Is there a point where you become popular?

PokeytheBearYT's Avatar PokeytheBearYT5/29/20 10:25 am
5/30/2020 6:51 am
AmyOak's Avatar AmyOak
I've been doing mainly Minecraft videos for about a year now, and it just seems it's going nowhere. A lot of people have told me to just keep uploading, and be myslef, but that doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone help me?

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_YlHKYRZSFJh8HiiE1km7A
PokeytheBearYT
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/30/2020 6:51 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Slime Tamer
AmyOak
what does "popular" even mean? i got a post on reddit with 4k upvotes and at the time that was popular to me because i was a new account with nothing on it. my perspective changed yesterday when another post of mine got featured here and on the r/Minecraft page, i fealt basically the same ammount of exitemrnt for both of these posts even though one is clearly bigger so in all honesty if you are happy with where you are then you are already popular.

before my account "became popular" i had one subscriber, puff21 and that was really good because they were there to support every post
05/30/2020 4:28 am
Level 37 : Artisan Artist
MysticJhn
At this point in YouTube history, it's probably more dumb luck to becoming popular than any other factor.
Especially in a subject that's so saturated like Minecraft videos, there's so many choices that it's almost a fool's errand.
If you're just another generic Minecraft YouTuber, people are more likely to stick to the already big names than spend time watching a newbie. Popularity is by word of mouth, and even then it's pure luck if anyone decides to share you with their friends.

I'd suggest finding a niche and sticking with it.
Are you making funny videos? Then concentrate on being funny.
Are you a redstone wizard? Come up with some crazy awesome redstone contraptions and maybe offer them as downloads.
Are you a builder? Make awesome builds, and they have to be magnificent. Go big. Winning a contest on here wouldn't hurt.
Do you have friends? Have a team of people with multiple points of view.
Do you play server games? Get good, record your awesomeness.

Just don't record yourself generically playing the game. That'll be the easiest way to get lost in the shuffle.
If people aren't watching you for anything in particular, then why would they?
Give people a reason to keep coming back and be something new viewers want to binge watch.
Make them NEED the next episode of your content.

You can branch out more on your content once you do become popular, but you need that hook to keep fans first.
Also, reddit yourself, twitch yourself (if you can), twitter yourself.
If you are ever popular, or want to know what content your fans are more interested in, what they don't care for, what makes them come back, you'll need those.
05/30/2020 6:51 amhistory
Level 1 : New Crafter
lotmsh
this entire post.

I have friends who've been working hard on their channel, producing amazing quality content, for years, and they only have a few thousand subscribers. Then there was this teenage girl who posted a couple short memey videos of her messing around in her house that she made in under 10 minutes. They weren't bad, but not insanely profound or anything just kinda funny, but somehow the algorithm favoured her and she hit 1 million subscribers and 100ks of views in a single month, leaving her completely overwhelmed and even she was posting videos saying she had no idea how this was happening.

The algorithm is a cruel god and we are but its slaves.
05/29/2020 11:42 am
Level 24 : Expert Princess
MissC-YT
Take it from a person whose only twice your size currently, the more you upload the quicker the YouTube algorithm with pick up your channel, before the virus hit us I was uploading 3 times a week I've had to slow down a bit now but meh. Try to upload at least once a week

Remember to add tags and lots of them in the tag bar

It takes a long while to get picked up and until you get to 1000 subs it's going to be slow going trust me I'm still climbing my way through the ranks especially if you take breaks and don't upload regularly.

Finding someone to do videos with makes making content much easier but also joining a YouTube minecraft server is a good way to interact with other small Minecraft YouTubers. There are many servers floating around for this including the one I upload for HydroKraft.

Linking a social media account to your channel will help spread your channel, I use twitter and try to tweet out my videos to gather some more views.

Also post on here about any new series you start (if there minecraft related) cause you'll be surprised how many people will check out your stuff

I'm sorry this is kinda a mess just writing all the things that comes to mind and my mind is messy.
05/30/2020 3:41 am
lotmsh
So I keep getting mixed signals about the tags. YouTube says they don't do much for people to find your videos unless it's often mispelled (why i always tag it minceraft), but then I keep seeing people recommend lots of tags. Is there some kind of confirmation that they do anything at all from youtube?
05/30/2020 6:45 am
Level 24 : Expert Princess
MissC-YT
I find that tags help, though I only choose a few of them cause I'm never quite sure what exactly to tag. But from my understanding the keywords you use in the tag bar help those people who search for your video or videos like yours to find them, the tags won't help with the algorithm but will with search
05/29/2020 10:33 amhistory
Level 43 : Master Procrastinator
The Skin Shaper
Maybe upload more frequently, get better gear, etc. If you spend time and money into you channel, you should get more traction.

Also, don't re brand your channel so much.
05/29/2020 10:35 am
PokeytheBearYT
Hmmm, ok. I think I know what you mean. Thanks for your response!
05/29/2020 10:38 am
The Skin Shaper
No problem.
05/29/2020 10:28 am
Level 40 : Master Crab
khajiity
maybe advertise a little? not too much, because if you do it too much people get mad and will probably not check out your stuff
05/29/2020 10:36 am
PokeytheBearYT
So, what would I advertise on? I have thought of that, but I'm not sure what platform. Thank you!
05/30/2020 3:44 amhistory
lotmsh
Look for Minecraft forums and post your videos in there. You can usually go sneak into a "builds" subforum or something, showing off your build, then hope to god people will check what else you have on your channel. I subbed to you btw :)

Also, comment on lots of videos. (DON'T comment ads, that will just result in ppl downvote brigading). I used to have an account with 0 videos and 100+ subs just from constantly commenting on brand new Let's Plays as a kid.
05/29/2020 10:38 am
The Skin Shaper
Well, I don't think you should advertise until you get like 10k+ subs, but it is up to you.

I don't really know anything about advertising though.
05/29/2020 10:40 am
PokeytheBearYT
I'm probably not going to do ads, just personal advertisement. I have 30 subs, so that is a long way there.
05/29/2020 10:37 am
khajiity
if you have minecraft content, you can maybe advertise on stuff like minecraft-related sites, and minecraft servers
05/29/2020 10:39 am
PokeytheBearYT
Oh, like Mineplex and Lifeboat? That would make sense!
05/29/2020 10:41 am
khajiity
sure i guess
05/29/2020 10:42 am
PokeytheBearYT
Ok, thank you!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com