Skinning Realization: How is this NOT popular?!

_Nyarlathotep__'s Avatar _Nyarlathotep__11/27/14 10:54 pm
1 emeralds 2.8k 9
11/30/2014 8:51 am
Crescendo's Avatar Crescendo
So lately, I've been tinkering around and have realized that the new skinning format has opened a lot of new doors for the skinning community! Including a case in which things like the below are possible:
(For some reason, the images won't resize, so I can only provide the link until I fix it)
http://imgur.com/Ni6S1yP,qEyUQBz,FrVYmQN#0

After discovering THIS skin, I fooled around and experimented myself. I came up with several interesting incidents.

My first attempt was a Gordon Freeman piece. Using THIS and THIS , two works by Creeper Crafter_2013. I managed to stitch the HEV suit as the "armor" portion of the skin, leaving the Lab Coat as the base. Allowing for switchability!

Next, I stitched together DOOMGuy, with removable armor and helmet to relive the old DOS days. I used the underlayer of THIS by Ulltimate_Chimera and stitched THIS by DarkySouls as the armor layer. And the result was what you see at the top of the post.

All that aside, I feel like this use of the new skin format hasn't been used and abused like it properly should.
I truly have seen little of this across the internet, and would love to see it blossom!

/End rant.
_Nyarlathotep__
Level 26 : Expert Button Pusher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/30/2014 8:51 am
Level 81 : Elite Witch
Crescendo
Jex_Infinite
Konan_Chanx
My friend made a coat for his Edward Elric skin and it works really well c: of course you have to put a lot of effort and shading into two layers so they take longer to make (also sometimes when making skins I never really find that the 1.8 layer is necessary) so it's probably due to stylistic choice as well ^^

Can we have a link for that skin?
I think that 1.8 layer should mainly be used for extra details and to make the skin resemble the source material (if any).

I forgot to check this ages ago srry- afraid he hasn't posted it anywhere he just keeps the skin to himself xD
11/28/2014 6:16 pm
Level 82 : Elite Technomancer
Drazile
I've made two skins with this gimmick; spooky stan and FEAR.
I've also been thinking about doing an iron man skin with removable suit.
11/28/2014 6:56 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
Konan_Chanx
My friend made a coat for his Edward Elric skin and it works really well c: of course you have to put a lot of effort and shading into two layers so they take longer to make (also sometimes when making skins I never really find that the 1.8 layer is necessary) so it's probably due to stylistic choice as well ^^

Can we have a link for that skin?
I think that 1.8 layer should mainly be used for extra details and to make the skin resemble the source material (if any).
11/27/2014 11:56 pm
_Nyarlathotep__
For some reason, the characters I used look fine. Because their outer layer is an actual armor. And they don't look as bad in-game as they do in something like MCSkin3D. I've already made a decent looking Samus (Might recolour the armor), and I'm working on the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers lineup as we speak. And again, they look pretty snazzy in-game compared to outside the game.
11/28/2014 2:57 am
Level 81 : Elite Witch
Crescendo
It's true, in game the layers flatten much closer to the body. In preview the skins appear much wider and the layers more elevated from the real skin (not sure why though- and this is on the skin program I use not sure if it's the same on other ones)

11/27/2014 11:29 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
It's probably not popular due to it looking ugly a lot of the time. Your character will look bloated.

That said, some people have managed to have completely removable coats, and have made it work well.

The trick is to make the skin look good in both modes, rather than weird in both. I've tried, but failed, resulting in the skin being bloated and silly.
11/27/2014 11:18 pm
_Nyarlathotep__
It fascinates me because I first saw it when the youtuber BdoubleO100 used it on one of his Mindcrack episodes. Maybe this is a perfect reason to go to 1.8 already!
11/27/2014 11:04 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
xPotatoFrys
I'd have to agree with Azie.
11/27/2014 11:00 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Probably has a lot to do with not a lot of people playing 1.8 servers so not a lot of people will be using 1.8 skins. I'd be excited to see what everyone does with the new format though, if a proper Bukkit alternative for 1.8 emerges and people start playing it more.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome