Stellar Flux - Firefly/Battlestar inspired space game

irbis777's Avatar irbis77712/23/15 7:43 am
1 emeralds 2.5k 56
2/1/2016 8:44 pm
Konrad's Avatar Konrad
Hello. So I am making a space game now =) Those are not photoshop but screenshots from the game. The name of the game is yet to be decided. Its very early in development.
(click the pictures to enlarge)

Now, what's the game about? Lets make it TL;DR:
-Space exploration.
-Landing and flying around on planets surface.
-Mining various resources from asteroids, gas clouds and crystals.
-Fighting enemy spaceships.
-Boarding shipwrecks and derelicts in a Space Hulk style.
-Captain who gains experience in a RPG fashion.
-Your Mothership and everything can be upgraded and expanded.
-Researching and building new technologies.
-Random Encounters based on choices and actions like in adventure games.
-Artifacts with unique proprieties.
-Rich and multilayered story.
-Beautiful space environment.

Ever wondered how Admiral Adama from Battlestar Galactica felt? Now you will have the chance... I just have have to finish this thing ^_^

Oh and I am not selling anything. I've been working on this from around 2 weeks so I am just showing-off right now. So...

Whatcha think?

And if anybody cares - heres my fanpage.
https://www.facebook.com/DroneLockerOfficial
irbis777
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2016 8:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
Hows the game going so far?
01/09/2016 9:51 am
irbis777
Okay this is as good as it gets. Plus I really just want to move forward and get this over with.
CLICK TO ENLARGE
01/06/2016 3:10 pm
Konrad
amazoDog161
GuyThatHasNoLifeczesc im also from Poland and add a starbucks into the game and i could help with website development for the game. - From a fellow Poland citizen lol. Btw i cant really write polish since i only lived in Poland for like 4 years but i speak polish pretty well.

Hey. I'm half polish, but I can't speak or write the language at all. I know only a few words. Like Żabka, and zupa pomidorowa xD (EDIT: Those mean Frog and Tomato Soup. I thought i'd add that, since i've gotten a warning before for speaking other languages than English...)

That's cool and that sucks that you got a warning.
01/06/2016 10:43 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/06/2016 10:27 am
irbis777
Polished and upgraded the starship sprites a bit. I think this is as close as it gets to what I had in mind. And thats the last update for Stellar Flux for couple of days... I got food poisoned and I am barely seing what I type. Plus my kid got fever so we all be staying home for next couple of days.
[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

01/06/2016 3:10 pm
Konrad
Hope you two get better.
01/06/2016 9:45 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/06/2016 4:01 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/05/2016 3:52 pm
Konrad
czesc(hi, hello) im also from Poland and add a starbucks into the game and i could help with website development for the game. - From a fellow Poland citizen lol. Btw i cant really write polish since i only lived in Poland for like 4 years but i speak polish pretty well.
01/05/2016 3:31 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/05/2016 11:07 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
This looks amazing! I would deftly play this game if you release it!

Keep us updated on this if you can please!
01/05/2016 11:29 am
irbis777
Oh but of course! I want to play this game badly, even being its creator. But I don't make the game for myself but for other people play and enjoy. I am working as hard and as fast as I can to finish the game ASAP and then have a relaxed beta testing.

Every time I will have a new bit of info I will try to drop the news right away. But the news might appear here with a small delay because my main comunication chanel is my Facebook fanpage and Twitter - then the rest. But I won't forget about planetminecraft, thats for sure!
01/05/2016 8:57 am
irbis777
UPDATE!
Okay guys, you've seen a lot of space vistas. But what about spaceships and stuff? Well I got that covered for you. Of course its all still Work In Progress so everything will be polished and might change. So take this more as a early design rather then final graphics. Hope you like it.
[CLICK THE PICTURE TO ENLARGE]

01/04/2016 5:09 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/04/2016 5:13 am
irbis777
Oh but of course! Do you like the website? I suck at making websites. Mostly because I rarely make them. Its not finished. I will be adding more content as it goes. But do you like it? I tried my best to make it feel cozy and warm. You know what I mean. And NOT very mobile friendly. Screw the mobiles and One-hyper-long-column page formatting. XD
01/04/2016 5:16 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/04/2016 9:06 am
irbis777
Hehehe I know. Dronelocker @ weebly is just something. More informal then for show.
I might have to do just that, @ the Stellar Flux website. But I have to pimp up more the game first. I am just one person. Now... making SFX, music, coding, graphics, marketing, PR, website, video editing, blabla = overkill for one poor soul. Thats why it all takes me so long.
01/04/2016 3:50 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/03/2016 12:06 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/03/2016 12:15 pm
irbis777
Well lemme copy/paste some of the info.
--OVERVIEW--
Stellar Flux: Majesty of Void, is a game developed by one person. Strongly inspired by classics such as Firefly, Battlestar, Star Trek, Faster Then Light, Escape Velocity, Star Control and others. Its being made to provide the player with lots of things to do, gameplay diversity, and both casual and hardcore experience - depending how much time the Player has. Regardless do you play for 10minutes or 10h - you will always get plenty of fun and entertainment.

--STORY--
One day an alien space came to our planet and told us that they own our planet and bought it around 100 000 years ago, when humanity was primitive. Then they gave us a simple choice: leave the planet or face annihilation. We went with the 1st option, build a huge Noah Ark-like mothership and left our solar system, trying to find a new home for our kind.

--FEATURES--
-Space exploration.
-Landing and flying around, on planets surface.
-Mining various resources such as asteroids, gas clouds and crystals.
-Fighting enemy spaceships.
-Boarding shipwrecks and derelicts in a Space Hulk style.
-Captain who gains experience in a RPG fashion.
-Your Mothership and everything can be upgraded and expanded.
-Researching and building new technologies.
-Random Encounters based on choices and actions like in adventure games.
-Artifacts with unique proprieties.
-Rich and multilayered story.
-Beautiful space environment.
-Interactive and "living" game world.
-procedurally generated, unique sectors
-high replay value with "New Game+" option enabled after beating the game.

So, the player is the Admiral of Human kind fleet and captain of the mothership. The mopthership is yet to be coded. For now I am sweeting the game world ^^

The "Old Map" area is a sealed part of the solar system. Sealed with a huge artificial construct, kind like Dyson Sphere but bigger. So the whole solar system is protected with a powerful force field. Nothing comes in, nothing goes out.

Editing program CyberLink PowerDirector.
Recording Bandcam (the best I could find. And believe me - I tried them ALL)
01/03/2016 1:07 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/03/2016 1:31 pm
irbis777
Ship modification and various extra devices and modules are one of the main things here, but not in a Space Pirates and Zombies sort of way. Yes you can refit your ship to fit your needs and make some unique gear combos and builds but the core remains always the same.
I am still playing with the idea of the Admiral/Captain to have unique profession but I need to carve it and polish. I leave the captain for later, when the spine of the game is already fully functional.
I want to implement the module in which you can walk around your spaceship but in a bit diffrent way then anybody would expect. Stay tuned - this will be something brand new :3

Is OBS paid? Because I am broke lol and I've already paid for the Bandcam.
01/03/2016 1:36 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/03/2016 1:41 pm
irbis777
Oooooh! Shinny! Then I am gonna check it out! Thank you bro!
As of the help... Well. There are sooo many diffrent ways to help me, and fields that begs for help. First, lets give you some perspective about who I am and whats the backstage...
http://dronelocker.weebly.com/

Give it a read. And then come back to me. And we shall continiue.
01/03/2016 11:56 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
01/03/2016 10:41 am
irbis777
And ANOTHER update! (I am on fire, oh yeah!~ )
Ingame VIDEO! Finally I am getting my shit kind a sorted after all those holidays and I have something that's in motion. There is not that much to do ingame, but there will be. For now - its more of a showreel of how the in game looks and feels. I am trying my best to make the game world feel and be both interactive and alive. So nothing is pure "decoration". Stray roids can be catched. They smash into sun, spaceships, planets and each other. Planet can collide, black holes sucks everything in, suns burns. And I am adding new elements each day. Hope you'll like it. I am doing my best.
[yt]0Wvp1beqHfw[/yt]

amazoDog161
This is actually pretty good! Couple things to note: I'd say that the music shouldn't be "creepy horror brain-melting" like you said. Rather something that implies that you are in space, with maybe some sort of flute or quite silent brass instrument. It should have a strong, cold and "spacey" ambiance/atmosphere, but shouldn't make you scared, as if it was music from a horror movie. So TL;DR, something cold, but calm, and something that doesn't exactly make you scared or give you the chills, but still something that implies that you are in space. Also, the track you posted has quite a lot going on, and i think the "wobbly noise" makes it feel more tense than it should be.

PS. What software do you use for the music?

Thank you! I would love to add some violins. I think violins are very space-sounding if you know what I mean. Oh and drums, never leave your house with a drum!
Oh and I am using good old Audacity.
01/02/2016 11:36 am
irbis777
Small Update (Because of the weekend)

So because there is another long weekend going on - I cannot work too much on the game. But I did found couple of spare minutes to check something out. I've made a test music(?) for Stellar Flux . It was something new as I've never made space music before. My domain are rather creepy, brainmelting, horror tunes. But this ain't that bad. Give it a listen and tell me what do you think, but don't expect Mozart. Its the result of around 30 minutes of work. So no fireworks.

You can listen to/get the music for free from here
01/02/2016 12:32 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/31/2015 8:42 am
irbis777
Small Update ""Black Holes Suck!"

So I was just about to FINALLY start adding resources (mineable roids, gas clouds crystals) to the game when I've noticed I had to do something wrong in the sector generation code. Exactly Black Holes placement and collisions detection. Its quite important because we don't want our Black Holes to spawn in the middle of sector's sun or on a planet, right? Would look stupid. So couldn't find a fix right away and I am still working on it. But before finding a bullet proof solution - I thought about some extra measures to avoid such nasty situation and... Well, now the Black Holes actually EAT planets! :O They slowly suck them in. Then, at closer distance, the planet starts getting shredded and bits and pieces of the planet fall into the Black Hole with the mother planet still getting closer. When the Planet reaches the "Point of No Return" its crust losses integrity and the planet core explodes. Bottom line - more interactions! Or as the guys from good old Black Isle used to say:
"Its not a bug - its a feature!"

12/31/2015 1:53 am
irbis777
amazoDog161
amazoDog161
Okay, Twitter will work fine

Oh yeah: completely forgot to mention that my twitter is @isasftw

Followed you right away =)
12/30/2015 5:36 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/30/2015 12:15 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
IronWolf16
I skimmed through most posts, but tell me, inspired by the original series? Or by the new one?
I was a huge fan of the originals, never got to finish the series before Netflix go rid of it though (IDK if the DO still have it, I just havnt checked..)
12/30/2015 2:20 pm
irbis777
Firefly? I am still sending life threats to Fox inbox for canceling the show, from time to time. Battlestar? Only the new series, after Cylons vaporize most of human kind. The show - was epic... at least till they decided to settle down on that cold planet. Then the whole show suddenly turned into some soap-opera in space and I couldn't force myself to keep watching. But the first 1-3 seasons? Gold. Pure, virgin, natural gold nugget. One big battle ship, couple of smaller ones. Refinery, garden ship, city ship, factory ship. Like space nomads. Cutting through the big empty, trying to survive. That vibe was SOOO powerful.
And reread the thread god damnit! I haven't wrote that walls of text without a reason!
12/30/2015 3:34 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/30/2015 4:08 pm
irbis777
I will risk saying its one of the best SciFi TV show out there... Till season 3 haha. I really dare you to watch it. Its great!
12/30/2015 12:12 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/30/2015 10:33 am
irbis777
amazoDog161
irbis777

Both would be awesome. Follow me to my Facebook and look for my inner group - that's where I interact with people personally

Sorry, I'd really prefer not to give out my Facebook... Is there some other communication platform you could use?
Btw, what country are you from?

Oh I mean I have a fanpage, a User Group and Twitter.

I am from Poland
12/30/2015 10:27 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/30/2015 9:49 am
irbis777
UPDATE!
So I've added stray asteroids that fly here and there. But they are not just static decoration, oh no! They are quite interactive (I mean, for a fat chunks of space rocks. Its not like they talk or camp at Starbucks) which stands for hitting each other, colliding with suns, planets, being sucked into Black Holes if too close, or even your and enemy ships! That's right folks, better install couple of those Point Defense stations. Just in case. Otherwise you might find your hull covered with holes like a Swiss cheese. Not to spoil the fun but... With the right but quite rare tools - you might find a way to actually use those stray asteroids to your advantage... (wink wink)

Now, time for some long promised - MOVING PICTURES!!!
Sadly... I could not just record a video. The game is light-weight and nicely optimized but still... My workstation PC is around 7 years old with a lot of its hardware at the edge of expiration. Video recording, specially in high definition and 60FPS always rapes your PC, regardless do you record newest Far Cry or Windows Solitary. Sadly, My PC has proven to be unable to record a smooth and solid 60FPS in HD. So instead - I've made a animated GIFs.

The bad news? The quality suuuuuuuucks & swallows due to GIF 256 colors limitation, shitty framerate and big size of the images. But hey, that's all I could do for now. Do yourself a favor and after opening this page - just leave it for a while. The total size of all images is around 50 MB. So be patient young padawan - Its worth it. Anyway, lets take a tour, shall we?

Nasty Black Hole sucking in all those poor asteroids

Yellow Dwarf burning gloriously.

An elder Red Dwarf.

Ancient Neutron Star brightening the eternal dark...

Raging Pulsar, bursting and turning faster then the human eye can see.

amazoDog161The images so far look absolutely awesome! I'll definitely keep an eye on this, just make sure to keep the discussion going, i want to see this in the latest 20 posts section quite often As for the engine, this being Construct 2, i'd imagine it's 2D? Also, what you said about moving to a 3D engine, UE will take a 5% royalty of all funds you receive after you've crossed the 3,000$ revenue mark. Unity, on the other hand, has just been updated, and most features are now completely free, and only a handful of them are pro-only. (Mostly cloud-build, and reduced prices for assets and that kinda thing...) With Unity, you pay 1,500$ (one-time) after you've made 100,000$.

Technically both engines can do all of the same things. For me personally, Unity's interface is more intuitive than UE's, and the licensing is better, as with UE you always lose 3%, but with unity it's one-time...

Anyway, looking forward to see more from this game!

PS. I really like how the Screenshots on the OP look like an old map D

I am honored and glad! I am really pumping all my skills into this one. Polishing any carving any edges I can find. I am happy it doesn't go unnoticed.

Yes the game is 2D. That's what I prefer to work with plus - that's all I can afford right now. 3D games requires 10 times more work, resources and money. None of which I currently posses.

As of Unity Vs Unreal, to keep it short - I know everything about both of them, and I still would go with Unreal. Any time of day or night. All odds and arguments included. But hey, "rock and stones". They are all tools. What matters is what you can do with them. What are you capable of doing. So its more of a matter of taste.

And thank you for noticing the map layer! It very intended. You see, when I was a small kid, living in a country that broke free from communism just couple of years after my birth, not being able to actually travel around the world - I've always LOVED to just take maps or earth globe and imagine/pretend I am traveling... With my finger on the map . Imagining my adventures. Using the map just as trigger and stimulant. I wanted to bring some of that here. I want the game, being as beautiful as it is even now in its early alpha, to be as a guideline. I want to invite my players into imagining things that are not there, but are hinted. I want my player to get sucked in, like when reading a immerse book. But my book is living, breathing and moving. And interactive. Stellar Flux (that's the name of the game btw ) is a child of my pure passion and long-forgotten dreams... This sounds cliche and biased but - I am not making this game with money in mind. I am making this game for that 10 years old me, who always wanted to play a game such as this - but never could. Its a tribute to my childhood and the golden gaming era of '90s.

A Dream weaved to Reality.

amazoDog161Also, if you need help with beta-testing or videos, i can help

Both would be awesome. Follow me to my Facebook and look for my inner group - that's where I interact with people personally
12/29/2015 12:39 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/29/2015 12:22 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/29/2015 10:06 am
irbis777
New delivery! Lets see what Santa brought this year!~

Black Holes? Checked!

Pulsars.? Coming right up!

Next stop: Asteroids/Crystals/Gas Clouds
12/25/2015 2:43 pm
irbis777
Some more spaceporn =) Planets + Shadow casting system.
12/23/2015 8:23 am
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
Haha no problem You'll learn quickly, managing PR and gamedev both at the same time feels difficult at first but you get used to it. As for the update page, just hit the edit button on your original post and you'll be able to keep your information upto date.

I've never used Construct, do you like it? Our team uses Unity for development. You can grab the personal edition for free and you only miss out on a small handful of features compared to the Pro version. And I know what you mean about games emptying your wallet, it's worse for indie studios as well because we usually have to fund it all ourselves until we have something to sell.
12/23/2015 8:45 am
irbis777
For me its a nightmare. I mean the PR. I am just one guy. So I have to do everything by myself.
-Coding
-Writing
-Animations
-Graphics
-sounds effects
-music
-models
-textures
-debugging and playtesting
-PR & Marketing
-Videos

And the list goes on. You know by yourself how much work there is to be done, regardless how big is your game. Half of the above are present do you make a tetris remake or new indie Far Cry.

As for Unity - I have allergy for it hehe. I've been playing around with it like 3 years ago. But it totally did not suit my needs. Plus, I've discovered that it becomes drastically expensive if you want the whole package and all wrappers. In the other hand - UE will force me to pay money only when I cross that high income from the games, and in case of C2 - I just pay once and that's it.

Do I like it... Good question. I like it for what it is. I hate it, for what it could be, but its not. The engine has huge potential. But the guys behind the engine are... Well. Lets just say that there are constant problems with the Dev<->User information exchange. They listen to the wrong people and they ignore the one who's right. Which handicaps the progress and development. Drastically limiting the engine popularity and evolution... For which they remain blind. Obviously.
12/23/2015 7:58 am
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
Hey

It looks like you've made a great start to the game. You should keep an updated page on the forums here, we did the same with our game and it's given us loads of helpful feedback. Also, are you using an engine or building it from scratch?

Good luck with development!
12/23/2015 8:07 am
irbis777
Wow! Hello my fellow gamedev! The world is smaller then we think.

Thank you VERY kindly! About the update page - how do I do that? I mean, a forum thread about the game? Or requesting subforums? How does it work? I am not very good at this whole PR thing. I mean I am too honest and with zero split attention. I mostly dug myself down in code and graphics and forget about the whole world outside.

As for the engine - that'll be Construct 2. Its not really an engine of my choice but thats all I can afford right now. I dream about newest Unreal Engine as I am a huge and old fan of Epic and their creations. But 3d game can really murder your wallet and my is already having some "near-death-experience" if you catch my drift ^_^
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome