Detail vs Scale for Replica Maps

Hans4625's Avatar Hans462511/15/19 6:13 pm
1 emeralds 95
Hi, all! I just created my PMC account so I can seek feedback and support for one of my greatest artistic ambitions:

A Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Minecraft Map!

Hockeymikey worked on a project like this a few years back, but it's since been abandoned. While he and his team did a fabulous job, I would like the chance to create my own interpretation of the world.

I've tried to create some of my own builds (mostly parts of Rogeuport, Glitzville, and the Excess Express). So far, I've been focused on building the map exactly to the scale of the original game. This creates some issues, however, when adding small details inside the buildlings/rooms.

In my Glitzville build, for example, I designed Grubba's office in a 7x7 room, which makes sense with the scale of the original game (I wish I could attach a picture from TTYD, but I don't want to mess with any copyright infringement). Then, when I tried to add Grubba's desk, the plants, and the sofa, it felt extremely cramped. This leads me to believe that there's some inverse relationship between detail and scale.

Mainly, my question is: How do I manage the trade-off between detail and (scale) accuracy? I'd like to know if there's some way I can have both, or if I have to sacrifice one for the other. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Hans

P.S. I will upload a save file once I feel like my Glitzville map is ready to share.
Hans4625
Level 1 : New Miner