Scrublord makes a game

PrototypeTheta's Avatar PrototypeTheta5/18/16 9:19 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 26
7/23/2017 6:03 am
PrototypeTheta's Avatar PrototypeTheta
ITT: Some idiot procrastinates for ages.

Well as the title might imply, I'm making a game, and games need graphics. As for what that game is, if you've ever played Megaman Zero then I'm pretty much just ripping that off. If by chance you haven't, go do so, otherwise the comparision won't make any sense.

I'll be dumping pixel art assets I'm working on into this thread, I'm relatively new to the whole half decent pixel art thing so I'll likely do a lot wrong, and would appreciate it if the more knowledgeable/artistic among you call me out on my nonsense as and when it arises.

First off, a mockup of one of the background/theme of one of the early levels:

Foreground tileset is pretty solid in my eyes so I'll likely keep it as the final version, though the rest is going to have to be mutilated in order to work with parallax scrolling magic.

And secondly, a pretty lousy idle sprite.
PrototypeTheta
Level 77 : Legendary Robot

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/23/2017 6:03 am
PrototypeTheta
A quick dump of stuff I've been doing (may have posted some of this before).

Player sprites:

Redone the run animation (thrusters need to be re-done and hands added, but I'm happy with the overall motion)

Dashing, damage and jumping sprites (all playing really fast for some reason)

Enemies:

A basic enemy mook. Still need to do walk cycles for this one.

Complete with different death states depending on how you kill it.

Projectiles/Misc effects

A missile, pretty standard tbh

Some explosion effects (conventional and antimatter)

Environments:

Couple of foreground elements for Mission 1

Some more fiddling of that space station

And finally, I wouldn't normally post anything this WIP, however it's a weird perspective that I've never tried before, and I would rather get it right first time round.

Larry Niven called. He wants his ringworld back.

Still not sure whether the landscape works (mostly the mid-ground is the problem, not used to drawing landscapes on a concave surface) and how to handle the sky. I've roughed out the atmosphere but I'm still not really sure where to go with it.
06/07/2017 7:43 pm
PrototypeTheta
Totally original space station.

06/03/2017 2:35 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Network
Saku123
When you finish it, can you give a download???
06/02/2017 8:10 pm
PrototypeTheta
Don't need a discord server I already run three of them.
06/02/2017 2:47 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
starcatcher77
This is going somewhere! At this point, I'd start a Discord server and put up random shit dev builds on itch.io, gamejolt, or indiedb, or all three. And maybe relegate update logs to an #update-log channel on said Discord server. I can set the Discord server up for you, no charge cause I'm bored and I want something to do.

Just give me the okay and I'll start it, I'll just need your Discord name
06/02/2017 11:07 am
PrototypeTheta
Working on a new level theme.

05/17/2017 8:00 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Jakarian Studios
+1
05/17/2017 6:30 pm
PrototypeTheta
Almost to the point where functional level design can be done. Still quite a way to go though.
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDqsHucebTQ[/youtube]
05/16/2017 7:15 pm
PrototypeTheta
Still working on attack animations.

05/11/2017 12:12 pm
PrototypeTheta
Started working on attack animations.

Halfway implemented it in game, it doesn't deal any damage yet but it does deflect bullets.
I may or may not have been making light saber noises with my mouth recording this:
https://gyazo.com/585643b17d3a4f5f1b15777fc54f7143
05/09/2017 9:00 pm
PrototypeTheta
Death animation and death sequence implemented:

https://gyazo.com/8eb40f9cc55e82f8e0d1659eb8a07afc

And started some basic enemy design.

05/08/2017 3:03 pm
PrototypeTheta
Well, today's progress.

Parallaxing got fixed:
https://gyazo.com/c203c16f708ac6f9a4ccd62e8835d350

Damage and some HUD changes got implemented:
https://gyazo.com/f59ac5835fe50c31b8c188f44d2696b0

Annnd I found my new favourite bug:
https://gyazo.com/8c97aee478b256a898ea9f8f58bfbd3b
05/07/2017 8:04 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Jakarian Studios
Looks nice
05/07/2017 4:23 pm
PrototypeTheta
For some reason the parallax sucks this time and won't play nice with pixel perfect. But I'm sure there's a solution somewhere.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9jDA_wsSY[/youtube]
05/07/2017 11:07 am
PrototypeTheta
Having to re-do the background in order to parallax it properly.

05/03/2017 7:47 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
(its ok we wont kill your for it)

the sprites look a lot better than your original ones, keep it up man
05/03/2017 7:16 pm
PrototypeTheta
Woo boy 9 months old necropost here we go!

Not dead. Re-working the engine, still stuck with the same old background from a year ago but the player sprites have been overhauled to make up for it.

Oh and there's actually a run animation this time.

There's a half baked title screen which will likely get dumped for something better

And the animation states, camera and whatnot are a little better this time round.

https://gyazo.com/1b70450f9bc185e478400453c759037b

Mechanics and combat are currently being bootcamped so only basic movement and some fun backend stuff is being programmed right now, but I might have some more assets to dump here.

Who knows. Maybe it might go somewhere this time.
08/01/2016 5:04 pm
PrototypeTheta
More stuff, been fiddling with that background some more. Done a little experiment with a dithered sky, but not too sure how I feel about it.

Secondly, I've decided to completely re-write the game, as Unity 5.4 recently launched, and my programming abilities have grown a lot since the last re-write and there's a bit more I want to do. I'm calling the current version a prototype and starting from scratch. This is demonstrated here:

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=btTjfqG-iRk[/youtube]

And finally, I've started thinking about assets for the second (well, third) level. How one earth do I tree?

07/26/2016 5:24 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Goblin
Gbubble
PrototypeThetaFinally had a chance to re-draw this properly. Much happier with the head and torso, though I'm a little wary of the pauldrons. Legs could be longer but I'd be happy to keep them like that.

07/26/2016 5:18 pm
PrototypeTheta
Not dead. Started working on the animation sheet and more or less recoded the engine. Again.

Just a lame idle I intend to re-do somewhere and a basic shooting effect.

Gif is pretty slow, this displays it a little better.
https://i.gyazo.com/54c92bace0efe79e198e59a9c897005c.mp4
05/25/2016 7:47 pm
PrototypeTheta
Finally had a chance to re-draw this properly. Much happier with the head and torso, though I'm a little wary of the pauldrons. Legs could be longer but I'd be happy to keep them like that.

05/20/2016 12:12 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
PrototypeTheta
ChronI personally think the updated sprite looks good, although the feet are off-putting, as they remind me way too much of the Mario Bros., and take away some of the integrity of the character. But that's just my opinion. The rest of the art looks great, can't wait to see where this goes.

Hoo boy, if being similar to the Mario bros is a problem then this is a big problem:

Though I'm still not happy with the feet myself, something always feels off about them. Mind you, I think I'll have to wait until I'm out of exams to take this any further, I really need a good length of time to just sit down and go through this properly.

Ren3DMI agree with what Chron said. What engine are you making this game in?

Unity 5.2.something. The framework and mechanics are done already, it's just grinding out all the assets and putting them together to do now.

And in other news, been doing more fiddling with the background, namely making the buildings look less naff.

Pretty happy with the oil rig on the left. Not so much with the generic box on the right. I'm considering just turning it into a storage cylinder. That way I might be able to find a reason to blow it up from within the level.

Honestly I think it's perfectly fine that it looks like that (from Mega Man Zero, right?) because that's your artistic inspiration. But the Mario Bros are a slightly different style. Either way, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
05/19/2016 10:10 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
I agree with what Chron said. What engine are you making this game in?
05/19/2016 9:23 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
I personally think the updated sprite looks good, although the feet are off-putting, as they remind me way too much of the Mario Bros., and take away some of the integrity of the character. But that's just my opinion. The rest of the art looks great, can't wait to see where this goes.
05/20/2016 5:51 am
PrototypeTheta
Hoo boy, if being similar to the Mario bros is a problem then this is a big problem:

Though I'm still not happy with the feet myself, something always feels off about them. Mind you, I think I'll have to wait until I'm out of exams to take this any further, I really need a good length of time to just sit down and go through this properly.

Ren3DMI agree with what Chron said. What engine are you making this game in?

Unity 5.2.something. The framework and mechanics are done already, it's just grinding out all the assets and putting them together to do now.

And in other news, been doing more fiddling with the background, namely making the buildings look less naff.

Pretty happy with the oil rig on the left. Not so much with the generic box on the right. I'm considering just turning it into a storage cylinder. That way I might be able to find a reason to blow it up from within the level.
05/19/2016 8:09 pm
PrototypeTheta
Small update, not overly happy with the player sprite. Trying to salvage it but I have no idea if this is working.

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome