Cathedral details, style, etc.

AntiDeity's Avatar AntiDeity1/15/13 12:24 am
3/3/2013 1:26 pm
AntiDeity's Avatar AntiDeity
I'm working on developing a Gothic cathedral, but would definitely like some feedback on the form, colors, and perhaps some shader mod suggestions. I haven't a build of this scale before, as I often focus more on detail rather than size, and am curious about what anyone else has to say.

Specifically, it's located here: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/massive-cathedral-wip/.
AntiDeity
Level 36 : Artisan Droid

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/03/2013 1:26 pm
AntiDeity
bumpity bumb

I've actually picked this back up from abandonment about a month or two later. More of the interior has been planned out, with a color scheme of glowstone and wool put along the sides of the columns.

Still stuck on how to do the interior in the choir and transepts, but that's for later!

(Somehow, updating the build didn't bump it up. Odd)
02/01/2013 12:51 am
AntiDeity
The latter. I don't have tekkit installed for this build.
02/01/2013 12:48 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Neptonic
Did you build this with RedPower? Or are you just really far away in those pictures?
02/01/2013 12:40 am
AntiDeity
*Week later bump*
As of now, there's ribbing and some interior, and more additions, etc...
01/22/2013 12:15 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Princess
beefmasta
The cathedral itself looks very nice. I do have some small tips, though:

1. The front façade is quite garish. Iron and gold (or whatever white and gold block you used) simply doesn't fit in with the dark vibes that the rest of the cathedral gives off. Generally speaking, you want the bright, cheery colors to be on the inside of the cathedral. Same goes for that red and gold curtain thing you have towards the back.

2. Your roof is dark and bland! The dark part isn't necessarily ugly, but it's the fact that it's not offset with any sort of nice accent. Try adding a dark gray color or changing the whole thing to be a bit brighter. The end result can be really nice, as illustrated here: untitled-wip-cathedral-t196610.html
01/22/2013 8:50 pm
AntiDeity
I take your point about the roof; it wasn't the strongest part of the build. I've tried to insert a different stone texture to create a lattice kind of effect
Click to reveal

And perhaps change the roof color altogether
Click to reveal

I do, however, need to disagree with some of the color points; relegating color to the interior isn't perhaps the best idea, as then the exterior would be solely brick and grey. However, I've reduced some of the façade's color to give a bit more consistency, with some subtle, darkening changes:
Click to reveal
01/23/2013 8:34 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Princess
beefmasta
Ah, it's perfect now. The façade looks SO much better! Keep up the good work!
01/17/2013 4:50 am
Level 73 : Legendary Architect
Rolofolo
Think you doing just fine atm. Keep up with the same style you did in the front and you will get there. Mabey mine cathedral will inspire you a bit more.
01/17/2013 10:27 pm
Level 46 : Master Architect
mhz
Notice that the project is only 25% done so i think theyre gonna do that D
01/21/2013 1:54 pm
AntiDeity
And I am. It's getting difficult to wrap the detailing around the cathedral though, and I've updated one of the side photos to exhibit some attempt at doing so, keeping the metal textures abundant.

And to Rolo, some of the builds I saw off your profile just then helped me in coming up with some ideas to integrate later, thanks for that

On another note is the interior and ribbing, which might take a while for me to put in with consistency. Any tips on that, perhaps?
01/15/2013 6:19 pm
AntiDeity
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

And @_DioM_, I believe Sonic Ether's shaders haven't been updated since 1.2.5. Will they still work, and hold compatibility with other mods?
01/15/2013 12:06 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
_DioM_
Awesome! For shaders? Try Sonic Ether's. they aren't officially updated yet, but you can get the beta version from his Facebook page.
01/15/2013 3:37 am
mhz
I loved the front entrance
01/15/2013 3:31 am
mhz
Looking good
01/15/2013 12:53 am
Level 40 : Master Mountaineer
COOPERx223x
Wow. As it is, it's absolutely fantastic. Kudos to you, and +1 diamond.
01/15/2013 12:28 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Dragon
Eternal_Edge
From the images you have right now I think it looks awesome! I like the details and I think that the colors are perfect for your build.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome