forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record Gaming

Am I too old for Minecraft?

39 emeralds205 replies4,419 views
created 08/09/2017 2:34 pm by Snowy_Parker
last reply 11/17/2018 4:32 pm
Hello everyone.

I am 16 years old and I recently got back into playing minecraft. I hadn't played it for a good year and a half because I simply got bored of it but I am now back and I feel ready to play a bunch again. You see, I first started playing minecraft back in the fall of 2010 when I was only in 4th grade. I've seen this game grow and evolve over the years and I can't tell you how much fun i've had. But only recently, when I started playing again. I felt... Left out, or not in my place. I feel that because i'm 16 and all my other friends have moved on the other games. I feel like I shouldn't be playing. Right now is a time in my life when I have started to think about my early adult plans in a couple of years and I can't help but wonder if I should be playing at this age. Now I know what you guys may be thinking, "Oh! You can play at age 50 for all I care, It doesn't matter! Aslong as your enjoying yourself!". And to an extent this is true, but I can't find people my age to play with anymore. Everytime I play a game and someone asks if they wanna discord. They always turn out to be way below my age and I feel like i'm an oddball in everyplace I go. I never thought back in the day, everyone was my age too. I figured there were a diverse range of ages playing the game. Basically what I'm trying to say is. Am I welcome?? In this community that I have come to love for 43.75% of my entire life!? (Yes I did the math). I really don't want to feel this way. Is there anyone out there my age or older that feels the same way? I have a pretty good YouTube channel going that I have had for 2 years now and I've uploaded 100+ videos and my subscribers enjoy what I do post but I don't DARE upload a minecraft video because to them it's "Childish". So again, if there is anyone else out there that feels the same way I would love to know. THANKS!
Posted by avatar
Snowy_Parker
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

205 replies

11/17/2018 4:32 pm
Level 1 New Miner
METALMUSIC
I started playing Minecraft in 2012, I was 8 at the time. Now I am in high school but I have the urge to play it again. Minecraft let me be creative. Last year I came back to it, got bullied then quit. I don’t know if I am too old or if my classmates are rude.
09/16/2018 8:00 pm
Level 9 Apprentice Dolphin
infectism
not at all.
09/16/2018 7:23 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Network
LoxleyShadow
Minecraft is good though currently because new servers keep it fun.
09/16/2018 7:22 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Network
LoxleyShadow
Same
09/16/2018 5:58 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Cake
U8322
i replied to make it 200 replies lol
09/16/2018 6:00 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Cake
U8322
and i am 12 years old im playing minecraft since i was 9
09/15/2018 4:33 am
Level 6 Apprentice Ranger
BuyMeAHouse
nope
09/15/2018 4:08 am
Level 48 Master Pixel Painter
Nate33730
This happens a lot in high school, wait a couple years when your in college, and i guarantee you'll meet others who play the game still. Same thing with Pokemon, or any game that a college age person would feel nostalgic about. Beside that, Minecraft is a creative outlet that's easy to mod and customize and build in and theirs no shame in it, think of yourself as a hacker, doing things in the game that it wasn't made to do. If anything you might seem fun and easy going for bringing it up and not acting shy about it.
07/19/2018 5:56 am
Level 51 Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I'm 22, and still here. Minecraft is ageless. It's communities that are age-based. A very large portion of Minecraft's playerbase is younger than 16, so a lot of servers will feel like you're surrounded by younger kids. But there's many others.
As mentioned by others, the creative community as a whole tends to have a much wider spread of ages. I've met people that are pretty good at building or other forms of creation in MC, but are only 12 or 13, while others are older than me still.

As for people saying it's too childish, that's on them. Nobody who plays stuff like Farmville or CandyCrush or FIFA's football simulator gets to even BREATHE about minecraft being too childish.

I'd also like to see them build a cool castle or complete a CTM map.
07/19/2018 5:20 am
Level 1 New Miner
edwardcgreen
You're never too old to do anything! Well excluding a few things lol!
07/17/2018 11:48 am
Level 10 Journeyman Network
Fade IN
Age is just a number as long as you find it fun you should be playing it
07/17/2018 11:57 am
Level 6 Apprentice Fisherman
InVain
I'm 16, i've felt this way for around a year now. Its hard since minecraft has lost some of its heart and soul to continue to play with the same love; but I still play often and I have a fairly good group of friends my age or much older that play too. I understand your concerns highly and I constantly go back and forth, but at the end of the day do what you enjoy, you may not have the same nostalgia or the same feeling when you play, but theres for sure people our age and much older that play.
If you wanna talk more in depth or play add me on discord or pm me on planet minecraft, discord is Vain#2468
07/17/2018 11:45 am
Level 7 Apprentice Fisherman
AhOkayThen
I'm only 15 and to be honest I find Minecraft great. Creative mod, that is. Survival doesn't really appeal to me.
07/11/2018 4:54 pm
Level 1 New Crafter
DeskMC
Play what you think is fun; Minecraft is designed for all ages.
07/11/2018 4:51 pm
Level 1 New Miner
akawhybie
troll
07/11/2018 10:29 am
Level 1 New Miner
Reslum
Yes, the majority of minecraft players are little kids. But minecraft is all about creativity, If you get bored of minecraft, try to play with irl friends, or in game friends. Try to find a skill you have in minecraft, developing plugins, building, or pvping. To me, i like building, i apply for builder on many servers, it kills my time, and makes me feel useful.
06/29/2018 7:54 am
Level 17 Journeyman Warrior
_WATCHD0G_
26 yrs old too, your' in bro..
06/29/2018 7:37 am
Level 17 Journeyman Cake
carbonawk
If you like it it's all that matters. Don't let others define you.
06/29/2018 6:29 am
Level 1 New Explorer
Trigonia
I'm 19 years old at the moment and yeah, I do get what you mean.

The majority of Minecraft players are skewed towards the younger side and there's honestly not much you can do about it. At 16 however, you're still pretty young. There are tons of 16-21 year olds playing too, you may just have to look a little harder to find them.

Also, you don't have to worry about being childish when it comes to uploading Minecraft videos.

Plenty of Minecraft YouTubers are in their twenties or even thirties and are happily playing and uploading videos of the game.

Don't let one or two people calling the game "childish" stop you from having your fun.
06/28/2018 10:33 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Crafter
forkLite
I know what that's like, too! I'm 16 as well, and in a very similar situation honestly. I had a bunch of old friends through Minecraft that used to play, now none of them play anymore (or they ignore me because they're being drama queens for no reason, lmao) and I haven't really been able to play with people on there since I stopped for about 6 or so months at one point when I'd gotten bored with it.
I can also say that there are many others around the age of 16, slightly younger and older, who still play, too, though! I kinda know a group of people on the server I'm usually on, and they're all between 14-22/21, can't quite remember the oldest one's age. And about a year ago there was a similar group of 16 and 17 year olds I saw a lot, but they've disappeared for all I know.
The most interaction I have with people in Minecraft only happens when I'm playing the game with my younger brother now tbh, and he doesn't play much since he got bored of Minecraft at least a year before I originally did.

There's definitely many people in this age range who still play and/or feel like this, you'd just never know because most of the ones I know, myself included, pretty much never talk in the chat so you don't know a thing about them since they're not looking to discord or whatever with someone for the same reason that it's all kids much younger than them most of the time. I guess I wouldn't really know since I've never touched discord in my life, but Minecraft is still mostly younger kids no matter what anyone says, lol.

One thing I've noticed as far as age groups go with Minecraft, is different things have different age groups that generally are around it. Like, I can say without a doubt that Lobby 1 on Mineplex is not only the weird place where OG names decide to sit afk for hours on end for some reason, but a lot of people around the age of 16 are there, too. And, still Mineplex since that's the only thing I play anymore, back before the screwed over the Arcade games and Death Tag was still a stand alone game, there were tons of people around the age of 16 there, some quite a bit older who played the game literally every day. I'd know because I was one of those people, and it was great while it lasted ;w; After it pretty much went down, the community there died, but I can still find like fragments of the main group of people who played it throughout the lobbies waiting for a singular damn game of the thing to show up since it's like never there

And about people who think the game is childish; even if the game is mostly full of younger kids, it doesn't mean it was still meant for all ages anyhow. Like the Minecraft YouTubers back in the day when YouTube was great, they made their living off of it, as well as genuinely enjoying the game. Until most got bored and either stopped or legit disappeared off the face of the internet?? Even if the golden age of MC is pretty much gone now with it's biggest names no longer around or playing the game, it's still a hella huge community full of exactly what it's meant for; a large range of ages who just want to play a silly game because it's fun.

Oh boy, I ramble a lot, aah, sorry if you actually read all that nonsense QwQ
06/28/2018 9:43 am
Level 14 Journeyman Engineer
_Phrozenbit_
I get where you're coming from. I usually just play single player or on my own server with my little brothers and sisters. You're not to old to play Minecraft though, that's for sure, but it'll probably be a good idea to find a server somewhere that has a more mature player base. It also kind of depends on what you're doing while playing Minecraft. Participating in silly PvP battles on such servers probably isn't going to be your thing, but participating on a server that's designed to facilitate players who are really good at building stuff in creative mode probaly will be. For me counts that I like to design and build complicated Redstone computer devices, that's a thing for people that are a bit older. Same as really good builders. And my opinion is that you shouldn't care what other people think of your youtube video's, if your builds are awesome then you've got nothing to fear. Just go for it ^^
06/27/2018 4:41 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Engineer
TriusMalarky
The age thing is really were you spend time. For instance, factions is plagued with fat 12-year-olds who donate for the sole reason of being able to beat someone. Pixelmon servers are full of young or young at heart players who either haven't moved out of their parent's homes or are obsessed(in which case they're fine unless you don't like Pokemon at all)(Pokemon is something either young people like or people who never managed to grow out of it, so that would be the type of people found there).

If you are 16, I'd guess you're in the first-person-shooter type group, in which case there are plenty of servers for you. Look up GTM if you like GTA(a ripoff in my opinion, but I don't play GTA anyway), there's DayZ servers, and you could theoretically find Call of Duty or Halo servers(I wouldn't know, I haven't looked).

If that's not your cup o' tea, look up roleplay servers(but ignore the factions ones. They're not really roleplay). You may or may not be able to find a great one. For instance, I found a nice Harry Potter server that was very well done, or I have found the occasional Warriors server(unfortunately they were almost dead).

If you like horror, there's horror; if you like aliens there's aliens. It really depends on what you like playing. If you still like factions and minigames and such, yes, I'd say you are too old and should have grown out of that crap by now, but you should take that with a grain of salt as I plan on being the grandpa with a creepy old house when I get that old.

Creepy houses are fun.
06/24/2018 2:28 pm
Level 35 Artisan Bunny
Inspiring
Minecraft is a game that you enjoy, and if you don't want your friends to know don't tell them, but why would your friends care what game(s) you like, compare to them, if they like you for you whats the worry??
06/24/2018 1:47 pm
Level 1 New Explorer
dunuo123
I play and I'm 23
06/24/2018 1:38 pm
Level 1 New Explorer
dunuo123
No, you are not too old. Minecraft is for every age!
06/16/2018 5:49 pm
Level 1 New Miner
ImagineerSplashMC
I need someone to play with, I'm 15. Carson#1500 is my discord. Or my server is discord.gg/YKWjs3
06/16/2018 5:08 pm
Level 1 New Architect
Delete_This_Account_
yes.
06/27/2018 1:16 pm
Level 28 Expert Lego Builder
Darth Spookoden
Little kid...
06/14/2018 1:17 pm
Level 1 New Miner
Joetorp
Am I too old? I am 72, admin of rencorner minecraft, been playing since 2011.
Joe
06/14/2018 1:12 pm
Level 35 Artisan Narwhal
KawaiiCornz
Don’t be afraid and feel like you don’t fit in if other people are not your age. I bet you there are MANY other people just like you that are around your age, and probably even older than you! Just notice how many people are still playing Minecraft after all the years that have passed. It doesn’t matter what age you are, just have fun and be yourself. I am usually the youngest from all my other friends online, and it’s ok to play at any age.
06/14/2018 1:09 pm
Level 39 Artisan Mage
Pixel
I still like the "childish" videos and I'm 19, lol
06/14/2018 1:05 pm
Level 1 New Crafter
Phantomfire213
I know how you feel there. I'm 21 myself and, from playing on servers for several years now, find that many of the people I call friends or even many of the other players there are younger than I. However, there are still those in my age group or older even. I feel like I fit it most of the time thanks to them, but when they aren't around, it is a little... weird hanging around children all day.
06/14/2018 2:30 am
Level 20 Expert Pirate
waffletastic
No, I bought Minecraft for my kids. 5 years later I'm still playing on a minecraft paintball server.
06/06/2018 12:12 am
Level 1 New Explorer
BabyBlueberry
I bought Minecraft when I was 11 and got freaked out by a zombie and abandoned it for a year. I started playing again when I was 12 and I made a plethora of friends, and when I was around.. 14? 15 maybe, I quit. I just got back into it again, too, and I can confirm that I rarely find a 14 year old, much less somebody my age (16). People are also radically unsocial, it seems, than back then. I spend more days playing multiplayer aimlessly than I do with another person on a friendly basis, but, I still play, so you can, too. You'll find more people your age, I'm sure of it, it just takes a buttload of time! C:
06/05/2018 2:03 pm
Level 49 Master Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Awww, that's cute! I'll be 40 in October.
06/04/2018 8:43 pm
Level 21 Expert Cake
Girouette
Started playing when I was 13. I dropped it a year and a half later, and picked it back up after that. I dropped it again when the combat update took place. I'm just not passionate about it anymore. Its not what it once use to be.
06/03/2018 12:27 am
Level 7 Apprentice Dragon
DepressedArya
Alot of the older age groups tend to stick with roleplay servers, from experience, I know plenty of 20+ year olds that inhabit LOTR, Star Wars, Fallout, Game of Thrones rp servers. And alot of the younger age group stick to faction pvp and stuff along that path.
06/02/2018 11:19 pm
Level 13 Journeyman Artist
l3ug23
and i started 1 years ago lel
06/02/2018 11:14 pm
Level 13 Journeyman Artist
l3ug23
i'm 27 yo lol
05/23/2018 11:07 am
Level 1 New Miner
Mr_Vaudeville
I agree with most of the other comments. There's no such thing as 'too old'. I turn 29 in less than a week, and I adore the game. All of the biggest, most detailed builds I've seen - and the best tutorials - are all by older, adult players.

At the end of the day, only you can decide if it's something you want to keep doing. Don't let others dictate how you should or shouldn't feel about a thing. As long as it brings you joy or fun, there's no problem.
06/24/2018 1:51 pm
Level 1 New Explorer
dunuo123
I know this is too late but happy Early month late birthday.Ehh...
05/23/2018 7:43 am
Level 24 Expert Dragonborn
TheLegendSaiyan
You can never be too old for Minecraft. I have friends 24+ who play it. If you want to do Minecraft videos without upsetting your subscribers you can always create a second channel for Minecraft content. I don't post Minecraft stuff on my channel but I don't really want too.
If you want to find people your age then you'll need to start going on more mature servers. It doesn't really matter how old someone is, to be honest as long as they are a good friend. I am friends with people younger and older than me and I'm 18.
And if you want to do Minecraft content on your channel in a way that doesn't seem childish then why not do a modpack series on something more grown up like my friend Ulandos. He does Minecraft AVP and recently got 100,000 subs. Never give up and don't be afraid to walk into the unknown.
05/23/2018 9:33 am
Level 6 Apprentice Prince
Prince_Nika
dude i feel the same way. but i dont think you can be too old for minecraft. I'm almost 15 ( i turn 15 on the 27th) so im in the general age range as you and sometimes, yeah i feel that way too.
05/23/2018 8:08 am
Level 18 Journeyman Dragonborn
Fenneko
No one can tell you you're "too old" for something. There is no such thing. Minecraft is for all ages. Whether it be to just build, create mod packs, play on servers like Hypixel or whatever. I know people from 14-30 who play Minecraft. It's funny because it is the older people who are more alienated in those types of situations but eventually you will find people your age and don't let things like this discourage you. I have to agree 100% with TheLegendSaiyan. I couldn't have worded it better.
05/23/2018 6:21 am
Level 16 Journeyman Engineer
ML4Bzero
80 years old mans can play minecraft
05/21/2018 7:59 am
Level 21 Expert Pokemon
MysticMarineon
Eh tell ur subscribers that u really don't care.
What matters is if you like Minecraft of not, not what they think is Babyish.
05/20/2018 10:39 pm
Level 1 New Miner
ShinyGold998
You are only too old if YOU think you are too old. 'Nuff said.
05/19/2018 2:07 pm
Level 4 Apprentice Network
TheFearOfUnknown
There IS no maximum age for minecraft. If there are adult minecraft youtubers, I'm pretty sure YOU can play too.
05/19/2018 3:22 am
Level 1 New Crafter
HeSo
:) I'm 16 years old too.
the only thing that makes me play minecraft is the creativity and building, its increase your imagination and creativity, so its useful for me no one can say to me you are old for this game, and i don't know i see these killing zombies and crafting and searching is fun but there is no benefit i think you are old of these, but you can play the game whenever you want, but you are In important age you have to develop your skills and think about your future, and do whatever is fun for you but it would be better if it has a benefit.

Sorry for my bad English.
Hassan.
05/19/2018 3:00 am
Level 74 Legendary Senpai
Soulas
Well does that mean i'm to old as well? Almost 22 years old! You are never to old to play Minecraft or any other game.

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome