Teenager skins. Teenager skins everywhere.

Kourier's Avatar Kourier11/9/19 10:45 pm history
20 emeralds 998 54
11/18/2019 4:47 pm
Kourier's Avatar Kourier
Its getting so annoying seeing a crap ton of teenage girl skins.
I swear the only thing that is different about them is the colors or clothes and hair, which usually isnt even their own design.

Sure some of them have good colors and shading styles but i wish they would use that on something else.

Ok yeah sure I really dont like them fine
Kourier
Level 43 : Master Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/16/2019 7:26 amhistory
Level 47 : Master Pokemon
Jessique
First off I'll say I totally understand what you're saying. The majority of the skinning community is based on teen skins - but I feel, like others said, this is because of how in demand it is seeing as most people I come across who play MC are between 10-16. It's difficult finding specific skins outside of the realm of trendiness but you definitely can find something if you put a couple minutes time into it. There's HEAPS of platforms nowadays for skins to be published on to browse.

But -- and this is where I feel the need to state my opinion -- I don't think it's fair to put down the style. I personally really only make the fem teen skins as I feel that is what people follow me for. I've tried branching out with more medieval styles in the past and they were a complete flop so I just went back to what I'm good at.
Also, as someone who creates skins for the Marketplace, I prefer to reserve my creativity for my skin packs. I've made all different kinds of skins under the sun. Some of my favorites are a complete 180 from what I publish on here such as orcs, trolls, cyclops', mushroom folk, knights & so on - and I know it's the same case for a lot of other content creators on this platform.

A lot of people who are inspired to begin their journey as a skin creator start in the 'teen' zone. It's easy to accomplish good results, play with shading, practice a variety of colour palettes and so on.
And honestly, when I read this, I read "I think these skins are crap and overplayed BUT I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THEM therefore you can't critique me" -- which is really toxic and unfair to those who enjoy the genre, regardless of if that was your intent or not. If you're tired of teen skins, I'd loved to have seen your ideas on what people should start playing with. There's always room for growth, but when you don't give anything constructive, how are we supposed to help broaden the horizon?
11/18/2019 4:47 pm
Kourier
Well said traveler, well said.
11/16/2019 7:13 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Artist
Hannasassy
im uniqua
11/16/2019 6:42 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
11/16/2019 7:08 am
Level 71 : Legendary Skinner
Auri
guilty as charged, xD
11/16/2019 5:53 am
Level 1 : New Miner
whydoiexist
Personally I am not a big fan of them They all look relatively the same, same shading style, texture, etc. It gets annoying because when I am searching for a skin I am never able to find exactly what I am looking for. Hence why I gave up, and made my own I made an amazing suit skin (you can check my PMC profile if you don't believe me). I really enjoy well-shaded-skins and Im sure many others would. Sadly there are not enough to satisfy everyone's needs.
11/16/2019 12:19 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Network
Romecraft Community
Honestly I have to say that I agree with you. I can definitely understand your frustrations. Redundant content is seemingly becoming a bigger and bigger problem on this website not just in the skinning section and not just with teen skins but the texturing and projects sections too. BUT.

I think this all maybe stems from the fact that PMC's featured content/pop feed, filtering system, and posting system works the way it does.

In other words, I feel that the featuring/pop reel system should be based more on whatever your inputted interests are rather then just trying to cast a wide net and only showing what the majority of the site likes, because obviously everyone is not going to unanimously enjoy the same content no matter how popular it may be with a major section of the community. This idea hopefully shouldn't be too unfamiliar to people as this is pretty much exactly how content filtering is handled on sites like Youtube and Pinterest. People have different tastes in content and I can respect this and so should everyone else, especially being a content creator myself with a much more niche focus then most people. I don't personally find it very effective for content creators to have to compete for popularity on a grand all-encompassing stage where the audiences are clearly wildly varied.

Its kinda like trying to play a football, hockey, and basketball game all in the same arena all at the same time. Everyone at the arena would clearly all be interested in sports, but different kinds of sports, and it most certainly works better to play individual kinds of sports in separate arenas with specific fans.

Having said that, I think at the very least I really think PMC needs "sub-sections" like History, Ships, Dragons, 1:1, etc. I also think it would be interesting to consider allowing multiple versions of a skin to be tacked on to a single post in a more official manner as "variants" to help cut down on such similar skins being posted back to back. Obviously you can do kinda already do this linking secondary download links but most people aren't inclined to do that (myself included tbh), hence why I think it should be a proper feature.
11/15/2019 10:47 pm
Kourier
I wish they would put as much effort in making every face look different than I do
11/13/2019 8:01 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Necromancer
FallingGuy
Keep fighting the good fight, yo. The prevalence of them is tiring for sure if you're into different styles, but for what I've seen that's just the preference of the community on PMC. Try posting skins in themed contests, on other forums, or even in related discords if you're looking for more feedback!
11/13/2019 2:24 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Birb
chickenpants93
Don't like em? Don't look at em. its a common style.
Folks are free to make the skins they like.
As for me I just make animals in fancy outfits.
11/12/2019 9:03 pmhistory
Level 48 : Master Grump
Mad
"I swear the only thing that is different about them is the colors or clothes and hair, which usually isnt even their own design."? I'm sorry, that's just how some people learn, by copying or using another persons design, it is quite irritating to see the same thing over and over. but they are still learning, give them a break.
11/13/2019 2:03 pm
Kourier
No I see some people with some real potential using designs that a bunch of people have already used
11/13/2019 7:04 pmhistory
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Lemon
Kawaii
(sorry im not part of this conversation but it’s way to triggering to not confirm this-)
you can’t say about everyone does it when it’s the certain group of people, and I bet many designs are redone because how many designs can one come up with? there will be repeats every once in a while and inspiration is how creativity works lol.

also before you say so, i know you did not specifically SAY “everyone” makes the same teen skins, but you did say “usually isn’t even their own design” which brings down the fact that many people who create said teen skins try to be original. I am very biased but I still have strong opinions 😩
11/13/2019 7:19 pmhistory
Mad
yeah! I even took quite a bit of inspiration while learning! it was so fun to create a little character that I give new clothes every two seconds. xDD
11/12/2019 2:57 amhistory
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Kitten
Marma
Uh, not to be rude, however.. I understand your frustration, but you must understand most skinners are limited to a few pixels so yes, a lot of skins will look the same. Personally, I don't like those darker tryhard teen skins myself, but that's my opinion. However, if the users of the skins enjoy it, why not just scroll past them? They're always going to be there, afterall.

With that being said, you also have to keep in mind there is a lot of very talented skinners out there who make very unique and well-made skins. You just have to know where to look.

Of course, you're free to state your opinion, but keep in mind some of the replies you will get will not be so nice when it comes to people disagreeing with your opinion.
:)
11/15/2019 10:40 pm
Kourier
About the being limited to the whole small amount of pixels thing, you just need to be more creative with the overlay tricks in order to do certain designs
11/15/2019 10:41 pm
Marma
Yes, but that also takes skill, and a lot of people just want to make easy quick skins, such as the classic "Teenager skins." :)
11/15/2019 10:45 pm
Kourier
Ok but stop using the smiling thing
11/16/2019 12:02 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster uwu
Terminant
>w<
11/15/2019 10:48 pm
Kourier
:(
11/16/2019 3:10 am
Mad
11/15/2019 10:46 pm
Marma
11/10/2019 10:42 pm
Level 24 : Expert Mage
Illithid
I'm okay with the teenager skins, i don't like them personally, but if someone likes to make them, then so be it.
But I think it would be really nice if PMC actually made a subsection of the skins section for (a bit unoriginal) skins like this.
In fact if you agree you can contact them and tell them about this idea, would be nice to not have the entire skin section filled with emo teenage boys in green creeper hoodies.
11/10/2019 8:57 pm
Auri
I wouldn't mind a bit more variety myself, but realistically there's not a whole lot to be done

The prevalence of teen skins is a symptom of PMC's userbase (at least of those active in the skinning section). If change is to occur sensibly, it'd probably have to occur from within.

There probably won't be change in the number of teen skins nor its admirers, so variety would likely have to come from an increase in both non-teen skin fans and high-quality non-teen skin uploads (what a mouthful lol).

I'd argue the best solution is to lead by example - be an excellent skinner. Refine your skills, partake in contests, create some impressive stuff, etc. Granted, there's no guarantee of dramatically increasing skin variety, but at least you can say you've personally contributed : )
11/13/2019 2:04 pm
Kourier
I kinda wish there was some kind of blacklist so they can do their thing without filling the top skins feed
11/14/2019 5:16 pm
Auri
What, like, a custom setting for your account that changes what you see or some sitewide implementation that everyone sees?

You could probably so something like the former, some slight changes to the current 'category' system and et voila - ez filter. Only caveat - what you're shown as 'top skins' will have a qualifier*. Top skins is meant to be based on engagement anyway, not taste.

For the latter, though? Sitewide blacklist is no bueno.

Look I ain't the biggest fan of teen skins. But fact is, the teen-skinning slice of the community isn't some tiny minority that can just 'do their own thing' in a quiet corner.

Of the trending top 25 skins, usually some 15-20 of them are teen skins. I wouldn't put a hard percentage on how large the teen-skinning sub-community is, but suffice to say they aren't insignificant.

If you make that section invisible globally - you're basically snapping a huge chunk of the skinning community out of existence. This kills the whole community.

I can't stress this enough - the solution is to lead by example. I don't advocate for non-teen skins by merely saying so; I advocate for them by creating molto bene non-teen skins. Arguably, anyone that makes great non-teen skins is inadvertently advocating for them, simply by example.

And y'know what? There's plenty of teen skinners that have stepped out of the comfort zone and tried something different. Sure, maybe it's cos they got bored of teen skins. But I'd wager it's also cos they saw some non-teen thing that they liked, were inspired to create something similar and crucially, got appreciaton from the non-teen skin crowd - people like us.

I guaran-damn-tee you, it's not something they would have done if they were ostracised by their peers and segregated to their own corner of the site. We gotta stop treating one another as 'other' and start lifting each other up.

* i.e., these are top skins for x criteria, not top skins overall
11/15/2019 10:38 pm
Kourier
So you just wasted your time typing all that lol.
11/16/2019 5:57 amhistory
Auri
i aint against ya, that wasn't a waste of time

you saw the first bit of my comment too, right? that's basically what your comment below was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11/15/2019 10:35 pm
Kourier
I never said I wanted them completely removed from the website, just so that I could add a personal blacklist so they wouldn't pop up. I mean it probably wouldn't be that effective because people are lazy when it comes to tagging
11/11/2019 9:04 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter
___warabi
this is my favourite reply on this thread so far
11/10/2019 8:40 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
11/10/2019 9:01 pm
xxDeadAccountxx
Someone's mad no one called him the right pronoun.
11/10/2019 8:32 pmhistory
Kawaii
wow u r totly rite.
i ban thee teenage skinz!!
thEy ooGLyy!!!!!!! >:(

Okay haha in all honesty, being someone who posts "teenage skins" I try being as original as i can, especially with clothing >:O
but if you think teenage skins are annoying, great for you. It's a common opinion i guess, and i can see why they are so annoying xD Still won't stop me from doing smthing i love :))
honestly there's just more & more every day you can't escape my man, it's just facts.
11/12/2019 9:04 pm
Mad
same lmao
11/10/2019 9:04 pm
xxDeadAccountxx
I see no point of this post, other than the fact you're still going to do the opposite of what the OP wants us to do. When you have a company run by people who are scared of opinions, it could cost everyone involved when they look couple decades later back into this.
11/10/2019 10:10 pm
Auri
a company?
11/10/2019 8:18 pm
Level 43 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
Honestly, you can't stop people from creating what they want to create and there's no way PMC will start banning uploads or removing submissions of "teenager skins" as anonpmc2670379 mentioned below. Like seriously, if it bothers you that much just look up those "different skins" you want and support those skins so they gain more traction and people can get inspired by those works. It's just that simple. Complaining about it doesn't change anything. I'll be continuing to make the skins that I personally like whether some else hates that concept or not.
11/13/2019 2:05 pm
Kourier
I know it doesn't change jack shit but I like complaining
11/10/2019 6:32 pm
Level 78 : Legendary Princess
Kirigiri
11/10/2019 9:12 pm
Kawaii
i love this so much thank you
11/10/2019 8:08 pm
xxDeadAccountxx
In a sense with the GIF you shared, it seems you are upset in a way.
11/10/2019 9:04 pm
Kirigiri
Honestly I have no opinion I just felt that the gif was relevant lol
11/10/2019 6:26 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter
___warabi
honestly this was like every skin site in 2014

either the teenage girl skins or 30 billion recolors of "emo boy with creeper hoodie"
11/10/2019 5:35 pm
Level 49 : Master Nerd
FireBellFairy
Honestly, there's a lot of "teenagers" on PMC and "teen" skins are easy to make.

If you're really bothered by human skins in casual clothing, I'm not sure what to say.

This is literally my opinion so please don't take it personally.
11/13/2019 2:06 pm
Kourier
I just wish there were more defining features besides the low 4 pixel eyes
11/13/2019 2:17 pm
Level 49 : Master Nerd
FireBellFairy
I have to agree with you there. I enjoy making "casual" styled/themed skins, ones that fit my style. They have higher, 1 x 2px eyes. I prefer the look of it, especially since I attempt a semi-realistic style.

Different skin, hair and eye colours and design/styles also help add originality to the skin.
11/10/2019 9:08 pmhistory
Kirigiri
I Agree with you, I think as long as someone made the skin themselves there’s no problem pmc was created for people to share their minecraft content and if that content is “teen skins” cèst lavie
11/10/2019 12:37 pm
anonpmc2670379
[deleted]
11/10/2019 12:22 pm
Level 24 : Expert Miner
Terra1012
youre so right!!
11/10/2019 11:38 am
Level 27 : Expert Musician
DominoFirey
i wish mojang would make it's own skin creation tutorial or (skin creator with different templates to start with) so people would make their own skins and find inspiration, instead of getting the same ones everytime just with different colors, i've made mine myself using the default steve template, it's always been the same style throughout the years, and it's so satisfying to have your own, and even more beautiful and represents who you really are.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome