Paper Cut-Out : supports 1.5.2 and 13w19a
227,697Views, 942 today
- 93,648Downloads, 319 today
Get Embed Code
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Blockhead
Posted 04/01/12 1:33:05 pm , last updated: 05/18/13 7:54:37 am
for Minecraft 1.5.2 (plus 13w19a)
Now Available, in Paper Cut-Out style...
- Werewolf Engineer/Miner
- Paper Bard
** To use this pack with Minecraft 1.2.5 or earlier, delete the file "gui/allitems.png" from the texture pack zip file and optionally rename "gui/allitems-1.2.5.png" to "gui/allitems.png".
Many people have made paper cut-outs that look like objects from Minecraft, but now you can reverse that and make Minecraft look like paper cut-outs! This pack uses shading to make the textures look like cut, folded, and overlapping paper. In addition to these 3D effects, the textures also have just a little papery roughness, but not so much as to be "noisy".
Most textures have been customized, and the remaining textures come from either the Minecraft defaults or from my other texture pack, BitKnit. I used BitKnit to fill in unfinished textures since it blends with the style of this pack better than the default textures. If a texture appears to be customized but still looks a little out of place, it probably came from BitKnit. I am replacing these with proper "paper" textures over time. The BitKnit texture pack can be downloaded from: www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/bitknit
.. CUSTOMIZER! ..
NOTE: minecraftcustomizer.net does not currently support Minecraft 1.5, but I have updated the texture pack itself to include 1.5-compatible alternate textures. Inside the the zip file are some folders whose names start with "alt-". These can be found under the "textures/blocks" and "textures/items" folders. They contain alternate textures that you can use to replace Paper Cut-Out's default textures. For example, the folder "textures/blocks/alt-ores-square" contains the square style ores that were the default in earlier versions of Paper Cut-Out.
As I have mentioned before, the voting for icons/ores just helps me to decide what to make default and where to focus my effort. You have always been able to get the alternate textures by following the instructions for deleting/renaming files in the zip package. However, several people have asked for a way to more easily mix and match textures. To help with that, I have posted the Paper Cut-Out pack on minecraftcustomizer.net.
.. VOTE FOR TERRAIN ..
I'm trying out some new terrain textures. My first attempt was Terrain2 below. It felt a little off, so I refined it to get Terrain3, which is a balance between Terrain2 and the original Terrain1. Terrain3 keeps the grass from Terrain1 and uses a reduced-contrast version of the stone from Terrain2. In the most recent update I also changed the dirt for Terrain3 to a subtle weave pattern that's a little different from my previous update. Here's what all three look like...
Terrain 1 (click for full image)
Terrain 2 (click for full image)
Terrain 3 (click for full image)
I'm holding a vote to help decide which should be the default. Share your preference in the comments.
Since Terrain3 is currently the default, to use Terrain1, open the texture pack zip file, delete "terrain.png" and rename "terrain-smooth.png" to "terrain.png". To use Terrain2, open the texture pack zip file, delete "terrain.png" and rename "terrain-rough.png" to "terrain.png".
Note that the customizer still has just the Terrain1 textures for now.
Voting Results: .. Terrain1: 4 votes .. .. Terrain2: 2 votes .. .. Terrain3: 8 votes ..
.. NEW ICONS ..
After having a public vote, I made the 'paper-style icons' the default for this pack, but you can still get the 'traditional icons' by following these instructions...
To use the traditional icons open the texture pack zip file, delete "gui/items.png" and rename "gui/items-traditional.png" to "gui/items.png". Or if you want to mix-and-match, be sure to check out the customizer.
Icon Voting Results: .. Traditional: 32 votes .. .. PaperStyle: 49 votes ..
.. NEW ORES ..
After having a public vote, I made the 'new ores' the default for this pack, but you can still get the 'square ores' by following these instructions...
To use the original "square" ore textures, open the texture pack zip file, delete "terrain.png" and rename "terrain-square-ores.png" to "terrain.png". Or if you want to mix-and-match, be sure to check out the customizer.
You can see a comparison between the two kinds of ores in the screenshot gallery.
Ore Voting Results: .. SquareOres: 29 votes .. .. NewOres: 87 votes ..
... VIDEOS ...
*** Builds by HaWkzGamer ***
HaWkzGamer does some really nice Minecraft builds and has been using Paper Cut-Out for many of his videos. Here are a few... Church, Priest Tower, Graveyard, Nether Bridge.
*** Review by obikenobi27 ***
PMC member obikenobi27 has a video covering a wide range of the textures in Paper Cut-Out. Take a look. In addition to the usual blocks, he also covers mobs, armor, the user interface, and more.
*** Updated Paper Cut-Out Spotlight by SuperVampirates ***
SuperVampirates did one of the first videos of Paper Cut-Out. Now he's back with a new video. Check it out. He does a good job of covering almost every texture.
*** Robotix Reviews Paper Cut-Out ***
Robotix has a review of the Paper Cut-Out texture pack on his Youtube channel. Take a look, especially if you're interested in seeing the "traditional" item icons. He uses those in the video. (I accidentally made them the default in version 1.42 of the texture pack. :) )
*** Featured on Minecraft Monday! ***
BepobVox featured Paper Cut-Out in episode 87 of Minecraft Monday. Be sure to check it out. Remember to give a thumbs up if you like it, and subscribe if you want to keep up with Minecraft and gaming news.
**** ChaoticShadow24 Shows PCO with ****
**** Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders! ***
ChaoticShadow24 has a video series on youtube using the Paper Cut-Out texture pack. In episode 5 and episode 11 he also uses Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders. I hadn't seen the two used together before. The smooth lighting of the shaders works really well with the style of the Paper Cut-Out texture pack.
... EXTRAS ...
*** SpAnser's Mod Textures ***
PMC Member SpAnser has created paper-style versions of the GUIs and ores for some popular mods. Give them a try! Here's a summary of the changes.
- Ores ( RedPower, IC2, Forestry, Thermal Expansion )
- Iron Chests Mod
- GUI ( Buildcraft, IC2, Iron Chests )
- Partial GUI ( Forestry )
*** ANIMATED TEXTURES by neowolfhowls ***
neowolfhowls added awesome animation to some textures including ores (based on the original square ores), redstone items, and item icons. You can download the TEXTURES here and check out his VIDEO here. To use the animated textures, copy the files from his zip file into the paper cut-out texture pack zip file. You need to have Optifine or MCPatcher to see the animations.
*** Quote's Take on Paper Cut-Out ***
PMC member Quote made a variation on Paper Cut-Out that is available on his Tumblr site. You can download it there and also see screenshots.
NOTE: If you would like to post your own variation on Paper Cut-Out, contact me first.
*** Official Textures of Colinh68's Left4Dead Map ***
Colinh68's Left4Dead adventure map was created with Paper Cut-Out in mind. Give it a try!
*** Official Textures of the CocoMod ***
CocoSmackdown uses this texture pack for the CocoMod and the CocoCraft series. The default textures of the mod are ones I created for Coco to match this texture pack. The textures in the initial release of the mod do not include my latest updates, but if you download the latest version of Paper Cut-Out, it includes the newest textures for the CocoMod.
- most icons
- most mobs
- user interfaces (GUI)
- HUD ... hot bar, health, etc
- particles ... smoke, fireworks, etc
- some paintings
- environment ... moon, rain, etc
- animated water, lava, and portal
- item views ... map, inside pumpkin
- other items ... chests, minecarts, XP orbs, etc
- mojang splash screen
- more icons.
- more mobs. (A few are still copied from BitKnit or just default.)
- more paintings.
- maybe title graphic.
- support for more mods.
- Random Mobs (included with MCPatcher and Optifine)
- Connected Textures (included with MCPatcher and Optifine)
Planned Mod Support:
(I plan to add support for these requested mods, but I'm focusing on the regular Minecraft textures first. Also, some of these mods are outdated and need to be removed from the list.)
- Assorted Wildlife
- FTB / Tekkit / BTB
- Mo' Creatures
- Tale of Kingdoms
- Better than Wolves
- The Legend of Notch
- Elemental Arrows
- Jammy Furniture Mod
** The screenshots of the windmill were taken using the amazing Celestia world save.
** Some of the other screenshots are from Novv's Medieval Building Bundle.
** Also check out lynchyinc's excellent Medieval/Fantasy Bundle.
Thanks everyone for your comments, feedback and encouragement. I generally only respond to comments when I have something useful to say, so don't feel bad if I don't respond to yours. I read all the comments and appreciate them!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
You are encouraged to use this texture pack in videos and Minecraft builds/maps. You may also redistribute the texture pack. In either case, just provide credit with a link to the Paper Cut-Out planetminecraft page (http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_pack/paper-cut-out/). If you distribute this texture pack, keep it in its original form and do not distribute it along with malware or other malicious content.
If you wish to distribute an altered version of the pack or use it commercially, please contact me for permission via my "superalgae" account at planetminecraft.com. The following commercial uses do not require specific permission as long as clear credit plus a link to the Paper Cut-Out planetminecraft page are provided...
- A website that mirrors the file for download may profit from that hosting service.
- A video that uses the textures may generate profit as long as viewers are not legally forbidden from saving and copying the video for personal use or "fair use" activities. Such a video may have barriers to prevent download/copying, but no legal action may be taken against someone for bypassing those barriers.
|Game Version:||Minecraft 1.5.2|
|Tags:||Paper, Paperboard, Cardboard, Cutout, Smooth, Shaded, Shadow, Shadowbox, Experimental, Terrain, Items, GUI, Misc, Particles, Armor, Art, Mobs, Font, Environment|
|Credit:||Mojang for Minecraft and its default textures|
Note: Showing last 25 of 63 logs.
Choice!, ... also pigs in blankets : 05/18/2013 7:54:37 am5/18/13
- Customize pigs (previously just copied from BitKnit). And someone was nice enough to give them blankets! How kind.
- Choice is back! Although minecraftcustomizer.net has not been updated to support Minecraft 1.5, I have added 1.5-compatible alternate textures into the texture pack itself. These can be found in folders starting with "alt-". Here's the list.
- textures/items/alt-traditional: Icons with a more traditional style (as opposed to the paper style).
- textures/blocks/alt-earth-flat: Stone/dirt textures that are solid colors except for just a little papery roughness.
- textures/blocks/alt-earth-rough: Stone/dirt/grass textures that have stronger patterns to them.
- textures/blocks/alt-ores-square: The square style ores that were the default in early versions of the pack.
- textures/blocks/alt-refined-blocks-noframe: Metal and gemstone blocks that have no frames around them.
- textures/blocks/alt-refined-metal-nobrick: Metal blocks that have patterns more like the default Minecraft textures rather than looking like bricks.
- textures/blocks/alt-wool-diamond: Wool blocks where every color has the "diamond" pattern.
- textures/blocks/alt-wool-stripe: Wool blocks where every color has the "stripe" pattern.
- textures/blocks/alt-wool-weave: Wool blocks where every color has the "weave" pattern.
Chain Armor, Connected Textures, Snapshot 13w18c : 05/03/2013 6:15:24 pm5/03/13
- Support the latest snapshots. The hearts and jump-bar for horses now render correctly.
- Customize chain armor (previously just copied from BitKnit). This includes both the on-person armor and the icons.
Diamond Armor, Detector Rail, Book Icons, ... : 04/14/2013 2:36:45 pm4/14/13
- Change diamond armor (mainly the chestplate).
Armor Icons, Paintings, Flint and Steel : 04/03/2013 1:58:12 pm4/03/13
- Update the iron and gold armor icons to look like the on-person armor and follow the paper cut-out style.
- Make the flint and steel look like a lighter rather than actual flint and steel, which did not make for a very recognizable icon.
- Make the first two paintings look like stamps.
- Customize the flaming skull painting to use paper cut-out style.
- Update several other paintings to fit better with the paper cut-out style.
Mojang Splash Screen, Icons for Bed, Hopper, Cauldron, ... : 03/26/2013 4:42:04 pm3/26/13
- Customize icons for...
- - Bed, hopper, cauldron and brewing stand.
- - Compass (close to default but more shaded).
Hopper, Witch, Apples, Snowball, Redstone Icon, ... : 03/17/2013 8:31:32 am3/17/13
- Customize hopper.
- Customize witch.
- Make golden rail brighter.
- Small changes to font.
- Customize spider eye.
- Small changes to arrow.
Steve, Zombie Villager, Bows, Arrrows, Fishing Rods, ... : 03/10/2013 12:33:33 pm3/10/13
- Customize zombie villager.
- Paperize bows, arrows, sticks and fishing rods.
Villagers, Food Bar, Portal : 03/03/2013 8:59:46 am3/03/13
- New papery style. The villagers were previously just copied from BitKnit.
- Blacksmith with welding mask.
- Librarian/scientist with glasses.
- Hats for the priest and butcher.
- Change the bacony food bar a little.
- Make the portal animation work with the latest snapshot.
Book UI, Sand, Sandstone, ... : 02/24/2013 2:49:55 pm2/24/13
- Customize book UI.
Dirt, Leather Armor, Rails, Dropper, Water/Lava/Portal : 02/17/2013 2:50:51 pm2/17/13
- Update dirt to have a different weave pattern. I am currently holding a vote for which stone/dirt/grass textures to keep as the default.
- Small updates to leather shirt and hat.
- Update powered (golden) rail to have gold in the texture. This distinguishes it from the activator rail in the recent snapshots.
- Add textures for the dropper and vertical dispenser in the snapshots.
Quartz, More Terrain Updates : 02/12/2013 7:33:36 pm2/12/13
- Customize quartz blocks... plain, pillar, and chiseled.
- Make stone, dirt, and grass have a balance between the old (Terrain1) and new (Terrain2) textures...
- Stone: Use a reduced-contrast version of the stone from Terrain2.
- Grass: Use the texture from Terrain1.
- Dirt: Use a texture similar to the grass texture from Terrain2.
- Bedrock: Same as stone but darker and higher contrast.
- Ores: Updated backgrounds to blend with new stone.
Stronger Terrain Textures : 02/05/2013 10:16:54 am2/05/13
- Make stone, dirt, and grass have stronger textures...
- Stone: Make cross hatch pattern more distinct and higher contrast.
- Dirt: Use the subtle "perforated" pattern that I previously used for grass.
- Grass: Use a woven pattern similar to my neutral colored wool but much fainter.
- Bedrock: Same as stone but darker and higher contrast.
- Ores: Updated backgrounds to blend with new stone.
I'm not sure whether I will keep these the default. I'm looking for feedback to help decide that.
Leather Armor, Gold Crown : 01/23/2013 11:50:50 am1/23/13
- Customize leather/cloth armor (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Create paper-style leather/cloth armor icons.
- Change gold helmet back into a crown (paper styled now).
Gold Armor, Fix Clock and Compass for 13w02b : 01/17/2013 12:15:27 pm1/17/13
- Customize gold armor (previously just copied from BitKnit). It is currently based closely on the iron armor design, so the helmet is no longer a crown. I may or may not make it a crown later.
- Remove the clock and compass icons for 13w02b since I need to update them to follow the new animated format.
Support Minecraft Snapshot 13w02b : 01/13/2013 11:52:00 am1/13/13
- Support Minecraft snapshot 13w02b.
This snapshot includes a major change to how textures are stored. Paper Cut-Out 1.37 is compatible with both the old and new formats.
13w01b. Redstone Block, Light Sensor, Quartz, ... : 01/09/2013 2:12:13 pm1/09/13
- Support Minecraft snapshot 13w01b.
- Customize redstone block.
- Customize redstone comparator.
- Customize daylight sensor.
- Customize nether quartz ore.
- Customize nether quartz icon.
- Customize nether brick icon.
- Customize trapped chests
Nether Portal, Blaze, Paintings, ... : 12/28/2012 2:49:33 pm12/28/12
- Custom animated nether portal texture.
- Customize blaze (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize an additional painting and make paintings overall more paper-like.
- Include anvil textures from Neowolfhowls.
Fireworks, Slimes, Magma Cubes : 12/23/2012 11:55:03 am12/23/12
- Customize fireworks.
- Customize slimes.
- Customize magma cubes.
12w50b. Icons: Rocket, Chicken, Leather, Flint, ... : 12/16/2012 12:19:27 pm12/16/12
- Support Minecraft snapshot 12w50b.
- Customize rocket icon.
- Customize firework star icon.
- Customize raw/cooked chicken icons.
- Customize leather icon.
- Customize flint and flint/steel icons.
- Customize nether star icon.
- Customize mob head icons.
- Customize record icons.
Ghast, Squid : 12/15/2012 1:49:13 pm12/15/12
- Customize ghast (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize squid (previously just copied from BitKnit).
Zombie Pigman, Wolves, Snowman : 12/09/2012 1:41:10 pm12/09/12
- Customize zombie pigman (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize wolves (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize snowman (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- A separate Paper Werewolf skin is also available.
Zombie, Cow, Thinner Block Frames, ... : 12/02/2012 3:22:06 pm12/02/12
- Customize zombie (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize cow and mooshroom (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Make the frames thinner for iron, gold, diamond, and emerald blocks.
- Give glowstone more shading and contrast.
- Give wool textures some shading.
- Improve shading on carrot and potato plants.
- Improve shading on clay pot.
- Make tripwire less visible.
- Reduce contrast for sponge.
Wither, Skeletons, Spiders, Gem Blocks : 11/25/2012 2:50:02 pm11/25/12
- Customize spider and cave spider (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize skeleton (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize wither skeleton.
- Customize wither.
- Update the default diamond and emerald blocks to have frames like the gold and iron blocks.
Bacony Food Bar, Bat : 11/14/2012 9:38:35 am11/14/12
- Change food bar to look like bacon instead of just X's. You can still get the previous texture at minecraftcustomizer.net if you want it.
- Fix bat texture.
Diamond Armor, HUD Icons, ... : 11/11/2012 8:59:44 am11/11/12
- Customize diamond armor (previously just copied from BitKnit).
- Customize HUD icons (health, armor, XP, etc).
- Correct issue with the bat texture (hopefully).
- Put frames around diamond and emerald blocks. I'm not completely happy with these yet, so for now they are only at minecraftcustomizer.net.
Join us to post comments.