Create A Universe With Other Writers!!!

2 emeralds 497 replies 27,639 views | started 06/16/2016 12:11 pm by JediJerboa
Chron suggested on Tylakya's forum on creating a universe since it seems it has been abandoned. Well, by Tylakya at least. I plan to start completely from scratch and create a blog online for the universe. I want to go with the sci-fi genre, but that's the only limitation I'm putting on this thread. If you need to contact me directly, go ahead and private message me but make sure you also post on this forum. So get creative and post your ideas!
Posted by avatar
JediJerboa
Contest Judge
Level 25 : Expert Pokemon

497 replies

08/17/2017 8:46 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Still waiting for a response on merging Clash of Unity and this universe. I wish to develop it further, but revising a project of this scale may take forever if I were to continue by myself.
08/14/2017 4:42 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
I have recovered some of the old information h=and have come to these conclusions:
- The powerful gods of my old writing can be transformed into the celestial powers that were proposed earlier.

- The Japanese mythology, including many of the creatures, could fit nicely into the story. I already have an idea for a face-hugger alien that could prove quite deadly.

- The humans of this story can be changed to aliens or human that evolved against a harsh environment.

- The Fissure, the barrier between the normal world and the distorted world can give this race powers by tapping into the distorted realm. This could prove useful for inter-dimensional travel.

- A figure known as the Ivory Knight was present in the original work, a figure more powerful than the gods themselves. I would like to pose that this one, if not the only, remaining member of an ancient race. This person could play a big part in their culture and religion.

- This race could possibly build artificial bodies for the Living Crystals, their bond with them allowing them to carry out different tasks. Some may act on their accord sometimes, but loyalty is of utmost importance. Still, some of the Living Crystals can go rogue, their new body giving them a deadly freedom.

- The powers possessed by the original characters could possibly be seen as over the top, so I will try to tone them down as much as I can.

I am still waiting for your response. This idea can dropped at any moment, but it is up to you if it stays or not. That is all for now. Long live Emperor Litalvius!
08/13/2017 12:40 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
My fellow Gaians, I have a proposition for you. Rupert mentioned to me that some ideas could be used for this thread instead of just swirling in my head and blocking my ability to write. It made me remember something. A long time ago, I made a thread for a manga idea I had made. It never seemed to stick and I had trouble coming up with new ideas. But once I looked back at the vast amount of work I and many others put into it, I figured I could not let such ideas go to waste. I understand that these ideas are almost nothing alike, yet I am willing to whatever I must to salvage such work.

I will begin transferring these ideas and editing them for this thread, but I shall also try and find the original thread for a point of reference. It is your choice whether I enact this plan, but it would be great to see old ideas be given new life and see the light of day.

If you wish to read the old information, click here. Note that not all the information is posted there, and I cannot post anything new on it. I will only post the written notes if it so desired.
08/07/2017 11:10 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Welcome back rupert! It's good to see you back on the thread!

As for new ideas, I believe it may be best that I look through all the old story ideas that I have abandoned. It would quite a waste if I just left them under piles of notebooks and never think about them again. I shall report what I have found once I have finished my review.

As for the inter-workings of Gaia, it is something that still needs fleshing out, though a general idea is present. Influential nobles are present, but much of the Emperor's decision making is based around the opinions of his advisers, a position gained by mental capability rather than wealth. Corruption is present in every government, and Gaia has its fair share of it. Nobles will often bribe officials into different opinions, important information can be withheld from the public, and even bias against alien races. However, Emperor Litalvius is quite perceptive of shady behavior, and often tests the loyalty of his advisers.

The aquatic beings are still up for grabs, so you are more than welcome to develop them in whatever way you wish. A precursor species would also be quite nice, an idea I willing to work with and perfect. As for other galactic powers, I have started work on a aerial-based species and will not be as humanoid as the last few aliens.

The story arcs are some of my favorite parts to work on. In fact, I'm almost finished with the beginning of Roman and Remington's story, starting with the fall of the last Swan Song fleet. Haywire has also had a lot more put into it, with new characters popping up left and right.

And finally, I think that a review of some old material is necessary, as there may be ideas that are no longer relevant or do not seem to fit in this universe. I can review it myself and will share any points of interest I find. Thanks again for helping me out, rupert. Gaia honors you!
08/09/2017 4:29 pm
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
As for the Precursors, they could be a shaggy, mammoth-like species 5-8 meters tall. They vanished suddenly and mysteriously, leaving behind several artefacts. There should be a story arc where the protagonist has a Precursor ship, and defends the galaxy from a centipede-like species and its thrall species. By the way, the ship should be called the Vindicator...
08/11/2017 11:42 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
This is definitely quite interesting, and could follow an intergalactic treasure hunter, learning all they can about the Precursors and using their artifacts to defeat their foes.He may also need to build a crew, possibly comprised of companions the protagonist stumbles upon. I'll think about giving a name to the centipede-like species and possibly add some lore. As for the Vindicator, I think it is a fine name for the vessel.
08/09/2017 3:29 pm
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
"JediJerboa"The aquatic beings are still up for grabs, so you are more than welcome to develop them in whatever way you wish...

Ok, thank you. I'll submit some ideas them.

Due to a need for appendages, I think they should be based off of cephalopods. They're body/head should be no bigger than the human torso. They should probally also have several blow-holes, as to provide speed. They could be deep-sea dwelling, and as such their language could use colours rather than verbal words, via bioluminescence. There's a picture that quite accurately depicts my idea, actually.

Of course, this is sci-fi, so, in words,
Cuttlefish with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Or, tentacles...
08/11/2017 11:43 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
That looks awesome. I can't wait to hear more about them!
08/02/2017 4:04 pm
Level 1 New Crafter
FIDDLESTlCKS
I'm willing to help.
08/03/2017 12:51 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Thanks man! I look forward to hearing your ideas!
08/02/2017 10:45 am
Level 16 Journeyman Nerd
The Impulse
I'd love to help
08/02/2017 10:54 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Great! Got any ideas you'd like to share now, or would like to develop them a little further? If you would like, I can type you up a brief summary of what this universe entails and some of the key parts of the story.
08/02/2017 10:27 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Progress has been made, but it is little since I'm having trouble with coming up with new ideas for Gaia. I was planning to go in an aquatic direction, and I have gotten a bit of inspiration from the movie Valerian. I must sincerely apologize for the delay in new information, a mistake I hope to fix in the near future.
08/03/2017 2:19 pm
Level 43 Master Dwarf
spires33
Are you having a bit of writers block? As another writer i have found that being outside and in nature really helps me. Also its cool to see so many people pitching in on one universe.
08/05/2017 11:14 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Yeah, I do have a bit of writer's block, but I've also got some other ideas in my head for other stories. I'm also concerned over what areas I should focus, but I haven't gotten any feedback to help me. If I were to act on my own accord for the story, I fear I might ruin someone else's work. It's also nice to hear some fresh ideas, as it helps me get a ton of inspiration. So, if anyone wants to pitch in or just read some of the existing lore and give your opinion, I gladly invite you to do so.
07/20/2017 9:05 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
So, this week's progress has been slow since my entire day has been taken up by classes, but I think I can resume my normal work next week. I'm still open to fresh ideas, so don't be shy about sharing your thoughts.
07/10/2017 9:22 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't made any recent updates. It's been a real roller coaster ride these past few days with a lot of external factors affecting my ability to produce content. I will say, however, I managed to get the ball rolling for the stories of Gaia's greatest heroes, Roman and Remington Barcatier. I also plan to look at some more sci-fi stories, including Valerian, for inspiration.

In other big news, I am attending courses to help improve my comic making skills. I do not want to make it official, but I am considering the creation of a comic for this universe. My style is a dark and gritty one, so I think it would fit well with the stories of Gaia. But only time will tell. Be sure to tell me what you think and possibly give me suggestions for this idea.
07/11/2017 1:13 pm
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
Nice!

I honestly really do look forward to any comics you make!
07/12/2017 9:22 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Thanks man, I just don't know which story I want to start with. Heck, I don't think even thought about what half of the characters look like!
06/25/2017 9:54 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Thought I would let you all know that I'm creating an origin for Gaia, or at least the origins for Roman and Remington Barcatier. I've also been looking back to find some inspiration for aliens, not only in my past writing, but old stories I read as well. I've started work on an ice world with some very interesting aliens and creatures.

It might be also good to note that I heard a lot of good solutions to the religion issue that have helped me smooth out the framework for a lot of alien cultures. For example, the Meriones believe in different types of energy that stem from a corresponding god. These gods may materialize and bless an unborn child to become a demigod, a warrior willing to fight in the name of their supposed parent.

These cosmic gods are also in other cultures, but behave quite differently in each one, as is the case with the ancestors of the Drakodems, who believed that certain dragon gods created gemstones of significant power and gave them to the earth, The wearers inherited the powers of the stones, creating the different types of power seen in their race. The modern Drakodems see this as a myth, but still believe that some forces imbue the heroes of their race with different skills.

I haven't fleshed out the details of these religions, but I don't think it will be too much of a challenge. I'm also interested in hearing about other areas that are being developed, so don't be shy about sharing your ideas. Remember, Gaia's future rests in your hands!
06/16/2017 11:36 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
"Is that th-"

"The Emperor Litalvius is what?"

And yet despite all the questions the citizens of Gaia had, their ruler stood before them in the flesh, with a troubled face and an uneasy gait.

"My fellow Gaians," the Emperor's voice boomed, "I am in great need of you. Just two days ago, the last loyal fleet admiral of the Swan Song, Admiral Barcatier, has been killed along with much of his fleet. For almost twenty years now, we have tried to battle these traitors in silence, but now they have made a horrific show of it all. This is war, citizens of Gaia."

Whispers shot through the crowd.

"War? But-"

"The traitors will-"

"What are we going to do?"

A voice echoed against the cacophony of panic, but it was not the Emperor who spoke.

"It seems my prophecy has come to pass, my fellow Gaians," a stranger proclaimed. "Only four days ago, you saw me as the madman Archamo Terran, but now, I stand as an advisor to Emperor Litalvius. But, I still preach the same message. Unite, all citizens, unite! We must stand together and teach these traitors the punishment for their disobedience! Hope may seem like a rare commodity in these times, but I'm sure if we fight as one, we shall harvest faith in spades!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy one-year anniversary citizens of Gaia! It's been a wild ride getting here, but it's been such a fun time. I hope Gaia's long reign continues and many new stories and characters can come out of it!
06/16/2017 12:53 pm
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
A pleasant anniversary, Gaia!

"JediJerboa"Listen to my words, fellow citizens of Gaia! Hear my words and heed them well! I have seen a vision, our Emperor implores us to take up arms in war! Against whom, you may ask? Why, the traitors among us, waiting to strike at any moment! To think, when humanity created an intergalactic empire that includes hundreds of alien cultures, its greatest opponent would be among their race! My fellow Gaians, I know what I have seen, do not think me mad! My prophecy shall come true in four days time, I am sure of it! Please, do not turn a blind eye on the truth! It shall be your doom! I-
End of footage.

"..."

*Shrugs* Well, it's four days time, guess we'll never know that prophecy...
06/12/2017 9:31 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Listen to my words, fellow citizens of Gaia! Hear my words and heed them well! I have seen a vision, our Emperor implores us to take up arms in war! Against whom, you may ask? Why, the traitors among us, waiting to strike at any moment! To think, when humanity created an intergalactic empire that includes hundreds of alien cultures, its greatest opponent would be among their race! My fellow Gaians, I know what I have seen, do not think me mad! My prophecy shall come true in four days time, I am sure of it! Please, do not turn a blind eye on the truth! It shall be your doom! I-
End of footage.

"..."
06/06/2017 10:26 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
"rupert"
"PixelNinja112"About the religions, one possibility could be that theres is some sort of supernatural presence in the universe, and the different religions worship different parts of it. So it would kind of like the blind men and the elephant story (the one where each one thinks the elephant is a different thing because they only see one part of it). Each religion looks at one part and sees that, but in the end there is one supernatural god-like presence which controls the universe.

I do like this idea, thank you for the idea!

I've seen many universes where this idea is successful, so I think Gaia could definitely benefit from it. I shall set to work on it at once!
06/05/2017 11:39 am
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
"OppositeGuy"
"Parallellus"But in all seriousness, are we talking sci-fi as in space-faring, or simply advanced technology? I feel like having half the galaxy already explored/at war with itself would limit us in what we can make up. Plus, it's always cool to have a very detailed world over a few notable ones, such as saying "this is desert world where this group is from, this is ice world where it's hard to live, etc". I like the idea of exploring the society of one world and a moon, like an alternate (note that I didn't say "future") version of our own Earth+Moon combo.

If the civilization on-world is in a sci-fi era, what kind of sci-fi is it? Is the entirety of the surface covered in steel, is it a natural utopia where 99% of the population was slaughtered for the sake of keeping the world from dying, or is it a mixture of the two, focusing on logic and empathy in equal measure?

I think that a natural biome or world would be less cliche and it also allows more possibilities for extra-terrestrial creatures and natural structures.

Maybe, though since Parallellus' post we have more or less settled on this being a Space Opera, a subtype of science fiction that has a emphasis on space combat and takes place on multiple planets or similar celestial bodies (or deep space). Your idea is good, though!
06/05/2017 11:31 am
Level 1 New Miner
OppositeGuy
"Parallellus"But in all seriousness, are we talking sci-fi as in space-faring, or simply advanced technology? I feel like having half the galaxy already explored/at war with itself would limit us in what we can make up. Plus, it's always cool to have a very detailed world over a few notable ones, such as saying "this is desert world where this group is from, this is ice world where it's hard to live, etc". I like the idea of exploring the society of one world and a moon, like an alternate (note that I didn't say "future") version of our own Earth+Moon combo.

If the civilization on-world is in a sci-fi era, what kind of sci-fi is it? Is the entirety of the surface covered in steel, is it a natural utopia where 99% of the population was slaughtered for the sake of keeping the world from dying, or is it a mixture of the two, focusing on logic and empathy in equal measure?

I think that a natural biome or world would be less cliche and it also allows more possibilities for extra-terrestrial creatures and natural structures.
06/04/2017 7:55 pm
Level 14 Journeyman Architect
PixelNinja112
About the religions, one possibility could be that theres is some sort of supernatural presence in the universe, and the different religions worship different parts of it. So it would kind of like the blind men and the elephant story (the one where each one thinks the elephant is a different thing because they only see one part of it). Each religion looks at one part and sees that, but in the end there is one supernatural god-like presence which controls the universe.
06/05/2017 11:39 am
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
I do like this idea, thank you for the idea! :D
06/04/2017 8:35 am
Level 35 Artisan Herobrine
ForsakenPineapple
looks nice.
05/30/2017 10:31 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
I thought I would discuss a little hiccup I ran into while defining the Meriones race. My concern is the religion of the species, as it has a big tie to the Reflections and what they can do. It would make some characters demigods and others prophets. I've kept in mind that the Meriones get much of their inspiration from North Africa and the Arabic culture, so I wanted to keep that theme running in their beliefs. But here's where the hiccup comes in.

If there were any higher powers that give the Meriones their powers, what's to say they won't have any effect on any other race? And knowing Gaia, they'll want to know what this higher power is and see if it threatens their Empire. And if there are demigods, that could raise the question of demigods in other races. I might have to work on some religion development and see if I can connect the dots between all these different cultures. There is already one link, pertaining to the Hreindyri, if you remember them. In late August, the Hreindyri graze on the Meriones' joy during their most celebrated festival.
05/28/2017 2:24 pm
Level 19 Journeyman Warrior
IndyJacksonTT
Thanks JediJerboa!
I should give him some weaknesses!
He kinda already has some, to a certain type of element...
05/28/2017 2:04 pm
IndyJacksonTT
The reason his name is Octosis is because he commands 8 mighty spacecrafts of massive size!
When I say massive, I mean like, as big as a galaxy!
05/28/2017 1:59 pm
IndyJacksonTT
And his intelligence is beyond anything else in existence!
Because he uses his extreme power to gain knowledge of everything in existence!
05/26/2017 10:06 pm
IndyJacksonTT
How about this, this idea is my property, so ease don't use it in anything you do, please!

An inner-dimensional force that tomes the universe seeking to destroy everything in its path!

Purpose: Wipe out everything on existence, create a new existence.

Method of destruction: Using 4 massive 1000 large space crafts to circle a planet and fire massive 100 mile thick chains into the planet's core and rotate around until the planet is just a bunch of asteroids!

Leader: Octosis, inner-dimensional being of mass destruction, who's power is unmatched! Having the capability to freeze you in place forever and destroying multiverses!!!

How does that sound?
05/28/2017 12:32 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Seems a bit cliche, if you ask me. Many universes have a race along those guidelines. Take for instance the Tyranid race from Warhammer 40K. Their sole purpose is to kill off other races so only their race may flourish, sucking all the life from the planets they land on in the process. It's an idea that's been done so many times that it's hard to create a fresh take on it.

The leader you mentioned also seems a bit unoriginal, as there are many characters in fiction who can freeze time and can destroy multiverses. He also seems like the leader that would get too cocky and give a hero a massive opening for an attack, spelling his downfall.

This is only a critique, so you don't have to take my advice. I and the Empire of Gaia wish you the best of luck in your writing endeavors!
05/28/2017 1:55 pm
IndyJacksonTT
I got the idea for it from a dream...
If you're wondering Octosis is not cocky in any way, He also has some abilities that I forgot to mention, Like sensing opponents moves!

He much different from some other characters, how he works, if he's killed he will eventually reform himself octillion times as powerful!
He is always at the peak of any nations in existence, due to the fact that temps the leader of the strongest nation in existence until he kills the leader of that nation, therefore ruling the strongest force of power!
05/26/2017 9:05 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Jibril Al-Lazward was a young Meriones warrior training as a janissary in the small village of Qualib in the region of Al-Qobbah. A crafty youth, he would often gain his pay through questionable means, such a picking change from customers of the marketplace. But he could never be such a petty criminal, for his older sister, Kahlilah Sukkar, wouldn't allow such behavior to prosper. She and her betrothed husband cared for him and allowed him to continue his training. She was very protective of her little brother, often fearing he may do something that could be penalized with death.

When Jibril was returning from training, he came upon a horrifying sight. A local guard was beating a child over the meager crime of stealing a small loaf of bread. A spirit of rage burned within Jibril, forcing him to take a firm grip on his scimitar. Unsheathing the blade, Jibril charged at the guard, taking him by surprise. His foe was quick to correct the fool's mistake, striking hard and fast against the lesser warrior. It became evident that Jibil was to pay dearly for such an illegal action, however, a strange power awoke with the poor youth, giving him a strength like he had never seen.

The guard prepared a finishing blow, bringing down his blade in heavy arc. However, the sword was stopped by a beam of light, causing the guard to stagger back in shock. Jibril stared at his hands, wondering what he had just conjured. The guard seemed to be only more enraged, and began to swing his scimitar in a flurry of deadly slashes. Jibril pulled up his hands in defense, light streaking to meet each incoming blow. Jibril wondered if this power had any other use.

He imagined a clean slash, bringing his hands down in a powerful strike. The light flashed again, clashing against the guard's sword with a metallic wail. Jibril's confidence was growing, adding more skill to his swipes, looking as if he were fighting an invisible ghost. The guard could no longer keep the pace, his strikes becoming weak and sloppy. With all his might, Jibril pulled his hand into a powerful arc, the radiant edge of the beam slicing across the guard's face. Blinded by his own blood, the guard stumbled and fell to the ground, crying out in agony. Jibril looked around for the child he had seen, finding her huddled in a corner, clutching the loaf of bread as if it were a doll. He spoke to her softly, embracing her in a gentle hug until her weeping ceased. He handed her some money to pay for the bread before he disappeared into the night. As he walked home, Jibril contemplated the power he had just wielded and the purpose it may serve in his life.
05/14/2017 11:30 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
So, I have started work on the Rose Thorns, a part of Gaia's biowarfare division. As we've already discussed, the leader of this group is Hexstella Luniflor, a member of the Dendrocus race. Feel free to get creative with this idea, as the information is sparse.
05/15/2017 4:16 pm
Level 37 Artisan Droid
rupert
*nods* I do plan on implementing weapons for this division.
05/16/2017 12:44 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
rupert, I'd also advise you to take the Dendrocus and design them to suit your needs as warriors with bioweaponry. They are a race capable of creating toxins after all. I know I said I wanted them to have a sort of dryad-look to them, but I feel that this image no longer suits them.
05/11/2017 3:46 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Sorry about using clip, and I made a quick fix to where I mentioned it. Never shall I make that mistake again.

As for what I meant about the "office-bound" workers, well, I was rather referring to them being the security guards of Gaia's data, which would bore a former field agent. I'm sure they would much rather be helping out those still in the field by monitoring enemy security cameras and finding weaknesses in a building's structure than just pressing a key to eliminate an inexperienced foe.

Also, have you taken a look at Sombra from Overwatch? She pretty much embodies what close-quarters hacking might be like, minus the machine pistol. Her ability to hack is quite literally at her fingertips, pulling up a projected keyboard where she can type in some code, simplified for easy access. Once she has a target and she as locked the hack on them, she has pretty much taken away any abilities her foe may have, even the capability to throw an object or run. It only lasts for a little bit, but gives her enough time to either escape by means of invisibility or teleportation or finish off a weak opponent. That's the kind of hacking I think Gaia would find very useful.
05/11/2017 3:01 pm
Level 38 Artisan Unicorn
AirshipsEverywhere
All right, time to answer many questions in one post once I stop vibrating with pure unadulterated rage at your use of "clip" instead of "magazine."

If the bullets transmit their viruses wirelessly, why not just have a transmitter device? Any software firewalls wouldn't be defeated by destroying the housing of any electronics, so the only benefit is you might be able to get through any lead or other RF shielding. Also, they'd only work after several contacts with that specific computer system. Overall it seems like a really specific weapon with few advantages over normally shooting them. What you could do is have virus bullets be a tool of CSRIT, but instead load them in a designated marksman rifle. A specialized M-47 RAMR (rail anti-material rifle, see page 20 for the full rundown on Gaian gear) uses a .50 inch round with a wireless transceiver linked with a computer carried by the operator. The bullet is configurable with any program in the computer's data banks, from viruses to repair code. The weapon system is meant for long-distance application of code, and due to the wireless transmitter of the bullet, a direct hit on infrastructure (the primary target, unless infecting a single cybernetic enemy with a known operating system would accomplish the mission) is unnecessary. Deployment is limited given the very niche role the gun plays. However, it far better represents the role of CSRIT than most other weapon systems available: an indirect and rarely used force remotely targeting enemy infrastructure.

As for electromagnetic weapons, the first one I can think of is the M-14 LDMR, a laser sniper rifle. They could also employ EMP grenades, which would be useful against cybernetic and robotic enemies as well as infrastructure like server hubs, transceivers, and data storage systems. Fair enough with the code. Part of their name is "Intelligence," so they'd naturally try to gain anything that would broaden Gaia's cyber warfare capabilities.

The "office-bound" CSRIT operators are those who are not deployed right now on infiltration or apprehension missions or who are coordinating those missions. CSRIT is a special forces unit. The "protecting Gaian civilians from cyber threats and the occasional nosy hacker" is the definition of the entire branch of Cyber Warfare. CSRIT is only called when a cyber threat requires a more kinetic response than counter-hacking and/or local law enforcement is insufficient to deal with the threat. Back to those "office-bound" operators, they are helping out their deployed comrades by either directing the missions or gathering Intel and coordinating other assets to support the mission. Since they're so small and specialized, it doesn't make much sense to have them stuck up in roles conventional Cyber Warfare personnel can fill. CSRIT is trusted with the same level of information as any Cyber Warfare personnel. They have additional combat, SERE, and covert ops training because their missions require it, but otherwise they're just ordinary members of Cyber Warfare. High ranking officers would obviously have knowledge of CSRIT operations, and through the unification umbrella provided by Special Operations Command, probably know more about other SPECWAR unit operations than a field-deployed team or CyberWarfare computer operator, but that just comes with the Staff job and isn't necessarily because they're an O-7 in CSRIT. Cyber has no real reason to work closely with Temporal Warfare.

I'm not concerned with how they fight organic opponents; they do it the same way a direct action force does. A comparable unit would be Marine Corps Rangers, who are an intelligence-gathering unit that also does direct strikes when needed. They're more careful than a Special Assault Team like Star Raptor, whose sole purpose is to kick butt and take names, but even a SAT needs stealth to get to and from their objective. Ranger units like Silver Aquila have to be careful since they're usually dropped deep in enemy territory to gather intelligence, conduct sabotage, and train indigenous forces to fight for Gaia. Think of CSRIT as a specialized Ranger unit focused on cyber sabotage. Unless cyborgs are widely fielded by opponents of Gaia, I don't think they'd be too worried about a mess. Bullets can be messy, but so can any weapon. They can also be not very messy if applied well. I should probably point out now that CSRIT stands for "Cyber Sabotage, Reconaissance and Intelligence Teams." I never intended for them to serve as an intelligence agency like MI6 or the CIA with lone agents or two man elements going into deep cover to accomplish a mission. CSRIT units go in as squads, so 8-10 men. Plenty to provide overwatch during the infiltration stage.
05/11/2017 9:27 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Anyone else a bit concerned on how the CSRIT will fight off organic opponents? Because if they kill anything with organic matter, it will be a mess, and messes leave trails. One stealth trope is hide unconscious bodies in nearby lockers, vents, and garbage bins. They can't spill any blood, since any enemy with enhanced cybernetics could pick up the traces before an agent could clean it. So, maybe carrying some tranquilizer darts might prove beneficial to them. It might also be fun to have some drugged treats if there are any patrol animals in the area.
05/09/2017 9:15 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Also, anyone want to discuss the different roles of the office-bound agents of CSRIT? They must want to help out their fellow agents rather than dealing with just protecting Gaian civilians from cyber threats and the occasional nosy hacker. Also, what kind of information are the CSRIT trusted with? May some high-ranking officers of CSRIT have better knowledge of Gaia's Temporal Warfare units than most, or will they be kept in the dark like most Gaian citizens?
05/08/2017 11:11 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
It might also be beneficial if the CSRIT carried some electric-based weapons, as it might be easier just to fry some cyborgs rather than waste precious ammunition in some cases. These weapons might be a little too loud to use in the most secure of areas, and this also can come with the issue of disposing evidence. However, if the situation is dire, weapons of this nature could come in handy.

It should also be required that if a new code be encountered, agents should be required to try and salvage any hardware or information from this enemy so that Gaia may learn to crack it and prepare to face the code in combat. This is sometimes impossible as some codes will delete all files and data if it is tampered with.
05/05/2017 11:48 pm
Level 38 Artisan Unicorn
AirshipsEverywhere
The weapons seem fine. Smart bullets are a thing now so it's not a stretch for ~500+ years from now to have rounds that can do something like that, especially since Gaia uses 7.62mm for the most part instead of 5.56. The only issue I have with the virus bullets is the transmission. Does the virus transmit wirelessly into the cyborg enemy? It'll destroy any electronics on impact, so there's not an avenue to transfer data to the cyborg. I think it's an interesting idea, but you'd also have to make sure the virus is written in and works in whatever language the cybernetic OS is written. I suppose you could have it be some kind of interpreter or pure binary machine code, but that still assumes the OS uses binary like Gaia does. All that could be moot depending on how quantum computers end up, since I imagine Gaia would have mostly transitioned to those once they advance beyond their current infancy. Maybe quantum computer systems are more susceptible to certain bits (hehe) of code regardless of the language.

CSRIT is more of a covert special warfare unit, so while it makes sense they'd have more specialized weapons, their primary targets are enemy computer, communication, intelligence, and surveillence technologies, not necessarily cyborgs. They'd be much more likely to infiltrate a hostile alien quantum communication satellite and install a Gaian wiretap without being noticed than to fight robots. Special Assault Teams like Star Raptor and Ranger units like Silver Aquila would handle these more direct action operations in the event the regular Army or Marines couldn't handle it. CSRIT only really goes on direct assaults when the target is specifically cyber-related, like a hacking base. That's not to say they don't fight robots, since I'd imagine they might be pretty well equipped to fight something electronic, but they're not often a front line special forces group.
05/06/2017 12:17 am
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Smart bullets should be specialized for their targets, with agents carrying different magazines for each different code. This does often lead to ammo shortages or even rendering combat impossible if the enemy's code is new and has not been documented by Gaia. For this reason, many agents of the CSRIT try not to engage in combat, but will silence an opponent if they must. Also, the bullets only pierce through the metal shell of an enemy's cybernetics and then allows for a wireless tap on the system. Their accuracy must still be accurate, for one wrong shot can destroy the cybernetics' interworkings.

As for their role as a special forces team, I never wished them to be frontline fighters. I only included the cyborgs bit as security will be very tight in the areas that the CSRIT are trying to infiltrate. Fighting powerful rogue AI and taking down any enemy databases should be their specialty, and should be carried out as stealthily as possible.
05/05/2017 2:10 pm
Level 38 Artisan Unicorn
AirshipsEverywhere
I named them CSRIT. (Cyber Sabotage, Recon and Intelligence Teams) Not all units need to have catchy titles.
05/05/2017 2:52 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
This is very true. Consider the name official then.

Also, what's your opinion on the weapons? I'm willing to take anything back to the drawing board if it is so required.
05/05/2017 1:02 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Doing some research on what the Cyberwarfare special forces team may be like... *cough* *cough* playing Sombra *cough*.

Sorry. Allergies are rough. But seriously, a character named Sombra from the game Overwatch definitely captures much of what I wanna see from this special forces group. She has augments that allows her to take her hacking abilities into battle rather than just sitting at a computer and she has some tools that her allow her to slip in and out of attack sites unnoticed. I'll be using her as a base for this team and I'll try and make them as unique as possible

I've developed some weapons for the team, mainly concerning how they may disable electronics or corrupt data. Many of their weapons will not rely on computers or any vulnerable tech, so a member of this special forces team can be counted on to have great weapon accuracy and carry at least one melee weapon. One thing I've come up with for mainly cyborg opponents are virus-infected bullets, the main component being a program that discreetly tap into the cybernetics of an enemy, then proceeding to either destroy it or transmit the data received to the agent who fired the shot. A more organic version is also used, but this team rarely has need for them as they are usually pitted against robots and cyborgs. EMPs will definitely be important, so some grenades with the ability to release a heavy EMP pulse is crucial. It should be noted that those working on this special forces teams may not have any disabling cybernetics, and must be turned off when working with some of their equipment. Any agent who sustains such an injury is office-bound for the rest of his/her service.

As for being able to escape, some reflector shields will definitely be given to provide some form of camouflage. Some Meriones might take part in this unit, but it may be hard for them to work with technology they are not familiar with. It may also be hard to equip this team with any Living Crystals, as they could damage them beyond repair. They'll have to operate their gear manually, but this shouldn't be difficult with their hacking augmentations. Translocation, or teleporting, is also an option, so establishing a point they can quick teleport away to might be critical to an member's survival. Quick hack commands are built into their gear, targeting everything in a small radius, giving them the options to temporarily blind, damage, and even mind wipe any vulnerable foes. This readout also gives info on any target, displaying any information Gaia may have on a foe, allowing a member to plan out a form of attack or escape.

Still stuck on a name, does anyone have suggestions? I've considered Power Surge, but I think it sounds dumb.
05/03/2017 10:39 pm
Level 38 Artisan Unicorn
AirshipsEverywhere
See page 14 for all details about Gaia's military.
05/04/2017 4:07 pm
Level 25 Expert Pokemon
JediJerboa
Dang, I forgot about the Cyberwarfare special forces team! Well, I know where my focus is going. Jibril's almost done, so I think I'll start on these guys. Did they have a specific name or did we not give them one?

Search

Browse

Site

© planetminecraft.com

Welcome