Dessert Contest Results (overdue lol)

RystaButAteASock's Avatar RystaButAteASock10/2/20 11:54 am history
10 emeralds 199 20
10/2/2020 5:31 pm
anonpmc2713049's Avatar anonpmc2713049
My Results
Hello everyone! You guys each did super well and I am so proud of all of you! All these skins are amazing and we got so many entries! If you are confused by the results PM me!

Also this is supposed to be constructive criticism so if you don’t do well with that kind of thing, you don’t have to read it but I would really appreciate it if you did.

Shading: 49/50

Originality: 30/30

Theme Relevance: 20/20

This makes my eyes happy. This is honestly an amazing skin. Who says a lot going on is a bad thing? I think the two cakes you choose literally go perfectly together. I could not ask for more. Well done! You really must’ve poured heart and soul into making this skin the best it could be. This was an amazing idea!

Shading: 48/50

I love this. I also love that you incorporated a lot of stuff that wasn’t in anyone else’s entries. Including Flan which was on the banner for the contest. The hair is so cute and if I saw someone with that hair I would probably hug them and then walk away. The overalls really go with the skin and I am honestly happy you entered twice cause if you hadn’t I wouldn’t get to see these two amazing skins!

Originality: 25/30

The shading on this skin is amazing. I also like the pig tails and the legs. The colors are great together and the red is really cool, especially with the cherry. The outfit is so cool aaa. Anyways, I really like this skin and I think you should keep up the good work.

Shading: 41/50

This is actually the definition of adorable. I love this so much aaaa! The colors kinda remind me of an older time I guess? Kinda like an old western movie girl? If that makes sense? Welp anyways I kinda love that style and it fits well with the dessert!

Shading: 50/50

Originality: 20/30

This skin is amazing and really makes me hungry. Cakes are very well known in the dessert community and I wish you spread out a bit more but honestly you really captured a cake girl. The little bow is adorable, I must say.

This kinda scares me but at the same time is amazing. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it ate me for dessert. Honestly a really cool skin. The sprinkles are cool too.

Shading:48/50

Originality:20/30

I really like this and the splat of chocolate was a nice touch! You used a lot of colors that play very nicely! The hair color could be a tad light but otherwise it’s great!

Shading: 40/50

Theme Relevance: 17/20

An epically amazing skin. The candy cane socks were a nice touch. Much more edible than the sock I ate. (Help. Me.) I do wish it was more drippy I guess? I don’t know if that makes sense, when I think of ice cream, I think of how fast it melts and how it will already be soup by the time I scoop it. I just think it would make the skin look more fun! I hope that makes sense. Other than that, awesome skin you have presented today! (Actually like last month but uhh)(more then a month now-)

Shading: 37/50

Theme Relevance: 19/20

This is amazing. I didn’t know they came in lemon. Anyways, really cool skin. For the shading, maybe choose a spot where the light is coming from so you can make things not in that spot a little darker. Otherwise awesome!

Shading: 39/50

Originality: 26/30

It’s pretty easy to tell what this is. Neapolitan ice cream. The rest of the body being a cone is cool but I do wish there was more than just that. This is a really cool skin, I just wish there was more to it!

Shading: 30/50

I really like the hair and the colors of the socks and shoes. By first glance I can almost tell what everything is and the description helped with that. This is a fun and playful skin to look at.

Theme Relevance: 19/20

69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I love this and I really think the strawberry was a nice touch, especially since I kept mentioning strawberries in my examples (sorry, I was hungry for strawberries at the time) If she wasn’t a person I would eat her, but since she is a person I probably shouldn’t. Overall this skin is awesome. The outfit is a pretty well used (I guess you would say) outfit, meaning it’s worn by a lot of people but it looks good on her!

Shading: 20/50

Beautiful. That’s all I have to say.

Shading: 10/50

This is a cool skin, though I would recommend using a different brush. The noise brush is not a quick way out of shading. I’d say try out different styles and then make your own. There are a lot of styles you could try out that would make your skins amazing! If you were trying for a cake texture instead of shading, maybe look at some more pictures of cakes. Anyways I think it has lots of potential and someday your skins may be the best on pmc, who knows?

Shading: 0/50

Originality: 10/30

Theme Relevance: 0/20

It’s very hard to tell what it is without being told. Dairy milk isn’t really a dessert, but it’s a nice thing to tide you over after eating cookies.

All these skins were amazing and I loved them all. You guys did amazing, and I didn’t even expect one entry so 15 entries was a surprise for me! Thank you guys so much! I love you guys! :D

Parine's Results
Congrats to the winners and finalists! Thank you all for participating and I would like to say something to every one of these creators!
Keep skinning!! I believe every last one of you has potential and all you need to do to continue improving is to use your creativity actively and constantly create more content! If you have any questions or want further analysis of your skins, please shoot me a PM!

disclaimer** if you don't want to hear my personal thoughts on your entry, do NOT read the description below your skin. I spoke about what I liked about the skin and what I think you should improve upon. In no way am I trying to tear anyone down or discredit their work. I am simply trying to extend my knowledge and allow others to see what I see when I look at the skins. Cancel me if you must, but these are just my opinions!

Here are all of the entries, listed from first to fourteenth:

Hi! Wonderful job, truly. I love how you closely referenced the image of unique desserts! The skin clearly has immense detail and thought poured into it, as a lot of colors, designs, and clothing were incorporated. My only critique is that you hue shift more with the brown skin tone. Hue-shifting that color is quite challenging, but you can't lose the feeling of blocky shading and cool shadows anywhere throughout the skin. Consistency all through the skin is key! Nevertheless, I adore the rainbows everywhere.

Shading: 45/50
I am aware that this skin was also made by the first place user, and it was also convenient that this skin snagged the number 2 spot! I really like how well you incorporate the reference desserts into your designs! Although, the shading and diversity of this skin are less than your other entry, in my opinion. I believe that you need to utilize hue-shifting in your palettes a lot more to give your skin some more pizzazz! Other than that, the use of the outer layer and overall theme relevance are exceptional.

Shading: 47/50
Originality: 24/30
Well done! I really do like this skin! The brown palettes really do remind me of delicious chocolate! The skin is overall, very pretty. Although, your palettes lack hue-shifting and seem to not have a lot of shifting of any sort. Typically, when I make my palettes, I feel like I'm doing too much and I feel that it'll look too crazy, but that isn't the case! You should go wild, give the browns and blondes cooler shadows and warmer highlights-- let yourself experiment!!!! Other than that, the outfit is adorable and the second-place spot is very well deserved!

Shading: 40/50
This skin is very incredible! I realllllly like the design! I see a monster when I look at it, with teeth in the chocolate, but I am not entirely sure if that's what you wanted. You need to write a more detailed description to really make the viewer go, "oh okay that is really cool." OR, just make the skin more apparent of what you are trying to achieve! The pink of the arm is so NOT pink, I didn't realize it was Neapolitan. So maybe make the pink more pink, instead of flesh-colored, and you have me sold. The sprinkles work nicely.

Shading: 45/50
Originality: 24/30
This is very pretty! The colors work so well together. I really do enjoy this skin and can see someone wearing it in-game! Although, this is a contest! If you aim to truly top the charts of the contests you enter, you need to be different and wow the judges! I'm not saying that your entry isn't wonderful! I'm saying that a skin that has very simple details may not be what the judges are looking for. Throw more things into your design! Let loose! Challenge yourself x)

Shading: 37/50
Originality: 28/30
This is very neat! I adore the outfit, accessories, and hair so very much! It's very adorable and really fits the theme!!!! I think you did PERFECTLY in that aspect! In my opinion, all you need to improve on is your palettes! I know in your editor it may seem like you're doing loads of shading, but truly, when I look at the skin in 2D on PMC, it seems to have next to nothing. You need to hue-shift and change the value so much more! You're on the right track for the hair, now do that for the rest of the skin!

Shading: 41/50
Hi! This skin is very nice. I do think you hit the nail on the head when it came to theme relevance, although the "Neapolitan" theme is nothing new or original. It's kind of boring to see over and over again. Don't get me wrong, wowing the judges with how well three different tones of hair work together is definitely a great feeling and a nice goal, but many other people have that goal. Try doing some research on the topic and deciding what desserts you like the most! I personally love beignets and carrot cake! Also, the detailing with the layers and shading seem to get me a bit lost? It may just be how you shade, but I think the simplicity of your palettes results in areas of the skin to seem meshed or thrown together. When skins look cohesive, they look incredible. I really recommend you personalize things! Be individual and yourself! Nevertheless, I adore the complexity of the outfit you created! It really is original.

Shading: 32/50
Originality: 22/30
I love this outfit! It's adorable and I really don't see it very much! The chocolate syrup on her deliciously pink hair is wonderful! But I think you need to spend a lot more time on shading things other than the hair. The hair looks great!, but there is next to no shading anywhere else on the skin.

Shading: 28/50
Originality: 25/30
I thought this skin was pretty cool! Your chocolate colors felt very cohesive and nice. Although, if you're just starting out, I understand this skin. But, if you want to start improving, you're going to have to start making things on your own. It's quite obvious you took this skin from a base, or at least referenced someone else's skin. Also, using the noise tool to shade is NOT going to work if you want to improve. Learning to skin, or learning to do any art related skill, is accepting that you're going to have to work hard and put in the time and dedication to perfecting your artwork. You need to understand that it's not going to be easy and your first pieces may not be as good as you would like them to be, or as good as the skinners you idolize. And that's okay! All it takes is time and practice.

Shading: 20/50
Originality: 26/30
This skin is super cute. I love the description! I like those flavors too x) However, let's take a step back and try to imagine this person in real life. Imagine this shading on someone's vest. Try to shade from the outside of the body to the inside. It makes the skin 10x more appealing! Be sure to shade every part of the skin as well! Also, when I saw imagine this in real life, I don't mean that Minecraft skins always have to be realistic, I just mean that the shading needs to be of-Earth and needs to show that there is a light source and that there are dark areas and light areas of a skin. Incorporating realism into skinning makes skins so much better, trust me. Just keep working and expanding your knowledge and you'll improve in no time. You and I are both your biggest fans x)

Originality: 16/30
Theme Relevance: 15/20
I do like this skin! The peppermint socks are adorable! And the minty green sweater is very pretty, and I'm very happy you gave the sweater a nice angle off of the shoulder. I feel like this skin is pretty cohesive and doesn't leave me confused or unhappy. Although, the skin does need more shading! I think you should try out making palettes of different colors, practicing hue shifting, and value shifting! They truly make a skin so much better. Also, I understand you aren't a professional, but things in real life DO have gravity, and weight. This sweater WOULD be heavy and is clearly baggy, which means that the shading would be slightly angled horizontally towards the spots that are heavy and bag and vertical in areas that don't. The more you practice to skin and understand what you're skinning instead of just shading everything the same, the better you'll become, and the faster you'll grow! I'll be dying my hair like this now bye xoxoxo

Originality: 13/30
This skin is very cute! I like the browns replicating the chocolate, and the strawberry red is a nice touch. However, the outfit is what throws me off a little. I think that it's so-called, "Basic"? It has jeans with rips, sneakers, a sweater with stripes, a belt, blonde hair, and a beanie. I think for a contest that has a theme of Dessert, you'd attempt to incorporate a dessert more than just the colors of one. Allow your creativity to roam! You aren't confined to what outfits would look like in real life! These are Minecraft skins and you can add whatever you please to these pixels. If you're having trouble with outfits, as I do, roam Pinterest or even Instagram for outfit inspiration! Google if you have to! And be sure to go a little crazier with the palettes! Hue shifting and value shifting aren't going to bite, give it a try and if you don't like it, don't post it! Keep trying and everything will work itself out.

Shading: 17/50
Originality: 22/30
I'm not sure anyone else did icecream, so kudos to you! But, I'm not entirely sure what this black opacity jumble is.. I don't want to speak much about it but I recommend staying away from just going crazy with different tools in your editor and make every decision you make in a skin on purpose.

Shading: 24/50
Originality: 10/30
Um, yes. I really like this idea of pancakes, or layers of a cake, if that's what you were attempting. If you expect the judges and your viewers to know exactly what is going on, leave a much more detailed description and maybe even a reference image you used to create the skin! BUT! The Neapolitan theme, as I've mentioned before, is very overused! It IS a very pretty thing to do when the theme is Dessert, but this contest, like all others, require originality and execution! The theme is just quite frankly, not original and there is next to no shading on the entire body of the skin. To improve your skinning, you must challenge yourself. Start shading things. Starting practicing your palettes. Start letting your creativity influence your outfit choices and skin making. The only way to improve is to understand what needs to be done and actually doing those things.

Shading: 0/50
Originality: 3/30
Theme Relevance: 0/20
I don't even know what this is so, sorry. Your description didn't explain anything and I couldn't assume what anything was from the skin so, here we are.

If you're reading this, thank you!!! It means a lot for you to have made it this far and I am honored to have judged this contest for everyone! Again, this is good-intentioned criticisms and nothing more. I want everyone to understand what I am thinking of their skins, and I pray that my words will better them as a skinner! If you've only read your section, be sure to read all of it and see if you learn anything new!!!

Birbs Results
first off i just want to apologize to the other judges for taking so long. they were super patient and i'm really grateful that they were as patient as they were. thank you for putting up with me taking forever, and again, i'm really sorry.

second off, these are all going to be based off of my honest opinion, so if you got a lower score from me than one of the other judges, no hard feelings, but i wasn't as in to your skin as they were. that doesn't mean you're any less of a winner, though, as you're all winners in my book! :D

shading: 42/50

originality: 25/30

theme relevance: 20/20

i honestly really like this skin quite a bit! if i had to name one negative about this skin, that would be the fact that i personally thought that there wasn't enough aspects of the second cake that was mentioned in the description of this skin. i would have loved to have seen some bits of the more vibrant, colorful candy that was shown on the top of the second cake, used on this skin, and not just the pink frosting/glaze from cake #2 as a skirt. other than that though, i really love this skin!

shading: 40/50

i think this skin fits the theme PERFECTLY! i really love the attention to detail on this skin! things like the cherry bow and the neapolitan hair take this skin to the next level! my main complaint here is actually not with the dessert aspect, but the human aspect of the skin. i personally think the shading on the actual skin, like the bits where shadows are clearly intended (such as in between the legs, or the shadowing on the face because of the hair) just look kinda off in my opinion.

here's a tip for people doing skin shadows: do NOT just darken the original color. i like to take the original skin color and either warm it up + darken it or cool it down + darken depending on the color. say you're making a human, you would make the shadows warmer, whereas say you're making an alien with green skin, you would cool down the shadows a little bit.

other than the shadows, this skin is pretty much flawless in my opinion! amazing!

shading: 28/50

originality: 30/30

this skin is creative as HECK, dude! i love the fact that they turned a seemingly normal desert into a terrifying monster! honestly, my only real complaint here is i found the style of shading too simple and not thought out as well as i would have liked, and that is why it is not first place in my book. overall i really love this skin but i would have loved to have seen some more advanced shading. this skin rocks!

shading: 32/50

the concept of this skin is absolutely awesome! i really love the addition of the bubblegum on the mouth and i found that really creative! however, i personally found the shading to be nothing out of the ordinary and i would have loved to have seen more vibrant colors incorporated in the shading of the clothing. other than that though, fantastic skin!

shading: 30/50

honestly, this skin is just super fun to look at! it makes my eyes happy. :)

my only real complaint here is, again, simplistic shading. i would have loved to have seen a more detailed, and perhaps maybe even a more vibrant color to this, especially in things like the skin tone and the hair. other than that, though, i absolutely adore this skin! amazing!

shading: 23/50

originality: 20/30

theme relevance: 17/20

this is nice. it’s a cute, appealing skin that works well, i guess? the shading is nothing out of the ordinary and the design choices are fine, and heck, this outfit would freakin’ rock in the real world. it works well as both a candy skin and a realistic skin. this would make an awesome cosplay, ngl.

shading: 20/50

originality: 20/30

theme relevance: 15/20

the things i really like about this skin are the chocolate in the hair and the hair itself, but other than that i don't really see what they were going for. the shading is fine, but nothing out of the ordinary.

shading: 30/50

originality: 15/30

theme relevance: 5/20

i don't really get what this is supposed to be, and that's a big issue. it just looks like a girl in a nightgown with slippers. the shading is decent, but other than that i don't really see how this is desert related at all.

shading: 15/50

theme relevance: 10/20

it’s fine, but i don’t really see how this relates to brownies? this looks like a normal teen skin to me, which is not a bad thing, but it’s no brownie by any means.

shading: 10/50

theme relevance: 15/20

while this fits the theme better than the skin above, the shading is a little bit of a step down in complexity. however, it fits the theme much better. it was hard to decide which one was better so they’ve got the same score in my book. :)

shading: 15/50

originality: 10/30

the hair is nice, and fits the neapolitan theme, but that onesie? eehhh… it looks lazily made and more of an afterthought than anything. i haven’t seen too many onesies that look like that in my life.

shading: 10/50

i mean, i guess i can kinda see how this could be a popsicle, but at first glance that wasn’t that clear.

shading: 5/50

i can’t tell if the use of the opacity tool was meant to be shading or if it’s just there for chaotic effect, and that kinda bothers me.

shading: 1/50

originality: 5/30

theme relevance: 4/20

i mean, i get how the noise tool could give off the appearance of a cake, but there are so many better ways to do it. the shading on the sides is really off-putting too and it takes away from the theme even more in my opinion.

shading: 0/50

originality: 0/50

theme relevance: 0/50

what.

anyways that’s about all i have to say for that! you all did great! bravo! :D

With that, here are the results!

1st Place
Queen Of Cakes and Sweet Child both by Hikari-Chan
2nd Place
(Woah! Is that Wb’s skin I see?)
Back When Everything Was Sweet by: WbMystery :eyes:
3rd Place
(Oh no! A tie!)
Tiramisu by: SpindleCloud and Neapolitan fiend by: UglyPerson

Participants:
Creative_Kylees Entry
Cream Puff
SWEETS
ᗪEᔕEᖇT
Pop Sycle
Neapolitan in a onesie
PersonWhoPlaysMinecraft’s Entry
I Scream

Chocolate layer cake boy
Dairy Milk

Special Socks (if you mentioned the word s o c k in your description you got this):
xShadowStarx (rip ;w;)
Artemis-
WbMystery
Hakari-Chan (they said sock in the update logs)

I’d like to thank the other judges, Parine and The Almighty Birb, for bearing with me and finishing this up. Go check them out, they are amazing.
RystaButAteASock
Level 32 : Artisan Waffle