Who built ocean monuments? (Lore)

Makaneek's Avatar Makaneek10/8/19 4:28 pm history
16 emeralds 2.5k 80
11/13/2019 1:57 pm
Makaneek's Avatar Makaneek
I'm convinced that guardians are hive-minded fish that construct enormous hives out of their own shed scales, which they weld together with their laser beams, but I'm interested to see who agrees.

My report on guardians

A video about real ancient fish with some guardian-like qualities
Makaneek
Level 48 : Master Answer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/13/2019 12:54 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Narwhal
Cracjaw450
I have this whole Lore idea for like, the history of Minecraft. As if the monsters weren't natural and they appeared from no where one day, plunging the world into chaos and war. The ancient Race of Warriors know as Users where destroyed in the fight. They haven't been seen since....I have this whole idea and am planning on turning it into a map/book? I don't know but I have a super active imagination and have been working on this for a while.
11/13/2019 1:57 pm
Makaneek
That’s very interesting, and I agree, to an extent. Undead monsters, like skeletons and zombies are certainly unnatural.
10/15/2019 11:28 am
Level 46 : Master Pirate
TheRealBlank512
personally I think an ancient underwater mob that is long since extinct built them. Think about it, the interior of the monument to built with the fact that the temple is full of water in mind(doors with drop offs in large rooms, holes in the ceiling, ect.). And It's clear the guardians are only meant to guard the temple based on their name. and i think they guard it because the temple was made from the scales of their fallen comrades. as for why I think said underwater mob valued gold in a similar manner to how we value diamonds and the gold in the monument was the whole reason they built it. to protect it. hence the mining fatigue that the elder guardians give you and as for why it's protecting so little gold that's because it'll all they could get. How are they supposed to go mining if they can only breath underwater? they didn't. instead they took the gold from the underwater ravines sprinkled through out the oceans and that's all they could ever find and since they could only obtain a very limited amount of gold, 8 blocks would be considered a fortune and worth protecting with life and limb. this is where the guardians come in. they built the temple out of the scales of their fallen comrades which makes them want to guard it out of respect for their fallen. and as a bonus they guard the gold for the ancient mob.
10/15/2019 12:02 pm
Makaneek
I don't think it's necessary to assume the existence of any mob with no direct evidence of its existence. Since guardians are certainly capable of building monuments, why assume some hypothetical mob did? anyway, that's my opinion. I'm open to further debate if you want.
10/15/2019 12:08 pmhistory
Level 46 : Master Pirate
TheRealBlank512
The reason i think it's some other mob Is for two reasons: 1 they're called guardians not builders or constructors. and 2 In my opinion I don't think the guardians could have built it. It's too complex for creatures who get their kicks out of killing squids for no reason. also if they did build it why don't they fix the monument when it's broken by the player?
10/15/2019 1:00 pmhistory
Makaneek
The name is irrelevant. Ancient explorers saw that they guarded the monuments, and named them guardians. And we have no concept of how smart they could be. Nobody said they killed squid for no reason, they do it for food. And they don’t repair the monuments when the players destroy them because they grieve the elder guardians.
11/13/2019 12:55 pm
Cracjaw450
Mer-people? That would be cool.
10/14/2019 11:18 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Professor
lunarotic
Another Theory-The guardians abducted us humans and enslaved us-then making us build the ocean monuments
10/15/2019 9:39 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
I considered that possibility as well, as well as the idea of human sacrifice to placate the Guardians.
10/14/2019 10:04 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Hand-E
I have a theory: Minecraft is a 2009 sandbox video game and this shit doesn't matter.

I personally love this theory.
10/15/2019 11:31 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
10/15/2019 8:30 am
Makaneek
You are obviously looking for a fight, so I won’t give you one. Please don’t insult my hobby. It is none of your business if what I say matters or not.
10/14/2019 10:30 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
10/14/2019 10:35 pm
Hand-E
Did you really have nothing to better to than to go and read every comment I've ever made? 'Cause if so....... that says more about you than it does me, buddy.
10/14/2019 10:40 pm
Makaneek
nah I just read the forums instead of incessantly criticizing them.
10/14/2019 10:43 pm
Hand-E
That has literally no relation to what I said.
10/14/2019 7:53 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Professor
lunarotic
Minecraft was actually originally the real world, made by Us-Until a super savage boi turned us into blocks, which inturn made all of our buildings blocky, unable to cope with this new block world thing, we started to build other buildings, those said structures then started to rot away, and the people still living there became drowns-Duh
10/14/2019 9:03 pm
Makaneek
Interesting...
10/14/2019 5:17 amhistory
JediJerboa
The Guardians are well, guardians of their temple. I do not believe that the Guardians made it. However, I believe they were seen as sacred creatures, thus why there is treasure within the temple. As for why the temple is built of scales and tiles, I believe these are shed scales, making them perfect decoration for such a holy place.

What the Guardians are truly guarding is still a mystery. Perhaps they hold the secrets of the ancient civilization locked away, and still defend their temple from intruders.
10/14/2019 11:04 am
Makaneek
While this is technically possible, I find it unlikely for several reasons:
  • The monuments bare absolutely no resemblance to any human-made structure.
  • Monuments can spawn in already loaded chunks, hinting that whoever makes them is still alive and well.
  • There is no real evidence for anyone ever inhabiting the monuments besides guardians and elder guardians.
10/14/2019 12:14 pmhistory
JediJerboa
I never said that the ancient civilization was comprised of humans. For all we know, this could be an Atlantis situation.

As for why they appear in already-loaded chunks, I believe the temple opens itself when it senses an intelligent presence. But once they realize you’re not one of their worshippers, well, you best run.

Another thing that should be noted is that it is a temple, a place of worship, not a place of residence. The temple was made for the Guardians to live, not for any worshipper to stay in. Think the Pyramids of Egypt. The pharaoh was seen as a holy figure, so when he died, he was entombed in the pyramid, a place where no mortal could trespass on. These Guardians are sacred creatures. You gave your offerings and prayers and then you left.
10/14/2019 4:40 pm
Makaneek
I'm afraid you're mistaken. It is by no means a temple. That is merely a fabricated name that stuck. The in-game Structure name is Monument which does not mean temple but is defined as a structure built to remember something, not worship something. As to what's being remembered, it could be anything, but I take it to be Minecraft's version of the prehistoric Devonian period when the sea was filled with Placoderm fish, the guardian's relatives.
10/14/2019 5:22 pm
JediJerboa
Monument is a very broad term. Monuments are also made to commemorate certain things. Looking at the definition of monument, a monument is a statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event.Temples fall under this category. Look at the Sanctuary of Dion in Greece, the site was erected to honor Zeus and the Olympian gods. It can be said that the monument was created for the Guardians to thank them for some sort of deed or their service to the ancient civilization. A home for their saviors, perhaps.
Yet why the Guardians were so honored shall never be known, as the civilization has most probably perished, along with all of its knowledge.
10/14/2019 5:44 pm
Makaneek
But still, there's no evidence anyone but guardians were ever involved with the monument.
10/14/2019 12:25 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
OkCubie
What about both? By this I mean that ancient people figured out how to control the guardians and used them to build the monuments, and when the ancient people disappeared, the guardians were left in a strange stasis, always defending their temples for a people that no longer existed.
10/14/2019 11:03 am
Makaneek
  • Monuments can spawn in already loaded chunks, hinting that whoever makes them is still alive and well.
  • There is no real evidence for anyone ever inhabiting the monuments besides guardians and elder guardians.
11/13/2019 12:59 pm
Cracjaw450
They kinda look like Mayan temples/pyramids things: Monument?
11/13/2019 12:59 pm
Cracjaw450
Just look up Mayan temples
10/14/2019 4:26 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
OkCubie
I thought about the second point, but I didn't include it in the comment.
10/13/2019 9:53 pm
Makaneek
Have a boost, thread of mine!
10/10/2019 1:50 pm
Level 24 : Expert Robot
C0okies_n_Cream
i think some sort of other civillization built them with gaurdian scales and they had a way to "tame" them but eventually they lost control of the gaurdians and the gaurdians killed the other race off and inhabited the temples
10/10/2019 1:55 pm
Makaneek
I respectfully disagree, but I'm open to debate.
10/14/2019 11:26 am
Makaneek
10/09/2019 11:40 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
Wizard_Engie432
I agree with you Makaneek, it seems pretty reasonable that Guardians would have made the Monuments and they could have learned alot from Ancient Humans... Now I know the monuments were implemented in 14w25a, which could mean they have been around for over 14,250,000 years... In my opinion every Minecraft update is an Alternate Dimension.
10/14/2019 11:30 am
Makaneek
I think monuments are Many many millions of years older than humans, and I'm not quite convinced humans could've taught guardians anything, but details, details. Glad you agree!
10/09/2019 10:34 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pirate
Bleyd
Bees
10/10/2019 12:02 pmhistory
Makaneek
obviously
10/09/2019 5:52 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Loremaster
047Gaming
I Like The Shedding Scales Idea!!!
10/09/2019 9:15 pm
Makaneek
thanks!
10/09/2019 5:19 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
10/09/2019 5:22 pm
Makaneek
And I thought I was overthinking this...
10/09/2019 1:56 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Lemilas
My assumption has always been that they were built by people long ago above water, and then they somehow sank or were submerged (sort of like Atlantis). But the ideas people have here are pretty interesting and convincing.

Another interesting thought: If tridents are made of prismarine, where do drowneds get them from? Do they get them from the guardians and ocean monuments, or is there prismarine to be found somewhere else?
10/09/2019 5:12 pm
Makaneek
I think prismarine should be exclusive to monuments, as I imagine it to be forged guardian scales. that said, the ancient humans who built the ocean ruins (but not the monuments) would've hunted their guardian neighbors and made good use of the prismarine, forging it into sophisticated weapons like tridents in a crafting process now lost to the ages.
10/09/2019 10:13 pm
Lemilas
Yeah, that makes sense. But if the monuments were built by people, then the ocean ruins might be made by the same people. Or maybe by a different group of people who had contact with them through trade or otherwise. Perhaps if crafting tridents was lost to the ages, then prismarine making could also be a forgotten secret, actually made from something else in the Minecraft world.
10/09/2019 10:37 pmhistory
Makaneek
You may be confusing monuments with ruins. Monuments are the large blue ones, and ruins are the sunken villages. I’m saying that monuments were built by the guardians that still live there.
10/10/2019 1:32 pm
Lemilas
I know the difference between ruins and monuments. I'm just saying that the humans who built the ruins could have been the same people who built the monuments, and that they could have made prismarine by some long-forgotten process of forging or crafting.
10/10/2019 1:46 pmhistory
Makaneek
True, but that wouldn't explain why guardians drop prismarine. I find it very difficult to believe that guardians are golems. And the monuments themselves bare absolutely no resemblance to human architecture. they have no chests, no crafting tables, no workstations on any kind, are impossible to explore without swimming, and they feature an extremely limited range of blocks. I think if humans had built the monuments, they would have been more diverse in construction, especially if they were the same people who built the ruins, which use a much wider variety of blocks known to be accessible to humans.
10/09/2019 11:57 am
Level 37 : Artisan Spider Rider
InfamousArgyle
It wasnt so much people but aquatic humanoid creatures (mermaids???) that built them, in my mind.
10/09/2019 11:59 am
Makaneek
but mermaids are people too!
lol
10/09/2019 11:21 am
Level 87 : Elite Deity
Captain_JEK
I don't think guardians would have been able to build temples.
Most likely in my opinion is that the temples were built by other creatures (not necessarily humans though) and guardians later found those temples and settled there for some reason (maybe they were ideal for mating).
Or the temples' creators intentionally breeded guardians and already gave them their name "guardian" because their purpose was to guard the temples.

But guardians themselves lack something they could have moved and precisely stacked blocks of heavy stone (although we don't exactly know how heavy prismarine is, especially underwater) with.
They only possess an "organic ray gun" that as far as I know can't push or pull anything, some spikes and a tail that doesn't look very strong.

So, I think the guardians colonized temples that were built by someone else before.
10/09/2019 11:41 amhistory
Makaneek
I think prismarine has unique properties that reject friction from water, which would explain why tridents throw equally well in water and air AND why guardians can swim so fast with such an awkward body shape. The guardians could lift shed shells with their spikes while a second guardian welded it into place with its beam. But I am interested to know more about who you think built the monuments.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome