How to Become a Judge on PMC

Zitzabis's Avatar Zitzabis6/6/15 10:38 pm history
9/13/2015 2:37 pm
WizAndre1's Avatar WizAndre1
Old Thread Body
Note: There is no application process. New judges are chosen based on need and judge recommendation.
[size=150%]
The biggest and most important things that will NOT get you judge status on PMC is:
1. Asking to become a judge.
2. Hinting that you would be a good judge.
Basically, judge position hunting.[/size]

Now for some helpful suggestions on how you might POSSIBLY be asked to become a Judge, many of which are similar to becoming a Moderator and are just standard good common sense.

How to Become a Judge
1. Read the Site, Submission, and Chat rules and do your best to follow them.
2. Be active on the site. Post new submissions, make them unique and interesting. Don't swear, troll or otherwise be a jerk.
3. When people ask for help, offer help if you can. Don't point and laugh, no matter how dumb YOU think the question is. Everyone started as a n00b once.
4. If you notice a post is breaking one of the rules, report the post using the report button. Don't post a whole new topic on how someone is breaking the rules, do not comment on post saying "reported" and do not point it out in chat. Just report and leave.
5. Help out the current judges by taking a look at the contest entries. Report anything that's spam, inappropriate, wrong, incomplete, stolen or does not match the contest's theme. If something is stolen, remember to include proof.
6. Be respectful of everyone, moderators, judges and other users. Don't participate in flame wars.
7. Try and post quality submissions that show originality behind them.
8. Do your best to not be biased and prove that you would be able to judge fairly (that does not mean showing off or drawing attention to it).
9. Be active on the site and even if you don't post frequently, retain a presence. We don't want judges that will leave midway through the contest.

The above suggestions will ONLY get you noticed by the judges. New judges are chosen based on need and judge recommendations. The best way to get recommendations is to do the above things, not by chasing after the position.

Popularity is not considered for judge roles. You can be popular, and not post great skins, but that popularity isn't going to get you judge status.

Hopefully that will help out any of you aspiring to become judges.

Judging contests on PMC is now a thing of the past with the release of Jams. Reading the above may be useful if official contests return, or you are looking for a good guide on what to look for in a judge for your own contests/jams.

Below are links to some excellent skinning guides. These are historical guides, so the art style and software used may not be current. However they provide good theory and advice.

Guides on Improving Skinning:
KnobleKnives' Colour Theory Guide
Roobus' guide on skinning arms
Roobus' guide on skinning bodies
Roobus' guide on skinning faces
Leostereo's Skinning Tips
the_soup's guide on colours
Zitzabis
Retired Moderator
Level 75 : Legendary Gent