Please give me feedback on my art skills.

samkee00's Avatar samkee0010/12/14 11:57 pm
1 emeralds 2.3k 28
10/15/2014 6:55 pm
samkee00's Avatar samkee00
You can't get honest feedback anywhere these days. Everyone's worried about hurting your feelings. I really really want to know if my art is bad or not, and if there is a way I can make it better. Here's the piece in question at the moment.

Suggestions I've gotten so far:
-Pointier/sleeker nose
-Wings slanted back more
-De-wonkify the tail
-More scale variety

I have been told to add more colors, but this is a design for my story, so I didn't do that with this one. I will try with others, though!

Oh, by the way, the wing insides are supposed to be shiny and emerald-like... I need to know how to better pull that off.

samkee00
Level 51 : Grandmaster Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/15/2014 6:52 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
Because most of the things people have said mostly are about the dragon itself, I'm going to try and give you some REAL art tips. u no!1

1. Work on colors, hue shift and instead of making grey/grays 0 sat, give them some saturation.
2. Choppier shading. Not really choppy, but I'd kinda like more contrast in the colors, and not the same amount of contrast all around.

Also here's a thing:http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=1074&catDisplay=1&roPos=1&page=1#.VD76gfldWVA
10/15/2014 6:46 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Narwhal
xenolovegood
MUCH wow.
10/15/2014 6:41 pm
Level 27 : Expert Fish
Blobfish
very good, but the face seems like hes worried or something. other than that, pretty good!
10/15/2014 6:40 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
K47
There should NOT be scales ontop of the wings! Other than that, cool.
10/15/2014 6:55 pm
samkee00
Usually I don't do that, but as a character in my story he has hollow scales on top of his wings to make his flight more silent (by breaking up the air) like an owl. I get where you're coming from, though.
10/15/2014 6:28 pm
samkee00
Any other suggestions/critiques?
10/13/2014 1:28 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
Maybe make edges a bit more rounded and black as the main color.

Other than that Great work!
10/13/2014 1:42 am
samkee00
You're asking me to change the whole color scheme of my dragon? I asked for advice on how to get better, not draw a whole different dragon, silly.
10/13/2014 1:00 am
Level 29 : Expert Modder
ArcaneGamer-
psshhhhhh. i can draw a square (; Can you beat that?
10/13/2014 1:21 am
samkee00
Oh yeah? Well I can draw a triangle.
10/13/2014 12:44 am
samkee00
The_Big_Dish
samkee00[
His face is inspired by this bro here

But I shall work on more attractive noses/mouths
Yeah, someone addressed the wing position, I'll make sure to slant the wings back a bit more next time.
Wasn't sure if I should make it like a snake or a sort of catlike tail shooting off the back. Went with catlike. Personally, I thought it looked long enough, but I'll experiment with tail length (and connection to body) a lot more.
As for color, he was supposed to be metallic iridescent, -snip- it. I can't make either of those happen I'm very amateur when it comes to texturing/shading.

looking at that dragon gave me another idea, you could like do the scales in a more variety of shapes and sizes to make it more interesting looking.

I'll try that. I tried to do that with the emerald scales and some of the ones on the wing arm. The ones down the body are sleek and sort of loose, like chainmail armor in my mind, but I could probably add a few more scale layers like in Clay (the inspiration dragon in the picture, a character from Wings of Fire).
10/13/2014 12:44 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
WhaleOfLife
Pretty good, but I think the nose should be a bit pointier.
10/13/2014 12:45 am
samkee00
Hehe, everyone's saying that. He was inspired by a MudWing, but since everyone wants me to give him a prettier nose, I'll do that for sure next time!
10/13/2014 12:41 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
samkee00[

Yeah, someone addressed the wing position, I'll make sure to slant the wings back a bit more next time.
Wasn't sure if I should make it like a snake or a sort of catlike tail shooting off the back. Went with catlike. Personally, I thought it looked long enough, but I'll experiment with tail length (and connection to body) a lot more.
As for color, he was supposed to be metallic iridescent, -snip- it. I can't make either of those happen I'm very amateur when it comes to texturing/shading.

looking at that dragon gave me another idea, you could like do the scales in a more variety of shapes and sizes to make it more interesting looking.
10/13/2014 12:37 am
samkee00
n8moPlaysMC
samkee00Everyone's worried about hurting your feelings.

I'm not. Let's do this:

The nose is to blunt, and not thin enough.
The wings are at an odd angle, I'd expect them to fold backwards a little more.
The tail connects to the rear in a strange way, and isn't long enough.
Your colour choice could do with being darker and less saturated. (personal opinion)

Otherwise I really like it quite a bit ^.^

10/13/2014 12:30 am
Level 36 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
samkee00Everyone's worried about hurting your feelings.

I'm not. Let's do this:

The nose is to blunt, and not thin enough.
The wings are at an odd angle, I'd expect them to fold backwards a little more.
The tail connects to the rear in a strange way, and isn't long enough.
Your colour choice could do with being darker and less saturated. (personal opinion)

Otherwise I really like it quite a bit ^.^
10/13/2014 12:16 am
The_Big_Dish
-The form and design is pretty good and solid

-the shading could use some more work, you could definitely make the darks darker, and the lights lighter to give it more shape.

-linework is a little strange when I looked at the zoomed up picture, did you like use the spraycan tool or some other similar thing? It is kinda an interesting look but looks strange up close. You should try for more solid lines.

-I actually really like that speckled effect on the wings and how it is used for both texture and shading

-little bit messy, you could have done some better cleaning up, like especially around the right set of feet there is some speckled marks in the background that are distracting. There is a few random white spots on the dragon also that could be cleaned up better.

-maybe more interesting color wise? the piece is mostly 2 colors which is fine but you could have hue shifted or like added speckles maybe a slight different color to make it more interesting looking visually.

I mean overall it is pretty decent, I like what you did with the basic form of having like an armored gem look. If you like dragons you should make some more designs, I would totally love to see more.
10/13/2014 12:21 am
samkee00
Thanks for all the feedback. I drew the outline in pencil and was too lazy to go over all the god-snip- scales in pen, so yeah, the outline is regretfully terrible...
This is a character from my story, and he's only two colors, so I made him two colors. I do like more colorful dragons, though.

Shading is haaaaard glad you like the speckles, though. It's supposed to be sorta... sparkly, I guess?
10/13/2014 12:38 am
The_Big_Dish
Oh okay that makes sense, I didn't realize it was a character with a set design not just a freedraw. Individual scales are a pain but they look so cool if you get them right. XD
10/13/2014 12:42 am
samkee00
Someone on deviantArt told me that putting scales all the way through the whole thing was dumb and that I should do them here and there. That only really works for fur, in my opinion.
Thanks for all your feedback on my work!
10/13/2014 12:12 am
Level 23 : Expert Dragon
komunela
It's pretty good but maybe instead of the wings going straight up, have them come back on a diagonal.
10/13/2014 12:24 am
samkee00
For a second I thought you meant folded or down to his sides, and I was about to be like "but that's not the position he's standing in!"

I get what you mean now, as in, they look a little too directly up. I'll work on fixing that :3
10/13/2014 12:07 am
Level 34 : Artisan Warrior
Fledermau5
I think your art is awesome, you should try new things.
10/13/2014 12:11 am
samkee00
Aw, thanks.
10/13/2014 12:06 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
ErikJack
better than ill ever do lol
10/13/2014 12:11 am
samkee00
Practice, practice, practice.
At least, that's what I've been told...
10/12/2014 11:59 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Artist
MomoiroKohi
Honesty?
its nice. i like the scales tho i dont like the fact that the wings extend to the tail.
10/13/2014 12:02 am
samkee00
Most IRL wings extend to the tail in wingtypes like this such as in bats, but I totally agree that the way I did it just DID NOT work. It's too stiff and just looks really unnatural on this drawing
Sadly, too late to fix it now... I'd never get the shading right, and I can't make lineart on a computer! Next time I'll keep this in mind

Thanks for your honest feedback.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome