The Way of the Skin- Learn Skinning from Pros!

1 emeralds375 replies5,420 views
Sumpumpolis started 01/08/2012 6:13 pm
the_soup replied 04/05/2012 10:56 pm
Hello PMC!
Have you ever wanted a place to get good, reliable advice, tips, and feedback on your skinning? Here is a team of skinners who can help! Blender,Fantasyhound, Sneeze7, and IamIBAM (and me). We will be here to help you out in becoming a better skinner, be it shading, composition, using the 3d hat section, or anything else!
We are currently recruiting more teachers! So, if you are interested in helping out, just post something saying you are interested and what kind of things you look for in a quality skin, and I or one of the other team members can check out your submissions and decide if you can join.
Here are some examples of our own skins, so you can trust us to give advice.
Skins by Sumpumpolis:
View Captain Gantu (Lilo & Stitch)
View A Hungry Cyclops
View Mister Incredible
Skins by Blender:
View Ghast of the Nether
View Waterfall
View Russian Soldier (contest entry!)
Skins by Fantasyhound:
View Ferb [Phineas and Ferb]
View Humbert the Elephant
View Cole McGrath [infamous 2] [contest]
Skins by Sneeze7:
View Dolph The Baker [Skin Battle: Sneeze VS Judd]
View Frog
View Chris Griffin
Skins by IamIBAM:
View Coach- L4D2
View Shao Kahn- Emperor of Outworld
View Duke Nukem

You can ask for tips on general styles and techniques, or you could post your skin by pasting the embed code from the skin's page, and ask us to give constructive feedback!
Oh, and for better advice, tell us what program you use.
Posted by avatar
Sumpumpolis
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Egyptian

375 replies

01/08/2012 6:17 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Geek
WalkerAllen
I consider myself to be a fairly good skinner, but I can't shade to save my life. Help, please?
01/08/2012 6:26 pm
Sumpumpolis
First of all, what is your choice of program? I guess I should add that to the description, that makes a difference to the best way to go about stuff.
01/08/2012 6:29 pm
WalkerAllen
I use to use Skincraft on Newgrounds, but I'm switching to McSkinEdit.
01/08/2012 6:37 pm
Sumpumpolis
For the best programs for shading, a mix of gimp and mcskinedit is the most popular combination. Any tools related to smudging, or dodge/burn (highlights/shadows) are the things to use. From there, using them well will probably be explained a lot on this thread, so bare with us on that for a little bit .
01/08/2012 6:47 pm
WalkerAllen
Okay! One more thing. I'm not sure if this falls under the category of shading or not, but I have trouble making the actual skin on my skins more than one color, and have it actually looks good. If that makes sense. I don't like having skins where the actual skin is just one color.
01/20/2012 10:42 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Herobrine
sniperman08
same here :L
01/08/2012 6:30 pm
Level 23 : Expert Narwhal
IamIBAM
Hi guys, I have a question. Currently, I use a method of skinning demonstrated by halucid in which you use MCSkinEdit to make the base then use Gimp (I used to and sometimes still use Skincraft on NewGrounds as well) to smudge the skin, but I was wondering if there were any other programs you suggest for making skins. Often times when using the smudge tool in Gimp, two pixels will smudge when I was not intending them to, like black hair and lighter skin tones. I also have problems with pixels smudging with areas where there is no color and becoming semi-transparent. Here is an example of my skinning ability:

It would be really helpful if you could help or point out programs that work well for skinning!
Thanks, IBAM
01/08/2012 6:34 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Hero
Sneeze7
Btw, i use gimp. Gimp is good an that technique is good. So is your skin there
01/08/2012 6:33 pm
Sneeze7
IamIBAMHi guys, I have a question. Currently, I use a method of skinning demonstrated by halucid in which you use MCSkinEdit to make the base then use Gimp to smudge the skin, but I was wondering if there were any other programs you suggest for making skins. Often times when using the smudge tool in Gimp, two pixels will smudge when I was not intending them to, like black hair and lighter skin tones. I also have problems with pixels smudging with areas where there is no color and becoming semi-transparent. Here is an example of my skinning ability:

It would be really helpful if you could help or point out programs that work well for skinning!
Thanks, IBAM

Okay i know what you are doing, on the smudge option, you need to tick a box where it says, hard edge. It gets easier to control and its get better smudge.
01/08/2012 6:36 pm
IamIBAM
Thanks Sneeze. Really appreciate it :3 That was my first skin using that technique.
01/08/2012 6:50 pm
Sumpumpolis
here, this is a good starting point for shading... obviously it varies based of what kind of skin it is, but this is how i shade overall.

image key: red represents directions of shading, going from lighter to darker.
green lined areas are dark. mostly this is the inner legs, arms, and sides of the torso.
dotted green lines show areas getting closer to being very dark.
the pink areas are the brightest, and look best standing out.
the head varies enough i didn't want to go in to it.
01/08/2012 7:08 pm
Sneeze7
Yeah thats how i do too :3
01/16/2012 12:46 pm
Level 41 : Master Herobrine
yoavsnake
Thanks! Before I used burn/dodge tool for shading...
01/08/2012 7:10 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Ninja
rishab1234
Can your great tem please help me with 3D hats/ Thank you
01/08/2012 7:39 pm
Sumpumpolis
what sort of help, specifically?
01/09/2012 5:57 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Ninja
rishab1234
Like add hats to skins.
01/08/2012 8:41 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
kvSketch
Great work guys, wish I could diamond forum topics.
01/08/2012 9:01 pm
Sumpumpolis
thankya kind sir
01/08/2012 9:07 pm
Level 40 : Master Unicorn
Strikerjacob
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with skins, I just don't get any publicity. Help!
01/08/2012 9:45 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
kvSketch
Your skins are pretty good, but I personally would suggest not using noise, and try using a burn/dodge tool, in gimp. Another good tool is light and dark tool in mcskin3d. Makes shading a lot less random, nice work though.
01/09/2012 12:32 am
Strikerjacob
I will take your advice and show you a skin soon okay? Thank you.
01/10/2012 5:49 pm
Strikerjacob
Here are three skins. Now feel free to be a critique.
And the Dovahkiin is for the contest.
01/08/2012 10:22 pm
Level 23 : Expert Scribe
Scholarbadger
Hello!
you guys are just great at skinning and i would love your feedback! You see im trying to see if i can make good, smooth,simple,cute,cozy skins!
i know thats a long descripition but it's my goal.
so if you guys can view my 2 latest skins i made and then tell me if im going in the right direction or if im doing quite bad
If i have room for improvement then please comment!
thanks a lot guys! You're saints ;D
01/08/2012 11:08 pm
Sumpumpolis
you seem to be moving in the right direction! the first thing I thought of was that they would be improved by shading some of the details on the skins. for instance boot buckles, hands, buttons, etc. it may seem like overkill, but it can really help the feel of a skin.
01/08/2012 10:36 pm
IamIBAM
Hey Sump, I just watched your tutorial on the uses of the dodge and burn tools, it simplifies shading a ton. Thanks
01/09/2012 12:53 am
Level 46 : Master Hunter
Po1ntBlank
Erm... I don't think a whole lot of people rank Fantasyhound with Sump, Hal, and Sneeze. Fantasy just made a ton of skins saying things like, "Real moving eyes" and "Looks better in 3D'
01/09/2012 1:02 am
Level 47 : Master Vampire
fantasyhound
well if you really wanna know sneeze hat tons of "officially" not legal skins, and deleted them (good guy ) i just got 2 skins with that the chameleon, and the ogre, next time when you tell me somethng. explain your problem and do not just shout something,
i give this as advice for not being hated. some people can react very aggrisive
01/09/2012 1:30 am
Sumpumpolis
i don't think fame is relevant. fantasy makes epic skins, the chameleon for instance being one of the best examples of cartoony shading i've ever seen IMO. he was willing to help with the thread, has the skills to give people advice, so why not? no need to bring hating to a helpful thread.
To remain on topic: people who hope to increase skin views would be advised to post a link (only once so it's not spam) in the chat room. Several skin sharing threads on the forums exist as well, and should also be used.
01/09/2012 1:53 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
Scolez
I would like some feedback on my style of texturing skins. You use shading, I just kinda draw random black/white lines 4/7/11/18 transparency...

http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/scolez/skins/any/?morder=order_latest
01/09/2012 12:03 pm
Sumpumpolis
I would recommend mixing that style with a smudge tool, if nothing else. that style can work, but as you are using it currently it doesn't create very gradual shading. and while that style works, it will make a skin look less colorful. every time you go over with black or white, the skin will become a little more desaturated. so a dodge and burn tool would still work better.
01/10/2012 5:52 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
Scolez
I spent forever on this one =_=

I did the gradient/shading lightly [on top of everything else]and it did have a very nice clean effect on it. This skin I combined all the techniques I have ever learned/made up
What do you think?
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/mario-contest/
01/09/2012 1:55 am
Level 29 : Expert Blockhead
Blockorz
I use a Forum to link my skins on PMC,but I still don't get any Publicity. Can u have a Look at the newer ones that I made & give me Some tips?
BTW I only use GIMP
01/09/2012 12:07 pm
Sumpumpolis
i have two tips for you. the first is to use either a smudge tool, or just make more gradual shades with the burn and dodge. oh, and in the brush options for dodge/burn, their are three kinds for each. you can check a box for highlights, midtones, or shadows. each has it's uses. dodging with highlights keeps a lot of warm tones, using modtones with dodge is slightly more desaturated, while shadows is the most colorless.
with burn, it's the opposite. shadows keeps color, while highlights desaturates a lot.

oh, and fantasy I updated the first post.
01/09/2012 2:21 am
Level 46 : Master Hunter
Po1ntBlank
I think you misunderstood me... In no way was I, "Overreacting," or, "Raging, Flaming, or reacting so aggressivley." I was just stating that I dont think most people rank Fantasy as much as some of the other skinners.
01/09/2012 12:51 pm
fantasyhound
you might wanna know that this is completely off-topic :/
01/09/2012 10:11 am
fantasyhound
01/09/2012 12:12 pm
fantasyhound
Sumpumpolis
BlockorzI use a Forum to link my skins on PMC,but I still don't get any Publicity. Can u have a Look at the newer ones that I made & give me Some tips?
BTW I only use GIMP

oh, and fantasy I updated the first post.

TY ^^
01/09/2012 12:19 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Dwarf
IBloodstormI
I'm definitely looking to make myself better. I'm downloading Gimp to give it a try.
01/09/2012 1:09 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Artist
Xbit
Sumpumpolis, I think I did okay. Judge meh please?
Also, what is GIMP? I'd like to try it out.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/gua ... -insanity/
01/09/2012 1:15 pm
Sumpumpolis
left you a post with feedback on the skin . gimp is a free image editing program, kind of like photoshop. it works for both mac and pc, and can be found by googling it.
01/09/2012 2:11 pm
Level 43 : Master Engineer
forro34
Could you please take a look and tell me how I could improve my techniques? I use the lighter/darker tool in SkinEdit. I make a pixel dark, then make the pixels around it dark and the first darker too. I then repeat the process.
I think this is the best example of my methods:
View Gollum (a.k.a. Smeagol)
01/09/2012 5:48 pm
Sumpumpolis
that skin looks really good! that system should work well for shading as well. my one recommendation would be to raise the contrast of your shading a little. what I mean is have it start darker, and end lighter.
01/11/2012 2:35 pm
Level 43 : Master Engineer
forro34
View Sonny
With your feedback and the diagram from the first page I was able to make this! Thank you very much and please tell me whether you like it and what I could improve!
...it kinda still looks barely shaded... :/
01/09/2012 2:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
Could you look at my skins and tell me how to improve em? I don't know how to get that weird preivew up though...
01/09/2012 5:29 pm
Sneeze7
Well stop using noise, and try adding shading instead, noise is ugly :/
01/10/2012 2:04 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
ok thanks sneeze i didnt really think there was a difference until i started texturing
01/09/2012 5:36 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
jackattack4000
What skin system do you use?
01/09/2012 5:44 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
Knarfer
My skinning used to be on an average level.

I got some help from sneeze and my skinning capability skyrockted.

This forum post needs more recognition.

You guys are really awesome, keep doing what you're doing.
01/09/2012 6:02 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Dragon
happygolucky1
Hm...I suck at shading. Any help?

Here's my favorite skin: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/cookeh-monstah
01/09/2012 6:07 pm
Sneeze7
Sumpumpolis posted a picture on general shading earlier on the thread, check it out, it helps out :3
Planet Minecraft Logo

Website

© 2010 - 2020
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome