What do i need to improve on my skins?

BlocklyCow's Avatar BlocklyCow9/10/19 12:27 am
9/10/2019 9:11 pm
GalacticMelody's Avatar GalacticMelody
i wanted to see other people’s views on how i can improve my skins so i made this lol :)

Poll ended 09/13/2019 12:27 am.

BlocklyCow
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Cowboy

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/10/2019 12:33 am
Level 43 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
I voted "other" because just by looking I can see that you have far better skill in skinning than I do. If anything I should be asking you for advice.
09/10/2019 12:34 am
BlocklyCow
i can message you some tips if you want! and thanks x)
09/10/2019 12:40 am
Level 43 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
I'd be grateful, but you don't need to go so far. As I make more skins I'll eventually get better at the shading process and learn how to put more detail in.
09/10/2019 1:05 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Skinner
Taehyunq_
By no means am I a professional myself, and this might be very opinionated. You don't have to listen to what I'm going to say, either.
I know most people like rather complex shading styles, but I think your shading is slightly hard to look at. If this is a style and you really like complex shading, then I think you're fine, but I personally like skins that are easy on the eye(?). A way you could change this is by removing some of the lighter shades, and then asking yourself, "Does it make sense to add this?" or maybe not, I don't really think about it tbh but I try to stay away from adding too many shades. This is referring to clothes mostly, and if you think about it, most clothes aren't super shiny in real life.
Your colors are pretty good I believe, but sometimes, the skin tone seems to become pretty dull (at least from what I can see on my monitor lol). I also think you shade the faces a bit much, but that's just me.
Other than that, I believe your skins are pretty good. The colors and shading are the only things that "bother" me, but it's mostly personal preference. Some of your skins lack a little bit of detail, but a way you could improve this is by adding more accessories to the hair. Maybe make striped shirts, hoodies with multiple colors, plaid, etc. Look up some clothes online for ideas. Hope this didn't come out harsh :/ I'm aware that there's a lot I could improve on as well. I don't take skin-making seriously, so my opinion isn't really valid
09/10/2019 5:22 pm
BlocklyCow
yeah, ive been purposely trying to tone down the skin color on some skins. and like on my 'remake' skin, i dont really like the shading on that. ngl, a lot of the time, i like simplistic skins, which kind of infulences the skins i make xD but i will try and act on ur advice! thanks! :D its always nice to see someone elses perspective on stuff :)
09/10/2019 5:54 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Skinner
Taehyunq_
Good to know that this wasn't offensive lol.
Also, the skin tone part is (again) mostly just personal preference. You can do duller skin tones and it'd still look good, but it depends on the skin. I think some people have "dull" skin irl anyways.
An example of it being "okay" to do dull skin tones is when the rest of the skin is dull, giving off a duller vibe I guess? It'd be kind of weird to have dull skin with a vibrant skin, however. Maybe it's just me
09/10/2019 8:35 pm
BlocklyCow
yeah, i noticed that i used kind of weird skin colors for my watermelon skin xD (and other ones lol)
09/10/2019 8:07 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
GalacticMelody
Just my thoughts, take of it what you will.

Honestly it all depends on your personal preference in this so I'd just say that you should form a bit of consistency with your skins. Like looking through your PMC gallery vs your skindex gallery, there was a large difference in not only posts but the quality. You seem to jump around from style to style a lot (I'm just taking a general look I didn't pay attention to upload dates) but even on your skindex account your style varies greatly. I would really suggest nailing down a set style for your skins and it's perfectly alright to try different styles and experiment but if you want to grow I'd try to nail something down rather than throwing everything out there and seeing what sticks, ya know?
Just my thoughts but I do like your work and your palettes and designs are really good in my opinion,
09/10/2019 8:33 pm
BlocklyCow
tbh, i dont really care about the amount subscribers or views. i make skins just for the enjoyment of making them. ive been building up a certain shading style throughout my last few skins (my kayo hinazuki skin and my koko hekmatyar skin are both (not exact) examples of this new shading im working on) and that will probably be the shading im sticking to. really though, it depends on how much patience and time i have when im making my skins. if i want to do something else like watch tv but also dont want to waste the motivation, i will probably make a quick skin and post it. im well aware that my skins are inconsistent and messy, but im still testing out shading styles for the purpose of finding one and sticking to it permanently. thanks for your advice! :) sorry if this reply seemed a little unformatted, lol.
09/10/2019 9:11 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
GalacticMelody
Yeah I completely get that! And if that is what you like doing then absolutely go for it, just my thoughts but that does make sense.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome