Crossing language barriers in Minecraft

Pangamma's Avatar Pangamma3/19/19 1:31 am history
3 emeralds 443 8
4/7/2019 5:21 am
Nutellah's Avatar Nutellah
Image showing cross language chat

I was on the server one day and a huge group of players were speaking in Polish. I wanted to be able to converse with them but was unable to because I would have to be using google translator constantly. And I asked them to speak English, but they didn't understand me, or didn't understand how to speak English. Most people would ban these guys, or mute them, or force them to talk in another channel.

I decided to take a different approach this time.

I did some custom plugin work. Now, any time someone uses
/lang en
they will only see text that has been translated to English. And if they try
/lang pl or /lang ja
the text will be translated into japanese or polish. It will bring the server together, I'm sure. Tomorrow when they come on I look forward to trying this out.

what do you think of this approach? Would you use it on your server?
Pangamma
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Programmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/07/2019 5:21 am
Level 35 : Artisan Explorer
Nutellah
Honestly its sad that they would get banned. Like its not their fault they cant speak english. That's like taking away a right to speak, and i know people would tell them to use pm and all that stuff. But like they shouldn't need to. There's no problem with speaking a different language. Why should they need to ban them like what if the roles were switched. Also nice work on the plugin thats some commitment. Amazing actually.
03/19/2019 5:26 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Blacksmith
Geeri
Cool idea, but as of right now something like this on a perfect level is nearly impossible to make.
04/06/2019 4:51 pm
Pangamma
Feel free to try it out. I have it running on my own server right now. I am pretty happy with it even if it is not one hundred percent perfect
04/07/2019 5:03 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Blacksmith
Geeri
Will do for sure!
03/19/2019 2:51 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I'm not too sure to be honest. The problem I see is that although translation options have come a very long way (I'm still impressed with having this feature within Word) they're still not perfect. When people use a translator then it's not uncommon, even today, for the end result to become a little bit messed up. Sometimes even hard or impossible to fully understand.

The other problem I'm wondering about is the effect it'll have on the server. Because if it needs to translate every single sentence and sometimes even to multiple languages then I can't help wonder if all that traffic (and the software itself) won't have any negative effects on the server (depending on its size I suppose). Because one way or the other it's going to take some resources.

One way to find out I guess ;)
03/19/2019 9:40 am
Level 42 : Master Modder
Toma1O6
So at first I have NO idea about creating plugins and it's possibilities, but isn't handling translations and overall messages on server bad idea? I know that there are some event listeners in bukkit/spigot too, so in terms of performance you could simply tell each client to translate it on their own rather than translating it on server and then sending it to clients, but again, I have no idea about how is this made and what are the capabilities of bukkit.

Anyway it looks like a great idea, built in translator in minecraft :)
04/06/2019 4:52 pmhistory
Pangamma
Actually I would not be able to have the clients translate it. There is no API for that without modding support. And, it's not that difficult to just set this up on the server. I already have it set up on mine. Try it out if you want to! All the translations happen asynchronously on an external service. So what does not have a high performance impact on the server itself
03/19/2019 3:17 amhistory
Pangamma
Good points to bring up. So far I am getting API delay times of less than 100ms. If a player does not have the localization enabled then it is instant. also I only translate once per locale per message. Not too bad. And translations take place asynchronously off the main thread. If used constantly that would be slightly over 20 usd per month for me right now.The biggest drawback is the cost of the API. At 20 USD per 1 million characters that can get a bit pricey. If used constantly that would be slightly over 20 usd per month for me right now. I was considering locking it down and keeping it as a community donations goal perk that needs to be unlocked every 30 days.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome