Using a .OBJ file in a resource pack?

ProfTechnic's Avatar ProfTechnic5/31/21 3:52 pm
2 emeralds 2.5k 5
5/31/2021 7:04 pm
HuoKnight's Avatar HuoKnight
I made a fox model, but due to the need to be able to rotate things on more than 1 axis at a time, I used .OBJ. But now I don't know how to actually use that file with a resource pack, or if it's even possible?

TL;DR:
Can you use .OBJ models in resource packs? If so, how?
ProfTechnic
Level 57 : Grandmaster Procrastinator

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2021 4:17 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Wizard
__SK__
For my knowledge, .json's are what works (never been able to use .obj's). But if you use Optifine, your fox model can be custom and converted to .jem's.

Some reference, I have been reading about 'obj's (but have not done it yet):

Github

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
It explains about,

Creating your own resourcepack

Put your .obj and .mtl file into assets/mcobj/models/<block/item>/ folder.
The models must be exported with the Triangulate Faces option to work correctly.
Create your JSON model and mark your .obj file as parent: "parent": "mcobj:<block/item>/<your obj>.obj"
You can put fallback model as <your obj>.obj.json if mcobj is not installed.
Tinting: Set your material name to: <name>#tint<index>
You can use notepad on the exported .obj and .mtl file or your 3D editor of choice. Most blocks use tint index 0. (grass#tint0)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Last update was 10 months ago)

I don't understand it yet, but hope it helps
05/31/2021 5:14 pm
ProfTechnic
I'm sorry but I don't understand any of this, I don't even have the option of export options, and I'm assuming that's what's breaking it rn.
05/31/2021 6:22 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Mlem Mlem Bat
HuoKnight
In blockbench, you have to select "java block/item" model, many people make the mistake of choosing "generic model". If you made this mistake, then on your model under the file tab, select convert model, and select "java block/item" (don't remember the exact name). Then you should have the option to export as a .json file.
05/31/2021 6:30 pm
ProfTechnic
I cannot convert the .OBJ into a .JSON because if I do so, it will lose the multiple rotations because the default Minecraft model doesn't allow multiple rotations on different axis.
05/31/2021 7:04 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Mlem Mlem Bat
HuoKnight
well, if its not a default minecraft model, it will not work in minecraft, so exporting is not the problem.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome