Cubic chunks

AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis8/11/20 7:21 pm
2 emeralds 932 3
8/12/2020 5:00 pm
BlazeDrake's Avatar BlazeDrake
Serious question, why hasn't cubic chunks been implemented into the vanilla game yet?
despite the popularity of it, Mojang has so far remained reluctant to add it in an update

I really don't understand what the big deal is

this wouldn't be game breaking, unlike some of the suggestions that have been churned out by fans over the years like letting raids destroy every block or pillagers steal player items from chests and that not being a world option or exclusive to a new difficulty mode.

Cubic chunks has been discussed by AntVenom and his subscribers/followers and they generally agree that this would be a fantastic feature to put in the standard game, deeper mines and oceans, higher mountain peaks, removed build height limitation, the potential for more biomes, how it would synergize with the other largely requested update, Cave Update, the possibilities are almost limitless.

I'm genuinely curious why it is taking so long for them to liberate Minecraft players from the 256 Y limitation once and for all.
AGTRigorMortis
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/12/2020 5:00 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Button Pusher
BlazeDrake
I think the main reason is that mojang doesn't take ideas already made in mods anymore, probably because it's iffy at best for copyright
08/12/2020 2:37 am
Level 24 : Expert Modder
Nevermind3476
Probably because it would mean overhauling how world storage works for the first time in quite a while, and just generally be a fairly large undertaking. If that is indeed the reason, that does bode well for this suggestion seeing as Mojang's been overhauling the technical side of the game for a few updates now. If they are planning to do this at all, I'd expect it to come with the cave update, as you've said... hopefully that comes soon.
08/12/2020 11:35 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
AGTRigorMortis
There's also quirks which need to be fixed before it can be made official.

Problem 1# is it doesn't just remove the build height restriction, it causes terrain to generate continuously upwards,
In the nether this would have been fine, but in the overworld it presents a serious problem.

Problem 2# is ravines or holes have a possibility to generate with (apparently) infinite depth in the overworld,
this would break the game but it is not something which can't be patched.

Problem 3# is how it would affect the End, it could mean the void is no longer lethal to players, and islands would continue to spawn underneath if you went down in the negative coordinates far enough. Is this appropriate? or do they patch it so the void remains lethal to players in negative Y?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome