Messaging App, need input and ideas!

CascadianX's Avatar CascadianX10/20/14 12:09 am
10/21/2014 11:34 pm
CascadianX's Avatar CascadianX
Hey guys, I do a lot of Android development and I was working on an idea that spawned recently and I got my friend to help me out. We are going to be making an app for messaging that is super secure and not an issue with invasion of privacy from the person you are messaging or a third-party attempting to view your connection.

View what the app is about on my site. I made a special section just for it on my server

http://www.sherwoodgaming.com/app

This app will be open both Android and iOS and possibly Windows Phone if I can find developers for that.
CascadianX
Level 44 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/20/2014 6:14 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
AzroWear
You can't stop the government, it depends on how badly they want your information, it all comes down to national security. If your application imposes a threat to national security and allows Terrorist Organisations an effective and easy way to communicate securely you will be facing alot of government intervention and will be forced to comply. Therefore claiming that you can blockade the government from viewing data sent over your network will not suffice.

They're human too you know, it isn't a robot who wants that information from you.
10/20/2014 6:09 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
AzroWear
Trust me. Anything sent over the Internet is not secure no matter how secure you claim it to be. You need to use a combination of encryption methods with multiple passes to generate a secure string. This will only prevent thieves from taking your data.

You can't stop the government, it depends on how badly they want your information, it all comes down to national security. If your application imposes a threat to national security and allows Terrorist Organisations an effective and easy way to communicate securely you will be facing alot of government intervention and will be forced to comply. Therefore claiming that you can blockade the government from viewing data sent over your network will not suffice.
10/21/2014 6:50 pm
CascadianX
It is secure sir, I can't trust you if you aren't being logical. If you send it over the internet... yeah they can snatch the data but what use is it to them if it is encrypted?

I can surely stop the government, they haven't got me pirating spongebob yet. I have all the legal stuff down, even if something down the road they tried to take my services, i'll say good luck cause they will be secured as well, and beyond that in another country. I can comply by disallowing connections to certain locations, but that is it. I am positive I want me marketing my app to Syria or some other Third world country.
10/21/2014 9:53 pm
AzroWear
You do realize the government could care less for piracy over domestic terrorism? I don't see how hosting your services in another country will allow that country to just look the other way when in fact they too will be concerned for their citizens.

I strongly suggest you read/research articles regarding government intervention on commercial applications, such as (Facebook, Outlook, etc.), also if your going to take the path on fighting the government I suggest you have a good lawyer or lawyer's. And $$.

I guess we will have to wait until you publish your application, I'll perform a security analysis and give you a report on how "secure" your services really are.
10/21/2014 11:34 pm
CascadianX
I can promise, I already have good lawyers... I don't drive a 2014 Camaro for nothing. I've already struck big in a few things and money isn't a worry. This was simply just an idea that I have been forming and coding on now for 1 week. I started coding today. This will be as secure as it ever will.
10/20/2014 11:19 am
AzroWear
You can't guarantee the government can't see what your doing/sending.

Secondly, why should I use this app other than it's feature that disables screenshots? Anything sent over the internet is vulnerable, I can easily switch to a competitor such as Vibr, Kik, or even TextPlus.

Lastly, if your idea for encryption is using SSL Certs I don't think that will suffice for what your promising, quoted directly from your website " Encryption helps protect against Hackers, Governments ... from viewing your private and personal messages and photos."
10/20/2014 11:25 am
CascadianX
I think you are throwing the power of encryption a bit under the bus here.
10/20/2014 1:56 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
That's cool :p
10/20/2014 1:50 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Ah, I see. So it's a hybrid messaging app that either sends messages through the net, or through SMS whenever the connection randomly goes down. Interesting. Efficiency and convenience.

If I actually sent text messages, and if I had connection drop problems often, yes, I would definitely use this app. But if my connection was generally stable? Nah, no need.
10/20/2014 1:59 am
CascadianX
I just updated the website to better explain a bit more.
10/20/2014 1:44 am
CascadianX
MagicTheif"and I was working on an idea..." So, I'm pretty sure you aren't finished with it yet?
10/20/2014 1:15 am
Level 42 : Master Fox
-Mage-
SherwoodGamingHey guys, I do a lot of Android development and I was working on an idea that spawned recently and I got my friend to help me out. We are going to be making an app for messaging that is super secure and not an issue with invasion of privacy from the person you are messaging or a third-party attempting to view your connection.

View what the app is about on my site. I made a special section just for it on my server

http://www.sherwoodgaming.com/app

This app will be open both Android and iOS and possibly Windows Phone if I can find developers for that.

Well Snowy, to answer your question, he said, "and I was working on an idea..."
So, I'm pretty sure you aren't finished with it yet? Makes sense to me, to wonder the same question, but, I can see why it isn't finished. These apps take time, and thought. I can't even find my search bar on the computer, what great help I am. >.>
10/20/2014 1:09 am
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
SnowyfoxDecent site but it looks a bit...empty or unrefined. I'm still not exactly sure what this app does.

i agree with this. i dont really get what it's supposed to do
10/20/2014 1:04 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Decent site but it looks a bit...empty or unrefined. I'm still not exactly sure what this app does. From what I deduced, it sends encrypted messages to servers which then immediately send it down to the recipient. However, why do this when you can just text a person directly..? Is it because of the lack of encryption?

If it's not that, it seems that you are trying to create something very efficient and fast. In which case, *shrugs*. Not bad.

I wouldn't use it because I don't (and never had) a phone plan, and I am also against conventional usage of mobile phones. So I'd never really be able to use this because I never send SMSes.
10/20/2014 1:26 am
CascadianX
I am sorry about not being the website filled yet. It just worked on it within 3 hours... starting from "<html></html>". I plan to add encryption into the messages and send them effciently and fast. The goal of the messaging app is to send messages via Internet. In those rare cases you lose connection to the Wifi or 3G Network, you can send via SMS through the app, which will text our phone server, then follow it to the recipient. A prompt will be visible when this event occurs mentioning that encryption, from their device to the server and back from the server to their device is no longer encrypted due to the fundamental ways phone SMS works. Example our server will receive a message

"t: username; f: myusername; mt: 30s; e: yes; seen: yes; Message: ' Hello there!'; " via SMS. Which our app compiles and sets up. When it reaches the server, it uses this data. such as MT (Message Timer). The message is only view able for 30seconds. It will process this data and send it off to the recipient
10/20/2014 1:01 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
polarluke2
I would also use this
10/20/2014 1:04 am
CascadianX
Why would you use it? What makes you want to use it?
10/20/2014 12:53 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
I would use it, because I like trying new stuff.

Don't have anything to hide, but it'd still be cool to know that no one else can see what I'm saying.

I would download this and recommend it to all my friends.

I'd like it if it was a clean, simple messenger. Where it'll be fast, and lightweight. An option for addons, but not cluttered with crap like most messengers are today. (Kik is a big one that comes to mind)

I could see this becoming something big.
10/20/2014 12:59 am
CascadianX
You may have nothing to hide, but perhaps you had some personal stuff you were talking about something with someone, and someone decided to open up your phone and go through your messages. This prevents that, and prevents you being hacked and hackers knowing personal things.

I plan to have it smooth, easy on the eyes, even for the colorblind. The problem solving and efficiency through the roof and only at the cost of a bit of megabytes. No data storage, besides username auto-fill data.
10/20/2014 12:26 am
-Mage-
Sorry, I'm terrible with phones, would a 4G Lite fit inti that app stuff?
I actually think that's a pretty cool idea. Maybe I'll check it out. C:
10/20/2014 12:37 am
CascadianX
I am not so sure what you mean by 4G Lite, besides the networking protocol and all that. I am sure it will cover your device, perhaps if it is up to date on iOS, Android and maybe Windows.
10/20/2014 1:11 am
-Mage-
Sorry, I'm not a huge computer person, more of a grammar freak, and writer.
Thanks for the information though. I'm going to try and test it out...as soon as I find my phone...
10/20/2014 12:25 am
AzroWear
1) How are messages sent over the Cellular Network secure?
2) The messages sent over the internet are P2P?
3) How are you preventing screenshots on images sent/received?
4) What type of encryption are you offering?
4.1) Is the encryption in compliance with US Export Laws?
10/20/2014 12:34 am
CascadianX
1.) Encryption over Cellular Network isn't quite hard to do, the connection is already encrypted but opened in certain checkpoints.
2.) There isn't online one way to send messages.
3.) Preventing screenshots on images sent and received is easy, the photoviewer will not be on the phone nor anything else, taking screenshots will be disabled using code which requires you to hold and view, while holding, no button presses can be accepted. The only weakness is screen recording or AirPlay.
4.) Aiming for 128 or 256.
4.1) This product is easily transferable to another country for development if it needs it. But it will be in compliance the best it can.
10/20/2014 12:19 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
I would defiantly use this.
10/20/2014 12:23 am
CascadianX
If you don't mind me questioning,

why would you use it?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com