JCH's AMA space and astronomy edition

JCHelland's Avatar JCHelland8/18/13 6:10 pm
1 emeralds 256 6
8/19/2013 4:27 pm
JCHelland's Avatar JCHelland
As it is the time of the year when space hoaxes are in effect I thought I would start a space/astronomy ask anything thread.

My name is JC, and I'm an amatuer astronomer. I own 2 telescopes, and have spent most of my 20+ adult years being fascinated and awed by space, astronomy and all space related science. I became interested in astronomy at a young age when my dad gave me the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan when I was about 10. Ever since that moment I have been hooked on all things space.

My hope for this thread is to answer legitimate space, astronomy and astro physics questions to the best of my ability. Some questions I may not have an immediate answer for, and some may require a lengthy answer to fully satisfy, in these cases I will try and say so quickly and get the answer out as soon as possible. I will also attempt to provide references for my answers, however I will do this without links, as I think adding links will get the thread in trouble.

A few rules for this thread:
I don't want a flame war, or lengthy arguments about answers that some may not like. I understand that some people's believes and ideals will be counter to my answers. I apologize for that in advance. All I will try and do is give an answer that, for me at least, conforms to the current understanding of space and astro physics, by leading astronomers and physicists.
Discussions are welcome, but please be friendly

There will be questions (I hope at least) where there may not be a definitive answer. In these cases I will try and provide as many current theories as possible to give the best answers available currently.

I welcome people to question my answers, all I ask is that people put the same effort into questioning my answers as I put into answering them. Provide references, and real ones, not just "I read it somewhere".

As I said before, discussions on these questions and answers are welcome, but again, please be respectful, and if you wish to discuss a contrary point, please provide references and details so that we can have a rational discussion that doesn't devolve into a flame war or a "no it isn't, yes it is" argument.

Thanks in advance and I hope this thread will be a positive, constructive Q and A and discussion on all things space!

JC
JCHelland
Level 37 : Artisan Nerd