home Forumsplay_arrow Communities fiber_manual_record YouTube

I have created my first intro video for my let's play series, Building with Bliss. Opinions?

1 emerald12 replies136 views
created 08/20/2018 4:01 am by DreamBliss
last reply 09/03/2018 3:45 pm
ptmpxn2w6z0

Building with Bliss Intro

This took a LOT of work! Not so much on the intro itself. More on going through all the free video editors out there and trying them, finding some I like but which would not work on my system, or would crash. Here is a breakdown:

Hitfilm Express: I HATE being forced to register for "free" software, but I had heard this was good, I watched a video tutorial I found for it, so I bit the bullet and registered. I loved it, until I tried to add some text. The program consistently crashes on my machine when attempting to add text. Can't even run the 2017 version, and the previous version has the same issue!

DaVinci Resolve: This one won't even start on my machine, As near as I can tell it requires a GPU (video card) no older than 2 years. But I wanted to try it so badly!

Lightworks: This one runs flawlessly, but again forces you to register. It limits you to 720p for the free version, but as I am doing 720p that is not an issue. However the program itself is not intuitive to use at all. Just doing a simple fade at the end or beginning of a video requires an act of congress!

Open Shot: I can't really find anything wrong with this, but few people use it, it is VERY simple and I am not sure I could do the things I want with it.

VSDC Video Editor: This one I liked and my first stumblings around making an intro started here. But it has the fewest users at all. At the Video Help forum (as I recall) there is a post that essentially says nobody here uses it,. It also comes with a screen capture program, which I will be trying.

Shotcut: This is not a typo. There is an amazing NLE (Non-linear video editor, same as the others) that is super easy and intuitive to use, but which has a LOT of features. Not much support, but there is a community, and once you get the hotkeys down you are set. I will be doing a tutorial later. The export settings are COMPLICATED, but I think I have it down to a science now. Your feedback on my into will reveal anything I missed. It was made completely in Shotcut BTW.

So yeah, I can do simple video intros. Still have Min-imator on the back burner for the 3D animated Minecraft stuff. BDoubleO100 AKA BDubs was my inspiration for this style of intro.

Interested in checking out my let's play series for vanilla Minecraft 1.13, Building with Bliss? Here is a link to the first video!

YsvFDNeNIkI

Doing new episodes typically twice a week. I would LOVE your feedback. I know there are some audio and quality issues. But the big question is, is it entertaining? Are you learning anything? Getting inspired? Are you enjoying this series? That's what I really want to know!

Building with Bliss Playlist

Posted by avatar
DreamBliss
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect

12 replies

09/03/2018 3:45 pm
Level 10 Journeyman Architect
DreamBliss
The newly edited (and shortened) episodes 5 and 6 are now live!
08/28/2018 12:16 am
Level 2 Apprentice Network
LoxleyShadow
The first part was pretty lengthy.
08/29/2018 3:31 pm
DreamBliss
Thank you for your replies.

I have not done much editing to the first 3 videos, besides adding the intro, as they had already been released. But starting with episode 4 I am cutting things out, speeding repetitive parts up, and, as a result, shortening the length. You can see my latest episode here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPYkSjimA9o

For editing I will be using Lightworks, as I can do a lot with this program, if I can just get it to work with the videos I cast so far! I also have Shotcut and Hitfilm Express on standby. Frame Rates are going up with any new episodes I do, as I have a better capture program. The problem is there are 18 episodes already done, pretty much wrapping up season 1, but we will see after editing.
08/27/2018 9:46 pm
Level 33 Artisan Architect
BRASHEXODUS
not too bad but i do recommend getting adobe after effects for editing. aswell as tweak the obs studio a bit to give you the best overall stuff. maybe at more ram to your game :) there is a alpha version of optifine for 1.13 that i do recommend you use :) anywhoo its not too bad would be alot better with smoother fps :)
08/25/2018 4:47 pm
DreamBliss
Another update...

Lightworks has a MAJOR flaw! It can not work with a variable frame rate. So the only way to use Lightworks is to:
1. Capture your gameplay footage.
2. Convert it to a constant frame rate.
3. Import it into Lightworks for editing.
4. Export it, which will transcode it AGAIN.

Lightworks SHOULD work with FRAPS or any capture software that uses a constant frame rate. But FBX, the program I used to capture the last 16 episodes, fails.

Shotcut has no isse with variable frame rate, in my experience so far.
08/27/2018 9:35 pm
DreamBliss
Turns out that while FRAPS is the best recorder to give you top framerates in Minecraft, importing into Lightworks can be problematic. I have a larger file, and all Lightworks does is grind and delay - it never loads properly. So I guess Lightworks is crap, unless you can find a recorder as good as FRAPS that is 100% compatible with Lightworks (meaning no variable bit rate.)
08/24/2018 6:14 am
DreamBliss
I have begun the editing process, and have completed two episodes from what I have cast so far. I have scrapped one episode. I have opted for a fast forward style with an effect to separate it from the main video through any repetitive or tedious parts. These segments are also silent. This is the best I can do with what I have now.

Later videos will be done differently, will have greater render distance and be running at a very steady 20fps. I will use cut/transitions and fast forward. Using BDoubleO's work as an example to follow. I mean he has a million subscribers and hundreds of thousands of views so he has to be doing something right! I will learn from his process, but will not copy him or his style. I have to be myself after all!

One final note... I may have been a little harsh with Lightworks, so I may re-install and try it again. Shotcut is doing what I need, but it crashes A LOT. Very frustrating. I guess that's the price you pay for something without a price tag...

Still would like feedback on my intro. Good? Bad? Ugly?

Thanks!
08/21/2018 2:37 am
DreamBliss
08/20/2018 7:47 am
Level 26 Expert Architect
Isz
As TomConn said.
- Your fps is awful, you want at least 60 while recording
- Play fullscreen when recording
- Turn the master volume down a lot, the sounds of leaves breaking and blocks breaking is far too loud
- You need to edit out A LOT, watching someone play in real time is incredibly boring. If you've ever watched some bigger youtubers, for example the hermitcraft guys. They'll edit days worth of footage into 30 mins. So they actually get lots done in one episode. In that one episode you've linked here you literally built a bit of wall for a house in 32 minutes.

Sorry for the harsh criticism.
08/20/2018 3:14 pm
DreamBliss
Well if I had anything other than than a quad core i3 with integrated HD 3000 video, I would record at least at a stable 30fps. Doin' the best I can with what I have.

I am now recording full screen. I figured this may be a problem.

I caught the audio issues as well. Started using a compressor on the audio of my older videos, the new ones have the in-game audio adjusted.

Your last point troubles me... On the one hand I wanted to do real-time, you are there with me doing these things. On the other hand I see your point... If I was doing a video tutorial on how to build something I would have to pause, do some repetitive task, then resume. Or fast-forward.

Gonna have to sit with this one for a bit. I have a lot of material already recorded, I could edit it and cut it down, but it will change the intention and spirit of the series. You know, the viewer comes in and I say, "Remember that castle I said I was gonna build? Well here it is!"

I thought part of the draw would be putting the viewer in the trenches with me, through every death, build, discovery, etc. But maybe the viewers don't want that?

OK, gonna think on this. No need to be sorry for the harsh criticism. I asked for opinions, and you gave yours. Much appreciated!
08/20/2018 6:14 am
Level 39 Artisan Pixel Puncher
TomConn
2 things:

1: Try to install optifine because right now the FPS in your videos are... Bad let's just say that.
2: Try to isolate the minecraft so that it's the only thing visible. Right now in your video we can see that you have Blender, Unity, you use a Windows 7 system and it was 11:55AM when you started recording.

That's all otherwise fine videos you make :)
08/20/2018 3:05 pm
DreamBliss
Hey thanks for your reply! Optifine, as far as I know (I will double check) is not ready for 1.13 yet. Also I am now recording in full screen.

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome