WIP - Nihiliticia (2d minecraft-like game with physics)

smaadmin's Avatar smaadmin12/6/12 12:39 pm
1 emeralds 2.3k 59
6/6/2013 8:32 pm
smaadmin's Avatar smaadmin
Been working on an engine but have been losing motivation as doing it ENTIRELY alone so thought I'd post regular updates of its early progress to get a bit of a boost, worth a shot anyway!

(early video of basic physics and terrain)

screenshots of character models (showing a physics based vehicle, destroyable ragdolls and fully adjustable facial features). Alot of this has been improved upon (such as the lighting, and the facial animations)

First suggestion is an idea for a name! It is set in the future and is to do with rebirth and building a civilisation on a primeval populated world from the most basic of tools.

Game focuses on COMBAT (featuring limb loss and realistic death) and earning respect/doing quests with various colonies on the planet. Mining and building is optional and not required for the gaming experience.

Planning a full movement engine for the character (running, hanging, rolling, sliding) which also adjusts for any limbs that may have been lost.

Will update regularly!
smaadmin
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/06/2013 8:32 pm
smaadmin
I was primarily thinking that users will name the world.... but maybe a set name for it would seem more cool.

Alpha is hard at work!

I've posted previously but: http://www.indiedb.com/games/nihiliticia is the most common place i update, and likely will place a download if/when alpha is prepared
06/06/2013 4:50 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
deanned2012
Game sounds awesome, I have a few questions!

What is the name of the world in the game and when will the alpha be released?

Link sites you update on so I can follow
05/27/2013 3:34 am
smaadmin
Thanks for the response!

Alpha recruitment is now closed
05/23/2013 1:26 am
smaadmin

http://www.indiedb.com/games/nihiliticia/images/new-character-design-nearly-complete

Characters have been completely overhauled and have more features to customise.

CUSTOMISABLE FEATURES:
HEAD - shape, eye, iris, nose, mouth, chin, ear,hair, fringe, hairjoin, hairflow....
aswell as body features and shapes/sizes, plus clothes/tattoos e.t.c.

Sorry for delays. Life commitments and all that. Currently recruiting alpha testers for near future for hardware speed tests and online play tests on older builds to get it prepared for beta, please let me know if interested.

REQUIREMENT:
will need facebook for keeping contact.
PC (mac not supported at this time) of varied hardware from others.
Internet connection.
just PM with hardware details, connection details and facebook details. First alpha build will be in the coming couple weeks (testing netplay), then later will test combat, then finally AI and questing then will be public beta :p
04/14/2013 3:16 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
fakyar
Keep up the good work!
02/17/2013 7:38 pm
smaadmin
02/11/2013 4:17 pm
smaadmin
Many thanks!

I just slowed a bit on updating it online as it takes a while to record footage and upload it and all that jazz. Hoping to build a small following (then eventually i can update 1 location, then people can update it in various other places and on youtube and stuff)

Will do testing at later stage when i need it tested on different hardware. The language is a mix of directx and html5 as i am planning on doing a "lite" version in the future for handhelds and browsers, and the main version for windows.
02/11/2013 3:44 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
fakyar
Hey dude, gj, when I saw first post was 2 months I was like ooh... It's dead :/ But it''s very awesome that you didn't stop doing it! If you need help testing or something (not sure in which languge is this made) I can help a bit I guess
02/11/2013 3:29 pm
smaadmin
ALOT of new updates

[yt]5V9QJ5UuN8I[/yt]
02/08/2013 6:45 pm
smaadmin
Got malware viruses from this site, and then my facebook was hacked.... is that just me or is that common on PMC? :/

[EDIT] seems ok now
02/04/2013 11:17 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Neptonic
Keep It Coming man!
02/03/2013 7:39 pm
smaadmin
Haven't updated in a while due to low interest, but may aswell show where i am now.

Added clothing equiping support with unlimited potential options with customisable parts, colours e.t.c.

Done code for liquid, made the liquid smoothly flow but still need to make it look more "full"

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/smaadmin/Liquids_zps53797abc.jpg
01/22/2013 12:00 am
Neptonic
impressive
01/14/2013 4:35 pm
smaadmin
Made First Editor substantially more user-friendly (won't be available to casual users)

HOW IT WORKS:

Lets say you want to make a wolf character
You make several images, for example named "AverageWolf0". Average is not necessary but is incase you wanted to create another wolf skeleton e.g. LargeWolf or FatWolf or something. The zero on the end represents this is the default image.
You have folders in the directory for different limbs, and you drop each image into these seperate folders (so there is averagewolf0.png in each of the folders in the directory that are required)
When opening the game, the main menu will have the Developer option. Selecting this, you will input a name. You would then input averagewolf and it will detect all the image files you saved.

Character Creation - creates a ragdoll and sets limits
Character Animation - sets ragdolls rotation to frames
Face Creator - Creates a detailed character face
Face Animation - Create animations for the character face
Equipment Creator - Create visual equipment for the ragdoll

All editing uses scroll-bars and requires no knowledge of physics or math.

01/12/2013 4:26 am
smaadmin
Steam greenlight requires ALOT of supporters.... i have about 2, haha.

Mac version will only be made if this is popular + with some fundings

A lite version will be made at a later stage with a very refined engine (maybe only single player or same screen 2 player) which will be for pc/mac/browser and handheld devices+phones.

Currently doing animation and graphics so should look nice in about 2-4 days
01/11/2013 11:54 pm
Neptonic
smaadminHaha, how comes? Because of ragdolls and the idea of use of vehicles?

ya you could say that. Happy Wheels physics aren't that great though, and sometimes the controls can be confusing.

I can't wait for this; have you thought about putting it on Steam Greenlight?
01/11/2013 3:48 am
smaadmin
Haha, how comes? Because of ragdolls and the idea of use of vehicles?

Can see the similiarity. Its not the inspiration however, use of physics is a common trait in games now days.

I had stop posting on here as noone seemed interested :/ here are updates though. I update on indiedb regular though: http://www.indiedb.com/games/nihiliticia

game will feature ONLINE PLAY, SPLIT SCREEN PLAY, SAME SCREEN COOP.

it currently can run nicely even on a laptop.

[yt]6DreE19KEWQ[/yt]

(the direct link to this image as the right part is cut off: http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/smaadmin/background_zps394d2a5a.jpg )
01/11/2013 12:59 am
Neptonic
I just realized that this sort of reminds me of happy wheels.
12/23/2012 10:05 am
smaadmin
[yt]_wNFUPwtGB0[/yt]

Latest update video
12/23/2012 4:28 am
smaadmin
@pagetd

Didn't quite understand the message. I don't need concept art thank you as the entire project is actually already arranged. As i said before i will be recruiting testers at a later stage (on no pay, but credit) but that is still at least a few weeks off yet

@Latzaffs

My gf is doing management at university so she actually does any finance/business/management related things if i require them. I am quite comfortable on my own on the main project BUT i have sent you a PM
12/22/2012 8:23 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
pagetd
Ok I will definitely do some work well yeah but an I help with the art and concept are and designs and a bit of odeas on the projeCt
12/22/2012 10:25 pm
Latzaffs
What are you saying? Or what is your message?
12/22/2012 6:22 pm
Latzaffs
smaadminCheerz!

@pagetd
The team right now is only me! Ha
I do music, programming, artwork and sound engineering... in a way it takes longer, but you know whats what and keep on top of things.

Testers will be recruited when its in a slightly playable state (maybe xmas time). Currently putting the ragdoll characters into the engine and animating them to stand, walk, run, hang, jump, land, heavy land, roll.
Also making the editor more precise (can adjust position of eyes, nose, mouth, ears as well as colours of everything, hairstyle, body look e.t.c.)
Will only have limited testers though so if you keep contact with me through the youtube channel (that those vids are on) then I'll get back to you when its potentially testable

mainly just artwork to get through as most the base engine is done.

Do you want a manager for this to make your own work more efficient and so forth? I'm looking for any projects wanting to be more efficient and this is perfect for me to practice.
Either way, I would just like to talk to you since I highly advice you to get some Project Manager if this is ever going to get popular since it's what most companies as well as 1 person teams of programmers developers have/do.
Can you tell me if your interested in this? Through skype (Mine is sumaximum, and I'm completely fine with sharing it although it's generally a bad idea to post info) or through this.
12/22/2012 6:18 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
meymazda
You should participate in Minecon Play Edition.
minecon-play-edition-official-thread-t193660.html
You could request a booth and advertise your game.
12/22/2012 5:11 pm
smaadmin
THE SLOPE PLATFORM IN THE PHYSICS VERSION OF THE WORLD SHOWING COLLISION FULLY IMPLEMENTED.

BACKGROUND BLOCKS, SOME LIGHTING IMPROVEMENTS and NORMAL PLACEMENT BLOCKS WITH FULLY IMPLEMENTED RAGDOLL:
12/18/2012 6:42 am
smaadmin
[yt]s-czuIOBKFM[/yt]

Physics and scrolling/terrain deformation fully done.

Needs some touch ups and cleaning but otherwise rigged and ready for everything to go in.

Temporarily disabled shadows for testing

12/17/2012 4:54 am
smaadmin
Been sorting code and optimising some engine features (in preperation for animations)

overall 40% increase in fps speed by adding a refresh system onto the terrain (rather than updating all onscreen blocks when required, it only updates a select amount which can be altered by players to get better performance speed or better visuals).

Also through optimising the engine and getting rid of unnecessary variables and data, max size of world increased from 10000x3000 to 36000x4000 whilst still maintaining performance.

took me around 20 minutes to circle the map in a moderately speedy vehicle.
took around 45 minutes on foot running. phew! (set it to autorun in background, ha)

this seemed fast as it was 2d... but turns out each block is approx. 1/2 metre...

for 10000 blocks, thats 5000 metres (just over 3 miles). Meaning to run that in 45 minutes that my character was going 4 miles per hour (a slow jog) seemed alot faster visually :/ haha
meaning the vehicle was just under 10 mph, haha!

anywho, the new 36000 blocks would be just under 12 miles. Increased character running speed to 6mph which would obviously take 2 hours to traverse the world in an undistracted run....

The max speed movement the engine can support before visual tearing due to updating the screen so rapidly is.....67 mph.... but its unplayable fast (scrolls 2 full screens per second). Maybe if you have a support rocket fuel it just fires you along, hehe. still would take 20 mins to circle the world :/

Sorry for boring update visually, but interesting for the techy ones
12/15/2012 10:02 am
pagetd
Ok can I be a tester now that I looks playable
12/15/2012 7:42 am
smaadmin
Heyho,

Just to keep an update to what i have been up to!

screen 1: Editor for making CUSTOM SKELETONS! This means i can make enemies and differed characters skeletons faster and easier. literally drag n drop to line up limbs, offset the image and set the rotation limitations and then all the physics will be added for you! This is for game design purpose only (maybe modding) and will not be a game feature. Ingame editing will be for facial features and scaling/clothing e.t.c.

screen 2: The old ragdoll made in the new editor. Added a new feature where pressing a button makes the ragdoll more 'limp' so it seems dead, otherwise it lands in more upright positions when its 'alive'

screen 3: Added MASKING. Unlimited images can now be ADDED to the original images to make up new images. This allows for numerous battle wounds which turns into scars and permanently stays, tattoos, makeup, gore, bruising, piercings e.t.c. (I added 3 seperate example pics onto the upper body in the picture. Arm loss wound, rib cage wound and the scratches)

peace x
12/12/2012 1:42 am
smaadmin
is 10000 blocks along enough?

i kept everything in a single array rather than do chunks and that was as much it can handle. Didn't think it worth to do a chunks system, plus it would mean transferring physics objects between chunks and many other features wont work well.

took me around 20 minutes to circle the map in a moderately speedy vehicle.

took around 45 minutes on foot running. phew! (set it to autorun in background, ha)

there is no need to go much bigger is there?
12/12/2012 1:00 am
smaadmin
Level 2? I feel like an excessively weak RPG character haha
12/12/2012 1:06 am
Neptonic
Don't worry you'll be learning Fire 3 in no time young grasshopper. XD
12/12/2012 1:18 am
smaadmin
Fire 3 is over-rated...

p.s. what do threads usually get diamond for then?
12/12/2012 12:42 am
Neptonic
you should figure a way for us to diamond this, because you would, be level 2 in no time.
12/12/2012 12:39 am
smaadmin
woo, thanks!

Heres a little extra bonus vid to show what i am up to in celebration of some moderate response

[yt]JuEws_dUm6U[/yt]

wow.... brutal :/

i know its choppy but its what i'm coding at this second! thus the .5 update

current goal:

Get the physics engine smoothly flying through the editable world (driving will be awesome with the custom builder and sloped platforms!)
Animations for the characters
indepth facial animations
12/12/2012 12:25 am
Neptonic
I subscribe to you just because I'm a hipster and I like what I'm seeing! FIRST SUB! YAAAAY!
12/12/2012 12:37 am
pagetd
i am the second one aw yeahs
12/12/2012 12:17 am
ToloFrank
Im intersted
12/12/2012 12:16 am
Neptonic
For the music I picture some World of Goo techno stuff (that music was epic)
12/12/2012 12:15 am
Level 25 : Expert Robot
TitanSeas
I dont get the point of the game
12/12/2012 12:19 am
Neptonic
There's nothing to get right now, its just a physics sandbox engine like Gmod 13 at the moment.
12/12/2012 12:11 am
smaadmin
Look forward to it! Would be 0% for testers sadly, creditation - free stuff - return favor kind of arrangement.

Not even sure if this project will end up commercial anyway :/ It's an engine at the moment. It also supports polygon collision so it can be used to make hand drawn (non destructive) levels if i wanted to use it for another game or distribute the actual engine at a far later stage :p
12/12/2012 12:20 am
pagetd
One wore uestion what is directx I only code pythons so yeah I've never Heard of it
12/12/2012 12:03 am
smaadmin
@pagetd

We'll see Had some bad times in past with team members (one person tested something for me and thought he deserved 50% of all future profits! haha)

buuuut, lets hear your electro song. I do rock, classical and trance mainly.

link?
12/12/2012 12:05 am
pagetd
Can't oat it on YouTube till towwmorrow but when I do Iwill send it ad really 50% wow I wouldn't ask for the profit at all I didn't make the engine if I did ask I would ask for like 2-5 %
12/11/2012 11:58 pm
Level 29 : Expert Scribe
_DioM_
Hm. Interesting. I may follow this.
12/11/2012 11:57 pm
smaadmin
Ah, don't worry, if it actually gets popular I'll recode a mac version most of it is based off of array systems and mathematics rather than commands so a translation into another language wouldn't be the worse task ever. Also makes it easily alterable!

Plus my GF is an apple fanatic so its probably quite inevitable anyway :/
12/12/2012 12:13 am
Neptonic
BOOYAH, Mac support! Only way this could get better is if it was on Steam (just kidding) No, I could see this engine making some good platformers with realistic physics.
12/11/2012 11:52 pm
Neptonic
Why must Mac users suffer through good indie games being made!?!?!?
12/11/2012 11:50 pm
smaadmin
Cheerz!

@pagetd
The team right now is only me! Ha
I do music, programming, artwork and sound engineering... in a way it takes longer, but you know whats what and keep on top of things.
Testers will be recruited when its in a slightly playable state (maybe xmas time). Currently putting the ragdoll characters into the engine and animating them to stand, walk, run, hang, jump, land, heavy land, roll.
Also making the editor more precise (can adjust position of eyes, nose, mouth, ears as well as colours of everything, hairstyle, body look e.t.c.)
Will only have limited testers though so if you keep contact with me through the youtube channel (that those vids are on) then I'll get back to you when its potentially testable

mainly just artwork to get through as most the base engine is done.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome