ruins of an ancient culture (Angkor Wat)
- Theatre and Art Gallery
Additional Credits and Thanks:
- Many thanks to my Beta Testers o Vakarian, Neroxyl, UndeadJesus, Ameren, Larssonmc, and MC_Darth_Vader.
- Additional thanks to Omgitzjeff for allowing me to use a couple of his Japanese house models in the residential area. (sorry forgot to credit you in the video)
- And a big thanks to all on mcschematics.com for the support, ideas and encouragement over the last few months.
- All the folks at deviant art and flikr for some great inspiration when I was running low.
What can I expect from Future Releases:
This is an initial complete release of the map, further enhancements to expect after Iove taken a break and recharged the batteries include:
- A 64x64 version of the Woocraft Texture Pack
- A Minecart System
- Summer Palace
- A rival empire?
How did you do x,y, or z? (Methodology)
- This is not a olegito build. If it were, simply gathering all the required materials would have taken me literally yearso¦. I see Minecraft as a tool for my creativity, and the survival version of the game doesnot really inspire me, hence I use all of the great and evolving tools at my disposal to help where possible with my projects. For this project, tools used include:
- Blender o For creating the dragon used in Dragon Mountain
- Binvox o For the import of the Dragon used in Dragon Mountain, the Giant Buddha, and the Dolphin in the Bay.
- MC Edit o General schematic preparation, some terraforming and planning
- Minecraft Structure Planner o For planning out some of the pixel art and building facades
- Single Player Commands (World Edit) o Loads of the ingame editing and terraforming
- World Painter o Some of the major terraforming elements (volcano and some underground areas)
- MC Explorer o Source image for the map, and some of the render images
- Pixelmap o Earlier map renders
- Photoshop o Logo, map touch up, and render touch ups.
- Sony Vegas o Video Editing
- Fraps o Video Recording
Can I use the map or map elements on my server:
- Yes, it would be hard to stop you anyway, now itos public domain, but please be reasonable and provide credit where itos due, donot pretend you created it yourself.
Can I have your babies?
No sorry, Iom spoken for, but thanks for the offer.
Now featured on Minecraft France Here: http://www.minecraft-france.fr/?p=3338
Crafthub here: http://crafthub.net/2011/06/25/hands-down-tatsuyama-is-one-of-my-top-favorite-builds/
|Tags:||Chinese, Japanese, Asian, Map, Castle, Palace, Dragon, Temple, 3D Art|
Update #14 : 03/08/2013 8:21:05 am3/08/13
Removed Schematic link as this was also defunct, and less used anyway.
Update #13 : 09/02/2011 1:25:13 pm9/02/11
Update #12 : 07/19/2011 9:54:10 pm7/19/11
Update #11 : 06/30/2011 7:39:36 pm6/30/11
Update #10 : 06/30/2011 5:47:18 am6/30/11
Update #9 : 06/24/2011 4:20:14 pm6/24/11
Update #8 : 06/24/2011 12:30:07 pm6/24/11
Update #7 : 06/20/2011 4:36:40 am6/20/11
Update #6 : 06/19/2011 6:21:41 pm6/19/11
- Park area now done, complete with new "topiary" dragon.
- Mountainside village "Gao Chun" is heavy Work in Progress, once that is complete, I have one more major build, the Mausolueum, then the map is ready for v1.0 release.
- Decided to delay the Summer Palace and Minecart System for update releases at this stage to ensure I finish before I go away.
- Started also messing around with the Launch Video, but lots to learn about video editing, so progress is slow.
Update #5 : 06/16/2011 1:35:13 am6/16/11
Update #4 : 06/10/2011 6:31:49 pm6/10/11
Update #3 : 06/09/2011 8:45:08 pm6/09/11
Update #2 : 06/08/2011 2:24:26 pm6/08/11
Update #1 : 06/05/2011 2:35:01 pm6/05/11