How do i use transparent colors on Gimp

EcksdeMan's Avatar EcksdeMan7/21/20 4:28 am
7/21/2020 5:46 am
illdeletethis's Avatar illdeletethis
I am working on a recource pack and i do not know how to make transparent colors for shading there is no option for it thanks in advance
EcksdeMan
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/21/2020 5:46 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
gimp has lots of tools for transparency

as Bertiecrafter mentioned, make sure the layer has an alpha channel, and save in png

you can also set an opacity for each entire layer separately, the eraser for areas of the picture, or you can set a certain colour to alpha, meaning only the stuff that isn"t that colour remains

the last part is great if you have a certain block texture that you want to apply to a differently coloured block, for example you take stone bricks, scale a copy of that layer to 1x1 pixels to get an average colour, pick that, set it to alpha in the original layer, get the average colour of sandstone, fill a layer below your original layer with that, and you now have sandstone bricks
07/21/2020 5:31 am
Level 40 : Master uwu
syrupnx
paint.net is, in my opinion, the better tool to use for resource packs, especially when dealing with transparency.
also, as an added plus, when different images are opened they're all in the same window separated in tabs (like chrome), which reduces desktop clutter, unlike gimp
07/21/2020 5:26 am
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Just use the Eraser to "draw" full transparency. If it shows up as white got to Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel. If you're looking for transparency in the colors you draw, GIMP has an opacity slider in the properties of the drawing tools instead of in the color picker where you might have expected it to be.
07/21/2020 5:27 am
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Also don't forget to save as png, since jpg does not support transparency
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome