Am I too old for Minecraft?

35 emeralds 165 replies 3,085 views | started 08/09/2017 2:34 pm by Snowy_Parker
Hello everyone.

I am 16 years old and I recently got back into playing minecraft. I hadn't played it for a good year and a half because I simply got bored of it but I am now back and I feel ready to play a bunch again. You see, I first started playing minecraft back in the fall of 2010 when I was only in 4th grade. I've seen this game grow and evolve over the years and I can't tell you how much fun i've had. But only recently, when I started playing again. I felt... Left out, or not in my place. I feel that because i'm 16 and all my other friends have moved on the other games. I feel like I shouldn't be playing. Right now is a time in my life when I have started to think about my early adult plans in a couple of years and I can't help but wonder if I should be playing at this age. Now I know what you guys may be thinking, "Oh! You can play at age 50 for all I care, It doesn't matter! Aslong as your enjoying yourself!". And to an extent this is true, but I can't find people my age to play with anymore. Everytime I play a game and someone asks if they wanna discord. They always turn out to be way below my age and I feel like i'm an oddball in everyplace I go. I never thought back in the day, everyone was my age too. I figured there were a diverse range of ages playing the game. Basically what I'm trying to say is. Am I welcome?? In this community that I have come to love for 43.75% of my entire life!? (Yes I did the math). I really don't want to feel this way. Is there anyone out there my age or older that feels the same way? I have a pretty good YouTube channel going that I have had for 2 years now and I've uploaded 100+ videos and my subscribers enjoy what I do post but I don't DARE upload a minecraft video because to them it's "Childish". So again, if there is anyone else out there that feels the same way I would love to know. THANKS!
Posted by avatar
Snowy_Parker
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

165 replies

05/23/2018 11:07 am
Level 1 New Miner
Mr_Vaudeville
I agree with most of the other comments. There's no such thing as 'too old'. I turn 29 in less than a week, and I adore the game. All of the biggest, most detailed builds I've seen - and the best tutorials - are all by older, adult players.

At the end of the day, only you can decide if it's something you want to keep doing. Don't let others dictate how you should or shouldn't feel about a thing. As long as it brings you joy or fun, there's no problem.
05/23/2018 7:43 am
Level 20 Expert Dragonborn
TheLegendSaiyan
You can never be too old for Minecraft. I have friends 24+ who play it. If you want to do Minecraft videos without upsetting your subscribers you can always create a second channel for Minecraft content. I don't post Minecraft stuff on my channel but I don't really want too.
If you want to find people your age then you'll need to start going on more mature servers. It doesn't really matter how old someone is, to be honest as long as they are a good friend. I am friends with people younger and older than me and I'm 18.
And if you want to do Minecraft content on your channel in a way that doesn't seem childish then why not do a modpack series on something more grown up like my friend Ulandos. He does Minecraft AVP and recently got 100,000 subs. Never give up and don't be afraid to walk into the unknown.
05/23/2018 10:50 am
Level 1 New Miner
ninjamaddness
hello all, below is a link to a minecraft sampled rap beat, lyrics will be added however all likes and follows would be very helpful

soundcloud.com/user-63988317/all-my-dieminds
05/23/2018 9:33 am
Level 3 Apprentice Artist
Prince_Elliot
dude i feel the same way. but i dont think you can be too old for minecraft. I'm almost 15 ( i turn 15 on the 27th) so im in the general age range as you and sometimes, yeah i feel that way too.
05/23/2018 8:08 am
Level 9 Apprentice Toast
Fenneko
No one can tell you you're "too old" for something. There is no such thing. Minecraft is for all ages. Whether it be to just build, create mod packs, play on servers like Hypixel or whatever. I know people from 14-30 who play Minecraft. It's funny because it is the older people who are more alienated in those types of situations but eventually you will find people your age and don't let things like this discourage you. I have to agree 100% with TheLegendSaiyan. I couldn't have worded it better.
05/23/2018 6:21 am
Level 12 Journeyman Engineer
ML4Bzero
80 years old mans can play minecraft
05/21/2018 7:59 am
Level 13 Journeyman Pokemon
MysticMarineon
Eh tell ur subscribers that u really don't care.
What matters is if you like Minecraft of not, not what they think is Babyish.
05/20/2018 10:39 pm
Level 1 New Miner
ShinyGold998
You are only too old if YOU think you are too old. 'Nuff said.
05/19/2018 2:07 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Network
TheFearOfUnknown
There IS no maximum age for minecraft. If there are adult minecraft youtubers, I'm pretty sure YOU can play too.
05/19/2018 3:22 am
Level 1 New Crafter
HeSo
:) I'm 16 years old too.
the only thing that makes me play minecraft is the creativity and building, its increase your imagination and creativity, so its useful for me no one can say to me you are old for this game, and i don't know i see these killing zombies and crafting and searching is fun but there is no benefit i think you are old of these, but you can play the game whenever you want, but you are In important age you have to develop your skills and think about your future, and do whatever is fun for you but it would be better if it has a benefit.

Sorry for my bad English.
Hassan.
05/19/2018 3:00 am
Level 73 Legendary Senpai
Soulas
Well does that mean i'm to old as well? Almost 22 years old! You are never to old to play Minecraft or any other game.
05/19/2018 2:48 am
Level 2 Apprentice Architect
Kwaysar
Yes you are too old to play Minecraft. But seriously, why would someone be too "old" to play Minecraft, as it was intended for all ages. Also, I'll just recite the stereotype that MC is for "10 Year Olds" for the sake of clarifying it. Heck, I'm still going strong after 6 years. So yeah, it wouldn't even make sense for someone to say you're too old to play a game. I know it's a late response, but I just want to say my opinion.
05/06/2018 7:00 pm
Level 9 Apprentice Toast
CurSeDWoLf
I'm 14 (I know a little bit younger) And I still REALLY enjoy the game, I mean I've bumped into people who seem older but are actually younger...I know how you feel but just look at Unspeakable Gaming, PrestonPlayz, Markiplier etc. they are all like 20 and older. So u aren't the only one who feels this. In fact the older minecrafters are the reason why I still play at my age... I have to be honest Update Aquatic is my only motivation right now, I just can't wait for 1.13!!!
05/06/2018 5:58 pm
Level 30 Artisan Professor
Decca
Age doesn't matter, you can play habbo hotel, club penguin, minecraft, it simply does not matter how old you are... I grew up playing Runescape (and still do) I honestly believe that people of all ages play all games and those who tell you otherwise have their eyes closed. Lots of people I know IRL would roll their eyes at me for playing games like RS and MC but do you know what I bet that some of them play these games too... so don't ever feel like you are too old for any type of video game. You just do you and enjoy the time that you have my man.
05/06/2018 5:10 pm
Level 20 Expert Nerd
Darth Theoden
My friends grandma plays Minecraft so of course not
05/04/2018 6:19 pm
Level 17 Journeyman Spelunker
lqvenderlgbtq
Come on, man. I don't even have to read all of this text. Of course, you're not too old for Minecraft! Nobody's EVER too old to play video games, do whatever ya want! So what if people judge you, at least you're having fun and enjoying yourself!
05/04/2018 4:09 pm
Level 1 New Miner
JoeThinks
I know this is an old post (9 months) and for some reason its received recent activity, but I want to chime in here.

Now, I've been a gamer from 10 years old on, and i'm pushing 40 now. It's been both fascinating and humbling watching the Video Game industry grow up with all of us. The most fascinating part of this observation has been the advent, maturing, and then standardization of the Online Gaming market; and I've been there through it all. I've Ultma Online and Everquest; EQ from the begining (and got out after House of Thule) and been one of those stuck up guys in a high-end raiding guild that will not give you the time of day. I've played Runescape for just as long, knowing the joy of putting on a max cape after years of gains, leaving for months to a year, and then having so much work to do simply to equip it again.

I bring the above points up, because I’ve been where the OP was when they posted this; many times. I game with friends too, fall under their influence, and in-kind influence them. The pressure of great life-long gamer friends or online followers, is that when they move on to other game, we often feel we must as well to keep them happy or at least content.

The root underline issues addressed but unspoken here in this post, is that in reality age has very little, to almost nothing, to do with how one reacts and behavior related to group gaming or gaming exposition (YouTube and such); it all has to do with maturity. The maturity you possess and the maturity that others convey to you with their opinions. (The true irony of that statement comes when you are playing Minecraft next to someone playing a game like say Skyrim and then they knock Minecraft; even though they too love the game and have hundreds of hours into their own world(s) and online play time on servers.)

This is one of those life lessons I really wish someone could have told me at a younger age, even if I wouldn’t have listened to it back then. If your maturity level is very deviated from those around you or those you value as in followers, you are going to naturally have these types of dilemmas. Remain true to yourself and if it truly bothers you, talk with your friends or poll you followers; get feedback and give feedback. Communication is a paramount portion of maturity.

Wow, that was a lot longer then what it was in my head; but, I hope this helps someone one day.
05/04/2018 3:48 pm
Level 27 Expert Robot
kmcallah
Nah bro. I'm 21 and I still play Minecraft. I started back in 2010 too as I was just starting high school. Its an interesting game because it can appeal to so many different age groups and generations. My dad played Minecraft with me when we were both into it and he is over 40 years old.

Its really just a coincidence that you may be having trouble finding people your age to play with, plus it is usually the younger audience who are willing to talk more about it. Back during Minecon 2013 I met up with a few people I met on the Minecraft server I was frequenting and I was the youngest.

I don't play Minecraft as much as I used to but I still find it very relaxing and often find myself daydreaming about building a cool house or something. Minecraft gets a bad rap because of the vociferous younger and more energetic people but that is true with every piece of media.

You may just feel different about the game because you left it for so long and were expecting it to be as magical as it was when you first started to play it. I can't really play on servers anymore because I don't find it as interesting as when I was a young teen.
05/04/2018 3:35 pm
Level 5 Apprentice Hunter
Tofuu_Gaming
I'm 18 and I play Minecraft
05/02/2018 9:29 pm
Level 21 Expert Nerd
SJcat810
i totally get why you feel like this! i'm 17 and i have moments like that all the time. but there are definitely people around ur age who still play MC. it is definitely weird sometimes to be on a server and realize ur one of the older people playing, but there are definitely some servers with more ppl ur age!
maybe it could just be a matter of how much free time people have? i still love minecraft but don't get to play as often anymore 'cause i have other stuff going on.
04/29/2018 9:14 pm
Level 34 Artisan Network
JeremyMilam1
Most of the people in my group with me are 20somethings like myself, (with some older and some younger.) You're not too old at only 16. There really is not a "too old."
04/29/2018 8:00 pm
Level 1 New Miner
unclekeith
I'm 47 and still going strong. I play with the boys and lads down at pub. I don't see anything wrong with that I am on your side young one.
04/29/2018 5:12 pm
Level 27 Expert Architect
Adervae
No, you're not too old. Minecraft is a timeless game. The game is completely what you make of it. I play it a lot for building stuff to supplement my interest in architecture.

Don't be discouraged by the influx of younger players. It was the older players that made the game popular in the first place. It's only going to continue to be considered a children's game if people keep giving into these silly stigmas.
04/29/2018 4:46 pm
Level 29 Expert Warrior
IndyJacksonTT
I play the game daily and still love it after 6 years, but I don't have minecraft videos in my recommended anymore.
04/29/2018 12:29 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Miner
Hidiety
I'm going to be turning 29 in a month and play MC daily.
04/29/2018 8:10 am
Level 1 New Explorer
RawrMaoster
LOL i know this is 9 months old but there is no such thing as too old in the world of gaming! Ill be playing minecraft and various other games well into my 80s and im 27 now xD F*** real life its got nothing on gaming and anime XD
04/23/2018 11:11 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Miner
HunkyHenry
NO your not too old, now you just need to start creating plugins, mods, and huge build projects.
So far the average age of players on my new server is like 25. lol
04/24/2018 12:11 am
Level 15 Journeyman Explorer
4nrMike
Okay you can't be too old. If you make really epic projects, then your friends won't care (or they might—IDK your friends but hopefully they wouldn't) if you say "I just picked this up to do this". Or, you don't tell them because you have plenty followers here (I notice your 40 subscribers).
That, or you can play servers meant for older people. Vindex Craft is a great city role-play server and I'm running my own bookstore now! It's all very mature, but not like bad or anything. My point is you can find a server of people your age who understand your problem and play the game with them! Hope this helped :D
04/23/2018 11:20 pm
Level 6 Apprentice Modder
PlayaXD
simple answer: no
Long term answer: mabye
01/30/2018 12:26 am
Level 30 Artisan Network
Nightshade73
My name Jeff
01/29/2018 7:10 pm
Level 2 Apprentice Warrior
Chaone
I am around your age and I have played Minecraft and Roblox off and on. There are plenty of older people who play Minecraft. And if you do Youtube Minecraft, don't be cringy. Those Youtubers helped give Minecraft a bad name (like what DanTDM currently does. He use to be good.). Post videos of builds you made or singleplayer survival lets-plays. Don't be afraid to express yourself, you just might be surprised at how many people in your school actually play Minecraft.
Be a guiding light to younger players and show them how to be good people.
01/29/2018 7:00 am
Level 1 New Crafter
LagMaster1000
I'm 15 and still enjoy playing mc whenever I have free time. If u wanna hang shoot me a dm.
01/29/2018 5:44 am
Level 1 New Explorer
Jonathanstrike
Tbh nobody can be too old. You can never be too old to play games
01/29/2018 1:37 am
Level 14 Journeyman Mage
Govindas
I'm 17 and I have been playing Minecraft since 2010 also, but I do not feel the way how you feel, I'm completely ok with having much younger friends than me. Do what you want, if you care about others opinion you won't be living your own life.
01/28/2018 10:37 pm
Level 24 Expert Artist
Telise
There are plenty of people out there who play at that age (and older) one of them being me. The Minecraft YouTubers I have heard of are all about that age it seems.
01/28/2018 6:29 pm
Level 1 New Miner
Hamptoncriz
No you are not
I am looking for builders for my realm so if you are interested let know
01/28/2018 1:59 pm
Level 20 Expert Engineer
ShelLuser
Too old? I'm 47 years old and still seriously enjoy playing Minecraft.

As to not finding people of the same age: who cares about age in the first place? You don't judge a book by its cover, you don't judge a person by their looks so why would you judge someone up front by their age?

I've played amongst people (on a server) who turned out to be kids (12 - 14) yet were still much more mature than some 21 year olds I know. Don't judge people by their age, judge 'm by their behavior, you may very well end up surprised sometimes.

Of course I have to admit that I consider myself lucky with the server I play on because it has a very broad variety of players. There are whole families playing there and having a good time, so you can run into 14 year olds just as easily as you can run into 40 year olds :)
01/27/2018 3:42 pm
Level 34 Artisan Mountaineer
Indraft
the real question is if you're too young for minecraft
01/28/2018 11:30 am
Level 15 Journeyman Dragon
The FaiyaBLAST
Nobody's too old for minecraft, look at all those fully grown youtubers
01/28/2018 8:51 am
Level 1 New Miner
pinkandbluefish370
well... Most of the people I play with on minecraft are from ages 14-18... Idk why but they're more understandable and fun to play with (my opinion) xD. anyways you're never too old to play minecraft. Minecraft is a game for kids AND adults no matter what age. So, if you're looking to play with someone so that you won't feel left out, you can add me on discord (even though I'm 11 I'll pretend that I'm 16 xD). people say I have the mind of an 18 year old but I don't mind. Anyways, if you enjoy the game, play it! oh and almost forgot, my discord is @pinkandbluefish #6564
01/28/2018 2:12 am
Level 1 New Miner
DiamondBoy29
no one is too old for minecraft
01/28/2018 2:15 am
Level 1 New Miner
DiamondBoy29
i mean notch and jeb and the other devs are playing minecraft
01/27/2018 3:30 pm
Level 49 Master Lego Builder
Darth Feanor
Other peoples opinions don't matter as long as you are having fun, f they aren't getting any fun out of it then that is their issue, not yours.
If you want a few server ideas I would try lotr mod servers(it's 1.7.10, bit old ik but the mod is awesome). Usually the players on these are older...ish because... well idk. They are just older mostly.
01/27/2018 2:52 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
iiCarelessness
You're never too old for Minecraft.
01/27/2018 10:00 am
Level 9 Apprentice Artist
Prof_Jake_MQ
Dude, I'm 19 and I still play the game. Nothing wrong with you playing it as long as you enjoy the experience. (Cliché, but true.)
As for videos, that's a majority of what's on my channel. Do I get great views? No, but I enjoy making the videos, editing them, and uploading them. (Okay, maybe not the editing because I'm still figuring out what works for me.)
If you need someone about your age to play with, I'm always glad to hang with other Minecrafters. If you want to play sometime, PM me and I'll give you my Discord.
01/27/2018 5:48 pm
Level 37 Artisan Archer
oldpine_
No, I do not believe you’re too old for it. I’ve recently learned that as you get older and more mature, you tend to let go of the “childish” things. But you should hold on to what you love, even if the recommendation says ‘Ages 5-7’ They don’t mean anything. Don’t think Minecraft is too childish for you, it isn’t. Keep doing what you love, no matter what :)
01/27/2018 5:12 pm
Level 7 Apprentice Crafter
Stellar
Naw!, I have friends that are 20+ and they still play the game.
And, I encourage you to try Uploading some Minecraft content, to see if it's your Srongpoint.

I't also may be good to see what's changed in the game!
01/26/2018 11:36 pm
Level 29 Expert Warrior
IndyJacksonTT
Other people will say that 16 year olds should be playing games like COD and stuff.
Play it you have fun with it!
I still play it.
01/27/2018 5:45 am
Level 17 Journeyman Pirate
Homstad
Under no circumstances should anyone play Call Of Duty
01/27/2018 5:12 pm
Level 29 Expert Warrior
IndyJacksonTT
COD sucks.

Search

Browse