What makes a good skin?

echou's Avatar echou8/22/17 11:03 pm
8/24/2017 5:50 am
SNekohime's Avatar SNekohime
I ask the question being a skin maker myself what makes the perfect best skin is it shading? detail what the theme of the skin is? Give your thought I want to see what you guys think of the question there are a lot of answers and its hard to decided, Can't wait to see your answers!
echou
Level 29 : Expert Grump

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/24/2017 5:50 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Skinner
SNekohime
The way it's been shaded, and color choice
08/23/2017 12:21 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
FangABXY
A good skin is easy if you keep thinking about ways to improve your skin. Try to iron out impurities, add or remove shadings, etc. What makes a popular skin though, dumbfounded me.
08/23/2017 7:21 amhistory
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
Wobble Fox
Planet Minecraft's judging criteria in contests consists of 'Concept & Originality' and 'Technique & Execution'. I'd say these are good guidelines in determining a good skin from a bad one, they do encompass every aspect of a skin after all. This does mean that it would be useful to break each category down.

Concept
The concept is almost irrelevant if it is executed well enough. While some may initially think a skin of a golden dragon would be super awesome, they may be surprised to find that a well made 'pet rock' skin is their new favorite thing ever.

Originality
There are 2 sides to this coin, on one side, following the latest trend or making a teen skin can result in being over looked. On the other side, making the best skin within the trend can draw a lot of attention. A skin may also gain a lot of credit simply because it's never been done before. It demonstrates a mental effort to make something new.

Technique
This is where all the different styles appear and the most immediately noticed aspect of a skin . Some people prefer complex, near-realistic skins, others prefer a simplistic cartoon style. This is where objectivity goes out the window and subjectivity is king. So long as all the other categories have been performed well, any technique can shine.

Note - A complex skin usually shows a lot more time and effort, even if the end result is not necessarily better than another.

Execution
The most important element. This is essentially the decider between a good skin and a bad one. Both the best and worst concepts can be given value through the right execution. Together with the technique, it can be observed to change over time, hopefully for the better. I would say that any theory applied in general art applies here, composition, colour theory, contrast etc.
08/23/2017 5:41 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Batman
Malitha
To make a good skin you need to make a skin from bottom of heart take ideas from your hearts not from ur mind :P
08/23/2017 6:46 am
Wobble Fox
I make skins for myself and friends. I started posting on this site as a place for any skins I didn't have a particular reason to make. The result so far has been all of my best skins remaining off-site. Perhaps this is a manifestation of your theory.
08/24/2017 3:05 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Batman
Malitha
lol
08/23/2017 5:39 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
Oasis Network
The best skin is a skin you enjoy, there is no good or bad. I personally love skins from those good ol' PMC skin creators as they usually have realistic shading to their skins.
08/23/2017 6:48 am
Wobble Fox
It's true that some may find value in any skin, though to say that one is never objectively better than another is to say that a 4 year old's drawing of their mother is objectively on par with the Mona Lisa.
08/23/2017 1:54 am
Level 29 : Expert Grump
echou
Thank you for your answers ;D
08/23/2017 1:00 amhistory
Level 1 : New Crafter
TOXICgames4ever
The best skin (not really) is if your skin making software has a "Clothing" or "Add To Your Skin" section, use all the free things you can without putting any effort into it at all. Its super easy and time saving!
08/23/2017 12:34 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
FrozenFL
Decent shading, Making good detail, Correct colors (as in Hue shifting them and making it look nice). And overall making it look the way you want it, along with originality (from scratch if you will). I see lots of skins where people just go in and change a couple things of other skins like color of clothes or adding small things on to it. I personally only use skins that I make because to me it feels like an accomplishment/pride. So I would say to others that ask how to make nice skins. just download a program and practice, Learn to shade, Look up things you have questions about like hue shifting, etc.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome