How does this look? (Medieval Cottage)

TheReadyBoys's Avatar TheReadyBoys1/22/14 7:47 am
1/28/2014 2:06 am
TrustworthyInspector's Avatar TrustworthyInspector
It could use some more detail, sure. But where? Anything I should add? I have a few ideas in my head right now, but do you have any?

Sorry if the image is not great. Thanks for any suggestions!
TheReadyBoys
Level 40 : Master Farmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/28/2014 2:06 am
Level 25 : Expert Miner
TrustworthyInspector
Great! Was a texture pack used :e
01/26/2014 1:47 pm
Level 21 : Expert Modder
Creeper_Modder
Not bad but i would love to see it without the texture pack
01/26/2014 1:42 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
PimpedBlock
Yeah, add abit detail
01/25/2014 6:37 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
TrickNick44
You could at a sort of roof design, like on a lot of Elvish houses and Nordic houses for RG's and stuff like that. Just search it on Bing or Google there will be loads of pics of minecraft builds. But another thing is you could add stables, a barn, or some extra little buildings around the area. Gravel paths look great too, especially with mossy cobble and cobble mixed in. Some benches would be nice, maybe under a small or large custom built tree. Just a bunch of ideas for exterior design. Inside pictures would be great, but a tip is pots work well as cups and carpets as "paper". Levers as those old-time pens. Hope this helps:D
01/25/2014 6:21 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
Try adding some randomization and variation in materials.
I've found that throwing in regular stone brick in around the walls and using a different material for the foundations can add some nice variety. You should also add a bit of depth to it- many of the surfaces look a bit flat at the moment.

And remember, glass was particularly expensive in medieval times, and assuming that the person living there was a poor farmer/peasant, cutting it out or replacing it with other materials (fences, etc.) could go well for realism, while keeping it and surrounding it with other details might push it towards a more fantasy-style feel.

For pathways, determine where you want the people to walk from place to place and set down a path material, and determine where people would just cut across to make a trip shorter (say it's raining or they just need to run home or to a farm for some reason) and make less-well defined pathways through those areas.

For detail, you could add the classic stack of logs (not quite a classic, but I'm calling it that anyways), a wagon, a random awning (actually works better in a merchant town setting) or something can make it look more lived-in. Breaking up a stone wall and replacing some of it with mossy stone wall or other cobblestone elements can make it feel less well-kept while adding grain storage in some form (hay bales) and expanding the farm would make it feel more agriculturally-based.

Also, a tip for the future (you've already done it fairly well here) - using more rustic materials for houses of people with lower socioeconomic status can convey poverty well.
01/25/2014 6:38 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
TrickNick44
You know your stuff!
01/23/2014 8:40 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Pokemon
CvilleTroop33
It looks good but there are some little details you missed.
01/22/2014 2:13 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Lumberjack
WelcomeToAmania
It looks great! Thats all I can really say.
01/22/2014 12:27 pm
Level 40 : Master Artist
dakota_485
It'd be great if it wasn't at nighttime or if it had some lights around the plot. Nonetheless, its still a good build.
01/22/2014 11:50 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
Maybe add in some more small details like flower pots and fences/stairs onto the exterior.
01/22/2014 11:30 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
PimpedBlock
Looks pretty nice!
01/22/2014 10:06 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Architect
Dragonix12
Well, it looks okay, but I am really good at building midieval, especially houses, and it seems that you could add some more tiny details, not sure if it will spring it up a little but you could add some trap doors on the side of the windows, maybe some slabs or stair design on the bottom of the walls. Could make a better roof design also, but other than that, it looks fine. As people said before, you can take a screenshot during the day with the default texture pack so people can see it better
01/22/2014 1:25 pm
Level 40 : Master Farmer
TheReadyBoys
Will do. And yes I will post some better pictures soon.
01/22/2014 10:01 am
Level 37 : Artisan Blacksmith
TheUltimateArchitect
Looks really nice.
01/22/2014 8:20 am
Level 43 : Master Ninja
Darkflame2050
Looks nice, it's just kinda hard to see at night.
01/22/2014 7:56 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
TheVoidNet
It'd be much more easier if you'd take some photos with the default texture pack as well as your original photos.
01/22/2014 7:57 am
Level 27 : Expert Toast
zoossrocks
Agreed
01/23/2014 8:56 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Lumberjack
tylermark2001
same and it is hard to see at night
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com