Trying to add custom armor textures in 1.14.4

Terralon's Avatar Terralon2/25/20 1:06 am history
1 emeralds 672 2
2/25/2020 11:18 am
Terralon's Avatar Terralon
With items, blocks and weapons, you can create custom textures and models and assign them to different variations of diamond swords (with different damage values, custom model data, etc).

I'm trying to figure out how to do this with armor but I cannot find any information on how to do this for 1.14.4. (just to be clear, I'm aware you cannot use 3D models for armor, that's not what I'm trying to do)

Just to elaborate, lets say for an example that I want to create ruby armor by retexturing diamond armor that has been renamed "ruby armor". I don't want diamond armor it self to be changed, just the renamed versions of those items. I've got the textures, I've made the properties files, but nothing is working. The texture for diamond armor is still the same.

This is the properties file for the helmet specifically. It's located in (what I think is) the correct directory under assets/minecraft/mcpatcher/cit/ruby_armor

type=armor
matchItems=diamond_helmet
texture.diamond_layer_1=ruby-1
nbt.display.Name=pattern:Ruby Helmet

I've tried changing this up in a number of ways. ipattern instead of pattern. items instead of matchItems... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I followed the directions of an outdated tutorial video, I believe it was meant for 1.11 or 1.12. So how is this done in 1.13, 1.14 or higher?
Terralon
Level 58 : Grandmaster Nerd