Aren't there too many servers?

ReaCraft's Avatar ReaCraft12/2/12 8:36 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 92
12/20/2012 7:53 pm
DarkStar4657's Avatar DarkStar4657
I am mature, I don't expect to make dough (cash), but I host it from my CPU sorta cause I am cheep, don't want to BEG people for money, and don't trust my server in someone's hands
ReaCraft
Level 16 : Journeyman Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
So... does this mean that if I, a 13-year-old, make a Towny server, it will be hated upon? I'm currently working on one. I'm not even going to accept donations. I try hard to use the best grammar I can, and I actually bought a 2gb server and I'm paying for it myself. I just want to make people happy, I'm not in it for the money.
12/20/2012 7:45 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
minermax7
I'm 13 and i run a small pvp factions server c: ip is
119.17.161.147:25567 please donate for ranks and perks, also we dotn have perms yet so i would love if you could help me with them, permEX is annoying and default players cant even use a pressure plate!!!!! we also need better builder, server wont be up for few days until the update is out of the website. xD
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
DarkStar4657
This is an example of your post, with having little kids trying to get donations.
12/06/2012 10:33 pm
Level 40 : Master Droid
number1_Master
I agree. Years ago, I expected running a server easy. Thankfully, I've stuck with the server business. Now I'm a well experienced server owner.
12/06/2012 10:25 pm
pyeron
Proud owner of a vanilla server!
12/06/2012 9:59 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
mylesbrowne
Yeah I know what you mean... I do know how to make a server and how to run it but every time I go on the PMC server lists I only see Factions or PVP nothing survival or anything with grief protection. There are only a few servers I go on all the time because I know the owner but she never gives me any benefits, she wants me to earn everything myself, and yes you are right most servers are owned by 12 year-olds who just want to make money.

But the most saddening thing about this is yes the people who download a spawn and say something like: "[1.4.5]<Name>[Factions-PVP-Raiding]" I hate those type of servers because right when you come onto it and leave their "Downloaded Spawn" you see grief right outside of it. That's why on the servers I play I would want to make sure their spawn isn't downloaded or made by a 12 year old. Also when you have those very abusive admins who are the Owners friends and he doesn't make them CoOwner but he lets them do whatever they want.

You are true about the donations though how most of the Announcements that say [Announcement] Donate for Ranks! When all they're trying to do is make money and they just waste it on new items that they won't even use for their servers. Or when they ban you for accidentally "breaking a block in spawn." Also what NewSuperMario said: "On the server, you can choose if you want pvp or not. Another bad thing, is that the houses in spawn are very tiny, and it cost much money(minecraft money, not real) to buy a tiny house(like 1,000,000 and when you join the game you start with only 1,000)" <----- He was on the first page
12/06/2012 9:49 pm
baneofzombies
If it's not servers run by little kids, it's them coming on servers and asking for Creative. It's almost as funny as people pretending to be from PlanetMinecraft. The moderators on my server don't even have creative, why would you get it.
12/06/2012 9:45 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pirate
Lorn77
That's nice for some, but others prefer rp servers.
12/06/2012 9:42 pm
Level 25 : Expert Princess
peaches
I don't need anything with money really. Just give me some cherry lip gloss and a sheet of paper with stickers, and ill be great. (I'm a girl btw...)
12/06/2012 9:33 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
ForeverPVPIt seems to me like there are more and more 12 year old server owners who have no idea about how to run a server

You won't believe how many times I've seen these types of servers. It's a shame what the Minecraft community is turning into, a damn shame....

I've also got a rant about this type of thing on my profile.
12/05/2012 8:57 pm
Level 42 : Master Engineer
DarkShadowLegion
Quality > quantity. A very simple rule that many people chose to ignore when it comes to Minecraft servers. Finding a good server these days is like finding a needle in a haystack. 

There are three main things that a server requires in order to be successful:

- Uniqueness:
As said earlier, Minecraft is a game of infinite possibilities. Even if it looks like everything that can be done has been done, it hasn't. Many server owners don't bother with uniqueness. If they see something that is popular they copy it in hopes of gaining the same popularity if not more. Sometimes it pays off but only if keep it unique, interesting, and you put a lot of effort into it (I'll get to that later). So, if you are not going to spend time trying to come up with a new server concept or greatly improve an existing one, don't bother making a server.

- Commitment:
Making and running a server is hard work. When people see a server, they generally see the "exterior" and ignore the fact that it has complicated inner workings as well that require fine tuning and constant maintenance. When they actually get around to making a server they see this and don't bother with it as it is too much effort. Their minds go straight to the goal and skip the important processes that are required to achieve it. Even after a server has been completed it is never really done. You must always be adding new things to keep your community content as well as keeping a watchful eye to make sure things run smoothly. This includes appointing staff and being very active on the server which can be time consuming. If you are not willing to make such a commitment, starting a server is not for you.

- Community:
All of the above means nothing if you don't have a good user base. Unity is very important when you have a server. If your users are immature nobody will want to join and the ones who are already there won't enjoy it as much regardless of how much time and effort you put into it. It is your job as an owner to be a role model of sorts and to find new users who will benefit your community. If you are not willing to work as a collective and only see your users as numbers then don't bother with a server.

To sum this all up, a server is a dream that you must work very hard for to reach and It should be left to those who are willing to do so.

(I have based this all off of what I see as being common sense. I have never built nor run a server and thus my views on the subject may not be 100% accurate)
12/06/2012 9:28 pm
TheGuyWhoMines
I completely agree. It seems like all of the servers like this are trying to avoid being a "bad" server by making it white listed and giving the IP to certain people they know. So most of the servers that people would want to go on are private
12/05/2012 12:12 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
IncredulousCanine386
I agree. To me, it feels as if all server lists get flooded with faction/raid based servers anymore. It's rather annoying. It feels the same like on the iPhone's App Store, which is constantly plagued with Farmville clones. It's not very original. I would love to see building servers populate the server lists. Not just here, but on other sites as well.

I guess one person came up with a good idea for a server, and everyone copied it. Originality will set you apart. So I suggest to anyone looking to create a server, that you try not to make another raiding-based pvp/factions server. There's already plenty of these. Try something new! Minecraft is one of the best sandbox games ever made. Literally anything is possible just about. Use your imaginations! After all, isn't that what Minecraft is truly about? Being creative, I mean.

As far as server staff and donations go, I think some signs at spawn discussing information on donating to the server is sufficient enough. If the players wish to donate, they will. This kind of thing does not need to be broadcast over an auto-announcing system, as it just spams the chat, and possibly angers some players. I can understand that money is required to keep a dedicated host running, but badgering the players every 5 minutes will only infuriate them, and probably persuade them to leave your server. Most generally, people also only donate because they want in-game perks. While there is nothing wrong with this, it is often done the wrong way. For instance, access to a /fly command in a pvp server is an absolutely terrible idea, as people will abuse this command.

Edit:
While this may or may not be true, I've heard from various posts that these servers might also be an excuse for the server owners not do have to do anything much as far asmonitoring the server goes. It makes sense. In a raiding server, almost anything goes. If a player wants to kill you and steal your items, they are free to do so. In fact, on these servers, it's encouraged. Same goes for bases. It's senseless to build on these, as anything that is above ground will most likely be raided, and torn apart for resources. So with this in mind, the owner does not have to do much maintenance, just keep an eye out for the occasional hacker who is using client modifications to cheat.
12/04/2012 2:33 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Hero
Creative-Node
Creative Node Is a great server
12/04/2012 2:33 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Noob server owners are like noobs on Factions or Towny servers, everyone wants their own, but half the time they don't know how to manage it.

Posts on this site entitled "Someone make me a server!" always make me laugh. Most of these people would have no idea to manage and troubleshoot their server even if someone else set it up for them.

Not only that, but if these owners do manage to set up their server, half the time all the staff slots are given to the first people who ask. I plan on writing a short blog for new server owners on how to choose their staff...

An important message to all people thinking of starting a server for the first time...

Do not begin by thinking you will get rich! You will not. You will have more bills and the only payment you get is satisfaction when your server stops lagging and people occasionally thank you for making the server a good place for people to play.
12/04/2012 2:25 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
CyborgSquid_
I'm 12 but the thing is if I were to have a server I'm not going to let my friends be Co-Owner or Admins, that the bad thing about all servers now "He did nothing but hes my friend so he gets Co-Owner" and i'm like uh didn't I help you with all the perms and buuld spawn :O bloody 12 year olds
12/04/2012 2:17 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
Lambo_car16
I have a new server, we don't expect donater's, and I we don't give random players that ask for ranks a rank, right now we only have 1 person is staff, that's a friend of my brother, we will only give staff to people that have been on the server for more than a month and that we trust. I do agree that most server's do NOT have mature admins, someone really unpopulaur servers are one of the best server you could find, with mature players and helpful staff, I used to play on a PvP server, and the owner gave away god swords to random players, worst server ever...

Anyway, I agree
12/04/2012 2:16 pm
Level 20 : Expert Architect
MarkusAV
ForeverPVPIt seems to me like there are more and more 12 year old server owners who have no idea about how to run a server and think they're going to make a fortune.
I recently thought I'd be nice and help a guy set up permissions.
My reward? He said I'd get half the 'profits' of the server once he reached $5000.
I mean, seriously?
Servers are becoming more and more factions based. Every server you join is about killing each other.
Why does everyone call their own server 'the best' and then expect to make $$$ from it?

With that attitude, you're never going to make a server people want to play on.
Where has the building part of Minecraft gone? All you see when you join servers nowadays are bad spawns, corrupt and immature admins, overpowered donors and announcements every 2 seconds saying PLEASE DONATE.
If you die on one server, you have 100 more just like it, exactly the same.
Everyone goes and downloads a build, puts in their server and calls it a 'brilliant' server. Servers are ugly now - grief right next to spawn.
Thing is, most servers aren't even set up properly - you join in weird locations and are killed as soon as you join.

There are too many young, inexperienced server owners who think that they're going to make cash. Minecraft is about FUN not MONEY! At least learn how to properly configure a server. Most aren't even 24/7, they are hosted at home and then the owners wonder why it lags.. NOOBS not NEWBS.

Where has the fun gone?

Vincent

Vincent,
1. Minecraft is made to be fun and a lot of 12 year old people doesn't even wan't to make money one it - I was playing at a server when I was 12 I remember.. the owner was also 12 - But we play'd and builded, we didn't have a paypal or bank account to get money on - we just play'd for fun and alot of people thought it was fun, but basicly what I mean about that is that you're wrong on the 12 year olds that want's to make cash on servers.
2. Atleast 30% of the reason you run a server is because you want to earn some money on it.
3. Not every server is a-like - My server is a Creative server with plots that everyone loves to play on (IP: mc-build.eu) - It even got a friendly PvP world - And my donators are happy too - I don't want to make money - 100% of to money goes to the servers best, when I get enough - I upgrade my server to more RAMs so the server wont lagg so much.

And Minecraft is a free game - You can't stop the growth of new servers - If someone want's to try it - Let them try, young or old, the adventure is up to them.

-Peace Markus
12/04/2012 2:08 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Yepimrobbie
I somewhat agree. Not on the part there are "too many servers" but the fact there is too many servers which are highly inexperienced, and badly administrated.

I totally agree on the fact minecraft was created to have fun. Servers which ask for donations, almost seem to beg - Most of the time they make the donators rank so massively overpowered, people that purchase donators ranks. Just unbalances the server greatly and makes an unfair community of players.

Whereas; the server I run with bwinkl04, we intend the keep the fairest player experience possible, we focus on our plugins, make sure the market has no exploits, and best of all. We do NOT ask for donations, also our staff are well-trained and I actually do moderator training sessions with them on a monthly, sometimes weekly basis to ensure they know everything they should need to know.

Running a server is incredibly hard, especially since our server we manually protect your land for you. We are not a faction server, we are anti-grief and non-pvp (However we have a pvp world enabling pvp for users, alongside pvp arenas in the main world) If you're looking for this kind of server. Then come along Forever, you seem like the type of person willing for a break from faction servers. Want more information? View this link: http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/j ... new-server.

Note: I am not saying every faction server is bad. Just a lot of them tend to be cheap. Honestly forever, come on our server, I really think it suits you perfectly. Once again, view this link: http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/j ... new-server.
12/04/2012 2:06 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Toast
Nyan Unicorns
I support this post 99%.
12/04/2012 1:54 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
mcPVPEU
I'm only 13, i believe i am mature and my school has started a new plan the government in my area give them. I am basically doing year 10 work in year 9. I don't believe the older you are the more clever you are. I am only in year 9 and i am getting A* in all the IT exams we do, they are also marked to year 11 standards so.... I just wanted to point out, not every young person is immature and has not got a clue about anything.

Also if any younger people need help with permissions or just setting up a server PM me. I can help you port forward as well, i know that's hard for some people.
12/03/2012 8:51 am
Level 23 : Expert Taco
Grave99121
The current main issue I have is all the hackers, I pick my staff carefully so there's not much abuse going around and when there is abuse it's usually easy to pinpoint. Dammit I hate "N*d*s" So much sometimes.
12/03/2012 8:45 am
Level 36 : Artisan Musician
MinerDiner123
I gotta agree. Besides that, servers are now.. bad.. in a way and I don't find it fun to play in a server anymore with hackers, staff abusers, cheaters, etc. I miss the old server days.
12/03/2012 8:31 am
Grave99121
ForeverPVPYeah - nowadays spawns are quickly downloaded, horribly pasted, the admin then changes 4 blocks and calls it his own.
Servers aren't quality anymore - they're unoriginal and rushed.

I realized that after pasting in a spawn and set out to built my own custom unique spawn, it's nothing special just an area where you run out of but it's still nice enough to be called spawn and it's hand built so it's unique unlike some other servers. I just noticed your name is ForeverPVP and you seem to dislike PVP, the irony Or at least you don't seem to like the fact that all servers are filled with it.
12/03/2012 8:01 am
Level 40 : Master Mage
+Sheena+
I don't mind if there are many servers. As long as they are unique and not done many times.
12/03/2012 7:43 am
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
Alt_F4llout
You know, I'm glad someone said this. I used to build—and still do, albeit at a much lower rate—server spawns. I believe my current count is 43 spawns total (All of good quality, I assure you). Of those 43, only 27 even got out of pre-release prep.

The 16 that DIDN'T were the fact that the server owner either did some research and realized "Oh I won't make money from this", or "This is too much like work... Agh! *Ragequit*"

Of the 27 that got past pre-release prep, only 3 of them actually got anywhere... And one ended up being run into the ground by the owner's real-life obligations, a.k.a he got called to duty (military), and the other two ended up dying of financial issues, and were taken over by other owns (Totally 12 years-old every one of them).

Good servers are far and few between and some ARE owned by kids, but very rarely does any child have the common sense to realize that you have to run your server as if it were a business, and expect no profit. Besides, on another note, you aren't actually supposed to use server donations for your own use. They are to be used for server upgrades and that alone (Or if you pay for hosting, that).

That's just my personal view due to all the work I went through, only to see it erased by a bit of laziness. I am now a bit more "discriminating" when people ask for spawn aid.

However, about donations... You need perks to come with donations, you honestly do. The issue is finding a balance between too little and too much. I find that a [<3] suffix and perhaps instead of 1 home, let them set a few extras and a tool kit to help them on their way. I've also seen house plots at the spawn as a popular idea that honestly is a good one. The issue is a lot of people have it so you get creative and all these game-changing commands... It just ruins the game for all the other players.

Some people also think servers are a JDAM bomb system. No, you don't just find the general direction and it works itself out, you have to "drop the bomb" (so to speak) the ol' fashion way and do a bit of hard work.
12/03/2012 8:04 am
Grave99121
Builder I was looking for somebody to help me build a better spawn for my server, do you want to do it for me? It would mean a lot to me if you could make a nice spawn for my server. I have a creative world where you can work on a "mini" version of it if you want. My current spawn is around 64x64. I'll send you a PM with the details.
12/03/2012 6:59 am
Level 40 : Master Mage
+Sheena+
I really dk why. I like rp servers better.

And yeah, some ppl really are moar mature than normal 12 year olds. They act more like adults than little children.
12/03/2012 6:55 am
Level 25 : Expert Spelunker
Iveh
I tend to avoid servers that say "Please Donate" appear in chat every 5 minutes and I see what your talking about with the 12 year olds making servers who don't know how to run them. But some 12 year olds (like my self) do understand how to run a server and how to setup permissions. But if I do meet people who don't understand the process or how to setup permissions I will help them
12/03/2012 2:41 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Cake
jkckc12_
Ok.. I am making a server and will only need my own money to host it even if it's 32$ per month. I won't encourage donations to come inside my box every time . But my server type, most people would want to donate for advantages given.
12/02/2012 7:51 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
greyskull22
I've played on many servers that are owned by pre-teens ( I myself am only 11 but am more mature than my age suggests) and i agree that almost all of them are horrible.

Some of them don't even have a spawn, you just spawn in a random place and try to fend for yourself

But what i don't get is that most of the servers that pre-teens make don't even need money, they probably just want the money so they can buy video games and stuff.

Lastly, I have a private whitelisted server run by myself for me and my friends, and I don't need anything except my computer to run it, so why some servers have broadcasts every two seconds saying "DONATE AND GET 2 STACKS OF DIAMONDS", I have no idea at all
12/02/2012 4:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Modder
FailureGamer92
well,if i had a server i wouldn't really care about the £££ (im irish ) i would just try and make it as good as possible and it wouldnt be factions or pvp just straight up survival!
12/02/2012 2:51 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
yeah man im 31. my server makes okay cash too. but my friend who is like 17 makes $30,000 a year off his server

sounds like you need a new game to play. or a better server
12/02/2012 2:36 pm
Level 49 : Master Architect
Heliosk
It's funny because nobody realises the true way Minecraft was supposed to be played. Plain old VANILLA.
12/02/2012 2:26 pm
Level 22 : Expert Prince
Peter_2271
I have been on a server with a genius system. I cannot recall all the plugins but it was set up so everybody got their own large fraction of the map. It was all handmade and the admins never bothered you unless you broke rules. There were even hotels and restraints that were player owned. I built a peaceful city that didn't need walls or guards to be safe.

Utopian minecraft Server:
Admins only bother law breakers.
Admins help.
Equal Liberties.
Fair Trading.
Private territory.
Trust and peace between players.
12/02/2012 2:04 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
eldin
Every time I hear people judging by age...

Yes, running a server is hard work. I can't even handle the permissions.

But just because I'm 12 does not mean I am not mature or smart.
People should not judge by age. There are adults that are immature. I won't point fingers, but let me just say the fact that there are immature kids does not mean that all people under 13 are immature. No, we are not as mature as our parents, probably... but there are loads of things out there worse than 12-year-olds.

I am going to explode if a single person judges by age after seeing this.
12/02/2012 2:16 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
MinecraftFactionz
You can't handle permissions, but run a server? Please hand it over to someone else.
12/02/2012 4:43 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
eldin
If you haven't noticed, I no longer run a server. Maybe you should learn to check your resources. And even if I were going to run a server again, I wouldn't hand it over to the likes of you. In fact, handing over a server is just giving away money. Deleting a server is a lot less expensive. And that is just what I did. Be sure to learn how to delete a server next time.
12/02/2012 2:01 pm
Vortico
Every time I hear "I am ~12 and mature"...

12/02/2012 1:19 pm
Level 24 : Expert Artist
Turbo_Cass
I agree with most of the stuff you have said. I've been on servers like that. I think you should also add the fact that there are little kid owners who give their friends op. Then their friends mess up the whole thing because they abuse their power. On the server me and my brother run, we don't have donations, we built everything by hand, we worldguarded a giant region outside of spawn to prevent griefing, and we don't put an emphasis on pvp nor have factions. I think servers should be more about just surviving and building, with an adding feature of having other people to interaction with, but shouldn't be based primarily on other people and their actions.
12/02/2012 1:15 pm
lak101499
I play on an amazing server, I'm 13 years old and I've made it to admin already there. I've only played for a little more than a month total on minecraft, been there sine day one. Factions are amazing, but we have a greifer who won't stop, I think the servers been hacked and he's using different names of people in my faction, because when I use co inspect, ti comes up with a few names I trust really well. Also, there were falling anvils in my shop there, killed all my chickens a long time ago, before I even got modded so I had nothing. now my faction is the largest there, strongest too, besides our grief. we have 41 people right now!
12/02/2012 12:53 pm
Level 76 : Legendary Snark
Aximili
What I hate about most servers, is that even after the Emeralds were introduced, they still use these fake plugin money that you can't hold in your hand. Emeralds are to be used!
12/02/2012 12:52 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
aussie202942
I have to agree with this. I look on here for new servers, and the second I join I look at what spawn looks like, and how it's configured. Most of the time It's all bad. Laggy, and stupid.

I'm forced to play on Single Player, or Develop a server with a friend that is experience, well both are. And we are taking TIME, instead of just throwing a bunch of worlds together.
12/02/2012 12:48 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
DisForHire
You guys should be mature enough to just leave it. You don't like the server then leave and don't have to be a baby and complain -.-
12/02/2012 12:56 pm
Level 46 : Master Taco
CraftSurvivalGames
agreed, there are too many people complaining about other peoples servers on here. If they want to make one, then let them make one. The only thing I don't like is that the 10 to 12 year olds put servers on planetminecraft and other places that they spent like a couple hours making, and with no banner. Oh well, that is less competition for me
12/02/2012 12:44 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Cake
Awesomeman2002
I agree. I am only ten, but I learn High School level in my school. I think people shouldn't be idiots and think there going to earn $5000.
12/02/2012 12:42 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Ranger
copbot1001
I can agree with the 12 year old thing. If you are reading this and your 12 and you run a public server. You better shut it down. I don't care how "gifted" you are. Servers are hard and take a lot of time and work. You need to be patient and open to new ideas. I know absolutely ZERO people who are like 10 that are like that. Servers are time consuming. A little kid doesn't need to consume his time running a server he/she really doesn't fully understand. However there aren't too many servers. People want variety and the more servers there are the more variety there is. Yes, there is a large amount of PVP/Faction servers, but I like some of those. You also have lots of creative, survival, economy, and town servers too.
12/02/2012 12:45 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Cake
Awesomeman2002
It took 10 months to build my server and write donwn the plans. That is how it SHOULD be.
12/02/2012 12:41 pm
Grave99121
Mac33
ForeverPVPyeah, all these inexperienced idiots are ruining the face of minecraft servers.

I aim to keep my server free. No donations or anything. That doesn't necessarily mean i have a terrible server. I have a HP Proliant DL380.
My father works at our isp so our top-tier connection is free, Also i get the servers they're replacing. Usually only 2-3 years old.

That seems pretty cool mind sending me a PM with the IP?
12/02/2012 12:39 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
11volt11
One word to answer the title of this thread: YES
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome