Different Skinning Styles

BobbyJones's Avatar BobbyJones8/27/13 3:15 pm
9/7/2013 9:13 pm
rarias's Avatar rarias
Well, I was just browsing through the members section and I came across something that intrigued me.

It seems that a lot of members who make simplistic, hardly noticeable shading on teen skins/other skins have more subscribers than people who have contrasted, detailed shading.

Now, obviously this isn't true with everyone but the majority of people who make those barely-shaded skins seem to have on average more subscribers than others who make a variety of contrasted skins.

I'm not flaming, I honestly just want to know what more people on this site prefer. If more people like the simple, barely shaded skins then it would explain that. I prefer detailed contrasted skins so I'm a bit confused because I thought that people liked detailed original skins more than simple. teen-ish skins.

So yeah, no hate here, I just want to see what people like more.

Poll ended 09/03/2013 3:15 pm.

BobbyJones
Level 40 : Master Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/07/2013 9:13 pm
Level 24 : Expert Taco
rarias
I'm a sucker for glowy looking skins!
09/07/2013 8:08 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Scribe
Mainstream_Knot
For my shading I usually go from dark to light. It gives it almost too
much contrast. Perhaps I shall try some other styles. Dunno.
08/30/2013 7:40 pm
Level 25 : Expert Pony
Kfcnyancat
Although I don't like the contrasted, detailed shading, I appreciate it for effort, and I appreciate the fact that everyone can have their own different tastes in skins.
I also like quite a few of them (probably because I don't call "bad skin" just because I don't like the shading.)
It's certainly better than fake shading.
08/30/2013 10:00 am
Level 29 : Expert Taco
MarcTheGreat88
Me?
08/30/2013 9:58 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Artist
robepriority
Calm down.
09/07/2013 8:01 pm
BobbyJones
I'm actually quite calm but thank you for your concern.
08/30/2013 9:54 am
Level 29 : Expert Taco
MarcTheGreat88
I prefer skins that are pretty shaded, enough that you can tell, and not ones that are not shaded at all or overly shaded. Just my opinion though.
08/30/2013 2:56 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Geek
OneSidedBattle
I use a mix of both styles. Light shading for depth and hard shading for shapes and detail. ie. http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/the-hunter-2406315/ and http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/193 ... r-2408914/
08/30/2013 2:47 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Meme
peytonisgreat
I like all styles if they are done well. The lower contrasted style is one of the hardest to do well, and I only know of a select few members who are really good at it.
08/28/2013 7:00 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Artist
CreeperX01
I guess you can say I'm kind of in the middle. I don't do only one color each part of the skin but I don't do heavy shading because I have to do each pixel individually. intresting topic to discus, based on other peoples individual 'style'
08/28/2013 1:35 am
Level 41 : Master Artist
Ender_Eely
I tend to prefer the simple shading style. Mostly because I suck at palettes and stuff.
08/27/2013 8:39 pm
Level 48 : Master Narwhal
DMB2121
I usually shade inwards and outwards. I've got the most complicated style ever xD
08/27/2013 8:35 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
CloudWing
My personal skin is unshaded (look at my avatar if you want an idea of what it is) but I honestly don't care. I make my own skins.(I drew my avatar too.) You can't go to a skin shop for that level of personalization. In my opinion, bad shading is worse than no shading at all. Don't flame me, I'm entitled to my opinions.
08/27/2013 7:57 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Prince
MayuriYandere
er what?
I get about the hard shading but where does the teen skin fall into place? also subscribers don't matter buddy. I don't care if i have 50, 300 or none. as long as i am happy and i feel like i put my effort into skins i do not care how many subscribers i have. I also don't care if it is shaded or not as long as i like it and feel satisfied with it. now i like shaded detailed skins but that doesn't mean i'm going to hate on someone who doesn't make detailed shaded skins. we all once started out with Bad unshaded skins so we should all give them some slack.
08/28/2013 6:09 pm
BobbyJones
I know subscribers don't matter and don't always reflect your skill, however subscribers mean that more people are interested in your work and want to see more of it. This has nothing to do with teen skins other than most teen skins have the 'barely shaded' style.

I want to see which shading style people prefer because I've seen that people who do the 'hardly shaded, cute teen-sish skins' have more subscribers than people who make contrasted, detailed shading.

However, my survey is showing that more people prefer detailed, contrasted shading so I am still confused as to why people who do 'light, barely shaded skins' have more subscribers.

No need to be so agitated 'buddy', no one here should be hating on different shading styles I just made a poll to see which style people prefer. People were supposed to come here and vote, but you decided that you should yell at me instead.
08/28/2013 6:19 pm
MayuriYandere
i didn't flame just stating my opinion thanks also you are saying the poll is about which style people prefer then you say something about you don't get why teen skins have more subs and why most of them are unshaded. That is not relevant so therefore i have the right to say that it is not relevant. If i wanted to yell at you don't you think i would have caps spammed?
08/27/2013 8:32 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Spelunker
KirbySteaks
I shudder looking back at my first skins. I shaded but not well. Also, I didn't take into consideration that pants start before arms end, so they are not all that proportionate. Someday I will fix them.
08/27/2013 8:34 pm
MayuriYandere
i know that feel.. god i get nightmares looking at my first skin ._.
08/27/2013 7:12 pm
Level 43 : Master Bunny
IamPetz
I like well made skins. By well made, I mean original skins with noticeable effort put into shading and design. And for character skins, I prefer them to be accurate.

Personally, my skinning style is the "simple, hardly noticeable shading" as I prefer cute and bright skins. However, I'd like to add that although it looks simple, it's actually quite tedious because I use more shades to make the colours blend. For each skin in my series, I usually spend an hour+ on shading hair alone (since I like developing new hair shading styles).
08/27/2013 5:12 pm
Level 23 : Expert Miner
Emma5000
I'd say something in-between the two options.
08/27/2013 4:59 pm
Level 23 : Expert Skinner
TheCookiemob29
I feel like a noob for choosing simple because i don't know how to shade ><'
08/27/2013 4:41 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Spelunker
KirbySteaks
I llike to make skins based off of tv characters, so I usually try to match the style of the original character with some of my own style mixed in, which usually ends up somewhere in the middle ground.

For example:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/vas ... e-2054251/

I wouldn't compare it to the super contrasted ones but it isn't lacking either.
Also some of the super shaded ones have weird shading that just looks like lines and is the same on every one of the skins the person makes. I don't like that along with hardly shaded ones.
08/27/2013 4:02 pm
Level 22 : Expert Grump
Arty
Minecraft skins aren't supposed to look particularly realistic.
There are many styles and the whole point of a lot of those styles that have gotten popular is to showcase a technique and colours used. The funny thing is, the shading is always realistic, and the places where these skinners put the shadows or highlights is always the right place, just exaggerated in some way.
Paddy, Peytonisgreat etc. are more simplistic or cartoony skinners. I know it's hard to compare these two as their styles are visibly different, but their aim is to not get every single pixel to look as though it is 'realism', yet they still shade in the right places.
Leostereo is another example of someone on the opposite spectrum. He uses a very contrasted palette, and a more realistic feel to his shading.

These styles are unique, but what I like about them is the amount of skill and time they take to do. Blocky skins or skins with no shading at all however do not require this time and effort, so as a result, look rather minuscule in comparison. That's why, I'm voting for the second option.
08/27/2013 3:59 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Ninja
HeroGuy426
I like shaded skins more, but not too contrasted. Like how I made my skins. Sadly, I kinda quit because 1.) I found a server called Dungeon Realms and it's EPIC! and 2.) I was making shaded skins, and I go look on the new skins. And then I see an unshaded teen skin or an unshaded robot or steve skin and it has more views and downloads and diamonds and favorites than mine.
08/27/2013 3:35 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
aaaapppsapapppppp
I love the blocky shading style, but I also like the style with a good amount of contrast. Some skins do look good without all the contrast, though.
08/27/2013 3:29 pm
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
I like shading hard, not SUPER hard but hard enough that you can see it.
08/27/2013 3:27 pm
Kfcnyancat
I like the blocky, subtle shading, because large amounts of contrast look too shiny to me. It's one thing for robots/metal armor, but HUMAN SKIN AND CLOTHES AREN'T THAT SHINY!
In fact, I like un-shaded better than huge contrast.
Oh crap, I've started a flame war with idiots who think I have to like large contrast better because it takes more effort!
08/27/2013 3:32 pm
BobbyJones
Unshaded skins suck.
They look like no effort was put in, contrasted skin are definitely better than unshaded.

PS it's a bit rude to call people idiots because they have a different opinion than you.
09/07/2013 8:06 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Button Pusher
Lucky_Moon1
It's a bit rude to just flat out say 'unshaded skins suck.'
Now beofre I go and start some kind of hate-war, I know you were voicing your opinion, but maybe it would be nicer to say something besides suck? And what if your an amature skin maker like me? I don't know how to shade.

Anyway I like unshaded-justenoughshadingitsnoticable skins.
08/27/2013 3:41 pm
Kfcnyancat
No, these people want to FORCE me to agree.
08/27/2013 3:51 pm
BobbyJones
We're not forcing you to agree between barely-shaded/contrasted, but if you say that you think un-shaded skins are better than skins with contrast then basically you are saying that anyone that spends hours shading a skin should just not shade it at all because it looks better.

Do you really want to see a bunch of unshaded skins on PMC?
08/27/2013 4:02 pm
Kfcnyancat
No, I'm not talking about you, flaming toward me because of my opinions on this happened on a previous thread.
That said, if the unshaded skins are well-designed, I'd like to see them.
Remember, just because I don't like them, doesn't mean others can't. It's good that there are skins out there that I don't like because others do.
08/27/2013 3:44 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Taco
Mgreat
Well, I wouldn't say force, but you asked for feedback, and they gave it.
08/27/2013 3:19 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Meme
skywalker3313
I prefer contrasted detailed shading as well but there are skins that look nice with the simple, hardly shaded style.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome